Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 111213141516

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Oh, I agree, Pemberton's line-up absolutely blew Squamish's out of the water this year and I'd far prefer that it continue on then Squamish. But a lot of people seem to have something against the Pemberton brand for whatever reason that might end up hurting the event in the long run.

I bet if Pemby comes correct again next year folks will show up. Was the consensus that folks didn't go this year because of how bad it was in previous years or do I have that wrong?

I think the main reason it sold so poorly is that they took forever to release the lineup and everyone already had their festival plans for the summer. Most festivals in the area had their lineup out for months before Pemberton, so tickets had been bought and vacation had been booked and all that stuff. Had they gotten their act together sooner they probably would have sold a lot more tickets.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    I think the main reason it sold so poorly is that they took forever to release the lineup and everyone already had their festival plans for the summer. Most festivals in the area had their lineup out for months before Pemberton, so tickets had been bought and vacation had been booked and all that stuff. Had they gotten their act together sooner they probably would have sold a lot more tickets.
    That was a factor, but I think price was the bigger reason. Forced camping or forced shuttle bumping the price up over $400 just to set foot on the grounds. They are were also really late on the single day tickets and unlike 2008 there were no shuttles from Vancouver. The highway between Whistler and Pemberton needs to have as little traffic on it as possible as both 2008 and 2014 had traffic at a standstill - and those people need a very good reason to ever return.

It wasn't too unreasonable in my opinion. Sasquatch comes to almost $400 cdn and Squamish was $350 just for the festival pass without camping.

I don't know how it went for everyone, but I didn't run into any traffic problems entering or leaving. As long as they can put together a good lineup next year I think they'll probably sell more tickets. Hopefully they can poach some of the audience from Squamish, but I'm not sure how likely that is considering most people seemed to really enjoy Squamish this year, which I don't really understand at all.

I'll happily return to Pemberton.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTA View Post
    Yeah, Boonstock looks like its not going to make it into its second year. As for the rest of them, I imagine that the Seattle and BC fests can mostly stay out of each other's ways (having to cross the border is a big drawback for a lot of people), while some of the smaller fests will either die off or go into very specific niches. I imagine that Squamish and Pemberton will exist side-by-side for at least another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what's going to happen. I can't see Squamish really collapsing given the huge gains its made year-over-year, but if their 2014 line-up is any indication of what they want to do going forward I really hope that Pemberton pulls through.
    http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/09/g...xtra-policing/

Another strike against Boonstock