Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

Default Re: The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kush x OJ View Post
    day1
    girl talk 2012
    ellie goulding 2011
    Chromeo 2011, 2008
    The Glitch Mob 2008, 2010

day2
    muse 2010
    skrillex 2011 2013 (as dog blood)
    foster the people 2011
    MGMT 2010
    Empire of the Sun 2011
    Fatboy Slim 2008
    Nas 2011

day3
    arcade fire 2011
    calvin harris 2012
    alesso 2012
    disclosure 2013
    duck sauce 2011
    flosstradamus 2007

These are just the top 3 lines on each day.

It should be called Repeatchella or Recyclechella. Coachella is no more.
    errr. I know. How fucking uninspired of a line up for the most part. Its like every festival though except international...but even then we get rotation with that too. Some years just won't pack as good as a punch though...the older bands are just getting older and more rare as well.

To be fair every year ppl say this is worst year yet. The first year I went was in 2010 and everyone was complaining that Jay-Z was a headliner and that a) he was too mainstream b) rappers can't put on good shows c)Coachella is ruined
    Now that year is looked upon as a golden year, a few have said one of the best. Even last year's lineup got tons of complaints (Some justified) but most on here seem to look back at it fondly.

At the end of the day I think a lot of ppl get set up by their own expectations of who they want and if Coachella doesn't give them that then it sucks. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't ppl I was disappointed didn't make the lineup or that I'm 100% in love with all the picks. But there's so much great stuff on there and I know it'll be an amazing time. Plus Coachella can only do so many mind blowing reunions, there's only so many bands left that haven't reunited that would be exciting and not all of them want to. For me Outkast reuniting was mind blowing and super excited to see them.

At the end of the day if you're so disappointed in this lineup or even Coachella's lineups the last few years why are you on here still? You're welcome to criticize but why stay here if there's so many other festivals out there?

Major festival/promoters have turned into fucking record labels. They pretty much dictate on what people will be go out and listen to now. If you get billed on a festival list, consider yourself as "making it" because artist don't sell records anymore. Coachella has become a big business...nothing you can do about it except turn your head if you don't like it anymore.

I don't know what ppl want, to me the only real competition Coachella has in the US is Bonnaroo. Sasquatch also ways seems meh to me, the Governor's Ball is essentially a combination of ppl who were either at Coachella this year or last, Lollapalooza is WAY more mainstream (Ppl cried about RHCP but at least it wasn't Lady Gaga), Ultra seems even more recycled, Firefly sucks (Do ppl think that's a great lineup?) and Summerfest's lineup so far is a joke

I think Bonnaroo might be taking that title away from Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    I don't really need to bitch since I'm not going this year. But I feel the need to say that in my time (2004-2012) I feel like I've seen the best that Coachella has had to offer.
    This lineup as well as last year's lineup left me feeling like "Oh well, it's not the end of the world". Whereas the other years I attended had a certain feel to them that made it seem like a more important event.
    Of course there is great stuff this year - Outkast, The Knife, Beck, AF, QOTSA, NMH, etc...
    But when I look at the lineup and only have about 8 acts I give a shit about for the whole weekend.. it's just not all that exciting.

That being said - I feel like if things were rearranged a bit (QOTSA headlining w/ much better subs, etc) and if they had replaced acts like Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Foster the People, etc with something compelling then I would be much more interested.

And finally.. looking at this lineup makes me think that Coachella is really (trying to be?) a SoCal music festival. Kind of veering away from their reputation as the fucking BOSS of festivals in the US.

What? A festival thats been going on for over a decade, and booking hundred of acts each year has a lot of repeats? How dare they!

Quote Originally Posted by welgo800 View Post
    how bout this.....YOU ARE ALL OLD!

what happened to discovery at coachella? the headliners are just the cherry on top of the coachella sundae. get over yourselves and quit being a bunch of cry babies. better YOU don't go anyway!
    I don’t know, I’m pretty fucking old (thiiiis close to 60) so I am decades and decades away from the “Coachella demographic” but I like this lineup just fine. And yes, discovery is half the fun. Looking forward to catching quite a few acts from Austra to Goat, to Darkside, Chvrches, QOTSA, Warpaint, Washed Up, Starfucker, and yes, even Arcade Fire again, and many others, including ones I have yet to discover. So much so that I’m glad I chose to do both weekends this year.

Been every year since ’09 (very sorry I missed the earlier years) and I’ve loved the festival each time ('11 was the best overall for me so far, while ’12 was the least interesting to me music-wise, but I still had plenty of fun).

I get a lot of the criticism here, I do, but it seems to me I’ve heard bitching about the lineup like this every year I’ve gone.

Sure, I’d like to see, say, Fuck Buttons or Oneohtrix Point Never (love ‘em, haven’t caught either live yet) and hell yeah! Neil Young as a headliner (he’s been fantastic every time I’ve caught him live, and I think he’d be one of the best “old guard” headliners ever at Coachella, maybe the best) but because GV didn’t procure them doesn’t mean I’m not going to enjoy a ton of music at Coachella 2014 anyway.

YMMV, of course, and people have made some interesting bitch cases here (on a BITCH thread, duh) on why they’re disappointed.

I love a lot of today’s music (as more-or-less represented by the Coachella acts I’ve caught over the past years) though not stuff like Imagine Dragons or Nicky Minaj or Pitbull and the like. In my long experience good music today compares more than favorably with the “good old days” (no, I don’t actually think they were the “good old days” or the “golden years” of music or any such thing. I see them more as the “dawn time”).

Or maybe I’m like HotHamWater and I’m just easy to please.

Quote Originally Posted by core787 View Post
    Bonnaroo's lineups lean wayyyyyy too heavily on that faux-Americana shit for my tastes. And their electronic lineup usually consists of one big name cheese EDM act (Skrillex, Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, etc.) and then maybe four or five other acts, of which maybe one or two per year is worthwhile. Their scheduling is also a goddamn travesty. Their lineups have improved mainly because for the first 6 years they were in existence they featured mostly jambands, so acts like McCartney, Prince, Roger Waters, etc., if Bonnaroo books them, are a huge deal. If Coachella books them, its repeatchella lolz. As someone who's been to Bonnaroo eight times, I prefer Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I like the lineup, but maybe that's because I live in a town in which I don't get to see most of the acts that I like. This is the one time a year when I can see a bunch of artists I like, discover new artists, and be around a bunch of great people in a great environment. I don't take many vacations anymore, so I really value this as a vacation experience with friends rather than purely a concert experience. I guess I've also just learned to gloss over the stuff I don't like. I don't really care if Skrillex, Foster the People, or other acts in that realm are there. Based on prior likes, and subsequent discoveries, my days will probably be pretty full of good music and good friends. I never thought I'd have the chance to see Outkast, which is my favorite hip-hop group ever. I also never really thought I'd see Motorhead. I'm pretty excited, but maybe I'm just easy to please.

I think you have every right to be excited. There is plenty on the lineup to be excited about. A lot of people tend to focus on things they don't like as opposed to what they do like. Either that or they have had numerous opportunities and dedicated lots of time to seeing these acts live. For me, someone whose free time comes in spurts, I don't have the capability (financially or physically) to fly to different cities and see live music. We get some good shows in Tucson, but the combined cost of seeing all these acts separately would far surpass what I spend at Coachella. Add to the fact that Tucson isn't exactly a Mecca for Techno or House music, so I don't get to see Cajmere, Art Department or Maceo Plex as often as someone that lives in, say, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Detroit or Los Angeles.

I've been on these boards now for four years. Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Neko Case, Bonobo, The Afghan Whigs, Queens of the Stone Age, Pet Shop Boys, Beck, and Neutral Milk hotel are all acts that have either never played festival before or have gone at least a decade since last playing and every last one of those acts are ones that people have been clamoring for over the past several years. I'm personally not a fan of every last one of those acts, but there are about 6 or 7 that I really want to see. That's just the rare acts. That doesn't include other acts like Nas, Broken Bells, Ty Segall, CHVRCHES, Trombone Shorty, Lorde and numerous others I'm pretty excited to see.

What I find to be a little silly is the argument that the festival has drastically changed. I understand certain aspects have changed (car-camping, more people, ins and outs, no single day passes. etc.), but their approach to the lineup hasn't really changed as much as people want to tell themselves and especially not since they went to a three-day format in 2007. That was the year where everyone should have realized that repeats were going to increase dramatically. As much as the festival likes to cater to all sorts of demographics and love / have to sell 150,000 tickets, they aren't going after bands and artists that wouldn't fit (i.e., they haven't booked rock like Nickleback or Creed, "punk" like Blink 182 or utter shit like Linkin Park; even though all of those bands would move tickets fast.). Since they are limiting themselves (to an extent) with what they book, you are going to get a shitload of performers that have played the festival before when you have to book 140-170 acts to fill 5-6 stages for eight straight years.

I understand if people have moved on from the festival scene or at least festivals the size of Coachella, Bonnaroo, Glastonbury, etc. The notion of going just isn't as appealing as it once was. I was at that point myself for several years in my mid-20's. I just can't see this magical change in styles of lineup everyone else sees.

Go back to 2007. Three repeat headliners. Acts like Tiesto, KOL, Paul Van Dyk, Jack's Mannequin, Against Me!, Girl Talk, David Guetta. I mean, there are a lot of uninspired choices on that lineup. You can get the same thing going through any lineup. The key for me is finding 20-30 acts that I really enjoy to occupy my time with and I have never found that to be much of an issue.

What I see this year is a lineup with Outkast, Arcade Fire, Beck, Pet Shop Boys, Nas, Flume, Ty Segall, Trombone Shorty, Motorhead, CHVRCHES, Solange, Lorde, Bonobo, Blood Orange, The Jon Spence Bluers Explosion, Disclosure, Dixon, Cajmere, Littler Dragon, Classixx, Factory Floor... and that's just the tip of the iceberg for me. Because of all that, I am able to ignore Skrillex, Alesso, Zedd, Dillon Francis, Calvin Harris, Cage The Elephant or any other act / repeat I have no desire to see.

I also get to see lots of friends I rarely get to see at a beautiful venue with high level production.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 01-21-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Bonnaroo's lineups lean wayyyyyy too heavily on that faux-Americana shit for my tastes. And their electronic lineup usually consists of one big name cheese EDM act (Skrillex, Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, etc.) and then maybe four or five other acts, of which maybe one or two per year is worthwhile. Their scheduling is also a goddamn travesty. Their lineups have improved mainly because for the first 6 years they were in existence they featured mostly jambands, so acts like McCartney, Prince, Roger Waters, etc., if Bonnaroo books them, are a huge deal. If Coachella books them, its repeatchella lolz. As someone who's been to Bonnaroo eight times, I prefer Coachella.
    BUT THEY HAVE LATE NIGHTS WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN TO BOYS NOIZE UNTIL 4 AM!

Might want to wait to see the Roo lineup this year before making that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Ugh, we all know it's not easy to book a festival. No one is saying it has to be every dream act on our wishlist. We're just asking for a couple more adventurous bookings. In another thread, I listed like 25+ acts that had albums out last year that would make for really fresh, interesting bookings than some of these awful, snoozy repeats. I have no doubt they're trying to appeal to their audience, but their audience is shifting in a certain direction. Obviously not all of those acts are available, but 2 or 3 of them surely would be in place of a boring act that played twice in the past five years. And these are mostly smaller print bands. I think the rare, big print stuff is where the lineup really excels this year (excluding Saturday), it's just that the undercard is so completely underwhelming. You look at an older poster and the lower line acts are now bigger names and have proven to having a lasting impact. Obviously not every single one, but a surprisingly large number. When I look at this poster, I see acts that people already have considered to be washed up, little lone be relevant a few years down the line. I simply just don't buy the line that every interesting band is unable to commit and we have to settle for Cage The Elephant, MGMT, Beady Eye and Sleigh Bells, especially when there's stories of board members talking to bands who say they'd love to play but weren't even approached. It's just a different festival now, it has been for years, they still throw a few bones to the original demographic (and there was kind of hope for the way things were going with how many they threw us last year), but it's really the laziness of the undercard that makes this seem so lackluster when that was usually the strongest card GV had to play.
    Well said. And in addition to bands revealing a desire to play but never having been approached, there are plenty more that were flat out rejected or had other bizarre things to say. Sure, the whole "they can only work with what is available" line absolutely applies to a lot of acts, especially headliners, reunions, and rarities, but it doesn't work for everyone. That having been said, despite the higher than ever proportion of redundant repeats and pure garbage, I think there's still enough great or decent stuff to see, especially when compared to horrendous lineups like Firefly and Big Guava.
    7/27 Babymetal @ Fonda, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ The Ace, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater

Spend a little time researching the bands and you'll find worth within

I too was hoping for better headliners

Arcade Fire wasn't great the last time they were here....the hype was the bouncing balls they had...
    O well

Muse is good

OutKast - I hate rap ...so it'll never interest me

I found a lot of bands to make my 3 days full of fun....so I have nothing to complain about.

I love me some Coachella

Re: Souldischarge
    Cage the Elephant is AWESOME!!!! I BECAME a fan of them at Coachella 2 years ago. They toured with Foo Fighters and just put out a new album. They are my #1 band on the poster for me this year.

