Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Looks like these bands can all be counted out ... Only real loss of the bunch is Spoon. Was really hoping to see them on the lineup.

https://twitter.com/CBCMusic/status/...794880/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    As for The Killers, last time they were here 12/2012 they did 10,000 though from several people I heard who attended, most were there for Tegan & Sara since it was a quasi hometown show. I saw Killers and Vancouver Virgin festival and the crowd was only 8,000 or so.
    But they are headlining HUKA's Hangout in May (similarly sized fest and relatively new) which gives you reason to believe the same could happen for Pemberton.

I'd be down for Tom Petty. I saw him what will be 6 years ago at Pemberton (as well as shows in Calgary and Bonnaroo) but I'm always down for a Petty show.

old school

killers
    kanye
    outkast
    foo
    jack

I'm not sure what's going on with Foo Fighters. They have a 3rd week of June Festival in DC and nothing else plus the album has no timeline.

There's very conflicting reports of Springsteen's further summer plans and rumours of him asking for less that he used to command in certain parts of the US than he was getting a couple several years ago.

I have trouble with a double hip hop headliner that isn't in a city center.

There's very conflicting reports of Springsteen's further summer plans and rumours of him asking for less that he used to command in certain parts of the US than he was getting a couple several years ago.
    This would make my life complete. Have a hard time seeing it happening, but the festival organizers seem to be very sure that the lineup they've put together is "epic" ... This would definitely fit that descriptor.

Hey just popping back in to clear some stuff up. Huka is no longer booking Hangout, so The Killers connection is invalid, though that could certainly still happen. And I got the impression that the 30-yearspan was talking about the lineup in general, and not that "Legendary Headliner."

I think Petty fits that mold really well and he played Hangout last year when Huka was still booking it, so they have recent history.
    Last year in the photo pit security went nuts right as Petty took the stage. Then they ushered a middle aged man, salt and pepper hair, probably 160 lbs, maybe 5' 10". Evidently, he had jumped the rail and was saying that he had a knife and was going to kill Tom Petty. Petty was none the wiser. He must have eaten too much sand."

Also do you like this band?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    This would make my life complete. Have a hard time seeing it happening, but the festival organizers seem to be very sure that the lineup they've put together is "epic" ... This would definitely fit that descriptor.
    All of this, not to get things hyped as this weekend it was rumoured Bruce may not have anything booked beyond the few shows he has coming up through May, But....earlier in the Springsteen forums it was said to expect dates in early April, which would tie in nicely to my theory that HUKA had to wait to announce in tandem with a MAJOR headliner I guess we will know in 8 days

Lurker

No one seems to have a clue about the paperclip + starfish + lightning bolt "clue" and that one is still on the page.
    I actually noticed yesterday that this was taken off the page. This may be a longshot but my guess was to not take the images too literally. Add the 3 components together and it's feasible that the paper clip (metal), starfish, and lightning bolt are the components of the Metallica logo. http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/15...-4-t5-logo.jpg

They finish in Europe on the 13th and don't play until Aug. 9 in Montreal.

The other clue was obviously Outkast. Whether that was taken down because of booking problems remains to be seen, but I think it was more likely they had to pull back on the whole lineup and that was too obvious to leave up. I remain hopeful that they are booked as I've been dying to see them for years and put my faith in Pemby for my festival this year.

Their confidence with their "epic lineup" leads me to believe that we may even see a headliner on the second line to open for the big get. At this point I would say Rolling Stones and Bruce are the most likely. Having Jack White open for either would add good depth as well. Wishful thinking I know. Either way a headlining trio like this would sell out:

Fri: Outkast
    Sat: Metallica
    sun: Jack White>Stones

This would put their money where their mouth is and make a big splash for a first time festival. The Stones cancellations could explain the delay as well. I think the fact they are counting down confirms they are waiting for a tour announcement of some sort (or maybe Outside Lands). Otherwise we would have lineup already.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...er-tour-dates/

But Deafheaven looks like a pretty good bet.

