Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

Default Re: 2014 Set Times Prediction Thread??

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I feel like the ONLY way Pharrell could play the Mojave is if he is put directly against Muse.
    Not even this...I agree with your post on all three counts though.

What is Pharrell's live show like? Does he have a band who tours with him? Does he just have a DJ with him? What is the deal?

Also, is Pharrell really that popular? I think you guys are overstating it just a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Oh my god. Really?

Like this will be on the mainstage you fucking nutsos.

Pharrell and Lorde are that popular. I think we'll see Pharrell --> QotSA -- Muse --> Skrillex.

But Pharrell on the outdoor during Muse is also a total possibility.
    Last edited by guedita; 01-17-2014 at 03:51 PM.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

I could definitely see Ellie, Lorde and Pharrell on the main. And I will definitely stay far away from all.
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

I really think that Bryan Ferry will get the outdoor sunset slot on Friday.

hahahahahahaha. How the hell did that fuck wind up so high on the bill this year. What a shit performance. Watch GV throw him in the Sahara after realizing he is nothing but a generic, untalented, yet supadope MC with a completely lackluster, do-nothing, yet hyphy hit playing DJ. Fucking Pharrell Williams.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

I could see Pharrell late on the outdoor. That does seem most likely, actually. I do not see Lorde playing as late as she is scheduled on the Clash Finder though.

Made some changes, mostly per guedita's posts.

I am warming up to the idea of putting Pet Shop Boys back in the Sahara because I don't imagine anyone in the current Sahara crowd would ever choose Fatboy, Dillon, or any of the other acts over Skrillex on the main. It's like, why even bother having it open if it's going to have just 200 people too high to know where they are? At least PSB have an older, completely different fanbase. Thoughts?

In any case, there needs to be at least one guitar act closing a stage on Saturday. If not Mogwai, then who?

Also, there is an extreme disbalance between the Sahara and Yuma on Saturday. Can someone just list 8 acts per day for the Yuma in running order and 10 for the Sahara?
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

I don't see Bryan Ferry playing on the outdoor, definitely seems more of a mojave act.

PS grouplove is in there twice

I strongly suggest swapping laurent garnier and krewella. Krewella in the sahara makes way more sense. They are straight up edm cheese ball bullshit for the masses whilst laurent garnier is a techno legend for the chin stroking electronic afficianados.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

I am warming up to the idea of putting Pet Shop Boys back in the Sahara because I don't imagine anyone in the current Sahara crowd would ever choose Fatboy, Dillon, or any of the other acts over Skrillex on the main. It's like, why even bother having it open if it's going to have just 200 people too high to know where they are? At least PSB have an older, completely different fanbase. Thoughts?

In any case, there needs to be at least one guitar act closing a stage on Saturday. If not Mogwai, then who?

Also, there is an extreme disbalance between the Sahara and Yuma on Saturday. Can someone just list 8 acts per day for the Yuma in running order and 10 for the Sahara?
    I think there are plenty of people that hate Skrillex and would choose to see Fatboy Slim in the Sanara instead. Dillon Francis, not so much. Although, I do hope PSB close the Sahara.
    Upcoming Concerts:
    16/1- Jagwar Ma @ The Hi-Fi, Melbourne, VIC
    21/1- Toro y Moi w/ Portugal. The Man @ The Hi-Fi, Melbourne, VIC
    22/1- Arcade Fire @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne, VIC
    23/1- Grouplove + CSS @ The Hi-Fi, Melbourne, VIC
    18/4-20/4- Coachella Weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    hahahahahahaha. How the hell did that fuck wind up so high on the bill this year. What a shit performance. Watch GV throw him in the Sahara after realizing he is nothing but a generic, untalented, yet supadope MC with a completely lackluster, do-nothing, yet hyphy hit playing DJ. Fucking Pharrell Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    Taking you seriously and assuming you aren't a troll, do you know anything about hip-hop? As half of the Neptunes, this man is one of only three people since 2000 that have influenced the entire SOUND of hip-hop, the other two being Timbaland and Kanye West. He is responsible for like half of the rap hits between 2000-2008 (but as early as '91) and I'm barely exaggerating. He's not an MC you doofus, he's a producer and song writer who happens to have some solo hits as well, and was basically a taste maker.

