Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL!

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL!

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    I feel like I watched this with the wrong people or that I wasn't engaged. I really hope they play FYF and I get another shot at it. I didn't really lose myself in it like I hoped.
    Exactly how I felt seeing Mangum in '12
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Going from NMH to Calvin harris was one of the weirdest transitions I have been through. I went from this magically crafted NMH land to rave zombie hell it was intense to say the least. Dont blast me for going to calvin it was a comprimise I made.
    The worst was getting out from the front of NMH. Was literally an avalanche of 17 year olds forcing their way to the front for Lana Del Rey not letting anyone else in. I see they allowed 5 more minutes for weekend 2 for that transition. Doubt that will make much difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Exactly how I felt seeing Mangum in '12
    That's probably it for me. I was near front center with a bunch of fans and have never heard any of those songs live before. And with out the beard you could notice Jeff getting lost in it all and it was so quiet when he was playing besides some soft singing along from the crowd. Then there was Oh Comely where Jeff would take that gasp and his eyes became large and crazy. That shit was haunting.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I feel like I was the only one who thought this was one of the most magical sets of the weekend. I was pretty close up on the left, which seemed to be a perfect spot. I personally adored their set and would probably go see them again on their own.

Granted this was my first time seeing them and I was only able to catch a little bit of Mangum back in 2012
    I loved it, def. one of my top 10. Just found a nice comfy spot far enough from the crowd, laid down and got realllly stoned.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Yep, agreed. I thought it had to do with the wind, as Tommy mentioned, and also because I was further to the side so I felt maybe it was my placement at the stage, too.

Still, it was a very good set. When they played "In the Areoplane Over the Sea" I got super emotional. Thinking about where we were, how the weekend was almost over, and reflecting on our fellow boardie's death got me really worked up.

I was happy that most of the people around us seemed to comply with the no camera policy, I loved that everyone around me was respectful and quiet during the set, and that the fellow fans felt like a family throughout it. When it was over, I couldn't help but feel like I went through some therapy session and came out great on the other side. I was beaming and still somewhat reflecting on my feelings. Then my boyfriend, who really knows nothing about NMH turned to me and said, "Well, that was better than I expected. I didn't know the lead singer was going to look like a bum, though" and reflection time was over!
    I felt the same way. I felt sick most of the weekend, but after NMH is was like a cleansing. I never felt that way after a show.

setlist weekend two?

I'm glad I saw them Weekend 2. They are a bit sleepy & brooding for me (I wanted to kill myself after seeing their set). Now I've seen them and won't have to see them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I was sadly disappointed. Mangum in '12 was enough for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but this was really no different. It was a bit slow and the fans sucked. Mangum looked like a hobo and I had to stand next to four Mexican girls who didn't speak a lick of English, let alone knew who the fuck they were seeing. Snore fest, had to stop myself from drifting off.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )

NMH can do no wrong by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

It was far from a snorefest if it was something you were truly looking forward to it. It's not a set I would bring someone that has never heard them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    It was far from a snorefest if it was something you were truly looking forward to it. It's not a set I would bring someone that has never heard them though.
    Yeah, exactly. I ended up watching it with someone who liked NMH and was looking forward to it, my boyfriend (who doesn't know NMH), Salah (who I don't think was too familiar), and two other friends who were just told to come but didn't really know about them. I knew for the majority of the people I was with it would be a weird set to be at, but for me it was wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I brought my fiancee who was less than impressed by them on album and it turned out to be in her top ten of the weekend. Granted we had some mushies, but she said it was beautiful and would like to see them again if we get a chance.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

This was a very different crowd than Jeff Mangum in 2012, which was pretty much all NMH fans. Here, half the people were camped out to rush the stage for Lana, decked out in flower headdresses and blabbing the whole time. Even after Jeff politely requested everyone to put away their phones and camera, the snotty little girls continued doing so and trying and failing to get a connection to their Instagram app. It wasn't bad for the first 2/3 of the set, but after that, I eventually had to just leave early because of people pushing forward for Lana.

They were SO dissapointing.

I loved their set. I found it moving. I love how he did not want photographs and camera phones, and there were no photographers out there for the first three songs. By the way, I got their setlist, the only one handed out for week 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    I was sadly disappointed. Mangum in '12 was enough for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but this was really no different. It was a bit slow and the fans sucked. Mangum looked like a hobo and I had to stand next to four Mexican girls who didn't speak a lick of English, let alone knew who the fuck they were seeing. Snore fest, had to stop myself from drifting off.
    How do you know those girls were Mexican? maybe they were from El Salvador, Guatamala, Spain, etc? There are over 20 primarily Spanish speaking countries, including all of Central and South America, with the exception of Brazil. Not all people that speak Spanish as their first language are "Mexican".

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I'm glad I saw them Weekend 2. They are a bit sleepy & brooding for me (I wanted to kill myself after seeing their set). Now I've seen them and won't have to see them again.
    never been so bored in MY LIFE.

This is as close to the weekend two setlist in order that I can remember...

King of Carrot Flowers
    Holland 1945
    In the Areoplane Over the Sea
    Ferriswheel On Fire
    Two Headed Boy
    The Fool
    Song Against Sex
    Gardenhead
    Ghost
    Untitled
    Two Headed Boy pt 2
    Engine

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows

Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    This is as close to the weekend two setlist in order that I can remember...

