Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FUCK YEAH DARKSIDE!!! (Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington)

Default Re: FUCK YEAH DARKSIDE!!! (Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington)

They were freaking amazing at the Fonda on Saturday night! Easily one of the best sets I've seen in quite some time. Perfect, really. Crowd noise wasn't a problem at all. In fact, from where I was (near the front), it really felt like Dave and Nico had the whole crowd just eating out of their hands. Easily a can't miss act for me at Coachella - would be just perfect for closing the Gobi or maybe even the Mojave.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Loved the show last night. Just as stated above, I hope they close out a tent. I wouldn't want to go try and see someone follow that up.

^ Observatory? I was there too.
    They were great!! I loved the giant mirror, haha.

Someone in the FYF thread said he talked to them last year and they said they are under the impression they are closing out a stage
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Ya, that mirror would work well in a tent

Quote Originally Posted by DFH no.6 View Post
    Well, that’s too bad, though I can see how this might happen (particularly with people fucking talking all through their set).

I love their recorded stuff, and I’m catching them live next week. I hope that experience is more like Doppler’s than yours, and I suppose that will make my decision on whether to catch them at Coachella or not (whenever they play in whatever tent, there will be a fuck-ton more people there than at the Crescent in Phoenix).

And I don’t get this thing (and seems to me it’s relatively recent, and by that I mean in the past 10-15 years or so) where people will just not shut the fuck up at concerts. So many live sets where, unless the band is a fun, loud dance-party, or simply loud, anyway, you can hear the audience over the music because people all around aren’t just talking, they’re shouting to be heard in some fucking conversation by their acquaintances (and thus by everyone else).

Darkside’s not the kind of music where people in significant numbers can pull that shit and not have it negatively affect the music, I don’t think.

GY!BE at Coachella in 2011 was a case in point. It was practically a religious experience because the relatively small crowd (still in the thousands) in the Mohave tent were totally, even reverently, into their music. Nobody shouting or even talking at all loudly (I’m not saying no one said a word) almost like a symphony concert. If it had been otherwise it not only would have ruined the experience, but I wonder if GY!BE might not have just stopped playing and told people to shut up or they were done.

There’s much about today’s music that I prefer over the “good old days” (say, the late 60s & 70s – and no, I don’t really think they were the “good old days” at all) but people yakking their fool heads off over who-the-fuck-cares-what at concerts isn’t one of them.

Or maybe I just notice now and didn’t then. Still sucks for performance of acts like Darkside.
    You saw shows in the late 60s & 70s? Not a lot of us still going to shows to make that comparison. Not sure there is more yakking as a general rule today. Seems to depend on venue and the crowd. My guess at Coachella is that if I'm close enough to the stage during Darkside, I won't notice anyone yakking in the back. I know that if there was any chatter during GY!BE I didn't notice it.

Bummed about not being able to see them. Was planning on it and then some other shit came up and couldn't go. Hopefully they play a show here again in the between week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    I was the guy who kept on yelling out "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "Something , Something, Something.. Darkside..."
    Amazing night, got to se all of Wooden Shjips and hung out with David after the show for a bit.
    Last edited by GeoffreyB; 01-27-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    The Faint/Reptar 6/05
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra 6/06
    Make Music Pasadena
    Jack White/Mr Little Jeans 6/10
    Jack White 6/12
    Touche Amore/DADS 6/27
    Mac DeMarco 7/11
    Arctic Monkeys/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 8/7
    FYF FEST
    Fun Fun Fun Fest
    Coachella 2015 w1

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyB View Post
    I was the guy who kept on yelling out "Lose Yourself to Dance".
    How do you live with yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

The Faint/Reptar 6/05
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra 6/06
    Make Music Pasadena
    Jack White/Mr Little Jeans 6/10
    Jack White 6/12
    Touche Amore/DADS 6/27
    Mac DeMarco 7/11
    Arctic Monkeys/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 8/7
    FYF FEST
    Fun Fun Fun Fest
    Coachella 2015 w1

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I'm going to see them next Saturday so I can avoid the Coachella conflict that will most likely happen.
    I saw them last night just for this exact reason.

Crap. Reeeeeally don't hope they close a tent (even though they will)

Even with Saturday being the worst day IMO, conflicts are going to be hectic at night
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    You saw shows in the late 60s & 70s? Not a lot of us still going to shows to make that comparison. Not sure there is more yakking as a general rule today. Seems to depend on venue and the crowd. My guess at Coachella is that if I'm close enough to the stage during Darkside, I won't notice anyone yakking in the back. I know that if there was any chatter during GY!BE I didn't notice it.
    Caught Darkside last night at the Crescent in Phoenix.