These are some of the artists he has produced and written multiple hits for. Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, Usher, Beyoncé , Nelly, Ludacris, Clipse, Britney Spears, Madonna, Daft Punk, Robin Thicke, Snoop Dogg, Mystikal, Busta Rhymes, Janet Jackson, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt and solo Gwen Stefani...in many cases he is responsible for practically entire albums of those artists.

Look up the Neptunes discography Wikipedia. It's ridiculous . He is one of the most influential figures in contemporary pop and rap that has ever existed.

Every typical Sahara type will be at Skrillex and Pet Shop Boys did say they would be headlining the "dance stage" I know SMD said they were playing The Sahara last year, but maybe Pet Shop Boys requested to play there?

I don't know who is planting bad seeds into this thread but outkast will probably not have a silent outdoor, if afi doesn't get that early evening main stage slot then they could probably play 60 min to 75 min closing the outdoor
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    do you think there's any chance Lorde and Nas would switch places? Not that I think Lorde deserves to headline anything, I just don't want a potential Nas vs Mogwai conflict

pls no bashing on my boy Skateboard P

and assuming his set is gonna be filled with guests, i'm praying for this

Our main stages look a little too stacked with high billed acts so far. Last year, the main stage had 4 acts from the top two lines per day. 2012 had 4/4/3 respectively. 2011 had 4/4/4. Friday and Saturday, we have 5 from the top two lines, not to mention HAIM is the highest billed act on the third line, so really 6 big acts on the main for Friday. That just strikes me as too many based on the past few years.?
    I agree, our mains are way too stacked on Friday/Saturday. The 5th act on main has never been billed as high as Chromeo/FTP. I would move Chromeo back to Outdoor but I have no idea how FTP would fit that stage with Nas/EOTS/Pharrell. Saturday just confuses the fuck out of me ...
    OutKast / The Replacements / Chromeo / Bonobo / Bryan Ferry / Flume / Jagwar Ma / Shlohmo

Muse / Queens of the Stone Age / Pet Shop Boys / CHVRCHES / Mogwai / Tiga / Holy Ghost!

Arcade Fire / Beck / Neutral Milk Hotel / Disclosure / STRFKR / AlunaGeorge / Flight Facilities / Blood Orange

..this man is one of only three people since 2000 that have influenced the entire SOUND of hip-hop, the other two being Timbaland and Kanye West..

..he has produced and written multiple hits for. Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, Usher, Beyoncé , Nelly, Ludacris, Clipse, Britney Spears, Madonna, Daft Punk, Robin Thicke, Snoop Dogg, Mystikal, Busta Rhymes, Janet Jackson, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt and solo Gwen Stefani...in many cases he is responsible for practically entire albums of those artists..
    Yeah, I know he's basically the male version of Lady Gaga when it comes to that bs,

and this backs up his complete shit solo performance live as worthy of the top line on Saturday, how?
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

Only have a couple gripes...

Saturday: Although Netsky is due to perform a live set they've been placed in the Sahara. I know it's happened in the past (Glitch Mob and that horrible band last year), but I can see Netsky being in the Gobi. Jagwar Ma seems like an Outdoor act to me. Nicole Moudaber is a big enough DJ to play late on Saturday. I think she's listed much too early. There will likely me a few additions to the Yuma on Saturday to make up for the missing time. Then again Nicole and Guy can play very long sets.

Sunday: Anna Lunoe is very new onto the scene and there's really no reason to have her where she is. She's opener material... like a 30 min set kind of DJ. I don't even know why she's placed so late and Scuba is placed so early. It's also been argued that Garnier or Scuba could play a live set in one of the tents. More likely Garnier than Scuba.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I don't see Damian Lazurus closing the Yuma on Friday. Any of the previous 5 DJs would be a better fit.
    Last edited by knowyourhouse; 01-17-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Anyone think there would be a chance for Little Dragon to play outdoor sometime around Sunset?

