Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

Default Re: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope11 View Post
    Dude me too I'm terrified that Disclosure will be against Arcade Fire
    I seriously doubt Disclosure plays against the Sunday headliner AGAIN this year. Even though there was enough time to see both the Shitty Peppers and Disclosure, I'd bet they get the Outdoor slot just before Arcade Fire goes on the Main
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I seriously doubt Disclosure plays against the Sunday headliner AGAIN this year. Even though there was enough time to see both the Shitty Peppers and Disclosure, I'd bet they get the Outdoor slot just before Arcade Fire goes on the Main
    Do you think the outdoor will be quiet during Arcade Fire or do you see someone like lana del rey closing it out?

Quote Originally Posted by rs.paris View Post
    Do you think the outdoor will be quiet during Arcade Fire or do you see someone like lana del rey closing it out?
    I think the Outdoor could be empty for Arcade Fire. Doesn't the Sunday Headliner usually play with a silent Outdoor?
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I think the Outdoor could be empty for Arcade Fire. Doesn't the Sunday Headliner usually play with a silent Outdoor?
    In the past 4 years, yes. Gorillaz, Kanye West, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg and Red Hot Chili Peppers all had an empty Outdoor Theatre during their sets. It doesn't seem to be limited to just Sunday though, it depends on the act. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did play the same time as Arcade Fire. I feel like if only one main stage closer will go unopposed this year, it will be OutKast.
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 01-20-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

yeah, I'd bet OutKast plays to an empty Main, and I think Arcade Fire will as well

Having made it through 17 pages of this and with a great appreciation for treating trivial matters with all seriousness (and I say this with all seriousness), I surely hope you are wrong about Friday. I'm not sure if your early psych/guitar acts are spread out enough over the early hours to get someone like me (a guitar/psych guy) to the Replacements (I may have to open my mind - gasp!). There's a big gap to Jon Spencer to Bryan Ferry and then from Ferry to the Replacements (though Grouplove is a guilty pleasure, I must admit). Then there is a cluster of Replacements/Broken Bells/Afghan Whigs. Not criticizing by any means as this is great work, just adding my $.02 and hoping they spread these out a bit.

PS, I'm pretty confident they put Ferry in a tent, maybe even the Replacements (though I hope not). The last two years, most of the 80's (and older) acts (Squeeze/Marr/OMD/Rodriguez/3:00/Buzzcocks/fIREHOSE) have been relegated to tents, with the exception of the Femmes (which was playing amphitheaters in the 80's and has more mainstream-recognizable songs, as opposed the 'Ments topping out at Palladium-level shows) and Social D (early 80's LA punk but found their popularity in the 90s). And we all know what happened with the Stone Roses last year.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    PS, I'm pretty confident they put Ferry in a tent, maybe even the Replacements (though I hope not). The last two years, most of the 80's (and older) acts (Squeeze/Marr/OMD/Rodriguez/3:00/Buzzcocks/fIREHOSE) have been relegated to tents
    No way in hell do The Replacements play a tent.

Its like some people think billing has no relationship as to where they will play. If you are one of the first 3 bands billed... you are not playing a tent. (Unless you are an EDM act, which means it is very possible you are playing the Sahara).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

How about moving Preservation Hall Jazz to opening the Main on Sunday. They are a big outfit and usually bring out "special guests."

Also, to echo previous posts, no way Frank Turner plays that early on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    he has a full orchestra, you think that would fit on one of the tent stages?????????
    Yes. You dope. Look at how big the stages on these youtubes of his live show are. You think those stages aren't as big as the tents at Coachella?????????????????????

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

yes especially with his large screen behind him as well?????????????????????????????????? I also have more question marks so therefore I win the argument.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

First of all, that screen is not that big. At least, it's not bigger than the stage they are on. And the stage they are on is as big as if not smaller than the Gobi. Second of all, this strange thing sometimes happens at festivals where acts do not always perform the same stage set up they've been performing on their solo tours. This is also the reason why "they need to play at night," a claim that is typically borne from people seeing bands on their solo shows (at night) is a dumb claim.

