Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Weezer would definitely be sub-headliner if they were to play Pemberton

That sure sounds like the sign of a healthy festival

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Tell me another available/affordable name that will get people away from 3 other festival weekends with "Q" in their names.
    Blur/Stone Roses? 2014 worldwide exclusive? Talked about for years to come?
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    No, I know [Muse and The Killers] are headlining.
    I said the COMBINATION of Blur/Roses, which will be a worldwide exclusive that will be talked about for years to come. (1/30/2013)

When are the Lolla and Outside Lands expected lineup releases? Things will be pretty bleak (if they aren't already) if both come out before Pemberton.

Just get a whole bunch of shit and...Rage Against The Machine. And only sell 3 day passes. Boom - sellout. Problem solved...

Quote Originally Posted by jhubsy View Post
    When are the Lolla and Outside Lands expected lineup releases? Things will be pretty bleak (if they aren't already) if both come out before Pemberton.

Just get a whole bunch of shit and...Rage Against The Machine. And only sell 3 day passes. Boom - sellout. Problem solved...
    Lolla is supposed to come out next week. Outside Lands usually is in early April but might come out sooner this year. Things are not looking good for Pemberton.

Neil Young is definitely out, dates fall right in the middle of his European tour

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtist.aspx?ID=272588

old school

Best case scenario right now might be Cure/Kanye/Jack W.

That won't get you to 30,000. Sasquatches and Squamish already have tickets slipping under face value on craigslist.

Trailer Park Boys are active on Twitter/Facebook, see if you can catch them with their guard down.

Think we can safely count Beck out, as it's probably too much to ask for him to play three festivals in one weekend. That being said, I think Jack White is still a strong possibility, and I'm placing my bets on Kanye taking the rap headliner slot. Now what's left to figure out is who will fit into this so-called "legendary" headliner spot. As unfair as it is to the promoters, the success of the festival will likely live or die by the strength of this booking.

Best case scenario right now might be Cure/Kanye/Jack W.
    Any lineup with the Cure as a headliner is not a best case scenario, Kanye might be enough to pull it through but he has little love in the Vancouver area right now, DukeSilver is exactly right, this whole fest is now hinging on that one "Legendary" spot and the Cure aint gonna cut it

Quote Originally Posted by wholelottazoso View Post
    Any lineup with the Cure as a headliner is not a best case scenario
    This. If The Cure take this spot on the lineup, I'll be extremely disappointed. They were all over the festival circuit last year and will do little to bring in any festival enthusiasts from outside the PNW. Not sure who else is realistic, but I sure hope it's not them.

Now, who else could possibly take the Jack White "good rock" slot? Foo Fighters seem like a reasonable guess. I don't think The Strokes are going to play any shows aside from Gov Ball. NIN/Soundgarden seem to be out. PJ strikes me as too expensive. Maybe we could end up with a split headliner from two bands in the Phoenix range? It's really all up for grabs right now. (Except Kanye, I hope.)

I wouldn't rule out The Black Keys, a safe, not that exciting choice, but certainly better than The Killers or Jack Johnson. Pearl Jam would be great and I still hold out that the "Legendary" spot will be someone huge, they started out hyping this as a top level festival and truly need to pull out all the stops if they want to be successful

Black keys are in Great Britain on July 20th for a festival there.

Quote Originally Posted by darcyj66 View Post
    Black keys are in Great Britain on July 20th for a festival there.
    I retract my statement...rule them out

Thankfully, Jack Johnson will be abroad the weekend of Pemberton as well, so he can likely be ruled out. Now, The Killers on the other hand ... That's a definite possibility for disappointment.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    PJ strikes me as too expensive.
    The fall 2013 Pearl Jam box scores were a little over million per show. For Pemberton they'd only need minimal backline plus band/crew/entourage.

http://www.pearljamonline.it/news2009/virgin.jpg
    2009 Calgary Virgin festival with PJ. Smaller crowd that Huka's ambitious plans. Virgin didn't seem care if lost money.

old school

Weirdly the JulySquatch cancellation might work in their favour. MaySquatch and Squamish still have tickets, some under face value on craigslist.

Is the festival radius clause lifted on those acts if their schedules can work?

I never expected Sasquatch to face plant.

Welp, we have to imagine that we see the lineup or a cancellation announcement in the next couple days ... Though, the recent activity from their Twitter account seems to argue against the latter. Best case scenario at this point seems to be Pearl Jam / Kanye West / Jack White on the top line, though it could easily be as bad as The Cure / The Killers / The Black Keys ... We know surprisingly little at this point, but all should be revealed soon!

... Right?

