Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

old school

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blankity View Post
    Lineup coming soon. I'll post an interview I did with Huka later in the week, but yeah, soon. Just wanted to let you all know.
    Any update on the interview being published?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    "Originally slated for January, organizers of the Pemberton Music Festival (PMF) have delayed the release of the official lineup until sometime in March, according to a media spokesperson."

12 days into March and nary a peep. One full month of silence on the ol' Facebook page, too.

It's definitely looking grimmer by the day

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Any update on the interview being published?
    It's going up today. Sorry for the delay.

Check this out in the mean time. http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoad...es-next-to-but

Can't tell if Blankity is a huge troll or just really forgetful ...

Can't tell if Blankity is a huge troll or just really forgetful ...
    if that's the case, he forgot again

Haha, you all got me. I did forget. Here it is. Sorry for the wait. The Pemberton part is at the bottom if you just want that.

http://blanknews.com/festivals/727-a...ukas-aj-niland

Pemberton is another destination festival concept that we came up with in a town called Pemberton, in British Columbia.
    Yeah... except a little company called Live Nation held a festival there 6 years ago. There's even a picture of it in the article. You guys didn't 'come up' with anything, you just took over a failed festival from another company.

Haha, you all got me. I did forget. Here it is. Sorry for the wait. The Pemberton part is at the bottom if you just want that.

http://blanknews.com/festivals/727-a...ukas-aj-niland
    interesting interview, wonder who the "legendary headliner" is?

old school

Kanye is playing Fuji the weekend after, so Pemberton could work. I suggested Tyler the creator earlier in the thread and his new dates leave a gap before going to Europe a few days later and no west coast dates.

"Good rock, hip-hop, your legendary headliner…it’s a lineup that spans 30+ years of music"

It's vague but one could work backwards. Other than Neil, what other affordable acts have been around that long, unless he's referring to something like Flaming Lips. IMO, "good rock" could only be Foo/PJ/Neil/Jack W, though this company has booked the Black Keys and Killers.

old school

"We’re working on the talent, which is a few weeks away from being announced and it’s going to be a very diverse contemporary festival like you’ve seen from us in the past. "

Keep in mind that this interview is now 3 weeks old.

Yes, that is a good point Bumblebee. It was on Feb 25th when the interview occurred. So has Pemberton been on hiatus since 2008?

old school

AJ quote from Sept 25th 2013:

“Our vision for Pemberton Music Festival includes a wide spectrum of rock, indie, hip-hop, EDM, and more, anchored by top-level headliners.”

Feb 25th:

AJ: Good rock, hip-hop, your legendary headliner…it’s a lineup that spans 30+ years of music. We tend not to hone too specifically into one demographic. There will also be a little bit of EDM and a lot of great stuff that works really well together. I feel like this generation, young and old, loves to skip around and enjoy good music no matter what the genre is. People are really trying to experience a lot of music. So I try to program with that as the root.

So has Pemberton been on hiatus since 2008?
    I wouldn't call it a hiatus. Live Nation put on one, it was a massive failure financially and they never did it again. This is basically a whole new festival, the only things that are the same is the name and possibly location.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Live Nation put on one, it was a massive failure financially and they never did it again.
    I say it was more insane onsite logistics, since they would have taken in as much money as could be expected. Promoters frequently go crazy on the talent budget for the first year of a festival in order the breed loyalty later on.

Shane Bourbonnais getting promoted from local live nation to international was a bigger factor as it was his "baby" and he then lost interest.

How 'bout Metallica as a wild guess? They've played one-off type fest shows in the past without touring around an album (Bonnaroo '08 and Outside Lands '12 come to mind and there was something in New Orleans when they had to substitute for Green Day). Plus, they always do typically European festivals in the summer while they work on an album. There's a gap in their schedule between their last show in Europe and the next fest in Montreal in August.

As for Pemberton 2008 I had a great experience. I didn't have trouble getting there on the Thursday, camped on-site so I didn't have traffic issues, the dust kinda sucked but it wasn't going to stop me from having a good time. Showering wasn't a problem. The one literally shitty thing...bathrooms. We found a secret porta-potty in the woods but even that was filled up by Sunday. There's definitely some logistics that need to be worked on (the fact that the Sea To Sky highway isn't under mega-construction to prepare for the Olympics will help) but if the lineup is strong, I'll be there.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by jhubsy View Post
    How 'bout Metallica as a wild guess? They've played one-off type fest shows in the past without touring around an album (Bonnaroo '08 and Outside Lands '12 come to mind and there was something in New Orleans when they had to substitute for Green Day). Plus, they always do typically European festivals in the summer while they work on an album. There's a gap in their schedule between their last show in Europe and the next fest in Montreal in August.
    Metallica did THREE Vancouver Arena shows in August 2012, plus 2 more in Edmonton a week earlier all shot for their recent 3D movie.

