Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

I was pretty shocked at all the crowd size pictures I've seen for this, kind of disappointed.

Easily my favorite lineup of the year, a great comedy lineup, and an outstanding location. (Those main stage pictures with the mountains in the background... geez.)

Was hoping this fest would take off.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    That article acts like there will be a 2015 Pemberton but the crowd turnout doesn't make it seem likely. Bummer because it looked like it was in a pretty location and the lineup was solid. Would have been nice to see those acts with only 5,000 to 10,000 people to deal with.
    Coachella 1999 and Squamish 2010 both had bigger crowd/money issues than Pemberton 2014. Depends if HUKA have long term plans and if they want to sink money into the name. Personally, I think Squamish/Live Nation have too much muscle in the Whistler Valley market.

In one article they said HUKA sunk $12mil of "infrastructure"(this must include all talent fees) into the festival. 20,000 x and average of $500/head = $10mil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    What festival is happy with sub headliner like Kendrick showing up almost an hour late?

http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/PembertonM...ton_bc_july_18

"After showing up 50 minutes late (and even getting booed a little by the restless crowd), Lamar was flanked by a full live band."

----------------------------

http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/PembertonMusicFestival
    more photos and reviews

He was 20 mins "late" for his headline slot last night at Pitchfork, but it went off perfectly fine. Played the same set as he did opening for Kanye on the Yeezus tour. And there were probably more people here than at Pemberton it looks like, lol.

old school

http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/PembertonM...ton_bc_july_20

No Andre during Frank Ocean's set.

I was sent a press release from Pemberton's press contact/ publicist after the festival boasting 75,000 tickets sold. So, lets all get Bumblebee on this. Now, we know 3 day passes counts as 3 tickets sold. So, if we divide this by 3, thats 25,000 people a day. However, we also know single day tickets were sold and that Saturday was, by far, the most crowded day. If estimates of 20,000 a day are correct - perhaps we can assume Friday and Sunday had roughly 20,000, and the extra 15,000 tickets went almost entirely to single day tickets to see the fiver.

Either way, I had friends say you could basically walk straight up to the front on Soundgarden while they played and the NIN crowd barely went past the soundboard. It would seem the majority of festival goers went back to their campsites during NIN.

Oh, and one of my friends saw a couple dudes doing line-after-line of coke during Randy Newman. Coke. During Randy Newman. The guy that wrote the Toy Story theme song. He said he will never touch that festival again as long as he lives. With that being said... a couple other friends said they had a great time. So, take everything you hear about this festival with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I was sent a press release from Pemberton's press contact/ publicist after the festival boasting 75,000 tickets sold. So, lets all get Bumblebee on this. Now, we know 3 day passes counts as 3 tickets sold. So, if we divide this by 3, thats 25,000 people a day. However, we also know single day tickets were sold and that Saturday was, by far, the most crowded day. If estimates of 20,000 a day are correct - perhaps we can assume Friday and Sunday had roughly 20,000, and the extra 15,000 tickets went almost entirely to single day tickets to see the fiver.

Either way, I had friends say you could basically walk straight up to the front on Soundgarden while they played and the NIN crowd barely went past the soundboard. It would seem the majority of festival goers went back to their campsites during NIN.

Oh, and one of my friends saw a couple dudes doing line-after-line of coke during Randy Newman. Coke. During Randy Newman. The guy that wrote the Toy Story theme song. He said he will never touch that festival again as long as he lives. With that being said... a couple other friends said they had a great time. So, take everything you hear about this festival with a grain of salt.
    I felt bad for Randy Newman, there was a small dedicated crowd who were stoked to be seeing him unfortunately the aforementioned cokeheads and drunks couldn't keep quiet during his solo piano performance, also he was struggling over the major sound bleed from St. Vincent's show from across the field.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    They would probably count the Web/Thurs tickets sold, even if most didn't attend until Fri/Sat/Sun.

Their math may be 15,000-18,000 per day, depending how the "Free" show on Wednesday is counted.

