Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday is the Single Worst Day in Coachella History

Default Re: Saturday is the Single Worst Day in Coachella History

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    How did the Crystal Method ever have clout? God I hate LA.
    I'll take Crystal Method over Skrillex any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Do the Crystal Method still do that dj guitar shit.
    If it's their live set yes, if they DJ no.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I saw their dj set once years ago and it was incredibly boring. I really don't understand the attraction of these guys.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I saw their dj set once years ago and it was incredibly boring. I really don't understand the attraction of these guys.
    Their DJ sets are notoriously abysmal and quite different than their live sets. I certainly don't understand how there's any pressing attraction for the Crystal Method in any form in 2014, though.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I was going to disagree, then I typed out what I want to see on Saturday:

Pet Shop Boys
    Fat Boy Slim
    Mogwai
    Blood Orange
    Pharrell
    QOTSA

and yeah it's not as loaded as in past years, but it does sound like a fun day of music.

WE SHOULD BE HAPPY WE HAVE EARS BY WHICH TO HEAR MUSIC AT ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    Tom, you may also be interested in Bad Manners on Sunday. They have some good tracks like "Lip Up Fatty" and "Inner London Violence" - old school 2-tone ska in the house.
    oh shit those guys! it didn't even register. Yes. I know them. thanks for the prod.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Holy shit. the douchebros have taken over.

Ty Seagall will be cool. QOTSA, Mogwai, Dismemberment plan, ok, I should enjoy those.

But dear god the lineup that day is just flooded with bloodless, brainless, insipid pap.
    that's enough for me to make a day out of it. I might even catch a bit of Muse.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Tom, real talk, how drunk are you and I going to get together in the beer gardens on Saturday?

Temples seems pretty good for Saturday, they seem a bit like Tame Impala.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Tom, real talk, how drunk are you and I going to get together in the beer gardens on Saturday?
    YES
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I think it's going to be a boardie island orgy in the main stage beer gardens most of Saturday.

Kind of agree but there is definitely enough to keep me busy for Sat. I kind of like not having 20 acts I want to see on each day, makes it easier to decide between conflicts and less running around the polo fields and forgetting to eat food. Overall I think this lineup is solid though, Outkast is a long time coming and even though the other 2 headliners are repeats you know they will put on a good show to close each day.

I think the Pharrell thing is going to have the same effect the Phoenix rumors about DP did last year. The crowd was HUGE at the beginning of the set and then by the time half the crowd realized DP wasn't showing up they left and it was a great set either way. And then there was R. Kelly out of left field.
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I think it's going to be a boardie island orgy in the main stage beer gardens most of Saturday.
    The Fab 40's will set up camp.

Someone make a "reserved" sign we can keep on the table all day.

Pharrell's set is going to be an absolute blast. With the year he's had, I imagine there will be quite a few songs that are played where he just does his part (meaning Daft Punk, Robin Thicke, etc. of course won't be there) but I will be at this set if at all possible.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

i'll be there. Provided Mogwai isn't closing a stage.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    I don't know, I actually think the bottom three lines Saturday are the best of the three days, but the top three lines reads like a Hall Of Fame of The Worst or Most Unworthy Repeat Acts Ever

Muse, Skrillex, Foster The People, MGMT, Empire of the Sun, Sleigh Bells, Cage The Elephant, City and Colour.

Throw in Frank Turner and White Lies from Sunday and Chromeo Friday and there's just a real lazy feel to the repeat names on the lineup this year, as someone else said, like the undercard was all driven by personal industry relationships this year rather than genuinely trying to get the best new or at the top of their game acts into the fold. Why we're reading these names again instead of the likes of Parquet Courts, The Men, White Denim, Bill Callahan, These New Puritans, The Haxan Cloak, Primal Scream, Pixies, Television, Boards Of Canada, Mikal Cronin, Braids, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Deerhunter, Phosphorescent, Baths, John Grant, Frightened Rabbit, Hookworms, Valerie June, Okkervil River, Fuck Buttons, Jason Isbell, Deafheaven, The Besnard Lakes, Rhye, King Krule...etc, etc...is just beyond me...

More Big Pink/Stars caliber lame ass repeats in this line-up than any lineup ever.
    Don't forget The Head and the Heart. Yawn and a half. Every year there are some acts that would be best forgotten, yet somehow return. Pretty sure not a single person has listened to She Wants Revenge since their second album crashed harder than Paul Walker, yet they came back in 2011, for example, and good call on Stars, they were a let down in 2008 and flat out embarrassing last year. That having been said, all the mediocre repeats this year that you listed are at least understandable in the commercial sense of cementing the attendance of all the thekleins that love these acts, and that is a huge demographic.

