Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Quote Originally Posted by wholelottazoso View Post
    the biggest disappointment will be if after all this time they announce something mediocre and all the hype was for nothing
    This. We wouldn't have gotten that short bout of Twitter activity from the festival organizers if a cancellation was impending, but a mediocre lineup would be a huge slap in the face to all those who have been waiting with baited breath for any clues about the lineup since January.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiecg View Post
    Just grasping at straws here I'd really like to think that there is a more tangible explanation as to the delay other than "We can't book acts.", and given that Boonstock is in the same vicinity/time frame as Pemberton, it could have been a possibility. There's a nice pile of artists on Boonstocks list that I'd be happy seeing on Pemberton's lineup (Wolfmother, AWOL, Mother Mother, USS, Airborne Toxic Event).

That said you are right that Pemberton should have more control over this stuff than Boonstock.
    With the exception of date embargos set by Pearl Jam or Kanye(just announced a month in Europe for June), I'd say there isn't a possible way to defend the festival. 2 months after the competition announced. If OSL announce with Kanye, consider it officially dead.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    This. We wouldn't have gotten that short bout of Twitter activity from the festival organizers if a cancellation was impending, but a mediocre lineup would be a huge slap in the face to all those who have been waiting with baited breath for any clues about the lineup since January.
    The Huka media relations person doing twitter more likely than not has no inside info about what has or hasn't been booked or if they pulled up their stakes.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but considering the recent Twitter activity, I actually really wish I had bought founders tickets. The announcement really isn't too late (if you forget the January anticipated drop) in comparison with other lineups (lolla today, Outside lands, etc..). Isn't there a possibility that the lineup is super rad, but that they have to wait until say Outside Lands/ACL/LA Rising is announced?…or that they were about to announce, but are now in the process of adding bands from Failed-Squatch? Keep thinking positive thoughts, and it'll be (epic)

old school

Quote Originally Posted by plumdogmilli View Post
    Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but considering the recent Twitter activity, I actually really wish I had bought founders tickets. The announcement really isn't too late (if you forget the January anticipated drop) in comparison with other lineups (lolla today, Outside lands, etc..). Isn't there a possibility that the lineup is super rad, but that they have to wait until say Outside Lands/ACL/LA Rising is announced?…or that they were about to announce, but are now in the process of adding bands from Failed-Squatch? Keep thinking positive thoughts, and it'll be (epic)
    Squamish/Sasquatch each gave 2-3 weeks notice of the lineup announcement date/party.

Pemberton has been removing some comments regarding the lineup timeline. The "Soon" update post from 6 weeks ago in particular.

Fair enough…so they f'd up with the January prediction and have been trying to manage expectations and negative comments on social media since….if it all goes off well 4 months from now, does any of that matter?…Coachella announces in mid-Jan (3 months prior), ACL announces in May (4.5 mos prior)…Outside lands (3 mos prior)…all I'm saying is that just bc they intended to drop it 7 mos prior doesn't necessarily mean its a bust bc of a delay. There's bound to be some first year kinks.

Welp, looks like it's down to either today or Monday ... Kind of doubt they would release the lineup over the weekend. But, nothing about their lineup release strategy has screamed "LOGIC" thus far. So, really, all bets are off.

What do we think? Do we get to look at a lineup before April 1st? Do they push it back again? If so, is it to try and book some of the artists from Julysquatch? Or, will the worst come to pass and they announce a cancellation? I honestly have no idea what to think at this point.

No one ever announces good news on a Friday, so you better hope there is no announcement today!

They're clearly waiting until April 1st to tweet: "That 'fake' lineup that got posted months ago is the real thing, see you in July!". Then a few hours later "April Fools! It's cancelled, thanks for the presale money though to help us fund Hangout Fest".

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned Forecastle. Seems weird that Jack White keeps getting mentioned when he's already booked for another festival on the other side of the continent that weekend. Possible, but not likely.

I expect there to be a good deal of overlap (6-8 acts) between Forecastle/Pitchfork and Pemberton ... If it can happen for Primavera and Sasquatch, it can happen here.

The only act who seems to be completely out of the picture is Beck, as he is booked at *both* Forecastle and Pitchfork.