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I do not see Lorde playing as late as she is scheduled on the Clash Finder though.
    Lorde could definitely close the Outdoor. Royals is a way more popular than any Florence and the Machines song ever was, and Florence closed the Outdoor Sunday 2012
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

MGMT on main stage isnt an honor if its an earlier slot. a slot on the outdoor later at night is more of an honor, so i see them playing either, just not so late,

okay can we put a lock on the friday. if i could see woodkid, jagwar ma, bonobo, broken bells, flume AND outkast i'd be very very happy.

saturday on the other hand is an absolute NIGHTMARE. holy ghost lapping warpaint lapping solange lapping lorde lapping chvrches and having no one to close out with, this is would be the worst case scenario for me.

sunday, no classixx/lana clash please
    @dannycradden

Friday.
    Austra > Jagwar Ma > A$AP Ferg > Flume > The Glitch Mob > Bonobo > Haim > Broken Bells > Outkast

Saturday.
    Temples > Blood Orange > Warpaint > Banks > Washed Out > Solange > CHVRCHES > Lorde

Sunday.
    Jhene Aiko > AlunaGeorge > The 1975 > Classixx > Chance the Rapper > James V. McMorrow > Lana Del Rey > Disclosure

*please*

Awesome. I do think we need to address the main on Friday and Saturday, though. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but there are too many high billed acts.

As concertgoer, myself, and a couple others have pointed out, since 2011 (the first year with multiple subheadliners), there have never been more than four acts total from the headline and the second line on the main. We have five on both Friday and Saturday, and then on Friday we even have the highest billed from the third line.

Just to get an idea of where the main slots fell last year, based on billing alone:
    FRI: 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 11 --> 15
    SAT: 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 6 --> 14 --> 18
    SUN: 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 9 --> 15

We have:
    FRI: 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 6 --> 8 --> 9
    SAT: 3 --> 1 --> 2 --> 5 --> 6 --> 12

So both our #5 and #6 slots on these days are significantly higher than last year's. So I don't think it's realistic to have Chromeo, Girl Talk, Foster the People, Lorde, and HAIM on the main. I think at most we would have three of those acts (or acts of similar billing), and maybe even just two. Seeing as this means shooting over big acts to the Outdoor and Mojave, figuring out who is likely in those venues might help place other tent closers, smaller acts, etc.

If Girl Talk is the Friday consensus, I think shoot Chromeo somewhere else. If we think Foster the People over Pharell (I still think it'll be the other way around though), I think Lorde is more likely on the outdoor. For reference, some acts billed 10-20 on their days that might be "big" enough for the main could be The Cult and Bastille on Friday, and Cage the Elephant/Kid Cudi (who we have)/Nas/Capital Cities (big radio hits where I'm from) on Saturday.

This is the last time I'll mention it for the sake of moving on, but I think we should consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    I really think that Bryan Ferry will get the outdoor sunset slot on Friday.
    I would like to think this but I am preparing to see his name under Mojave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Quote Originally Posted by knowyourhouse View Post
    Only have a couple gripes...

Saturday: Although Netsky is due to perform a live set they've been placed in the Sahara. I know it's happened in the past (Glitch Mob and that horrible band last year), but I can see Netsky being in the Gobi. Jagwar Ma seems like an Outdoor act to me. Nicole Moudaber is a big enough DJ to play late on Saturday. I think she's listed much too early. There will likely me a few additions to the Yuma on Saturday to make up for the missing time. Then again Nicole and Guy can play very long sets.

Sunday: Anna Lunoe is very new onto the scene and there's really no reason to have her where she is. She's opener material... like a 30 min set kind of DJ. I don't even know why she's placed so late and Scuba is placed so early. It's also been argued that Garnier or Scuba could play a live set in one of the tents. More likely Garnier than Scuba.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I don't see Damian Lazurus closing the Yuma on Friday. Any of the previous 5 DJs would be a better fit.
    Netsky will be in the Sahara. Agreed re: Jagwar Ma on the outdoor. Agree re: Anna Lunoe, agreed re: Garnier in the gobi. But Damian Lazarus will close the Yuma. I'll bet a freshers.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Having seen Jagwar Ma, I can definitely say their sound would be much more suited for a tent. Anyone remember Cut Copy in 08? They played the Gobi in the mid-afternoon and had that tent bouncing. I imagine Jagwar Ma will be the same type of deal this year. I would bet they will be Mojave or Gobi.

Taking you seriously and assuming you aren't a troll, do you know anything about hip-hop? As half of the Neptunes, this man is one of only three people since 2000 that have influenced the entire SOUND of hip-hop, the other two being Timbaland and Kanye West. He is responsible for like half of the rap hits between 2000-2008 (but as early as '91) and I'm barely exaggerating. He's not an MC you doofus, he's a producer and song writer who happens to have some solo hits as well, and was basically a taste maker.

