Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outstanding in The Field

Default Re: Outstanding in The Field

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I think we should all give Gunz $30-50 and we could have a killer munch in her back yard
    She's over 18, you perv. Also she charges like $135 per minute.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

What the hell does serving a meal family style mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    What the hell does serving a meal family style mean?
    It's like when they bring a thirty pack of Molsons to the table and everyone just grabs how many he/she wants to drink. Then they bring more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

Oh like buffet style almost. Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

This is great. it really caters to a more mature crowd that comes to Coachella. The festival is becoming more than just a music festival...more thought filled food, more art...great move by goldenvoice. The festival continues to grow. I guess not everyone goes to coachella to go on a 3 day bender these days

Outstanding in the field is pretty awesome. My wife and I went to one just outside of Nashville in 2009 and we went to one just outside of Louisville, overlooking the Ohio River, last October. Tickets for the 2014 season go on sale today, and I will be buying tickets to the one near St. Louis. It is a really fun, cool event. It is expensive, but (the regular events, anyway) is totally worth it. In logging on to buy tickets today I saw that they were doing the event at Coachella, so I came here to see if you guys were talking about it. Since I am not goin gthis year, I hadn't been payin gthat close attention.

It is family style in that they bring big bowls and plates of the food, for everyone to share. People come from all over and you drink and eat and make friends. You usually get a tour of the farm it takes place on.

One of the things that makes it worth the money is that it is like a6 hour event, and is wholly immersive and you get into the farm and the land and the setting and you have nothing else to do but hang out and meet new people and enjoy the food, drinks and weather. I am not sure how that would work out at Coachella, if you also wanted your festival to be an immersive musical experience, where you enjoy the bands, the polo grounds and on-site artwork.

Here's a photo from the one outside Louisville last October: 1380782_10151662069442944_847228304_n.jpg

...click on link, I guess? not sure why that photo is acting like a thumbnail
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

That photo is beautiful and the event sounds like something my husband and I would enjoy, but don't think at Coachella. Seems like we would miss too much music. Will check and see if they'll have something near us in the future though.

Do you get access to a meal every day or is it just one meal the entire weekend?

I have heard from a reliable source that some chefs are pulling out of this...a number of issues making it difficult such as no refrigeration being provided and Outstanding is asking the chefs to make food for 300+ people which apparently is a lot more than a normal Outstanding event. Not exactly surprising, bound to be hiccups when they try adding new things.

Mass produced meal paired with the sounds of the Sahara tent, sounds like a lovely date.

Did anyone going weekend one get any kind of confirmation or more details on this? I'm going weekend two and no written confirmation or details, although I did have an email conversation directly with Outstanding in the Field that was pleasant enough about how this was their first time they hoped I enjoyed it. So far all I have is go to the Rose Garden and someone will have my name. I do have to write to Frontgate about this but I'm waiting a while since I have the time and maybe they'll sort it out after weekend one. I hope anyone going reports back. I bet people going weekend one who did the six hundred dollar package to get a pass are feeling pretty warm about it since it's now sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    It's like when they bring a thirty pack of Molsons to the table and everyone just grabs how many he/she wants to drink. Then they bring more.
    KUM-BA-YA, KUM-BA-YA,......
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDITWASSUMMER View Post
    Did anyone going weekend one get any kind of confirmation or more details on this? I'm going weekend two and no written confirmation or details, although I did have an email conversation directly with Outstanding in the Field that was pleasant enough about how this was their first time they hoped I enjoyed it. So far all I have is go to the Rose Garden and someone will have my name. I do have to write to Frontgate about this but I'm waiting a while since I have the time and maybe they'll sort it out after weekend one. I hope anyone going reports back. I bet people going weekend one who did the six hundred dollar package to get a pass are feeling pretty warm about it since it's now sold out.

My friends got 2 tickets for it for weekend 1. They have to pick up their tickets at will call but they didn't receive any confirmation for their dinner.
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

11/26 Circa Survive @ Club Nokia
    12/09 Common & Jay Electronica @ Irving Plaza
    12/20 Com Truise @ Glasslands

We opted out. I'm glad we made that decision.

And yes I charge $135 per minute, but I work very fast and efficiently.

