Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

Default Re: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

The Dismemberment Plan closing the Gobi does makes sense programming-wise, but those poor guys are going to have like 100 people in that tent. Darkside could still hold their own against Skrillex, PTS, Fatboy, etc. And technically, they're just as much/if not more of a "guitar-band" that Sleigh Bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    This is where GV quietly sneaks a solo set from Nico Jaar onto the poster.
    I so hope this happens. A Nico Jaar Yuma set would instantly shoot to near the top of my must see list. But alas, I will not be getting my hopes up.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

I took another shot at the set times, starting with the original Clashfinder and mixing a few things up a bit. I'm not sure on the protocol/etiquette for adding another public Clashfinder for 2014, so it's set as private right now - I'm just copying the image below. If you want access PM me, or if it's in good form and people are interested I can set it to public.

http://i.imgur.com/FzlGbRf.jpg

Major changes:

Friday
    - Replacements switch with AFI and are now closing the Outdoor. This moves Girl Talk up one spot on the main. Like him or hate him I think Girl Talk on the main stage as a dance party warmup to The Knife and OutKast makes the most sense.
    - Jagwar Ma moved way later on the Outdoor. They're not playing before 3pm.
    - Ellie Goulding closing the Gobi. She's one of the few acts on the bill whose fan base (skewing much younger) might have limited interest in OutKast.
    - A$AP Ferg and Aloe Blacc moved to back-to-back spots on the Outdoor.

Saturday
    - Nas and Pharell moved to main stage. With all the guests he'll actually have, and the inevitable Daft Punk rumors, I think Pharell ought to be on the main. Nas makes sense before him around sunset.
    - Queens of the Stone Age closing the Outdoor. This makes sense as a complement to all the electronic music that's playing otherwise (Skrillex, Pet Shop Boys, Fat Boy Slim).
    - Lorde now second on the Outdoor, against Muse. They probably have some crossover but I actually think this is a pretty painless conflict.
    - Pet Shop Boys closing the Mojave in spite of their Facebook post, FBS closing the Sahara. This just makes more sense to me.
    - RL Grime moved back in the Sahara. He's a bigger name than GTA and Galantis, especially for the SoCal-heavy Coachella crowd.

Sunday
    - Calvin Harris gets a longer set and moves back a spot to avoid a conflict with Arcade fire. Alesso closes down the Sahara with Duck Sauce leading into Calvin Harris.
    - Chance the Rapper moves to a later spot on the Outdoor (versus an earlier on the main). He has a significant and devoted fan base but this just feels like a show that will play better on a more reasonably-sized stage.

Queens will be on the main stage.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

We need Olof from The Knife to play a DJ Coolof set in the Yuma. It's his first Coachella and obviously he doesn't come around very often. Make it happen GV!!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

You guys could not be worse at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

DJ Falcon will be in the Sahara. I just saw him at Treasure Island and his set is not Yuma at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

uclaben, your ideas are fine except for the Replacements moving to anything but the Main. I can see you're coming from, but 3 consecutive rare acts on the main would be a huge deal for one stage
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    We need Olof from The Knife to play a DJ Coolof set in the Yuma. It's his first Coachella and obviously he doesn't come around very often. Make it happen GV!!
    Not going to happen.

Olof, I understand that as Oni Ayhun, you only perform at events where there is gender parity on the lineup. Will you extend that to the Knife's bookings?
    Olof: "With my solo project, I've been using the approach that I only perform at nights or festivals that have no more than 50% people who identify as men. Now that we go on tour with the Knife, we are on a completely different level. We have gone about it a bit differently. We've asked for statistics and figures on this and last year's representation of men and women onstage, and together we can kind of get a picture of how things are. What we will do with that, we haven't really decided. We do take it into consideration, but we haven't been that strict — I mean, if we were to use that policy as I did before, we wouldn't play at one single festival. That's what happened with my solo project, I could only do single nights where there were three or four artists, and I could be part of selecting the other ones. At festivals, the average is around like 80/20, sometimes worse, sometimes a bit better."
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

^ That is very interesting but I would still love for it to happen and it he makes it sound like it isn't a completely set in stone rule.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

To Boourns clashfinder, I don't think Empire OF The Sun and Muse will conflict. I think they will play the Outdoor either right after or before Muse, depending if Muse closes the Main on not
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

There is zero chance Ellie Goulding is in the Gobi and zero chance she is against Outkast

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    which is why I endured that 2 Chainz bedlam, of course.
    Tell me you were the guy on the rail (obviously waiting for Natasha) who shielded his face in abject misery and disgust when the crowd camera zoomed by the front row. Checked it out with a friend before leaving to see the end of Ben Howard, and that was my favorite moment of the whole shitshow.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-22-2014 at 01:59 PM.

What's the link to Boourns's clashfinder?

11/7 Dean Blunt @ Jewel's Catch One
    1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel

This thread seriously need to be divided up into separate days with the link to the clashfinder posted in the first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Tell me you were the guy on the rail (obviously waiting for Natasha) who shielded his face in abject misery and disgust when the crowd camera zoomed by the front row. Checked it out with a friend before leaving to see the end of Ben Howard, and that was my favorite moment of the whole shitshow.
    I wasn't quite at the rail. I had been waiting since the band before Savages, but here that isn't nearly early enough.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    This thread seriously need to be divided up into separate days with the link to the clashfinder posted in the first post.
    This!!!
    Fun Fun Fun Fest
    Dads 11/12
    Ryan Hemsworth 12/9
    Coachella 2015 w1

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Agreed. Any way we can lock this thread up admin?