"bad" "the Cure". can't even.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

old school

It should be known that booking people around the world have been aware the W2 Sasquatch troubles for a month. The Bloody Beatroots announced a Sat July 5th date in Torino Italy a month ago(Feb 28th, 3 weeks after Sasq 2 sold passes) and it seemed to fly under the radar. This part of the world supported Pemberton/Sasquatch in 2008 with a total of 67,000 passes sold and if all the Squamish/Sasquatch 2014 passes sell they are at 60,000. You can't add in another 25-30,000 out of thin air, let alone do it twice more with JulySquatch/Pemberton 2014.

What I find interesting about Julysquatch is that they had enough pre-sales that they decided to book 90 odd acts. 3-4 weeks after the lineup dropped they pulled the plug. They'd rather spend $1-2million(depending on # of replacement gigs) to fix a mess that spend $500,000 on a new headliner or try single day tickets/minor discounts/bus travel packages. Ticket sales must have stalled at maybe 7,000 of the 25,000 for such a decision to occur. The Sasquatch facebook announcement "only" has 500 responses on the canceled weekend and the thread in their forum is only 10-15 pages.

Pemberton 2014 must have taken JulySquatch as a warning sign, or maybe waited a month to see how it played out.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    not that they're bad per se, just that they are a dissapointing headliner for all the big talk they were throwing out

Pearl Jam/Kanye/Jack White though, I could get behind that

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Not saying The Cure are bad ... Just saying that they've been around the festival circuit in the past year, making them a somewhat uninspired booking to top the bill.

old school

Not saying The Cure are bad ... Just saying that they've been around the festival circuit in the past year, making them a somewhat uninspired booking to top the bill.
    They haven't played anywhere North of California in 6 years. Other than Vancouver, they may not have played Western Canada since 1981.

That said, their last Vancouver gigs were a 2,700 seat theater in 1996 and a 2008 curtained off arena show that did under 5,000.

Welp, another day come and gone ... Personally, my patience is running really thin at this point. I was initially excited to have another festival in the PNW, as I've been to Sasquatch five years running now and am feeling like trying something different, but this is getting ridiculous. If we get to the end of this week without a lineup, I might finally abandon hope.

Here's hoping that they just had to wait for Boonstock to drop their lineup.
    But I agree, after the end of this week if there isn't a lineup, I'm giving up hope.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/arti...-headline-wssf

Basically, Pemberton (and Squamish of course) has a radius clause in effect that cock-blocked a small-scale festival in the area from booking larger acts.

There is hope yet people.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiecg View Post
    Here's hoping that they just had to wait for Boonstock to drop their lineup.
    Not entirely sure which of the artists on Boondock's lineup would be expected to cross over and, even if they did, why would Boondock have contractual dibs on announcing them first? Pemberton is hoping to be a much larger-scale event, so one would think that they would hold the upper hand in such matters.

Not entirely sure which of the artists on Boondock's lineup would be expected to cross over and, even if they did, why would Boondock have contractual dibs on announcing them first? Pemberton is hoping to be a much larger-scale event, so one would think that they would hold the upper hand in such matters.
    Just grasping at straws here I'd really like to think that there is a more tangible explanation as to the delay other than "We can't book acts.", and given that Boonstock is in the same vicinity/time frame as Pemberton, it could have been a possibility. There's a nice pile of artists on Boonstocks list that I'd be happy seeing on Pemberton's lineup (Wolfmother, AWOL, Mother Mother, USS, Airborne Toxic Event).

That said you are right that Pemberton should have more control over this stuff than Boonstock.

Just grasping at straws here I'd really like to think that there is a more tangible explanation as to the delay other than "We can't book acts."
    I'm with ya, it's getting increasingly disheartening to see nearby festivals in the same vicinity announcing anything, no matter the scale. If Pemberton was established like Outside Lands or Lollapallooza we would not be as worried, but after so many delays and relative silence on social media, its getting grim

Quote Originally Posted by wholelottazoso View Post
    I'm with ya, it's getting increasingly disheartening to see nearby festivals in the same vicinity announcing anything, no matter the scale. If Pemberton was established like Outside Lands or Lollapallooza we would not be as worried, but after so many delays and relative silence on social media, its getting grim
    Agreed. I feel awful for those poor people who bought into the Founders Sale & Pre-Sale. Nothing more nerve wracking that putting down a few hundred dollars for a festival that hasn't posted a substantive update for over a month :S

Agreed. I feel awful for those poor people who bought into the Founders Sale & Pre-Sale
    That would be me haha I'm not too worried and trying to keep the faith, I doubt they will go bankrupt so hopefully worse case scenario is I get my money back, and best case scenario is the wait will be worth it and they announce something huge. the biggest disappointment will be if after all this time they announce something mediocre and all the hype was for nothing