Im sure im wrong but I will fight till the end sooooooo your dumb they are going to play at night on the main prob after the headliner because thats the only thing that makes sense since they have 100 musicians and a screen the size of a beluga whale.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

The beluga’s body size is between that of a dolphin’s and a true whale’s, with males growing up to 5.5 m (18 ft)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Im sure im wrong but I will fight till the end sooooooo your dumb they are going to play at night on the main prob after the headliner because thats the only thing that makes sense since they have 100 musicians and a screen the size of a beluga whale.
    Who the hell are you even talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

woodkid
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

beluga joe and the gang

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    woodkid
    Oh who gives a shit about Woodkid?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Its like some people think billing has no relationship as to where they will play. If you are one of the first 3 bands billed... you are not playing a tent. (Unless you are an EDM act, which means it is very possible you are playing the Sahara).
    Past history says you're right and I hope (and believe) you are. But last year they had a reunion of a seminal 80's band that did not enjoy great popularity in their day and that crowd could have fit in my garage (an exaggeration, but only just) and this is a festival that tends to heed lessons learned.

You guys, how can this fit in a tent?

Just look at that monstrous screen behind that colossal orchestra. How ever will they figure out how to fit that into any of the giant tents that have already hosted much larger bands and more elaborate stage productions? You guys don't get it.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

In already admitted I was wrong you illiterate fuck why continue to beat a dead horse..........

In already admitted I was wrong you illiterate fuck why continue to beat a dead horse..........
    sig'd
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

I am amenable to the idea of Woodkid closing the Mojave.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    How about moving Preservation Hall Jazz to opening the Main on Sunday. They are a big outfit and usually bring out "special guests."

Also, to echo previous posts, no way Frank Turner plays that early on Sunday.
    Agree on both.

Those early main spots have frequently been good for somewhat atypical acts - Skinny Lister, Hello Seahorse, Trampled by Turtles, Los Bunkers, Zoe, etc.

I'm feeling Frank Turner gets the Mojave around 5. His act is high energy and fits way better in a tent than the Outdoor.
    Last edited by grichsgang; 01-21-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Unlocking the Truth in their incredibly logical, considerate, and heartwarming early/sunny/conflict-free slot makes me laugh about how sure we were in 2011 that Scala and Kolacny Bros would be on the main early since they were so young, only for GV to have them play from 12:00-1:00 against the Chemical Brothers. The most nonsensical and ruthless scheduling this festival has ever done...they flew a bunch of 12 year olds over from Eastern Europe to play to 50 people well past their bedtime.

Unlocking the Truth in their incredibly logical, considerate, and heartwarming early/sunny/conflict-free slot makes me laugh about how sure we were in 2011 that Scala and Kolacny Bros would be on the main early since they were so young, only for GV to have them play from 12:00-1:00 against the Chemical Brothers. The most nonsensical and ruthless scheduling this festival has ever done...they flew a bunch of 12 year olds over from Eastern Europe to play to 50 people well past their bedtime.
    That was the most puzzling set time I've ever seen. I have a hunch that there were some post-contract, pre-show dealings that angered the GV folks such that they gave them a "we'll show you" time. Putting on the main early would've been a nice serenade for people walking the upper fields in the early afternoon hours.

Flume into Shlomo to close the Gobi against Outkast would be so sad. Glad it's being predicted here so that it wont actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    That was the most puzzling set time I've ever seen. I have a hunch that there were some post-contract, pre-show dealings that angered the GV folks such that they gave them a "we'll show you" time. Putting on the main early would've been a nice serenade for people walking the upper fields in the early afternoon hours.
    That is moderately believable, but even then, they took their anger out at a bunch of middle schoolers over the difficulties of their management? Just truly bizarre, almost to the point that it would be funny but those that were there said the kids looked like they were about to cry because there were so few people.

That was fucked up. Had I gone, I would have been there. They were one of the most interesting bookings that year.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I really hope it is White Lies > Capital Cities > MGMT > Foster the People > Lorde > QOSTA > Muse. But that'd be too perfect and some shitty hip hop act is going to ruin the flow.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana