Disappears
    Deap Vally
    Terekaft
    JJUUJJUU
    Froth
    Mr Elevator & the Brain Hotel Corners
    Supertall Paul's Jive Joint

http://desertdaze.org/

$30 (or $50 with camping early bird tickets)
    Last edited by dorkfish; 02-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Default Re: Desert Daze - April 26th - Mecca, CA

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Just got tickets to this 1-day festival...More bands will be announced by next week. I'm hoping some desert acts get thrown in - Sean & Zander, Eagles of Death Metal, or something else that will groove and rock!

Full lineup was released this morning:

Blonde Redhead
    The Raveonettes
    Liars
    Autolux
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra
    Vincent Gallo
    DIIV
    Allah-las
    Night Beats
    Disappears
    Cosmonauts
    Deap Vally
    Mystic Braves
    Kiev
    Terakaft
    Mr. Elevator & the Brain Hotel
    Jjuujjuu
    Froth
    Corners
    Fever the Ghost
    Kiki Pau
    Al Lover
    Kikagaku Moyo
    Liphemra
    Habits
    L.A. Witch
    Church of Sun
    Young Old Man
    SuperTall Paul's Jive Joint

Vincent Gallo!!? Ha, the lineup this year is a giant leap better than last year. I'll be there.

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Got my ticket + lakeside camping today. Time to start mentally preparing myself for 3 weekends in the row in the desert.
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo & Traxman @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Got my ticket + lakeside camping today. Time to start mentally preparing myself for 3 weekends in the row in the desert.
    So who here went to the Fest last year? ...How many stages are there, and what's the scene like at the ranch? Just saw that another group was added - Gliss...

BUMP

Less than 2 weeks to go. They should be dropping a Festival Map and setlist times by the end of this week. Starting to get stoked for this Desert Party...

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb667 View Post
    So who here went to the Fest last year? ...How many stages are there, and what's the scene like at the ranch? Just saw that another group was added - Gliss...
    Went last year. There's a total of three stages. Theres two stages on the main grounds and then theres another stage in the camp grounds. I'm shooting video for the festival this year and I've heard their making the stages a little bit bigger this year, last year they weren't that big.
    The vibe is pretty cool. It doesn't feel cramped at all there's enough room to roam around and the people there were pretty laid back. Perhaps the only annoying people you come across are the OC kids that try really hard and pretend its still the 60's, but hey they aren't hurting anyone so they're still cool.
    It's still a really small fest that its still at its infancy. Its really cool how they have the combination of some really up there bands playing with local LA bands.

My friends have actually been nominated for a contest where the winner plays at the festival. So if anyone who hasn't gotten there tickets but decides to go you should get your ticket through the competition. The way a band wins is by getting the most people to vouch to buy tickets. If they win they also get to play the main stage which would be a really good opportunity for them.
    Heres the link for the competition. https://www.rabbl.com/desert_daze_music_festival Theyre called Wax Children

Here's a couple of songs by them.

Here's also a music video I recently made for them.

Here's also some videos of the small bands that are going to play the fest that are worth checking out.

Night Beats

Mr. Elevator and the Brain Hotel
    The Keyboardist/organist is really fucking ridiculously good. The better song starts at the 5:30 mark

Mystic Braves

LA Witch

Liphemra

Froth

I'm thinking about going this. Been meaning to see Kiev for a while and sounds like a fun alternative to what Coachella has turned into.

This will be my first time at Desert Daze. Such a great lineup, couldn't pass it up. We'll be camping out there too. Last I remember hearing about DD was in 2012. It was free and spanned the entire week between W1 and W2.

I would be there in a heartbeat if I wasn't already going to Black Sabbath the same day.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

I'm selling a ticket and a camping pass together for the early bird price. Pm me if interested

I'm off to Stagecoach. mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Shoot, I am tempted to go back into the California desert. AUTOLUX.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Set Times are out
    IM also selling my ticket for $40. IF anyone is interested PM me

I'd be willing to sell mine for 40 as well if it would help me unload this ticket..

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    Went last year. There's a total of three stages. Theres two stages on the main grounds and then theres another stage in the camp grounds. I'm shooting video for the festival this year and I've heard their making the stages a little bit bigger this year, last year they weren't that big.
    The vibe is pretty cool. It doesn't feel cramped at all there's enough room to roam around and the people there were pretty laid back. Perhaps the only annoying people you come across are the OC kids that try really hard and pretend its still the 60's, but hey they aren't hurting anyone so they're still cool.
    It's still a really small fest that its still at its infancy. Its really cool how they have the combination of some really up there bands playing with local LA bands.

My friends have actually been nominated for a contest where the winner plays at the festival. So if anyone who hasn't gotten there tickets but decides to go you should get your ticket through the competition. The way a band wins is by getting the most people to vouch to buy tickets. If they win they also get to play the main stage which would be a really good opportunity for them.
    Heres the link for the competition. https://www.rabbl.com/desert_daze_music_festival Theyre called Wax Children

Here's a couple of songs by them.

Here's also a music video I recently made for them.
    Thank for all the info Ambient Sounds and the various clips...Sorry that your friends' band didn't get voted-in to play at the fest...I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Night Beats, LA Witch, Froth, and Mystic Braves...And of course, the headliners, like The Raveonettes, Autolux, Liars, and Blonde Rehead...It's a shame I'll be forced to miss Allah-las in order to see Autolux :P

How was this? Didn't end up going.

Was it cold and dusty?

It was cool i would say. I cant really speak for it much though because i was recording the bands the whole entire time. I didn't have much time to hang around the festival. But I have to say though I must have been pretty drunk last year because the grounds were alot smaller then i remembered.
    The bands were really good this year. Was really impressed by all the headliners. The only headliner I really listen to was Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I was really impressed by DIIV, The Raveonetts, Autolux,Blonde Redhead and Liars. Liars really brought it and seemed like the proper band to close out the night. The singer is so animated and crazy in just the right way. He doesn't really seem like he's trying to hard be a front man but he just fits the role really well. The festival is still really low key and not very strict. People were able to get in with their own alcohol without much fuss which is pretty cool in my book.

As for the bad things, the winds were really present that night. Desert daze needs to really find a way to compact the dust thats in the venue because there was sand all over the place. I also feel like they could have done a better job with the sound. The mixing was kinda off. Alot of the time the vocals were really in the front of the mix. It's a psyche festival, the vocals should usually be mixed together with all of the sounds that are happening.

Other then those few things though I would go back. Just as long as this festival keeps booking good bands they really do have some potential to grow. But I can't picture the Oasis Ranch being a suitable location if the fest keeps growing.

Loved it. Everything you would expect from a young festival, the good and the bad. Love the DIY spirit of it, minimum security and the venue was just the right size for the amount of people in attendance. It was never too crowded and everyone was pretty respectful, for the most part.

It was a windy night and yes, there was dust everywhere for most of the night. The lagoon also serves as a nat breeding ground, so as soon as the sun started setting there were thousands of nats in the air. It always a gamble and there's really not much you can do about the wind.

There were three stages, one in the campground and two in the GA area. The two stages rotated back and fourth, so there was never any downtime. The system worked. Sound issues plagued the the larger stage all night, especially during Unknown Mortal Orchestra and Blonde Redhead.

There is definite room for improvement, especially when it comes to the dirt and sound. They really need to get some water trucks in there to hold the dirt down.

I hope it was a profitable/break-even festival, and am looking forward to see what they do next year.