Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arcade Fire 2014

Default Re: Arcade Fire 2014

Can someone who was there please tell me what happened with Arcade Fire dissing the VIP and apparently marching into the crowd after getting cutoff

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonFisk View Post
    Can someone who was there please tell me what happened with Arcade Fire dissing the VIP and apparently marching into the crowd after getting cutoff
    About halfway through the set Win said something about how "this festival is big on different VIP areas and shit like that... then you go there and its not worth it anyway" and the crowd cheered.

We left during "Wake Up" so don't know the second part, but I know they ended around 12:02 with a midnight "hard cut off."

They were excellent.

EDIT: He also "dissed" EDM too, saying "shout out to all the bands at this festival playing instruments" a little after the VIP comment.
    Last edited by silver06; 04-14-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Arcade Fire = fucking fantastic tonight. Did the right setlist for the night, brought Debbie Harry for Heart of Glass + transitioned straight into Sprawl II. At the end of the set the band paraded (w/Preservation Hall Jazz Band - or at least could see their logo on the horns) into the audience and was getting parts of the crowd to sing the vocal melody to Wake Up - Win had a megaphone he was using.

7.23 - White Lung // 8.2-3 - HARD Summer // 8.7 - Jagwar Ma // 8.8 - Flume // 8.10 - Warpaint // 8.23-24 - FYF Fest // 9.5 - Feed Me // 10.8 - Kasabian // 10.12 - Speedy Ortiz // 10.25 - The Afghan Whigs // 10.31 - QotSA Halloween Show! // 4.10-12 - Coachella 2015 W1

Quote Originally Posted by summersnow View Post
    Arcade Fire = fucking fantastic tonight. Did the right setlist for the night, brought Debbie Harry for Heart of Glass + transitioned straight into Sprawl II. At the end of the set the band paraded (w/Preservation Hall Jazz Band - or at least could see their logo on the horns) into the audience and was getting parts of the crowd to sing the vocal melody to Wake Up - Win had a megaphone he was using.
    Exactly this! Amazing set by a fantastic band

I'm not a big arcade fire fan, I like them but I'm not a real follower of them. That being said they were fucking fantastic live. One of the better live acts I've ever seen. The VIP comment was great as was the instruments. They played with trombone shorty and his band (I think that's who it was) for at least 15-20 minutes after the cut off walking through the crowd. They wouldn't stop. It was absolutely classic

My knees gave out due to the sheer weight of it all. A religious experience everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by billypilgrimisunstuck View Post
    My knees gave out due to the sheer weight of it all. A religious experience everybody.
    Amen brother... It was absolutely magical. I don't think I've ever seen a band cast a spell over a crowd like that before. Something I will always remember and feel blessed to be a part of.

I believe it was Preservation Hall Jazz Band that joined them at the end.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

Mainstage sucks this year , another show where I felt the volume was way too low. Rediculous .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    He also "dissed" EDM too, saying "shout out to all the bands at this festival playing instruments"
    I suddenly have more respect for the band.

Pissed off Win Butler is the best Win Butler.

I saw them at their Coachella debut and it changed my standards for what is possible with live music. Every time I see them it's a new and exciting experience and I can't wait for next weekend to have a few neophyte friends of mine see for themselves...particularly with all I am hearing about their set last night.

Great set ..
    Loved it !

I thought Neutral Milk Hotel was the set of the day....
    then I saw Motorhead, and thought that was the set of the day...
    then I saw Arcade Fire.... set of the day.

One of my favorite Coachellas ... I can't believe I was depressed when I saw the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I thought Neutral Milk Hotel was the set of the day....
    then I saw Motorhead, and thought that was the set of the day...
    then I saw Arcade Fire.... set of the day.

One of my favorite Coachellas ... I can't believe I was depressed when I saw the lineup.
    So you did a 50/50 MH/ AF?

No I missed the start of Arcade Fire. I'm pretty sure I only missed the first 10-15 minutes. I just couldn't leave Motorhead... I'm not even a motorhead fan (until last nite). No regrets whatsoever.