Fantastic performance, can’t wait to catch them again at Coachella! Love the spacey moving-mirror thing. Psychic was among my very favorite albums last year (really, of the past several years) and Darkside was even better than that live.

Often very evocative of Pink Floyd and, to me, the cosmic musical journeying of, say, Godspeed, mixed with crowd-pleasing modern dance beats. Trippy, complex, and just plain fun (and I was stone-cold sober, not always the case at concerts). I’m old so my feet hurt a little this morning.

And yeah, there was some crowd yakking during the music, even around us right up front (my wife’s and my usual spot in the corner). Definitely noticeable during the quieter song intros, but not bothersome once each tune got cooking. Other than the talking, the crowd was really into Darkside.

My wife agrees with me that this yakking deal is a fairly recent phenomenon that really was pretty unknown in the long ago time (our generation had plenty of its own problems, like bell bottoms and turning into Republicans, but constantly fucking talking during concerts was not one of them).

She has a theory that it’s related to the modern social media deal where people text, tweet, instagram, facebook, etc., constantly sharing every damn inane and petty thing in their lives. Concert socializing is a continuation of all that, just at a direct and personal level requiring talking loudly to be heard because there’s, you know, music playing.

They should all get off my fucking lawn.

Caught Darkside last night at the Crescent in Phoenix.

Fantastic performance, can’t wait to catch them again at Coachella! Love the spacey moving-mirror thing. Psychic was among my very favorite albums last year (really, of the past several years) and Darkside was even better than that live.

Often very evocative of Pink Floyd and, to me, the cosmic musical journeying of, say, Godspeed, mixed with crowd-pleasing modern dance beats. Trippy, complex, and just plain fun (and I was stone-cold sober, not always the case at concerts). I’m old so my feet hurt a little this morning.

And yeah, there was some crowd yakking during the music, even around us right up front (my wife’s and my usual spot in the corner). Definitely noticeable during the quieter song intros, but not bothersome once each tune got cooking. Other than the talking, the crowd was really into Darkside.

My wife agrees with me that this yakking deal is a fairly recent phenomenon that really was pretty unknown in the long ago time (our generation had plenty of its own problems, like bell bottoms and turning into Republicans, but constantly fucking talking during concerts was not one of them).

She has a theory that it’s related to the modern social media deal where people text, tweet, instagram, facebook, etc., constantly sharing every damn inane and petty thing in their lives. Concert socializing is a continuation of all that, just at a direct and personal level requiring talking loudly to be heard because there’s, you know, music playing.

They should all get off my fucking lawn.
    I've got gravel and bushes. No lawn, no problems.

The show in Austin was superb. Really great builds. Half the crowd was talking through the whole show though. Probably made worse by the fact that the show was at midnight on a Friday.

Darkside only played an hour though. I wonder if this has anything to do with the crowd or if all their sets have been that short.

That mirror is fucking cool.

10/19 Erasure, 10/22 Strand of Oaks, 10/31 Pitchfork Festival Paris, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/12 Tedeschi Trucks Band, 11/16 Heart, 11/19 Chrissie Hynde, 11/23 Caribou, 12/4 Melissa Etheridge, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent, 1/30 White Arrows, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

previous reports had them playing 80-90 with 2 encores.

any photos of this mirror? they didn't have any production at mountain oasis.
    Last edited by heart cooks brain; 02-01-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Only an hour? You got robbed. They played for nearly 2 hours, including their ~15-20 minute encore in Vancouver a couple weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Pretty great show. I was not expecting that many people in such a sizeable venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I think there was 1 encore. The main set was only 45-50 minutes. :-/

10/19 Erasure, 10/22 Strand of Oaks, 10/31 Pitchfork Festival Paris, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/12 Tedeschi Trucks Band, 11/16 Heart, 11/19 Chrissie Hynde, 11/23 Caribou, 12/4 Melissa Etheridge, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent, 1/30 White Arrows, 3/1 Fleetwood Mac, 4/17-4/19 Coachella W2

We almost missed the first part of the set due to the Buzz Mill being directly across the street. Glad they didn't start right at 11.

EDIT* Great place to grab drinks before a show.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 02-01-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Only an hour? You got robbed. They played for nearly 2 hours, including their ~15-20 minute encore in Vancouver a couple weeks ago.
    the show i was at was 55 minutes excluding encore. they could have done a two hour set if the show started when it should have and if they didn't have an opener. having the opener start almost two hours after doors is fucking stupid.
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

Went to the show at The Observatory and had a great time.