Rather than continue to post likelihoods of individual bands based on tour dates, I'll condense into a single post. I can also update as need arises. Just basing this off recently announced tour dates.

In unrelated news, I'm bored this morning.

POSSIBLE/PROBABLE

The Killers (rumors/lack of recent dates in the area)
    Deafheaven (tour dates)
    So So Glos (tour dates)
    The Flaming Lips (tour dates)
    Local Natives (tour dates)
    Queens of the Stone Age (tour dates, possible not probable)
    Janelle Monae (no dates set for July yet, possible)

UNLIKELY

Beck (Forecastle + P4K)
    Panda Bear (Melt Festival + Sasquatch)
    Jurassic 5 (tour dates)
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Portishead (Melt Festival)
    Moderat (Melt Festival)
    Chromeo (Melt Festival)
    Darkside (Melt Festival)
    Four Tet (Melt Festival)
    LITTLE DRAGON (Melt Festival)
    SBTRKT (Melt Festival)
    Damon Albarn (Latitude Festival)
    Tame Impala (Latitude Festival)
    The War on Drugs (Latitude Festival)
    Mogwai (Latitude Festival)

OUT

Arcade Fire (Squamish)
    Eminem (Squamish)
    Jack White (Forecastle/tour dates)
    Kraftwerk (Vancouver show)
    New Order (Vancouver show)
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (Vancouver show)
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Boonstock)
    Phoenix (tour dates)
    Jack Johnson (Vancouver show)
    Kings of Leon (Vancouver show)
    The Black Keys (Latitude Festival + other dates)
    Robyn & Royksopp (Melt Fest & Latitude Fest)
    Spoon (CBC Fest)
    Haim (Melt Festival + Latitude Fest)
    Tegan and Sarah (CBC Fest)
    Mac DeMarco (tour dates)
    Metronomy (Melt Festival)
    CHVRCHES (tour dates)
    First Aid Kit (Vancouver show)
    Against Me! (Vancouver show)
    MIA (tour dates)
    Lykke Li (Latitude Festival + Squamish)
    Wye Oak (tour dates)
    Tycho (Whistler Wanderlust Fest)
    RJD2 (Whistler Wanderlust Fest)
    Childish Gambino (tour dates)
    The Antlers (tour dates)
    Phosphorescent (tour dates)
    Last edited by DukeSilver; 04-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.

depressing that the out list is a whole lot better then the in list, but no worries, will be interesting to see if any rumours start flying with one week to go before lineup drop

old school

3 names I would love to pop up who have clear schedules.

-Jesus and the Mary Chain. 20 years(?) since last performance North of California, their Calgary Sled Island appearance was cancelled last year.
    -Janelle Monae has only ever play ONE headline show in BC/Alberta.
    -Robyn has only played Western Canada once in her career, in a 400 capacity club in 2010.

old school

I can't find any evidence of Stones/Bruce/Prince ever doing a festival under 50-55,000 people.

This is 30,000 tops according to what they announced in September.

What about kings of leon?
    Translation

Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    DJ Harvey @ Public Works 11/21/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Updated the earlier post. Robyn is, sadly, almost certainly out, as she and Royksopp have two European festivals booked for that weekend.

I would be psyched if Janelle Monae ended up on the poster, I've heard great things about her live show.

Jesus and Mary Chain would be a curveball, for sure, albeit a very very welcome one.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    What about kings of leon?
    Kings of Leon just played Vancouver a couple days ago ... I would imagine that would eliminate them from headliner contention.

I can't find any evidence of Stones/Bruce/Prince ever doing a festival under 50-55,000 people.

This is 30,000 tops according to what they announced in September.

Exactly. I can't imagine that Pemberton's got the kind of money it would take to book any of these acts if, in fact, the festival capacity is 30,000.