Biggest crowd of the weekend for this set? Or smaller because of Sunday night?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the live feed didn't really show the crowd, which leads me to believe it wasn't that big.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Not a very big crowd , at least on the left side of the stage. That's always the best place to get closer to the main stage since everybody else filters in on the other side from the outdoor stage. Very manageable, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonFisk View Post
    I believe the quote was - "I just want to say that there's a lot of fake VIP room bullshit happening at this festival, and sometimes people dream of being there – but it super sucks in there, so don’t worry about it."
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

It was excellent. I was right in front of the mirror man and got to experience the show from both sides. It wasn't too crowded or plagued with obnoxious people.
    I was anticipating something like the ball drop from 2011 but left 100% satisfied. Last time I heard an artist diss the VIP was The Hives in 12'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    Biggest crowd of the weekend for this set? Or smaller because of Sunday night?
    No, smaller because EDM has pretty much taken over this festival, and I would bet Duck Sauce had a packed tent to close.

My gf and I spent a large portion of our time by the main stage this weekend since she hurt her leg this week and we could chill in the VIP area (cue Win Butler...). But, we got a decent look at many of the crowds. I'd say Calvin Harris and OutKast were by far #1 and #2 of the festival (heard Pharell and Skrillex were packed but didn't see them). Kid Cudi, MGMT, and Foster the People all had big crowds Saturday. Arcade Fire were respectable, but Muse and QOTSA were nearly empty.

After seeing what a Calvin Harris or Foster the People crowd looks like compared to an Arcade Fire or QOTSA crowd, I progressively think the lineup will become more and more "mainstream."

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    It was excellent. I was right in front of the mirror man and got to experience the show from both sides. It wasn't too crowded or plagued with obnoxious people.
    They are the only headliners I've experienced at a close range that didn't draw any assholes to the stage.

A big collective fucking hug to my good fortune of running into the group of boardies who gathered for that set. You guys elevated my experience big time. And did we have the perfect spot or what?!
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Where did you guys end up?

coachella is pretty dead..i mean..it's still fun if yer with a group of friends..but the crowds get worse and worse every year...which means shitty pop acts and edm crap..all people want to do is fist pump and jump up and down..that's fine and all if that's what you like..but it sucks coachella has turned into this crap now..i really can't see any old bands wanting to reunite at coachella anymore..unless it's purely for the money..could you imagine if the talking heads played coachella nowadays? be embarassing for them
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I'm immensely impressed by AF. They continue to dominate record after record, and despite this, don't lower themselves to the "comfortably successful" level that many artists do. They completely destroy every show they play and don't just walk off stage when it's over. The early days of the Reflektor release, they had post-show discos or DJ sets at many of their shows, and then there was last night's outro. You may not see them taking post-show parking lot selfies with their angsty teenage fans, but they deliver in a much more awesome way. I hope this energy returns for Weekend 2. Even if there is no surprise guest or a five-band parade, I have a feeling we won't be disappointed.

I forget how much I love this band until I see them live. Though it didn't top 2011, I still thought the set was magic. The Heart Of Glass cover was so fucking good.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Where did you guys end up?
    Several people in front of where Régine rose from/the Mirror Person was. And they ended up there when they came down the aisle.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Best set of the weekend. They were absolutely amazing.

StarsAreBurning's recollections sounds about right - "I just want to say that there's a lot of fake VIP room bullshit happening at this festival, and sometimes people dream of being there – but it super sucks in there, so don’t worry about it."

As for marching off into the crowd - after they finished Wake Up they all gathered up acoustic instruments, a bullhorn, and marched onto the field performing the "Whoa-oh!" part of Wake Up over and over again. They marched down towards sound board without ever leaving the barricade, then headed left of the stage. From the third row, I thought they went backstage to an artist area, but I could be wrong and everyone else is saying they went to VIP, so take my word with a grain of salt.

People at the front were not leaving. We could still hear "Whoa-oh!"s off in the distance, and it took a while for us all to give up and abandon ship. A couple of security dudes were were practically begging us to leave.

As of 12:25, I could still hear them. I like to think they're still wandering the desert banging on marching drums.