Page 1 of 16 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pemberton 2014

Exclamation Pemberton 2014

Does anyone know anything about HUKA entertainment or the Pemberton Festival Lineup for 2014. When announced last fall this was supposed to be BC's Marquee Festival and now it looks like its getting cancelled.

What do you think?

Default Re: Pemberton 2014

Expecting a lineup announcement any day now, and they sold out of all their presale tickets, wondering what makes you think its being cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
    Damn. Not too shabby.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Pemberton, curated by Jane Austen.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

I'm expecting this to face plant. All I know so far is they booked Trailer Park Boys and sold a rumoured 500 pre-sale passes that are non-transferable.

No updates in weeks and weeks on any of their websites. Their list of sponsors(especially media outlets or anything in Vancouver) doesn't give me confidence, though whistler/blackcomb tourism have deep pockets and don't care about losing money.

Promoters are based in the Alabama area and have no experience thousands of miles away. Not sure they worked in Canada before or have relationships with any Canadian artists. Live nation is not affiliated and will cock block them in several ways to make sure both Sasquatch and Squamish are successful. Virgin learned the hard way about doing shows in western Canada, with at least festivals going sideways before giving up. Virgin had to ship all their staging up fro California after LN prevented them from using anything in Canada. LN will build in exclusives preventing acts from playing the festival and Pemberton will likely end up over paying for the talent they do get.

Given that they got Rich Aucoin to play the launch party, they seem to have some connections in the Canadian music industry.
    I'm remaining cautiously optimistic on this front. Although the lack of updates is rather disturbing.

Bumblebee seems to have an inside track, as I'm one of the 500 I'm trying to be optimistic but you make some good points. especially if Live Nation is feeling spurned by someone trying to succeed in the spot where they failed

Live Nation might try to kill it (they did put on the first one in 2008 and lost an ass ton of money) but this fest still seems to have a following. Lots of my friends who went to the first one want to go again. I don't understand it, the first one was a clusterfuck. It started my interest in music festivals, and I have since moved on to better ones. These same friends have never been to Squamish or Sasquatch, yet are excited for the lineupless Pemberton.

And they sold more than 500 tickets. They did that around launch party time (the 500 tickets were called 'founders' tickets or some shit), and have since sold out the first level of pre-sale, though I have no idea how many that was.

old school

In 2013 between Squamish and Sasquatch they sold a bit more than 40,000 weekend passes. 2 Festivals with established connections with fans/artists/local area are both doubling ticket inventory to over 80,000. Pemberton claims to push that number upwards of 110,000.

One of the 4 festival weekends is going to face plant hard. Both Saquatches are on US holidays.

Pemberton Promoters have NOTHING to do with the 2008 version. I'm not even sure HUKA have booked many paying shows North of the border. They had a 2nd pre-sale(facebook/twitter notices only?) with partial proceeds going to "Movember". Some fans that tried the moment they went on sale both times got shut out, which tells me something about very limited availability.

If you thought Pemberton 2008 lost money(percent wise), Whistler Village had another festival 2 weeks earlier with Roots, Elvis Costello, Broken Social Scene and some other notable names. One of the days only sold 1,500 tickets. Whistler/Blackcomb was behind that one and are behind Pemberton 2014.
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1403...lvis-BSS-Roots
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 01-10-2014 at 02:45 AM.

You're giving me a complex bumblebee, I really want you to be wrong but fear you may be right, though if your predictions for Squamish come through that could lead to Outkast at Pemberton which is a huge draw

Outkast is going to be everywhere this year.

My thoughts exactly. With OutKast at Hang Out, they are pretty much guaranteed for this festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    My thoughts exactly. With OutKast at Hang Out, they are pretty much guaranteed for this festival.
    There is some logic there, keep in mind each of the 5 Outkast festivals are done by different promoters. The one in Florida is by Live Nation.

While Outkast is looking more and more likely, It seems people are forgetting that HUKA are not putting on Hangout this year, its been taken over by a different promoter called HOMF, either way now that Pemberton is teasing the lineup release, it can't come soon enough

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Why do you think Sasquatch is unlikely while Pemberton is likely? I can't see any headline act doing both.

Squamish lineup January 29th and Pemberton seem to be teasing a drop before that, within the next week or so?

IMO, if Squamish is in fact AF/Em/Bruno(he just announced dates that basically confirmed) and Pemberton didn't get Outkast, I have trouble thinking of a likely headliner that could compete.

I'm thinking if Outkast headline weekend 1 of Sasquatch, they could still do Pemberton, but if they did weekend 2, its way to close together

Bruno Mars would leave me scratching my head for Squamish. Previous headliners have been Devo, Bad Religion, Decemberists, Weezer, Girl Talk, Metric, City and Colour, Tragically Hip, Queens of the Stoneage, Mackelmore and Vampire Weekend.

Adding Bruno Mars to that list seems weird. If it really is Arcade Fire, Eminem and Bruno Mars then it seems like they are just going for straight ticket sales and completely giving up on sticking to any sort of style.

Mid as well just change the name to I <3 Radio Canada. That being said I'm pretty much going no matter what since a friend is flying in from England and this is where we met.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Bruno Mars would leave me scratching my head for Squamish. Previous headliners have been Devo, Bad Religion, Decemberists, Weezer, Girl Talk, Metric, City and Colour, Tragically Hip, Queens of the Stoneage, Mackelmore and Vampire Weekend.