That sounds like the perfect festival size imo

old school

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    The venue can hold over 40,000, they would have lost a couple million and a competing nearby festival 3 weeks later will possibly double the number of daily attendees.

This festival wasn't without issues, that is for certain:

- The hike to the campgrounds from the parking lot was a total disaster. Much longer than they indicated via their FAQs and social media and almost exclusively loose gravel, making it impossible to roll anything down the path.

- The sound bleed could be pretty bad at times, though for the most part it was only noticeable in between songs.

- The crowd was far smaller than I expected, and I'm guessing that HUKA lost a lot of money as a result.

But, honestly, outside of those issues I thought the festival was well-organized and has a promising future. There were hardly any scheduling conflicts, and the longer sets suited a lot of the afternoon bands very well. The festival site is gorgeous. Almost all the acts came out on time. Security was present, but not overbearing. Overall, I would think my complaints are far outweighed by the positive experiences from the weekend.

Just my two cents, but wanted to offer them up in contrast to the negative comments from others.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Yeah, if you don't want a repeat the following year. '99 Coachella nearly ended Goldenvoice altogether.

I'll echo Duke Silver's comments (good meeting you by the way!)

Getting into parking was a breeze. Just drive right in, absolutely no wait whatsoever. The walk from parking to camping was a fucking mess. It took us 2 trips, each about an hour in the blistering Thursday heat, to get all of our stuff in. Had we known what the walk was like we would have packed differently and brought more things with wheels, though we did get a wheelbarrow since our friends who showed up Wednesday told us it would be a good idea.

Luckily we were able to sweet talk our way into founders camping as we had 12 people and 4 founders wristbands, and founders are allowed one guest each. The guy was nice enough to let us get away with that, and some of our later arriving friends were also allowed into founders camping since it wasn't that full by Friday. The rest of the campground was had an ample amount of space from what I saw. Probably a little more than you get at Coachella (on average, depends how many camp spots you buy) but less than you get at Sasquatch.

Security checks going into the campground were basically non-existent. They just gave bags a quick feel and coolers a quick look for glass. The booze limitations were not enforced, and even if they were you still could have brought you allotment of booze on every walk since they had no way of knowing how many times you came and left the campground. Security checks going into the festival were also extremely lax. I once walked in with a mix drink in a solo cup and no one said a thing.

The festival itself was pretty great though. Every stage sounded pretty good or great during every set. Impressive for a first time festival. The production was also top notch and lots of bands had their own touring setup with them, even non-headliners, which was awesome. I guess the large gaps on stages allowed time for more extras to be set up. There were weird faces projected on the mountains beside the mainstage, and the lasers projected patterns on the mountain opposite the main.

Every set I saw other than Foxygen was also really good. None of the bands seemed let down by the small crowds. Many of the more dedicated fans were even able to get some encores as the long set times allowed for them.

Yes, the crowds were pretty small, but as an attendee, it was amazing. I could pretty much walk right to the front of acts like St. Vincent, Modest Mouse, The Violent Femmes, Dinosaur Jr (at which I met the bassist from the Femmes /namedropping), Dan Deacon, The Flaming Lips, Big Gigantic and Blondie. Even for Outkast I could get way closer than at Sasquatch or Coachella even though I was running over from Modest Mouse with B.O.B. started playing. The comedy was also great, I got to see Norm Macdonald (one of the funniest people in the world IMO) and Bob Saget with maybe 800 people. I saw Bob Saget introduce Snoop Dogg. The Trailer Park Boys introduced most comedy acts and a few musical acts as well with some skits. ~75 minutes of St Vincent followed directly by ~85 minutes of Modest Mouse may have been the best 1-2 punch I have ever seen at a music festival.

The crowd was a bit of a shit show, but that just seems to be a trend at all music festivals these days. I never had a problem finding a spot where people were standing and watching politely if that's what I wanted, and if I wanted to jump around with wasted people, that wasn't a problem either.

If this happens again I'll be back in a heartbeat. It was better organized than Pemby 2008, more fun and overall a much better experience.