King of Carrot Flowers
    Holland 1945
    In the Areoplane Over the Sea
    Ferriswheel On Fire
    Two Headed Boy
    The Fool
    Song Against Sex
    Gardenhead
    Ghost
    Untitled
    Two Headed Boy pt 2
    Engine
    Here is the ACTUAL setlist I was handed:
    King
    Holland
    Garden
    Two Headed Boy/Fool
    Aeroplane
    Ferris Wheel
    Song Against Sex
    Ruby Bulbs/Snow Song
    Ghost/Carnival in/PT2
    Engine
    Last edited by kroqken; 04-22-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Here is the ACTUAL setlist I was handed
    King
    Holland
    Garden
    Two Headed Boy/Fool
    Aeroplane
    Ferris Wheel
    Song Against Sex
    Ruby Bulbs/Snow Song
    Ghost/Carnival in/PT2
    Engine
    That is definitely correct, thanks!

I am SOOOO happy that I went to the Fox show before Coachella because I wouldn't have seen Naomi, Oh Comely, or Baby for Pree. Same with The Knife, the Fox show was essential to see Full of Fire, Wrap Your Arms Around Me and Ready to Loose.

This is my setlist from the Fox NMH show:

Last edited by xanman86; 04-22-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Upcoming shows

Events

That is definitely correct, thanks!
    If not me, who? If not now, when? Better than Alfred E Newman's "What me worry".

I was really disappointed with their set Weekend 1 as well. The sound was muddled, after the first few songs the band seemed to check out, and the Lana Del Rey crowd was annoying. Jeff Mangum solo in San Diego last year was way better.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPistol View Post
    I was really disappointed with their set Weekend 1 as well. The sound was muddled, after the first few songs the band seemed to check out, and the Lana Del Rey crowd was annoying. Jeff Mangum solo in San Diego last year was way better.
    I actually got the Lana Del Rey setlist also, and I did not even ask for it. The guard just handed it to me. For the record, here is her setlist:
    Itro
    Cola
    Body Electric
    West Coast
    Born to Die
    Young and Beautiful
    Gods N Monsters
    Summertime Sadness
    Million Dollar Man
    Video Games
    National Anthem

I actually got the Lana Del Rey setlist also, and I did not even ask for it. The guard just handed it to me. For the record, here is her setlist:
    Itro
    Cola
    Body Electric
    West Coast
    Born to Die
    Young and Beautiful
    Gods N Monsters
    Summertime Sadness
    Million Dollar Man
    Video Games
    National Anthem
    Is this week one or two? I believe one of the songs had to be cut weekend one (I think it was Gods N Monsters or Million Dollar Man but not 100%)

Upcoming shows

Events

Is this week one or two? I believe one of the songs had to be cut weekend one (I think it was Gods N Monsters or Million Dollar Man but not 100%)
    Week 2, week 1, I was at the Coachella stage. I notice everyone says the "main stage" when it is officially called the "Coachella stage".

Engine was a great closer for the sunset. I loved their set, but I can see how it was dissapointing. I was close to the front, and there was a hefty amount of Lana fans. Before NMH started, one guy was pushing through everyone saying "move it, im here for Lana", which is the worst thing you can say in this situation, and then a guy stopped him and talked to him about why he wasn't gonna let him through and all the NMH fans started making fun of this guy (the one pushing) because he didn't know what kind of music they were. When he asked if they were anything like CHVRCHES i told him that they were, in fact, a CHVRCHES cover band. the dude had his hands over his ears for half of the set, while he couldn't do that for the other half due to his hands being preoccupied with instagram. You can't let a crowd totally ruin a set, but he definitely hindered it a little bit. Nonetheless, the band played amazing. Was Ruby Bulbs/Snow Songs new? I'd never heard it before but it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    Engine was a great closer for the sunset. I loved their set, but I can see how it was dissapointing. I was close to the front, and there was a hefty amount of Lana fans. Before NMH started, one guy was pushing through everyone saying "move it, im here for Lana", which is the worst thing you can say in this situation, and then a guy stopped him and talked to him about why he wasn't gonna let him through and all the NMH fans started making fun of this guy (the one pushing) because he didn't know what kind of music they were. When he asked if they were anything like CHVRCHES i told him that they were, in fact, a CHVRCHES cover band. the dude had his hands over his ears for half of the set, while he couldn't do that for the other half due to his hands being preoccupied with instagram. You can't let a crowd totally ruin a set, but he definitely hindered it a little bit. Nonetheless, the band played amazing. Was Ruby Bulbs/Snow Songs new? I'd never heard it before but it was great.
    I really hate people that push through a crowd. That lazy bastard should learn to show up early. Lana had some quite annoying fans.

I have done more thinking about NMH in the past 10 days than i did in the 10 years preceding the WK1 set. and for some reason the song I've become particularly fixated on is Oh Comely, which they didn't even play at Coachella. There's such a strong Astral Weeks- or St Dominic's Preview-era Van Morrison thing going on with that song.. not in any kind of imitative way, not at all, but more like they were channeling the same spirit or something. This was a connection that had never even crossed my mind before.

I loved this set-and respect the no phones thing. However all those teens pushing in for Lana del Rey got to me-they had no interest in NMH on stage !

I really hate people that push through a crowd. That lazy bastard should learn to show up early. Lana had some quite annoying fans.
    yeah her fans are awful. they were there so early too--during Surfer Blood's set earlier in the day (1:45) he said something along the lines of "thanks, i love all of you, even the lana del rey fans in the front on their phones sitting down". im glad he took it nicely, they played a great set