Also, Eddie Vedder is booked to play a solo show in Portugal on 7/18, so we can probably consider our Pearl Jam dreams officially crushed.

This is probably the worst P.R. handling I've ever seen by a multimillion dollar corporation.

It's almost TOO bad, that I sort of believe they have faith an epic lineup is coming. At this point if they put out a mediocre lineup, the backlash would cost them so much money.

It's pretty ignorant that the Huka Entertainment twitter account posts a "song of the day" every day, yet they don't have someone on the Pemberton account for months at a time. They should at the very least have generic tweets coming out daily/weekly to keep everyone with money invested more comfortable.

A big US corporation coming in and buying up a Canadian festival, and then ignoring it along with all their Canadian customers, while their US fests are running and active on twitter is a really good way to turn fans off.

Welp, looks like it's down to either today or Monday ... Kind of doubt they would release the lineup over the weekend. But, nothing about their lineup release strategy has screamed "LOGIC" thus far. So, really, all bets are off.

What do we think? Do we get to look at a lineup before April 1st? Do they push it back again? If so, is it to try and book some of the artists from Julysquatch? Or, will the worst come to pass and they announce a cancellation? I honestly have no idea what to think at this point.
    I'm voting Tuesday. But we'll see!

Oh man, this would be unspeakably shitty ...

https://twitter.com/BlogTrot/status/449611366530166784

old school

Quote Originally Posted by geetar View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned Forecastle. Seems weird that Jack White keeps getting mentioned when he's already booked for another festival on the other side of the continent that weekend. Possible, but not likely.
    I expect there to be a good deal of overlap (6-8 acts) between Forecastle/Pitchfork and Pemberton ... If it can happen for Primavera and Sasquatch, it can happen here.
    You MIGHT get a headliner to play Fri/Sun at both fests. Without a private jet the trip is a 10 hour logistical headache. Forecastle starts selling single day passes April 4th.

Primavera is different because acts could play Friday/Monday, plus the greater time difference.

With NY/PJ out that means Kanye/Killers/White or maybe a long shot of Replacements/Keys/Coldplay/Cure is the best case scenario. I don't see a festival for 30,000 there, maybe not even 20,000 at this point. Sasquatch 2 canceleing should be a giant clue that the market(BC/AB/WA) is saturated. Outkast at Lolla might show there is a small chance they could pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by plumdogmilli View Post
    Fair enough…so they f'd up with the January prediction and have been trying to manage expectations and negative comments on social media since….if it all goes off well 4 months from now, does any of that matter?…Coachella announces in mid-Jan (3 months prior), ACL announces in May (4.5 mos prior)…Outside lands (3 mos prior)…all I'm saying is that just bc they intended to drop it 7 mos prior doesn't necessarily mean its a bust bc of a delay. There's bound to be some first year kinks.
    Those other festivals have established built up audiences and pre-sales done 9 months in advance(more than 500 tickets). Pemberton is a festival by a company that as far as I know has never booked a show in Canada. Their targeted audience made their firm festival plans 2 months ago and may have trouble getting time off work. There's plenty of non-lineup things this festival could have made public to cement public trust, but instead they tweet condescending remarks to potential attendees and Beiber's mug shot.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 03-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.

I suppose I could see Kanye/Coldplay/Killers getting close to 30,000 if the undercard is strong, but all indications point towards them either needing to book a huge headliner from out of left field, or taking a big time loss from weak ticket sales.

Hoping for the former, but it's looking more and more like the latter.

old school

I suppose I could see Kanye/Coldplay/Killers getting close to 30,000 if the undercard is strong, but all indications point towards them either needing to book a huge headliner from out of left field, or taking a big time loss from weak ticket sales.

Hoping for the former, but it's looking more and more like the latter.
    HUKA don't have the clout to book Coldplay or Bruce. Coldplay don't even have any formal dates right now plus Pemberton shouldn't repeat a headliner from 2008.

I was just about the suggest The Strokes playing their first show in Canada/North of San Fran since 2006, but Albert Hammond is in Portugal that Saturday.

Well, they've already booked Tom Petty a couple of times, which isn't quite Bruce-level, but is pretty high up there. Someone of that caliber wouldn't surprise me, I just don't know who it would be at this point.

old school

Well, they've already booked Tom Petty a couple of times, which isn't quite Bruce-level, but is pretty high up there. Someone of that caliber wouldn't surprise me, I just don't know who it would be at this point.
    I've listed the available headliners that are known to tour this summer and the selection is now small. Petty still does strong numbers, but he needs a CSN/Cocker/Winwood level opener to get close to a million per show. Minus the opener Coldplay/Bruce do double compared to Petty numbers on average in North America

2010 Petty
    Total Gross: $44,696,605 Number of Shows: 46
    Total Attendance: 657,610 Number of Sell-Outs: 16

old school

double post
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 03-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.

We have a Facebook post! Simply the number '10.' Nothing else. 10 days til announcement?

They are getting just absolutely destroyed on Facebook and Twitter by angry ticket holders. This is going to be ugly :S

So, it's looking like they're counting down days, presumably til the lineup announcement, which would put it at Tuesday, April 8th if they continue at their current pace.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...-a-sore-point/

"Smith says they’re next scheduled to play Napa Valley’s Bottlerock Music Festival in May, but after that, they probably won’t hit the stage again until September."

So, we can go ahead and count The Cure out.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...-a-sore-point/
    they probably won’t hit the stage again until September."
    That gives me slight pause, but I'm going to put my faith in HUKA that they realize, especially after JulySquatch bombed with mediocre headliners (talking mainstream recognition not musical quality), that they need something big and that The Cure and The Killers arent going to cut it

I think that both Tom Petty (now that he's both announced a new album and is heavily rumored for Outside Lands) and Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder having a solo show in Europe that Friday makes things tricky, but not impossible) are in play for the "legendary headliner" slot.

Right now, I see it going to Petty, making the top line Kanye West / Tom Petty / The Killers. You could definitely do much, much worse.

The Killers (or any weaker headliner) are fine with Petty and Kanye filling out the rest of the bill.

Kanye/Cure/Killers= more Chaff than wheat

old school

kanye
    killers
    outkast
    keys
    jack w
    foo

I'm stumped on anything else being available. With the Lolla lineup drop, I've altered my opinion of double hip hop headliners and the outkast radius clause with Sasquatch.

What is throwing me is the promoter guy talking about a 30 year music legacy of 1 act. Flaming Lips started in 1983 and Grohl joined Scream in 1986(Pat Smear going back a few more years).

As for The Killers, last time they were here 12/2012 they did 10,000 though from several people I heard who attended, most were there for Tegan & Sara since it was a quasi hometown show. I saw Killers and Vancouver Virgin festival and the crowd was only 8,000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    What is throwing me is the promoter guy talking about a 30 year music legacy of 1 act. Flaming Lips started in 1983 and Grohl joined Scream in 1986(Pat Smear going back a few more years).
    It's a long shot with Eddie in Portugal (down South America way!) but Pearl Jam fits the 30 year thing if you're looking back to Green River, which I believe formed in 84'

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    kanye
    killers
    outkast
    keys
    jack w
    foo
    I think The Black Keys are out, based on European dates that go through 7/20.

I don't think that two hip hop headliners is completely out of the question, but it's bizarre to me that, if Outkast was actually going to be on the lineup, they would delete the "clue" they posted on their Facebook page a couple months ago. Maybe just because everyone guessed it so quickly? No one seems to have a clue about the paperclip + starfish + lightning bolt "clue" and that one is still on the page.

Paper clip - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_na...r_in_the_title

Starfish- http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/prince/..._20111384.html

Lightning bolt- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light...arl_Jam_album)

Or since these guys have been trolling for months, maybe none of them mean anything??

I guess it could be Prince, and then I would probably have to go. I kind of assumed the starfish + paper clip + lightning bolt was one artist since there were plus signs connecting them all (like 1+2+3=6, one answer).

I'm somewhat hoping the lineup blows, but with Julysquatch out of the question I do have some extra cash and vacation days to probably make this work. If I did go I'd be expecting the same clusterfuck as last time, but I'd probably be ok with that.