Not happening unless Jason is playing bass with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Metallica did THREE Vancouver Arena shows in August 2012, plus 2 more in Edmonton a week earlier all shot for their recent 3D movie.

Not happening unless Jason is playing bass with them.
    They did a very thorough tour through Australia in 2010 and followed it up with several festival appearances just over two years later. It's not like they wouldn't draw. Can you tell I'm a fan? I just want to see those dudes again (I was at both of those Edmonton shows plus a bunch of recent festivals).

The timing of the start of this tour makes me think that one of these bands might be the Friday headliner. Seems a stretch to have both play, as they'd have to both play the same night (plus Soundgarden will already be playing Sasquatch two weeks before) but I think there's a strong possibility that NIN headlines the first day of the festival.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...grips-to-open/

Also, it would make a lot of sense for HUKA to time the release of Pemberton's lineup with their upcoming BUKU Festival this weekend ... Maybe we finally see a lineup this weekend or early next week?

old school

The timing of the start of this tour makes me think that one of these bands might be the Friday headliner. Seems a stretch to have both play, as they'd have to both play the same night (plus Soundgarden will already be playing Sasquatch two weeks before) but I think there's a strong possibility that NIN headlines the first day of the festival.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...grips-to-open/

Also, it would make a lot of sense for HUKA to time the release of Pemberton's lineup with their upcoming BUKU Festival this weekend ... Maybe we finally see a lineup this weekend or early next week?
    Vancouver to Vegas on back to back nights at the start of a tour doesn't make much sense, including production/backline being shipped.

Plus it's Pemberton 2008 repeat, Sasquatch 2009 repeat and I'd imagine that Live Nation wants to cock block Huka after they dropped $12mil on Squamish/Double Sasquatch gamble. Huka trying to piggy back 2008 Pemberton concept doesn't help.

NIN did Vancouver 4 months ago with an completely empty balcony and this tour has a fraction of the production. Not a way to get to 30,000.

Well at the very least, the twitter account has risen from the dead... for now.

When was the last time Kings of Leon played the Vancouver area? With their recent attachment to headline Lolla, they seem like as good a guess as any ... Really hope it doesn't happen, but it seems plausible.

When was the last time Kings of Leon played the Vancouver area? With their recent attachment to headline Lolla, they seem like as good a guess as any ... Really hope it doesn't happen, but it seems plausible.
    They'll be playing Vancouver this Sunday, so hopefully that rules them out.
    Last edited by kymess_jr; 03-18-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kymess_jr View Post
    They'll be playing Vancouver this Sunday, so hopefully that rules them out.
    Well, that's a relief.

I had a vivid dream last night where Bumblebee leaked the lineup...Springsteen, Peal Jam, Kanye...I think this wait is driving me insane

old school

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/vancouve...ishes-1.739928
    http://www.straight.com/blogra/virgi...lled-vancouver

Virgin Festival Vancouver 2008 was officially cancelled May 3rd 2008 without announcing dates/lineup. 2007 happened in mid May.
    Virgin Festival Vancouver 2010, and all other Canadian cities were officially cancelled June 4th 2010 without lineup and only rumoured dates. 2009 happened in late July.

We could be in for a long wait for the cancellation notice. Even the face book page has surprisingly little fan activity the past couple weeks.

Those Virgin fests were whacky. They changed venues (at least in Calgary) one year to the next and save for the headliners the lineups weren't great.

As mentioned above, the Pemberton Twitter account has some activity so at least it's not completely quiet on all fronts.

How 'bout another random guess? Weezer. Touring in the summer, playing festivals and dates open around Pemberton.

I'm going to stay optimistic until my hopes are shattered by an official announcement of cancellation.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by jhubsy View Post
    How 'bout another random guess? Weezer. Touring in the summer, playing festivals and dates open around Pemberton.
    Sonic Boom Edmonton 2010
    Squamish 2011
    Sonic Boom Edmonton 2013
    Rock the Shores Victoria 2013

All in the 10-12,000 range ticket wise. Their Vancouver shows since Pinkerton have been in the 1,000-6,000 range.

I still say Kanye/Neil/Pearl. 2 of those 3 names and they have a 20-30,000 festival, otherwise it's cancelled. Tell me another available/affordable name that will get people away from 3 other festival weekends with "Q" in their names.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 03-19-2014 at 01:57 PM.

They've actually blocked all posting to the FB page. Other than commenting on their previous posts (the ones that are still around) there is no way that the fans can be active on the page