That being said, I'm glad I caught them before the festival because I can't imagine a Darkside set translating well in a tent. The lighting/intimacy of the show built up the mood perfectly to enjoy the music and their is absolutely no way to recreate that experience in a tent.
    Darkside - 1/26
    Robert DeLong - 1/30
    Scuba - 2/7
    Pusha T - 2/20
    Four Tet - 3/7
    Kraftwerk - 3/19
    Coachella - W1

Caught their show in Austin this past Friday and it was great. I recommend you guys catch this set at Coachella. Bummed they only played for about an hour.

I loved the mirror, spotlight, fog effect they do throughout the show . . . but that's probably not going to work in one of the tents, is it? I hope I'm wrong.
    Darkside (1/25)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzzzzup928 View Post
    Went to the show at The Observatory and had a great time.

That being said, I'm glad I caught them before the festival because I can't imagine a Darkside set translating well in a tent. The lighting/intimacy of the show built up the mood perfectly to enjoy the music and their is absolutely no way to recreate that experience in a tent.
    I’m not so sure about that.

I caught DARKSIDE last week in a fairly small venue (max crowd about 500) and the “intimacy”, as you put it, worked perfectly there. Wonderful set (around 90 minutes – could have done without the mediocre opening act).

However, Godspeed in the Mojave late in ’12 was also a quite intimate set (significantly more so than DARKSIDE’s performance, actually) and it was fantastic. The visuals were very different from DARKSIDE’s (a projection on the screen behind them of stark moving silhouettes, like graveyards and lonely roads and other dark and depressing stuff) but that, too, may have seemed difficult beforehand to pull off so well in a Coachella tent.

In fact, though, it worked out just fine there due to two primary factors: it was at night, and the crowd was completely into Godspeed (like not fucking talking over the music -- caught Godspeed a second time in '12 at the Rialto in Tucson and the experience was much diminished by all the goddamn crowd yakking).

If we get both of those things for DARKSIDE then I think being in a Coachella tent won’t be a problem for their performance, either, visuals included.

Catch a live stream now: http://concert.arte.tv/fr/darkside-au-stereolux (it's been going on for a bit already, sorry for posting late)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I’m not so sure about that.

I caught DARKSIDE last week in a fairly small venue (max crowd about 500) and the “intimacy”, as you put it, worked perfectly there. Wonderful set (around 90 minutes – could have done without the mediocre opening act).

However, Godspeed in the Mojave late in ’12 was also a quite intimate set (significantly more so than DARKSIDE’s performance, actually) and it was fantastic. The visuals were very different from DARKSIDE’s (a projection on the screen behind them of stark moving silhouettes, like graveyards and lonely roads and other dark and depressing stuff) but that, too, may have seemed difficult beforehand to pull off so well in a Coachella tent.

In fact, though, it worked out just fine there due to two primary factors: it was at night, and the crowd was completely into Godspeed (like not fucking talking over the music -- caught Godspeed a second time in '12 at the Rialto in Tucson and the experience was much diminished by all the goddamn crowd yakking).

If we get both of those things for DARKSIDE then I think being in a Coachella tent won’t be a problem for their performance, either, visuals included.
    Hopefully we have the same luck with DARKSIDE's set this year.

Unfortunately I've seen many sets at Coachella where people were constantly talking/shouting during the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Catch a live stream now: http://concert.arte.tv/fr/darkside-au-stereolux (it's been going on for a bit already, sorry for posting late)
    For what it's worth, that link is amazing and it's still live - you can still stream the set. So, thanks casey!!
    Darkside (1/25)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    thanks for posting. i caught the last 20 min or so. makes me want to see them even more than i already wanted to.. i've concluded a darkside / PSB clash would be the biggest bummer all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray del Mundo View Post
    For what it's worth, that link is amazing and it's still live - you can still stream the set. So, thanks casey!!
    Quote Originally Posted by imademilwaukee View Post
    thanks for posting. i caught the last 20 min or so. makes me want to see them even more than i already wanted to.. i've concluded a darkside / PSB clash would be the biggest bummer all weekend.
    Glad you guys enjoyed it.

There aren't very many full live performances of Darkside out there that I've found so it's definitely worth checking out if you are curious. I plan on not missing this set but hoping that there won't be brutal conflicts. Hopefully it works out that Darkside will be against Muse so that I can rush over to whatever tent they're playing (Mojave in my mind) after QOTSA and hopefully get a good spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.