These are some of the artists he has produced and written multiple hits for. Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, Usher, Beyoncé , Nelly, Ludacris, Clipse, Britney Spears, Madonna, Daft Punk, Robin Thicke, Snoop Dogg, Mystikal, Busta Rhymes, Janet Jackson, N Sync, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt and solo Gwen Stefani...in many cases he is responsible for practically entire albums of those artists.

Look up the Neptunes discography Wikipedia. It's ridiculous . He is one of the most influential figures in contemporary pop and rap that has ever existed.
    Somebody is a bit of a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Lorde could definitely close the Outdoor. Royals is a way more popular than any Florence and the Machines song ever was, and Florence closed the Outdoor Sunday 2012
    This is not a popularity contest. The one with the most popular song does not close the stage. They are going to put Lorde in a time slot where the most amount of people will be able to see her.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Somebody is a bit of a fanboy.
    If anybody who follows hip-hop on this board disagrees with his influence, then maybe. I'm not a huge fan of his solo work, but as somebody who was a huge hip-hop fan during that time period, to deny his influence is insanity. 2000-2013 was basically categorized by three figures sonically who influenced the entire sound of the major players in rap/pop at the same time....Timbaland with bouncy/meandering/staccato funk beats --> Pharell with minimalist beats with space influences --> Kanye with the samples (The Blueprint pretty much launching his reign) --> Timbaland again, with a glossier/pop friendly version of his previous sound. You can make an argument for the crunk sound in the mid-2005-2008 era, but I would argue that didn't effect hip-hop as a whole, and certainly not pop, just that the Southern sound was big. You didn't see Jay-Z or whoever embrace that sound, just Southern artists.

Now, EDM is influencing hip-hop more than traditional producers, but you're still seeing all three of those figures in collaboration with the biggest acts (Jay-Z, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, etc). Those three were/are the taste makers for hip-hop as a whole, and pop as a spillover effect because when hip-hop took over in the early 2000s from the pop era, all the major stars followed the hip-hop trends, not pop. Pharell, for example, did much of Justin's first album and Britney's I'm a Slave 4 U, Timbaland worked with Justin's second album, etc.

Personally, Pharell produced my least favorite sound of those three, but to deny him the influence is ignorant. I would never comment on the legacy of, say, electronic or folk acts for the same reason...I don't know what I'm talking about. But when somebody gushes over Orbital's influence or whatever, I'm not going to write it off as purely "fanboy".

Throw him on whatever stage you want, but he's billed where he is for a reason, which is what I was commenting about.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-18-2014 at 10:33 AM.

If anybody who follows hip-hop on this board disagrees with his influence, then maybe. I'm not a huge fan of his solo work, but as somebody who was a huge hip-hop fan during that time period, to deny his influence is insanity. 2000-2013 was basically categorized by three figures sonically who influenced the entire sound of the major players in rap/pop at the same time....Timbaland with bouncy/meandering/staccato funk beats --> Pharell with minimalist beats with space influences --> Kanye with the samples (The Blueprint pretty much launching his reign) --> Timbaland again, with a glossier/pop friendly version of his previous sound. You can make an argument for the crunk sound in the mid-2005-2008 era, but I would argue that didn't effect hip-hop as a whole, and certainly not pop, just that the Southern sound was big. You didn't see Jay-Z or whoever embrace that sound, just Southern artists.

Now, EDM is influencing hip-hop more than traditional producers, but you're still seeing all three of those figures in collaboration with the biggest acts (Jay-Z, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, etc). Those three were/are the taste makers for hip-hop as a whole, and pop as a spillover effect because when hip-hop took over in the early 2000s from the pop era, all the major stars followed the hip-hop trends, not pop. Pharell, for example, did much of Justin's first album and Britney's I'm a Slave 4 U, Timbaland worked with Justin's second album, etc.

Personally, Pharell produced my least favorite sound of those three, but to deny him the influence is ignorant. I would never comment on the legacy of, say, electronic or folk acts for the same reason...I don't know what I'm talking about. But when somebody gushes over Orbital's influence or whatever, I'm not going to write it off as purely "fanboy".

Throw him on whatever stage you want, but he's billed where he is for a reason, which is what I was commenting about.
    thank you
    people on this board are mainly associating P with his huge 2013 in pop, but he is a hip hop icon and has been one for a decade or more