The Flatbush Zombies won't bleed or play against A$AP Ferg as their fan base is exactly the same.

Their "mobs" are actually friends and have collaborated on songs together.

Here's what I've got for Sunday night: (Yuma headliner Laurent Garnier)

why would flostradomus be in the mojave

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Wheeler View Post
    Here's what I've got for Sunday night: (Yuma headliner Laurent Garnier)
    I'd be stunned if Motorhead is on the schedule at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    why would flostradomus be in the mojave
    •Counterprogramming to Calvin Harris. Need to have some hip hop/trap to close it out.
    •Flosstradamus has a history of a darker stage show in terms of lighting so they wouldn't necessarily need the sahara set-up.
    •modeselektor, dj shadow,gaslamp killer, Flying Lotus have all played sets outside of the sahara.

•Counterprogramming to Calvin Harris. Need to have some hip hop/trap to close it out.
    •Flosstradamus has a history of a darker stage show in terms of lighting so they wouldn't necessarily need the sahara set-up.
    •modeselektor, dj shadow,gaslamp killer, Flying Lotus have all played sets outside of the sahara.
    You do realize that not all electronic music needs to get played in the Sahara, right? And that Flosstradamus has far less in common with acts like Modeselektor, DJ Shadow and FlyLo than with the general shit that goes in the Sahara?
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    You do realize that not all electronic music needs to get played in the Sahara, right? And that Flosstradamus has far less in common with acts like Modeselektor, DJ Shadow and FlyLo than with the general shit that goes in the Sahara?
    Trap vs House
    Flosstradamus vs Calvin
    Those are not largely overlapping crowds.

I'm just saying that there's a history of electronic sets with a hip hop influence outside of the sahara. Modeselektor obviously is not the best example but DJ shadow and FlyLo are.

And I would normally put flosstradamus in the sahara but calvin, alesso and duck sauce can't exist outside of the sahara aside from calvin on outdoor theater but I don't think that's going to happen because he's a perfect sahara closer and definitely fits in the sahara if he's up against flosstradamus.
    Last edited by Ferris Wheeler; 01-24-2014 at 05:11 PM.

To play devil's advocate, TNGHT and Infected Mushroom were out of the Sahara last year. Sub Focus closed the Mojave in 2012 too, against Radiohead. So it's not always just the critically acclaimed EDM acts that play outside of the Sahara. I'm not saying throw Flosstradamus outside the Sahara based purely on the possibility of it happening, but it's not completely out of the ordinary for some of the heavier, hip-hop leaning, or more aggressive stuff to be out of the Sahara, even with a large setup.

If there is enough room in the Sahara for him, that's still probably the best place though.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-24-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Flosstradamus will be in the sahara. They are the epitome of sahara bro music. Plus no other stage has speakers necessary to handle them. TNGHT in the Gobi was a shit show because there wasn't enough bass to handle their sound. Flosstradamus anywhere but Sahara would be worthless.

I wouldn't label TNGHT as standard "Trap"

Their stuff (especially live) isn't like that generic repetitive 808 kick, snare and whatnot that Flosstradamus currently capitalizes on.

Flosstradamus will play the Sahara
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Trap vs House
    Flosstradamus vs Calvin
    Those are not largely overlapping crowds.
    lol@u. I believe those are both within the spectrum of "Im rolling face and don't care about music whatsoever". Trap and cheese-house are very closely related. Hyped up for no apparent reason, except for the above, and shit in every technicality.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

I sense the dance acts could be placed a lot differently, and seeing as I comfortable calling that my area of expertise as it's sort of what pays the bills, I'll offer my two cents here (times provided for Yuma, not for Sahara but Sahara in order I imagine):

FRIDAY YUMA
    Dixon 1045-0100a
    Damian Lazarus 0900-1045
    Solomun 0730-900
    Duke Dumont 0600-0730
    Hot Since 82 0445-0600
    Nina Kraviz 0330-0445
    DJ Falcon 0200-330
    Davide Squillace 0100-0230

FRIDAY SAHARA
    Zedd
    The Glitch Mob
    Girl Talk
    Martin Garrix
    Carnage
    Gareth Emery
    Deorro
    Mako
    Carbon Airways

SATURDAY YUMA
    Fatboy Slim 1030-0100a
    Tiga 0830-1030
    Guy Gerber 0630-0830
    Cajmere 0500-630
    The Magician 330-500
    Nicole Moudaber 230-330
    Local opener 0100-230

SATURDAY SAHARA
    Headhunterz (only play until 1230 or so, so everyone floods Main for Skrillex)
    Dillon Francis
    RL Grime
    GTA
    TJR
    Galantis
    MAKJ
    Netsky
    UZ

SATURDAY MAIN STAGE CLOSER
    Skrillex - like it or not it’s happening 1150-0100

SUNDAY YUMA
    Maceo Plex 0945-1200
    Art Department 0800-0945
    Laurent Garnier 0530-0800
    Lee Burridge 0400-0530
    The Martinez Brothers 0245-400
    Scuba 0130-245
    Bicep 1200-0130

SUNDAY SAHARA
    Calvin Harris
    Alesso
    Duck Sauce
    Flosstradamus
    Adventure Club
    Krewella
    Showtek
    Aeroplane
    Anna Lunoe
    Last edited by mmblack; 01-27-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    mmblack = Paul Tollett