Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nas

Default Nas

I am cautiously optimistic about his set. He was great with Damian in 2011. Has anyone seen him solo since? Does he perform with a live band? I saw him solo about 10 or 11 years ago and he was boring as fuck and only performed with a DJ. I'm hoping for a better experience this time around.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Default Re: Nas

Saw him at a festival a little over a year ago, and it was pretty much exactly what you described for seeing him 10 or 11 years ago.

They played a concert of his on SiriusXM maybe like 8 months ago. It sounded good, had a live band, but he played mostly stuff off his new album. If I knew he would be playing stuff off of Illmatic, Stillmatic, Gods Son id camp out for him. But I already know he wont..

I'm actually optimistic for this performance. I imagine he will pull out all stops for his first solo Coachella set.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i believe he had a band at moog in 2012. i didn't see him though. time for him to bust out ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

This is an underrated booking, during the 2nd weekend of Coachella, Nas will be performing on April 19, 2014.
    Illmatic came out on April 19, 1994. Getting Nas for an exact date, 20th anniversary of the best hip-hop album of all time?

Coachella, you're sneaky.

I'm not sure what to expect of this set btw. I think Nas is the best rapper of all time, but it's hard for me to get excited about his shows. Hopefully he has a good band w/ a good timeslot.

Would love to see him close a tent on Saturday.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

if he was the best rapper of all time you'd think he'd be able to express that in a live performance.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Nas performing Illmatic in its entirety for the 20th anniversary of its release.

(Not going to happen)

not a big nas-live fan.... him with damien was way fantastic but alone he's too dull and too many adlibs/not smooth enough sound for me

All he needs is one mic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Saw Nas once each summer for the past 2 years. Both times with a live band + DJ set up. Both times a little heavy on Life is Good material, as to be expected with that being his latest. Still ripped through a lot of older material, including a killer medley of Illmatic stuff. Made You Look, One Mic, etc. It's all there. If you are a fan of Nas I don't see why you would skip this set. He's good live and IMO catered his set well to the festival crowd/setting (jammier mixes, less boom bap)

Life is Good was Nas' best album in at least 10 years. I would have no problem hearing him perform a lot of that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
    All he needs is one mic.
    winner.

Saw Nas in Eugene this past August and he was awesome. Played all of Illmatic plus all his big hits, no newer stuff. He packed about 20 songs into an hour set because he would do two verses and then dj would drop it straight into another song. I thought it was preferable to other hip hop shows and not having to listen to the MC blabber about president Bush and shit...... Schedule permitting I will see him again!

Nasty Nas is a must for me. One of my all time favorites. Good to see some older hip hop along with OutKast. Last time I saw him he had a band. This will be awesome.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

I'll be there. Saturday's top two lines are so weak that I am not even worried about conflicts. I figure some of the best of Life Is Good mixed in with nostalgic hits will make both the 20-something me and the middle school-me happy.

My friend who's into hip hop said something about him forgetting lyrics.

I probably will skip this because I have never consciously heard a Nas song in my life. More room for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

Nas performing Illmatic in its entirety for the 20th anniversary of its release.

(Not going to happen)
    Happened at Rock the Bells '11- He killed it.

I saw him this summer open up for STS9 at Red Rocks and he killed it. I thought he did an awesome montage of stuff from illmatic all the way to his new album life is good. The only thing is he had a live drummer which seemed to drown him out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by FRESH13 View Post
    I saw him this summer open up for STS9 at Red Rocks and he killed it. I thought he did an awesome montage of stuff from illmatic all the way to his new album life is good. The only thing is he had a live drummer which seemed to drown him out a little.
    Holy fuck Nas opened up for STS9? Did he owe them money or something? How the fuck does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Holy fuck Nas opened up for STS9? Did he owe them money or something? How the fuck does that happen?
    Because it's Nas?
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Can't believe NAS is so far down on the line-up.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    if he was the best rapper of all time you'd think he'd be able to express that in a live performance.
    I recently saw Rakim who is universally regarded as one of the greatest MCs of all time, apart from nostalgic appreciation it was pretty lack luster. Live hip hop is always a bit of a gamble. I loved Wu Tang the first time I saw them but after that I couldn't look past the fact that they're just yelling over each others lines with vocals that were entirely too loud. Quality live rap acts are more an exception than a norm I'd say.

Heard/read more negative than positive in terms of his live performances
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

I've seen him 5 times live (Twice with DM) and he's been great every time but the best time was the 1st time during the Hip Hop Is Dead tour. He went deep into his catalog and even did "Eye For An Eye" and "Verbal Intercourse". If his DJ rips through his catalog like that it'll be perfect.

Nas is one of the best live emcees IMO... I have seen him 4 times and each time has stood out in my mind. Im hoping we get Premier and Pete Rock like they did for the RTB '11. One of the best performances ever.
    2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015

Upcoming Shows:

10/25 Shigeto @ Glasslands Gallery
    10/29 Brother Ali @ The Knitting Factory
    10/30 togetherPangea @ Bowery Ballroom
    11/08 The Polish Ambassador @ Irving Plaza
    11/13 CunninLynguists @ Webster Hall
    11/22 St. Lucia @ T5

stage/time speculations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Gotta be main during the day right?

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Gotta be main during the day right?
    He was there in 2011 (with Damian Marley), so that's not a bad guess. Although they did a lot of hip-hop on the outdoor last year (J5, Wu-Tang, Aesop Rock, Raider Klan, Action Bronson, Danny Brown). Nas against Muse or Skrillex (if he plays main) would be epic.