Cibo Matto and Failure are reunited and around and they would have helped given Saturday that missing feeling of specialness. On the bright side, Warpaint, Chvrches, Mogwai, The Naked and Famous, Darkside, Queens of the Stone Age, Banks, Blood Orange, and cheesing it up at Pet Shop Boys would still be a full day if they don't all conflict. That's more than Saturday 2009 offered.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I didn't even register that Chvches are playing. I'll be there with bells on.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

YES
    Did you see Melt Banana at FFF Fest this year?
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    As guedita said, their dj sets are a snoozefest.

Their DJ sets are notoriously abysmal and quite different than their live sets. I certainly don't understand how there's any pressing attraction for the Crystal Method in any form in 2014, though.
    http://hypem.com/premiere/the%20crystal%20method

They finally have gone back to their Vegas / Tweekend sound, which can be obnoxious but usually pretty fun live. I'm not saying it's the best of music but much better than what the Crystal Method has produced previously and better than the crap they play in the Sahara.
    Last edited by Dustin da DnB Soulja; 01-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Saturday looks like a fun day to me

Pet shop boys, the head and the heart, Chvrches, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Blood Orange, the magician

I'm pretty excited for Saturday!

QOTSA, Pharrell (hopefully a hit filled dance party), Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Sleigh Bells, Ty Segall, Holy Ghost!, Bombay Bicycle Club, City & Colour, and fuck you all but I think Foster the People will have a fun ass set!
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Stop being so elitist, you filthy animals.
    Elitist? Because people don't want to settle for mediocrity? Have fun at Foster The People and Capital Cities.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Someone sounds angry that they paid 400$ for this lineup 6 months ago.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Someone sounds angry that they paid 400$ for this lineup 6 months ago.
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?57995-350
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

seriously, if you cross out a handful of names on saturday, like lorde, skrillex, and dillon francis, saturday is STACKED.

i haven't seen muse mentioned at all, for better or worse. you can't deny the magic that is matt bellamy.

as for foster the people and capital cities, sure they're radio whatever. but i've seen both of them live and they do put on a decent show. but there is so much good stuff going on on saturday. my record for bands seen in 1 day is 14, timed to where i caught full sets for the most part. average is 10. depending on the schedule, can you honestly tell me there are not 8-10 acts on sunday that aren't worth watching? MGMT's new album is great, empire of the sun is fun and their shows are a visual masterpiece, fat boy slim and nas both have some great nostalgic draw, and nas with damien marley in 2011 were amazing, dallas green of city and colour is one of the most amazing songwriters of our time, i dont know about live but chvrches album is kind of awesome, mogwai i've seen a billion times and will gladly see a billion more, the pet shop boys i don't feel like i should even need to explain, pharell williams could either be awful or amazing, but you should be able to figure that out pretty quickly, cage the elephant performed on letterman recently and it was pretty fucking awesome, holy ghost is always a good time, so why all the bitching? because lorde and skrillex? they shouldn't even show up on your radar. who cares where theyre billed?

/rant
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    Elitist? Because people don't want to settle for mediocrity? Have fun at Foster The People and Capital Cities.
    You don't pay attention.

Personally, I love Muse. They are admittedly a bit poppy at times but they do put on an excellent live show, if you' luke warm on them give them a shot live and see how you feel afterwards. QotSA should be a good time. Pharrel, Lorde, Meh. Pet Shop Boys+, Blood Orange will be a treat, and Cage the Elephant should be a good time as well. But man, when they announced FatboySlim I fangirled for a minute, then realized, he's not THAT FatboySlim anymore. If his set at Coachella is anything like what he did at Ultra, then I'm only in for heartbreak; just more of the same "EDM" mess that will ooze from Sahara all weekend. Who knows maybe he'll surprise us all and bring the breaks.

But you're all overlooking one of the most important elements: Skrillex

Why is this a GOOD thing?? Because a huge chunk of the traffic will all be clusterfucked at the end of the field and the civilized few who remain will enjoy thinned crowds an a few less obnoxious teenagers.

More over, if its not your day, just wander, you never know what tent might suck you in.

Go see Syd Arthur - like a really shitty dull version of Radiohead. (IE exactly like Radiohead)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by elbrycen View Post
    you can't deny the magic that is matt bellamy.
    This will look nice next to my sig from theklein.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    that's enough for me to make a day out of it. I might even catch a bit of Muse.
    The amount of alcohol I consume that day will directly correlate with how much time I spend watching Muse.