Wye Oak's out. Updated the earlier post.

old school

Outkast/'Mats look like they have a chance. Jack White looks out unless HUKA have a private jet. Not sure what else on Fri/Sun is worth flying in(Action Bronson can't do Canada)

Forecastle just published their single day splits:

Friday, July 18: Outkast, Spoon, Twenty One Pilots, Gary Clark Jr., Local Natives, Action Bronson, JJ Grey & Mofro, Against Me!, Nightmares On Wax (live), The Black Lips, St. Lucia, Waxahatchee, Chrome Sparks, Benjamin Booker, Leagues, Foy Vance, The Districts, Willie Watson, Old Baby

Saturday, July 19: Jack White, Band Of Horses, Dwight Yoakam, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Jason Isbell, Slint, Lord Huron, Spanish Gold, Sun Kil Moon, Tourist, Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks, Hurray For The Riff Raff, The Soul Rebels, Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors, Mount Moriah, Young & Sick, Johnnyswim, Jalin Roze, Goodbye June, The Wans, Jill Andrews

Sunday, July 20: Beck, The Replacements, Ray LaMontagne, Nickel Creek, Trampled By Turtles, Jenny Lewis, Tune-Yards, Flume, Brett Dennen, Sharon Van Etten, Claude VonStroke, Lucius, Charli XCX, Boy & Bear, Hayes Carll, Reignwolf, The Weeks, Blue Sky Black Death, Seluah, Matrimony

Would love to see The Black Lips make the lineup, however long a shot that is

old school

kanye
    killers
    outkast
    foo

I think 3 of these are the headliners.

Top 3 of they want double hip hop or Bottom 3 if they want double rock for headliners.

Both would do business.

A lot depends of Kanye's price and how much he wants to do a fly in from California. Vancouver airport only, which is a 2 hour drive.

old school

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/arti...act-s-together

Amusing article from a whistler area newspaper.

They confirm that only "hundreds" early bird passes were sold. The mention of no single day passes is an interesting decision.

Amusing indeed. Good reporting using Facebook as the only basis for people's opinions on the festival. People don't tend to flood FB/Twitter with comments of love and positivity. It is the internet after all.

I believe in '08 they didn't sell single day tix until sometime in June. Not sure though.

Isn't it a fairly common practice to only release 3 day passes from the get-go and sell single day tickets (if necessary) closer to the festival date? Obviously the Coachellas, Bonnaroos, Lollas of the world don't need to sell single days where the smaller festivals do.

pretty happy with my choice on not attending...................... sounds like shitstorm

old school

Kanye just canceled Fuji Rock, which is the weekend after Pemberton.

Outkast
    Foo
    Killers

Prince/Coldplay/Bruce/u2/Stones/Petty/Metallica just aren't touring or will chew up half the talent budget.

Kanye just canceled Fuji Rock, which is the weekend after Pemberton.
    Hasn't cancelled his European fesitval(s) yet ... Still a chance. But this is certainly not good. Wouldn't really be pleased with those headliners at all.

old school

Hasn't cancelled his European fesitval(s) yet ... Still a chance. But this is certainly not good. Wouldn't really be pleased with those headliners at all.
    The Euro fests would have very thorny cancel fine print(7 figures each). Fuji may have let him go with little fuss.

I still think Kanye does both OSL and Pemb. It's the only chance HUKA have at 30,000.

It would make sense for him to cancel on Fuji and keep OSL and Pemberton on his schedule, as those two require significantly less travel, and would effectively constitute day-long hiatuses from recording, while a trip to Japan would likely take a healthy chunk of a week out of his schedule.

Or maybe I'm just desperate to make myself believe.

Meet Dukesliver McPoyle and Bumblebee McPoyle
    Translation

Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    DJ Harvey @ Public Works 11/21/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

Looks like getbetter is confusing his television programming a bit ...

In any case, it occurred to me that Death Cab could pop up as a headliner. I wouldn't love it if they did, but seeing as we're grasping at straws to come up with possibilities, they should at least be in the conversation.