I have a fairly high tolerance for shitshow music festivals though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Edit: It also seems like the death is now being called an accident. In Canada overdoses are generally treated as a homicide until it can be ruled out. Could have also been something else.
    Last edited by davers; 07-22-2014 at 06:09 PM.

merely a comment on what i perceive to be an perfect festival size, not a comment on a perfectly run festival. although i can see how the smaller crowd relative to the space takes some of the enthusiasm of the moment away.

old school

With EDM tents near the campgrounds running after the headliners, was it possible to sleep before 2am?

Were there early morning main stage PA testing?

How was the food quality/prices up there? Camping supplies store?

What did people do in the 60 minute break between the headliner and the late night EDM?

Sleep before 2 was probably possible. We were really close, but I think a pair of ear plugs would have made it pretty easy, that being said I never tried to sleep before 2. The sets were only about as loud as someone playing a speaker a few camps over since the stages faced away from the campground.

Sound checks usually started around 9am from what I remember.

Food that I had was great, but is was really over priced. Still beats the hell out of Sasquatch food by a mile.

While I thought the break was stupid as hell, I actually really liked it. The furthest camps were probably a 15-20 minute walk from the festival, and ours was like than 4 from the main stage. Plenty of time to walk back, have a beer and a snack and see if you feel like going back to dance some more or not. From what I saw most people went back to camp, but a few grabbed food or a beer and sat in the huge festival grounds resting before the sets.

Out of curiousity, is anyone who went to Pemberton going to Squamish as well this year? It'd be fun to get a direct comparison. I'm also interested in how many people SVMF will get daily, since it seems like it could be significantly more than Pemberton managed.

I'm going to Squamish, somewhat against my will. I promised a friend I'd go before the lineup I'd go because that's where a big group of us met a few years ago. She lives in England now and bought her plane tickets, so I guess I'm committed. I didn't think it would be a big deal if I didn't like the lineup since it was always pretty cheap, but then they went and tripled the prices and pulled a lineup that might draw the worst festival crowd ever.

I heard a while ago they were passed 20K weekend passes sold right before or after day passes went on sale.

Squamish will probably sell way more day passes than Pemberton since Squamish is much closer to Vancouver and they have 3 headliners that would all sell $100+ tickets at Rogers area.

That being said, I will be shocked if Squamish is as well organized at Pemberton since they put the campgrounds so far away, and I can't see a lot of people being happy with that. I'd rather walk all my shit once and go in and out freely rather than have to shuttle to and from the grounds every day.

I just looked at the Squamish lineup and yikes. There are 3, 5, and 1 acts I want to see each day.
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Yup, I'd take last years lineup again over that, and last year tickets were $100 if you got them early.

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post

That being said, I will be shocked if Squamish is as well organized at Pemberton since they put the campgrounds so far away, and I can't see a lot of people being happy with that. I'd rather walk all my shit once and go in and out freely rather than have to shuttle to and from the grounds every day.
    When I went to Squamish in 2012 the first day was a gong show and I'm not sure last year's organization was any better. Aside from the acts themselves and a few food vendors there was very little to do or see. My sister lives there so it was great to see her and hang out but I couldn't justify the costs to go this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I thought that last year's Squamish Fest was pretty well organized, though I didn't camp so I don't know how things went on that end. This year seems like it'll draw a lot of people, but the lineup is kind of terrible; definitely some good acts, but it seems like they blew all their money on the headliners and didn't have anything left over to fill in the undercard.

Squamish 2010 to 2012 was actually not that poorly organized. True there wasn't much to do, but tickets were cheap so you couldn't really complain. 2013 was a disaster getting into camping but the fest itself was more of the same. They better have some amazing shit planned, but because there was WAY more to do at Pemby than any Squamish ever, though I'm pretty sure the insane ticket prices went to those 3 overpriced headliners.

I was hoping that maybe the competition provided by Pemberton would force Squamish to up their game again, but since it seems like they'll financially crush them that probably won't happen. Which is kinda sad, since I really did like the overall "vibe" of Squamish '13 and saw some great sets; it's just a shame that the organizers can't put together a better, more diverse set of bands.