Just got confirmation today about the dinner. We are going Friday at 730. They said we just need to check in sometime during the day after noon and we also get rose garden VIP for the day we are going which was kinda a nice addition. Will post back how the dinner goes and very happy with the purchase last Thursday as at first I was worried there would be tons of face value tickets last min which seems to be far from the case, hell 600 bucks for it now seems cheap compared.
    Coachella 08,09,10,11,12.1,13.1,14.1
    Wakarusa Fest 05,06,07
    Woodstock 99

feo - Did you go to Outstanding in the Field for Weekend 1? I just pulled the trigger on the Friday 7:30 pm slot for Weekend 2. My best friend and I booked our hotel and vacation time almost a year ago, but still didn't have tickets (we swiped them up on StubHub last year for $280 each and wrongly assumed we could do that again... clearly NOT happening this year.) The price tag stings a little... but seeing as nobody is going to be buying guaranteed resale tickets for less than about $650 at this point, I feel better doing this. But I would still love to know if you thought the dinner was worth the money.

The dinner comes with passes? You sure?

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    The dinner comes with passes? You sure?

You can buy a dinner alone or with a GA or VIP pass. Alone it's $225 a head. With a GA pass the total is $600 each. And they are still available except for the first seating Friday.

So how was it, for those who attended? Very curious.
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    ...but being this'll be my last year for a bit
    I seem to recall last year was supposed to be your last year for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

This time I mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    So how was it, for those who attended? Very curious.
    bump. I'd moderately intrigued, too.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

I'm curious as well. We walked into the Rose Garden when it was going on.

I did the Friday at 7:30 dinner for Weekend 2 (chef was Christian from Short Order on LA, whom I coincidentally knew from volunteering at a homeless kitchen in LA) and had an amazing time. You sit at a long table in the Rose Garden, lit with strings of patio lights, creating a perfect ambiance. Each section consists of about 6-8 people with whom you share a dish each time a course is brought out. The food was absolutely outstanding and each course has a wine pairing. As you walk in, you are handed a cocktail (ours was a perfectly-executed Moscow mule) like you're walking into a Real Housewives-style garden party (making it easy to forget that you were actually ankle-deep in dirt and trash all afternoon.) And your server definitely keeps your glass topped off throughout the evening. It was VERY enjoyable to be drinking at Coachella and not bidding adieu to my cash for each round. They don't rush you out at the end and I must say I was feeling pretty festive by the time dessert was done - perfect for the one (and only) hour I spent in the Sahara Tent that weekend.

If you're even considering forking over the money for this (no pun intended) I would say go ahead and do it. It was perfect for our situation of failing to buy tickets until the week-of (otherwise it would be a pretty big splurge.) It is certainly the ideal interlude to the exhaustion and deafening volume of the weekend (as long as you're not missing any of your must-see sets.) We also enjoyed being able to use the Rose Garden that day - better food and drinks (although with high prices obviously) and much shorter lines. My friends loved this the most, but it wasn't really a deal-breaker for me as I would much rather catch more bands than sit on the outskirts of the festival.

It seems like it was a pretty successful endeavor. I would imagine they will bring it back for future festivals and hopefully this will help someone determine whether it's worth the price tag for them.

Great to hear the food was delicious and you had a good time!

Although the service was great, I don't think I'd do it again. I went Friday to the first seating. The food didn't come out really hot and got cold pretty fast. The leaky sound of EDM was way too present. Part of it is the luck of having tablemates worth spending the time with. I had some nice people and some future AA members. Two women seated across and just down from me got stupid drunk, one flopping around like a fish in her boyfriend's arms and the other of them passed out, still laying flat on the table when I left. It was like a wedding reception. I will say this, if you want to get plastered there is no limit. You can probably get through three bottles of wine by yourself sitting there plus the cocktail. I met someone at Craft Beer who said she had a ticket for dinner but didn't even bother with it. I have a feeling a lot of people didn't. Also, the Rose Garden wasn't nearly as pleasant at the Craft Beer area. A few "stylish" people on couches. Empty bars in an empty barn. I thought, except for the roses, it was tacky.

I love a nice meal, but dropping $200+ for a meal at Coachella makes no damn sense. The last thing I want to act is 'formal'
    Give me a burger, fries and a beer and let me sit at a park bench and I'll meet some friends, hear some good music, watch the festivities..eat and off to another show.
    I can't believe they sold this thing out.

Those of you who went and had fun..congrats
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing