Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

Default The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

State your frustrations.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

I don't know what I was expecting but I was hoping for a a lot more "wow".
    I know I'll have a good time but this is the first year I've been kind of bummed out on first impression. Most people seem really excited for bands I don't like or care about.

Ignore the first lines and you will find wholesome goodness and many potential conflicts among the underlings.

I'm always disappointed when I have to confront reality and the lineup drops. But I think what made this year more disappointing than most is that, after two years of lineups that appeared to be moving in more obscure directions, this one is really dominated by big radio names. It's like they're moving in the wrong direction.

there are a lot of names underneath the headliners that make some really good music : future islands, white lies, the cult, jon spencer blues explosion,fishbone, sum sum girls

Can we be real for a second though. Overall, the big names are pretty fucking amazing for an American festival. OutKast's reunion performance, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Replacements, The Knife, Beck, Motorhead? If anybody had floated those prior to this year, you all would have said that was a pipedream, especially Friday and Sunday's main stage lineups. I think the fact that all of these were heavily rumored/confirmed/expected took away the "HOLY SHIT" moment that would have carried you through the crap, because there is a LOT of it.

This is 2012 redux. Amazingly rare and once in a lifetime shows, but tons of radio friendly disappointment as well. I'm going to have a blast, but I can see why some would be disappointed, especially after how deep 2013 was.

First off, there weren't really any big surprises when seeing the lineup...almost everyone I cared a lot about had already been confirmed through various sources. That took away a lot of the excitement. In general, the lineup is lacking a lot of great artists I had expected, the Pixies, NIN, Cut Copy, Deltron, Royksopp, etc.

It's lacking a ton of great electronic artists who had great albums recently such as Jon Hopkins, Actress, oneohtrix point never, Laurel Halo, Fuck Buttons, etc. Was even a little hopeful for something legendary like Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin...The Yuma tent has some good names but most are pretty similar in style and most do come stateside at least once a year.

Muse as a headliner is about as lazy of a booking as possible. I'm sorry but they just toured the west coast and did 3 shows in LA...come on. Their new album is shit and objectively speaking I'm pretty sure Goldenvoice could have secured a more rare and interesting act.

Seeing people like Martin Garrix billed on the 3rd line really shows how much of a joke this lineup is. A lot of the other bookings are just so expected and predictable, repeats, or frequently touring the west coast.

To sum up, I'm sure it'll be a good time, but a festival like Coachella organized by a promoter with so much money could have done much, MUCH better this year. I'm a little worried about the future of the festival to be honest, I hope it improves.
    Last edited by nick9999; 01-08-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Lazy bookings, too many retread bands. There are undoubtedly lots of great acts, I've just seen them all before, either at prior years Coachella or local shows in and around SF. I suppose its unreal to expect the lineup to be as good as 2013 or 2010. I'll still be buy tix in the presale for 2014, but definitely selling my tix for this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

There was a lot of initial bitching last year, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    There was a lot of initial bitching last year, too.
    Yes great point. I remember that. And the undercard ended up being stellar, more than making up for what many thought were mediocre headliners. Let's hope this year follows suit.

honestly, I wish they made more of an effort to book new artists, or at least rebook the right artists.

Girl Talk (whywhywhywhy. he hasn't done anything new since 2012 so why waste your money here?)
    Zedd (shouldn't even be here let alone be the top sahara act)
    Ellie Goulding (I guess she's gotten bigger since she last played but she's truly awful)
    Chromeo
    Glitch Mob
    MGMT
    Dillon Francis (Really?)
    Calvin Harris (somewhat understandable)
    Alesso (need dat swedish house moo sic bro)
    Duck Sauce (hasn't done anything to warrant a comeback)

who I'd be fine with them rebooking

chemical brothers dj set
    trentemoller
    eric prydz (cirez d)
    janelle monae
    arctic monkeys
    the national

I mentioned this last time Arcade Fire headlined, but are they going to be on the poster every 3/4 years that they come out with an album?

Nothing I'm really that upset about missing. It would be cool to see Motörhead in a festival setting but the headliners aren't a big enough draw and there are only a couple more on the undercard I'd be excited for, so I am ok with this year being my gap year.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Skrillex, Pharrell Williams, and Foster the People all on the same line. This is Coachella 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

The undercard is full of names that have been touring relentlessly for the past 2 years. And there are alot of lazy bookings in the top tiers too.

At least they got The Knife's billing right. I thought they would've put them on the 3rd line at highest.

Coachella Junkie

Skrillex, Pharrell Williams, and Foster the People all on the same line. This is Coachella 2014.
    and Lorde, too. All on the 2nd line.

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    I'm always disappointed when I have to confront reality and the lineup drops. But I think what made this year more disappointing than most is that, after two years of lineups that appeared to be moving in more obscure directions, this one is really dominated by big radio names. It's like they're moving in the wrong direction.
    I think I agree. Way too many radio friendly names with shallow catalogs and weak music.

It's not that the lineup is weak at the top, so much as it's really average across the board. The previous 3 years have all been better. It's not Lolla 2011 weak, but it's definitely the weakest since I've been going to Coachella. (2011)
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    I don't really pay much attention to what is big on the radio (which sucks for me). And it seems like all of the EDM acts sound the same. I cannot believe that Lana Del Rey made the lineup but Mazzy Star did not. What the fuck is that shit all about?

Quote Originally Posted by pelon7724 View Post
    I don't really pay much attention to what is big on the radio (which sucks for me). And it seems like all of the EDM acts sound the same. I cannot believe that Lana Del Rey made the lineup but Mazzy Star did not. What the fuck is that shit all about?
    I mean the Lana Del Rey thing is a joke, but Mazzy Star just played in 2012.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I mean the Lana Del Rey thing is a joke, but Mazzy Star just played in 2012.
    And Disclosure performed last year...on a Sunday.

I need a hug.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Can we be real for a second though. Overall, the big names are pretty fucking amazing for an American festival. OutKast's reunion performance, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Replacements, The Knife, Beck, Motorhead? If anybody had floated those prior to this year, you all would have said that was a pipedream, especially Friday and Sunday's main stage lineups. I think the fact that all of these were heavily rumored/confirmed/expected took away the "HOLY SHIT" moment that would have carried you through the crap, because there is a LOT of it.

This is 2012 redux. Amazingly rare and once in a lifetime shows, but tons of radio friendly disappointment as well. I'm going to have a blast, but I can see why some would be disappointed, especially after how deep 2013 was.
    Lame line up. Friday and Saturday suck big time. OutKast? Really? The Replacements? I'm a fan but saw them last summer and they were terrible! Urgh!!!!! This may be my last Coachella and it might be time to go big in the future and go to England for a festival.

Not a bad idea to dump your tickets. Worst lineup ever maybe.

The last time Coachella had a lineup that blew me away on reveal was 2008. There's been a lot of recycling bands that are not only playing at just about every other festival but have played multiple single gigs in the LA area over the past year. Look at what Glastonbury had last year versus what people were rumoring this year. Anyway, here's that 2008 poster.

You see...now THIS lineup would be worth the $350 I forked over for presale.

CALVIN HARRIS IS THE NEW NICKELBACK.

And back when it was released, everyone was saying how shitty the lineup was because Jack Johnson and Portishead were not headliners.
    For your health

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

If you don't split the 3 days up on the poster, it's always going to look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Thumbs down Re: The 2014 Lineup Sucks!!! Bitch about it here!!!

The bookings are beyond weak. This is the worse line-up Coachella has ever put out, and it is based on the fact that they just don't have to try any longer. Arcade Fire again! Muse again! Outkast so what! And the undercard is brutal to say the least. Ebay here I come with my tickets! And next year I will wait for the line - up. But based on this direction let me guess: Kings of Leon Again! Black Keys Again and oh who cares,

BRUTAL!

I really don't get why Girl Talk and MGMT are coming back so soon. I mean, they were just there, Girl Talk anyways.
    MGMT, while some may still like them, many don't so its just gonna be a set where everyone is waiting for all the popular songs from their first album and then leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    And back when it was released, everyone was saying how shitty the lineup was because Jack Johnson and Portishead were not headliners.
    then Aphex Twin was added and everyone shut up
    Upcoming Shows:

I don't really need to bitch since I'm not going this year. But I feel the need to say that in my time (2004-2012) I feel like I've seen the best that Coachella has had to offer.
    This lineup as well as last year's lineup left me feeling like "Oh well, it's not the end of the world". Whereas the other years I attended had a certain feel to them that made it seem like a more important event.
    Of course there is great stuff this year - Outkast, The Knife, Beck, AF, QOTSA, NMH, etc...
    But when I look at the lineup and only have about 8 acts I give a shit about for the whole weekend.. it's just not all that exciting.

That being said - I feel like if things were rearranged a bit (QOTSA headlining w/ much better subs, etc) and if they had replaced acts like Lana Del Ray, Lorde, Foster the People, etc with something compelling then I would be much more interested.

And finally.. looking at this lineup makes me think that Coachella is really (trying to be?) a SoCal music festival. Kind of veering away from their reputation as the fucking BOSS of festivals in the US.