As a note about Pemberton: just got an email from them thanking me for attending the festival and advertising a contest to get tickets to next year's edition of the event. So, it seems that they may be planning for a '15 show, though obviously it's far too early to tell.

Had Sasquatch II not been cancelled you would have seen Sasquatch II July 4th weekend. Victoria BC's Rock The Shores (that Goldenvoice is a partner in) July 11 - 13, Kelowna has Kelowha July 11 - 13 Pemberton July 18 - 20, Penticton BC has a festival called Boonstock August 1 -3, Duncan BC has a country festival called Sunfest August 1 - 3, Squamish August 8 - 10. Bumbershoot in Seattle August 30 - September 1, Rifflandia in Victoria BC September 11 - 14. And those are just the ones that have some semi-big to huge artists in their lineups and are within comfortable driving distance in the region. I think the initial addition of both Sasquatch II and Pemberton diluted the artist pool to book. I don't see how all of these festivals can all survive. Something's gotta give in the next couple years.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

old school

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    Had Sasquatch II not been cancelled you would have seen Sasquatch II July 4th weekend. Victoria BC's Rock The Shores (that Goldenvoice is a partner in) July 11 - 13, Kelowna has Kelowha July 11 - 13 Pemberton July 18 - 20, Penticton BC has a festival called Boonstock August 1 -3, Duncan BC has a country festival called Sunfest August 1 - 3, Squamish August 8 - 10. Bumbershoot in Seattle August 30 - September 1, Rifflandia in Victoria BC September 11 - 14. And those are just the ones that have some semi-big to huge artists in their lineups and are within comfortable driving distance in the region. I think the initial addition of both Sasquatch II and Pemberton diluted the artist pool to book. I don't see how all of these festivals can all survive. Something's gotta give in the next couple years.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...trol-1.2719304
    Boonstock lost it's booze license and then Bacardi dropped out as their sponsor.

2 days out of Bumbershoot is all I'm attending this summer.

Yeah, Boonstock looks like its not going to make it into its second year. As for the rest of them, I imagine that the Seattle and BC fests can mostly stay out of each other's ways (having to cross the border is a big drawback for a lot of people), while some of the smaller fests will either die off or go into very specific niches. I imagine that Squamish and Pemberton will exist side-by-side for at least another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going to happen. I can't see Squamish really collapsing given the huge gains its made year-over-year, but if their 2014 line-up is any indication of what they want to do going forward I really hope that Pemberton pulls through.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTA View Post
    Yeah, Boonstock looks like its not going to make it into its second year. As for the rest of them, I imagine that the Seattle and BC fests can mostly stay out of each other's ways (having to cross the border is a big drawback for a lot of people), while some of the smaller fests will either die off or go into very specific niches. I imagine that Squamish and Pemberton will exist side-by-side for at least another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going to happen. I can't see Squamish really collapsing given the huge gains its made year-over-year, but if their 2014 line-up is any indication of what they want to do going forward I really hope that Pemberton pulls through.
    The consensus seems to be that Pemberton lost 7 figures, but does have some potential. Depends how bad HUKA wants it to succeed. No word on 2015 beyond contests for wristband holders, which is hardly a firm commitment.

One lesson from double Sasquatch and Pemberton is that you really proper headliners to get big enough crowds to an out of the way festival for 3 days.

I haven't heard any Squamish numbers yet, though sales appear quite healthy. Lots of advertising seen around Vancouver.

I imagine that Huka will try for at least one more Pemberton Festival given how much money they sunk into long-term infrastructure. That being said, unless they get their line-up out first next year I still imagine Squamish will have it beat in sheer numbers if only because of the brand loyalty that some people seem to have for it.

Screw brand loyalty. I'm more a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of person, and Pemberton has been my favourite festival this year, which has included both Coachellas and Sasquatch.

Squamish has never been special, it's just close to Vancouver and (was) cheap. Unless they really blow me away this year, which I'm doubting, this will be my last Squamish.