View Poll Results: How do you rate this year's lineup?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Approve – I love it!

64 33.68%
  • Approve – It's OK

77 40.53%
  • Average

34 17.89%
  • I Disapprove

14 7.37%
  • I'm Disgusted

1 0.53%

Thread: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ JANUARY

Default ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ JANUARY

Year 6. The ‘Official’ 2014 Coachella Lineup Approval rating.

How does the approval rating of the lineup change over time?

And how does it compare to the approval rating during the same time periods from prior years.

That’s what we are going to find out. This poll will expire at the end of January and after that, we’ll track the approval rating once per month until the festival itself.

Scale is 1 – 5, and I will publish the weighted average in each of the subsequent polls.

Results below:

Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 02-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Default Re: ~~ Official 2014 Lineup Approval Rating ~~ JANUARY

This will get the lowest rating of since you have begun doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    LIES
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    maybe i have low standards, maybe my taste in music is far too broad to handle, but in my book coachella has yet to create a lineup that is anything less than extraordinary.
    My girlfriend looks a little bit like Charlize Theron... and a lot like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Not sure whether to vote now

or Jan 31
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

coachella's new motto- recycle, reduce, reuse

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    coachella's new motto- recycle, reduce, reMuse
    ftfy.

*self high-five*
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    TRAVI$ SCOTT for 2015

Yeah, this is the most indifferent I've ever felt about a festival. It's not horrible but it's not great. I didn't bother to get a ticket this year and decided I've gone to too many festivals over the past 5 years.

I don't think Goldenvoice will care that they are dissapointing the more experienced crowd of festival goers because Coachella will sell out even if they booked a pile of shit and turds. I don't think this is the end of Coachella being a great festival either; My guess is this will be looked at as an off or "just okay" year.

At least I hope that's the case.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

The more I go through listening to the smaller font names, the more I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I voted too low, too preemptively...I am coming around as a whole. I think it hurt that the biggest surprises/reunions (OutKast, Replacements, NMH, The Knife) we saw months away this year. Surprisingly, when messing around with Boourns clashfinder, Saturday may have the worst potential conflicts...love a lot of the small acts that day.

This take from LA Times, though I don't necessarily agree with it, seems to be how the 'mainstream media' and 'new Coachella demographic' are viewing the lineup, even if websites like CoS and Coachella boarders aren't thrilled with it. Seems like GoldenVoice got what they wanted:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the most prestigious music festival in America, Coachella has prided itself on its adventurous booking, in particular its ability to draw high-profile reunions such as Rage Against the Machine in 2007 and Pavement in 2010. (That selling point comes in addition to the 15-year-old festival's sun-drenched setting and its reputation as a celebrity magnet.)

Yet last year Coachella fell short with an unimaginative lineup that packed little surprise. Among the headliners were Red Hot Chili Peppers, in their third Coachella appearance, and England's Stone Roses, who put in an almost comically terrible performance on the festival's opening night.

Even Blur, the great Britpop band who was playing in the U.S. for the first time since it got back together in 2008, triggered more warm nostalgia than fresh excitement.

Now, with OutKast on deck, Coachella seems back on track — even if the other headliners, Muse and Arcade Fire, leave a bit to be desired. (The latter, touring behind its dull 2013 album "Reflektor," played the festival's main stage three years ago — that's too recent for a return engagement.)

As always, the lineup is expansive enough to accommodate several narratives.

The OC Register also pretty much praised it (apart from saying there were no real surprises) - and said Saturday is the best day.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Its great but I was shocked to Arcade Fire again after headlining a few years ago

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    The more I go through listening to the smaller font names, the more I like it.
    That's how I am. Reminds me of 2011. Nothing too thrilling at first glance, but looking back, it's now one of my favorite years because I had such a good time and wasn't too stressed about conflicts since there really weren't any. I hope 2014 is a similar experience.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

I am also hoping for less conflicts than the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    This take from LA Times [...]

Perhaps the most prestigious music festival in America, Coachella has prided itself on its adventurous booking, in particular its ability to draw high-profile reunions such as Rage Against the Machine in 2007 and Pavement in 2010. (That selling point comes in addition to the 15-year-old festival's sun-drenched setting and its reputation as a celebrity magnet.)

...England's Stone Roses, who put in an almost comically terrible performance on the festival's opening night.

Even Blur, the great Britpop band who was playing in the U.S. for the first time since it got back together in 2008, triggered more warm nostalgia than fresh excitement...
    The LA Times is kind of retarded in it's musical tastes. But, I guess they are right about "mainstream" audiences.

I have not finished going through the bottom lines with smaller fonts, so I do not know yet if this is a good year, but this is the first year that there are not a bunch of bands on the 2nd and 3rd lines that I want to see and have not seen. I guess the undercard will make it or break it this time.

Siting at 3.98 on 1/18 @ 1:55pm MST.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I love this thread.

Data is fun!

I still find it so interesting that 2010 has, by far, the most popular line up pre AND post Coachella. I thought after ClusterfuckChella the approval rating would have dropped drastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

If 2008 had a poll, it would have been the highest post - after the addition of Prince
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I already like it and am sure it will keep looking better the more I listen to the undercard

While the upper card is pretty weak and overdosed with repeats, there are still some pretty good acts in the undercard and while some of the repeats might be underwhelming, I really can't complain about seeing acts like Arcade Fire again. Furthermore, they did pull out for some big acts that have never been there (OutKast, The Knife, The Replacements, Motorhead, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Afghan Whigs, etc.) and some pretty good acts that haven't been in a while (Queens of the Stone Age, Beck, etc.) While it might not be as good as say 2008 or 2011 or even last year, I think that this should still be a fun festival.