Adding Bruno Mars to that list seems weird. If it really is Arcade Fire, Eminem and Bruno Mars then it seems like they are just going for straight ticket sales and completely giving up on sticking to any sort of style.

Mid as well just change the name to I <3 Radio Canada. That being said I'm pretty much going no matter what since a friend is flying in from England and this is where we met.
    Live Nation is doubling it's size, so ignore the earlier headliners since some were booked by non-LN promoters. I find Bruno a more credible headliner than Girl Talk or City & Colour

Squamish lineup drops January 29th. Bruno Mars plays the Super bowl halftime show Feb 2nd.

Bruno's Schedule:
    Tu Aug 5th Calgary
    Sa Aug 9th Gorge
    Mo Aug 11 Oregon

Arcade schedule:
    Fri Aug 8th Gorge
    Mo Aug 11th Edmonton

Likely Squamish day by day headliner breakdown:
    Fri Bruno
    Sat Arcade
    Sun Em

Girl Talk wasn't originally a headliner, they just made him one because Metric had to move days. City and Colour is a crappy headliner though.

I know it's getting a lot bigger, but I figured they would go somewhere like NIN or The Black Keys to sell tickets, not Bruno Mars. You're right though, those tour dates make it pretty likely.

Those 3 headliners sound like they would draw the worst festival crowd in history. I can just picture a bunch of kids who only listen to the radio and give zero shits about the rest of the lineup (depending on what it is). The people that have attended in the past have been one of the highlights for me, and I can see this ruining it.

I've been to every Squamish but with those headliners it would need a pretty solid undercard to get me to attend.

Maybe I'm just bitching too much, and this isn't even the right thread anyway.

old school

Another local source just told me Outkast for the 3rd headliner in Sasquatch and Pemberton fizzled(some acts booked now making alternate plans).

Outkast is interesting if they are in San Fran the same weekend for OSL.

So are you saying Outkast is playing Pemberton and/or Sasquatch, or Squamish?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    So are you saying Outkast is playing Pemberton and/or Sasquatch, or Squamish?
    Easy to switch those names up.

Source said 90% certain of Outkast for Squamish along with Bruno and Arcade. Pemberton cancelled with some acts making alternate plans as we speak.

Ohh 90%, just enough wiggle room to say "Opps I was totally wrong, but I didn't say I was sure"

For the time being the only act I'm convinced will be there is Arcade Fire. Outkast could very well be there, but there's just as much of a chance of them being at Sasquatch or Pemberton. I'd be shocked if they don't hit at least one of those.

We find out in 9 days I suppose. It will be interesting to see if Pemberton can get their lineup out before then.

Pemberton are still teasing the lineup on facebook...not cancelled yet

old school

Quote Originally Posted by wholelottazoso View Post
    Pemberton are still teasing the lineup on facebook...not cancelled yet
    Squamish announce January 29th and both Sasquatches drop February 3rd. Tomorrow is January 23rd, with Pemberton running out of time VERY quickly. The last semi serious tweet was Jan 17th.

A major local promoter in Vancouver is apparently scrambling to give acts somewhere to play Pemberton weekend. It's either cancelled or drastically cut back to something very small.

It's an interesting discussion if it's prefferable to have Eminem or Outkast at Squamish. I think its actually been longer since Em played BC than Outkast played up here.

Its definitely getting down to the wire, since I bought a ticket I'm holding out hope but am fearing they must be in trouble with the other fests announcing hard dates for a lineup drop. I would have expected Pemberton to try and get the jump on the established fests and have tickets on sale this weekend, guess we will find out soon what the real story is

Announcing a full lineup now for a July fest is probably pretty tough. I was surprised to hear Squamish was releasing theirs on the 29th; in the last couple of years they have done it in March.

I get that there is a bunch of competition between these fests, but if they really don't have a full lineup right now they'd probably be better off either releasing a partial lineup (Phase 1, Phase 2... style like Ultra) or just not releasing one at all. Putting out a thrown together lineup just a week before the other fests announce is stupid since most people will probably wait for the other lineups if they aren't blown away by the lineup.

Really I don't see Squamish, Sasquatch 1 or 2 or Pemberton selling out in any sort of hurry since the festival going crowd is just spread too thin at this point. The people who attend these festivals are going to have way more choice this year, and with a few exceptions most are only going to be able to go to one or two.

Its gonna be interesting to see how they all fair being so close together and obviously wanting diverse lineups from each other, the great bands could be spread thin between the 4 festivals with no one fest winding up great, Pemberton may have shot themselves in the foot a little bit by promising the lineup would come out in early january leading to alot of this unrest

old school

Sasquatch sold out in about 90 minutes last year. Both weekends are US holidays and the 3 days weekend is more manageable.

Sasquatch announced Feb 5th last year and Feb 3rd this year. Squamish is 4 weeks earlier than last year.

I haven't heard any "Julysquatch" rumours yet. Maysquatch has a couple like Foster the People/HAIM/City & Colour. The OSL thread here has a reference to an Eminem/Rihanna summer stadium tour, which might explain why Em is out and Outkast might be in.

Pemberton have no chance after the other 3 festivals lineups are announced and music fans have made plans.

I'm now wondering if Pemberton can throw some dinky July festival that is only an excuse to keep the $200-300,000(my estimate of 500 early bird, 500 Movember plus VIP/camping/shuttle) they've already taken in with pre-sale tickets. Tickets were non-transferable and I'm not aware of other work the Alabama based HUKA have done in this part of the world.