I would have liked to seen Reignwolf back again at a much bigger spot...he's blowing the world up nuclear style. His popularity is going beyond amazingly fast....and it's well deserved. He's good enough that he could headline and everyone watching would be blown away. Bring Jordan Cook aka Reignwolf back. He's playing at Hangout fest.
    Last edited by baily; 01-21-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Haha. Bonnaroo usually has a few acts that make me go "damn, I wish they were at Coachella instead" every year, but not enough to make me actually go.
    7/27 Babymetal @ Fonda, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ The Ace, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

not a fucking chance. and i am an unabashed bonnaroo supporter. bonnaroo books plenty of garbage. just look at any lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

As one sprite Roo attendee in an I <3 DUBSTEP screamed in my ear after elbowing me in the face, "I JUST WANT THAT WOMP WOMP, YA'LL!"

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

we all want the womp womp

Honestly, the late nights are the best thing they have going for them and lately they've flat out squandered them. There's usually one tent/stage with something good, and the rest is just garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

I only went last year and most of the LN sets were pretty great. That 2012 LN schedule looks bad though.

Spend a little time researching the bands and you'll find worth within

I too was hoping for better headliners

Arcade Fire wasn't great the last time they were here....the hype was the bouncing balls they had...
    O well

Muse is good

OutKast - I hate rap ...so it'll never interest me

I found a lot of bands to make my 3 days full of fun....so I have nothing to complain about.

I love me some Coachella

Re: Souldischarge
    Cage the Elephant is AWESOME!!!! I BECAME a fan of them at Coachella 2 years ago. They toured with Foo Fighters and just put out a new album. They are my #1 band on the poster for me this year.

I would have liked to seen Reignwolf back again at a much bigger spot...he's blowing the world up nuclear style. His popularity is going beyond amazingly fast....and it's well deserved. He's good enough that he could headline and everyone watching would be blown away. Bring Jordan Cook aka Reignwolf back. He's playing at Hangout fest.
    Every one always refers to you and your abject stupidity in these hushed, reverential tones, as if you're some mythical message board cryptozoological marvel. A modern day Bigfoot which managed to figure out how to operate a keyboard, and express its incredibly simple thoughts for the world. Seeing this post is like seeing some shaky, blurry video of the titular Sasquatch striding through the underbrush. Thank you for showing us all the legend in action.
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

2013 was the best the late nights have been since 2010. the rza superjam was 2 hours of fire. r. kelly shit show, yim yames superjam was by all accounts the best superjam of all time, though i ate bad drugs and went to bed.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Apart from all else that I could muster in defense of Coachella, they are the major American festival that does the most each year to book meaningful legacy acts in punk, indie, and alternative rock. That more than anything is their niche, and that more than anything is what will keep me coming back.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Haha. Bonnaroo usually has a few acts that make me go "damn, I wish they were at Coachella instead" every year, but not enough to make me actually go.
    I usually like enough acts on each Bonnaroo lineup that, if I lived a day's drive from the farm, I'd probably go. I just find the debate over which festival is better to be nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    Every one always refers to you and your abject stupidity in these hushed, reverential tones, as if you're some mythical message board cryptozoological marvel. A modern day Bigfoot which managed to figure out how to operate a keyboard, and express its incredibly simple thoughts for the world. Seeing this post is like seeing some shaky, blurry video of the titular Sasquatch striding through the underbrush. Thank you for showing us all the legend in action.
    there is nothing more fitting than baily pining after a festival in alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    2013 was the best the late nights have been since 2010. the rza superjam was 2 hours of fire. r. kelly shit show, yim yames superjam was by all accounts the best superjam of all time, though i ate bad drugs and went to bed.
    Yeah, that was insane.

I usually like enough acts on each Bonnaroo lineup that, if I lived a day's drive from the farm, I'd probably go. I just find the debate over which festival is better to be nauseating.
    I think I should have gone in 2012 since I was just a short flight or ~12 hour drive away. I remember watching the Radiohead, St. Vincent, and Little Dragon webcasts and that would have been a pretty damn hard day to top.

Holy shit, a good, positive, insightful post from Guy in Tucson? Is this April Fool's Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    Holy shit, a good, positive, insightful post from Guy in Tucson? Is this April Fool's Day?
    You piece of shit.

That's more like it! Know your place in the world!

Everyone complaining is just trolling right? Or have you all not bothered to listen to any of the acts? I'm guessing the former.

This lineup is amazingly good, I couldn't be more excited. The only complaint is that they haven't extended the end time to 4am so there can be fewer conflicts.
    http://open.spotify.com/user/blivas/...GKY6Q8ulhBbPSL - The songs contained within are the songs that will be played at Coachella