Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Queens of the Stone Age

Default Re: Queens of the Stone Age

Just makes pharell's bitching about the dust make him look even more like a little bitch. Josh's falsetto was wonderful all set.

I was seeing GZA at the Heineken House. As soon as it ended, I nearly ran it to the main stage for them. But as I got closer, I saw the crowd and I thought they had maybe shut down the main stage because of the sandstorm. I literally even asked what was going on. I thought the crowd would be WAY bigger than it was. I got up to the front with NO problem. In any case, that set was everything I had hoped it would be and more!

Nick Oliveri was also backstage.

I brought my group of like 15 to their set and EVERYONE was digging it which was cool to see. Especially since there were some people who basically spent the whole weekend in the sahara / do lab... Queens just rocked it as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    if he is scared of your noodle you may not get in with it.

This was the best set of the weekend. I've been seeing them for years and they are so tight as a unit now it's freaking awesome.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Nick Oliveri was also backstage.
    Was he really? I wonder why they didn't bring him out for Millionaire?
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

They brought him up and played millionaire last night in Portland. I was not there just read about it
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Yeah, they fucking ruled. It was my first time getting to see them and man, I definitely left that set thinking, "That's it? But I want more!" Won't be passing them up on one of their next solo tours, that's for sure.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by kronz420 View Post
    They brought him up and played millionaire last night in Portland. I was not there just read about it
    It's true. I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by kronz420 View Post
    Fuck yeah. If they bring him on stage Saturday night to play I'm going to lose my damn mind. That would be unreal.

that was a sexy set. that and warpaint were the sexiest sets of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Saw them in SF last night, and feel like I have truly experienced my first rock concert. I have been to crap load of shows but that show last night felt like nothing I have ever been to. It was flat out amazing.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Nick should have been at Coachella! Can't believe they brought him up at Portland and not at Coachella.

QoTSA was one of the best sets at Coachella. They just get tighter and tighter. Josh Homme and Queens deserve way more praise than they get. I think people think of them as super bro-y and aggressive, but they can do everything. From a more meaningful ballad to a song with drug names, from smooth and sexy grooves to fiery jams, they stay true to their sound and still expand their horizons with every album. They're underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

One of my favorite bands and sets of the weekend! Every time I've seen them they've killed it. Josh surrounds himself with amazing musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Nick should have been at Coachella! Can't believe they brought him up at Portland and not at Coachella.
    he was at coachella. he was backstage or off to the side. he just didnt play for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Best set of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona89 View Post
    Best set of the weekend.
    Agreed

I was shrooming hard when I got drawn to the mainstage when they were playing, never listened to their music before, but man I was left speechless, fucking amazing live sound.

I even dragged some of my friends who are more into hip hop and edm to this set and they fucking loved it. People forget how good a live rock show can be. When we got back to camp they were asking me to bump queens for them lol. If I had things my way they would have headlined over outkast on Friday.

They were easily the best set of Saturday and for me only 2nd to Arcade Fire. I agree that they are just getting better and better live. I really hope they play another SoCal show this year.

Disappointingly small crowd and a sand storm wasn't an excuse for it this time, but that just proves how stupid most Coachella attendees are, since this kicked even more ass than the previous couple times I saw them. Not my favorite set of the whole weekend, but easily my favorite on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post

QoTSA was one of the best sets at Coachella. They just get tighter and tighter. Josh Homme and Queens deserve way more praise than they get. I think people think of them as super bro-y and aggressive, but they can do everything. From a more meaningful ballad to a song with drug names, from smooth and sexy grooves to fiery jams, they stay true to their sound and still expand their horizons with every album. They're underrated.
    To the underrated claim - Yes and no.

As a live band, they are an absolute force...make no mistake, they crushed it both weekends...the type of band so technically adept, playing such complicated music, that like a Radiohead, I doubt more than 20% of the other musicians performing at the festival could even make a passable attempt at playing their stuff without looking like complete incompetents.

And as a producer, Josh is as sophisticated as anyone working in any metal oriented genre.

When you started talking about Queens/Josh as a songwriter/lyricist though...the underrated claims have to stop...he's a low-average home run hitter in that department...unreal when he nails it, but sooo many producery-wonky strike outs in his wake. Sometimes I wish you could combine Josh and Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet and you'd have the perfect stoner-rocker...Josh could provide the sophistication and the elite musicianship, Wyndorf his cheesier but much sharper sense of classic hard rock song structure.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by frztnvr View Post
    I was shrooming hard when I got drawn to the mainstage when they were playing, never listened to their music before, but man I was left speechless, fucking amazing live sound.
    I like this guy.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Great set as always. And their closing song, has got to be one of the best concert closers, of any band. They can stretch that song on for a s long as they want and it just keeps building. I think they actually ran 7 minutes over their set time. Beck got shut down both weekends, but they let the hometown boy rock it out.

Josh said something like... " We are Queens of the Stone Age. You can go home now. Which I did. What a set
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    They check your age at a rave? That means its not a rave.

Great set and the blowing sand only made it better..