Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Educate Others On The 2014 Lineup

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

Default Re: Educate Others On The 2014 Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Kate Nash is an interesting little creature I got to see at the Fonda recently. On album, it sounds like she makes really good Brit-chick pop music, sorta in the vein of that first Lily Allen album that was really awesome I guess? I dunno, can't come up with much better comparisons. But on record it sounds like cute, well-executed singer-songwriter English female pop music. Two examples:

HOWEVER, when she performs live she brings along a SERIOUSLY badass all-female band and appears to be not interested whatsoever in being all cute and coquettish the way you would think a girl who made those songs would be. No, Kate likes to perform live with what I can only describe as a frenetic, punk/hard rock sensibility. The girl likes to make some NOISE in a serious way and her band is really fucking good. So if you like pretty girls who make music or you like chick-punk, you will probably like her.
    Her first two albums were more in the vein of Lily Allen but she completely switched her style around back to a 90s riot grrl sound a few years ago. What she plays now is her most recent album and eps, which are far more punk rock sounding than her older material. Even when she plays a handful of her older songs they have been rearranged for a 4 piece rock band.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 01-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

old school

TEMPLES - one of the few psych rock band on the lineup this year. will most likely save your saturday.

Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Anti-Flag

Man, I never thought I'd be writing about this band again. Anti-Flag is a punk rock band from Pittsburgh that's been around since the early 90's. They're known for their left-wing political messages, and they take it very seriously. Also, their lead singer's name is Justin Sane and their drummer is Pat Thetic. As for their music, they're solid and always bring an energetic show. Should be a crazy set to catch. I haven't seen these guys since Warped Tour 2002, but listening to their music while researching the lineup brought me back to memory lane. Catch them if you can.

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

The above about Temples is true. Most definitely a highlight of Saturday. They have the backing of Johnny Marr & Noel Gallagher for best new band out there in the UK.

Here's some live stuff.

First album dropping next month.. I personally cannot wait.
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

i LOVE temples and am glad to see them on this thread. im for sure partial to psych rock amongst my tastes.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Prelude View Post
    The above about Temples is true. Most definitely a highlight of Saturday. They have the backing of Johnny Marr & Noel Gallagher for best new band out there in the UK.

First album dropping next month.. I personally cannot wait.

I dig them too...For me, a cross between T. Rex and Tame Impala.

Girl Talk

Girl Talk gets a lot of shit because it's a dude and his laptop "making" music completely out of other songs. That being said, he has a knack for great mash ups, mixing all kinds of music together. His live show is always a fantastic, non-stop dance party. Really, Girl Talk's live show is like being a fat guy and eating Oreos for an hour straight. Friday is going to be conflict hell, so I'm already assuming I'm going to miss him, but if there aren't conflicts... magic will happen.

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----

Poolside

Caught these guys at Treasure Island in October. Really cool, mellow, breezy dance music. A nice chill afternoon set I expect.

----

That Neil Young cover tripped me out at FYF ^. In that live setting, when I caught on to what was going on, whilst eating my pizza in the food court, it seemed just wrong. But they really did make it their own. I believe they are the ones that call themselves "daytime disco"..?
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Nicole Moudaber began as a promoter in NYC, then dived into DJing and producing. Carl Cox was the first to notice her talent a few years ago and invited her to play alongside him in Ibiza -- John Digweed and Adam Beyer culled mixes from her for their respective radio shows, and she's become wildly successful as both a DJ and a producer. She released her first LP, Believe, in 2013 on Adam Beyer's techno label Drumcode. Of all of the Yuma artists on Saturday, hers will be the most pulsating techno and expect there to be an abundance of that sort of steamy, warehouse techno sound that's associated with Drumcode.
    This is my favorite electronic discovery on the 2014 lineup. Thanks for the write-up and info.

Agreed on Nicole Moudaber. She's quite possibly my favorite Yuma discovery.

Has anyone done a write up on Solomun yet? Guedita told me about him and he's been my favorite Yuma discovery. So groovy. I'll do a quick write up later if no one has

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Has anyone done a write up on Solomun yet? Guedita told me about him and he's been my favorite Yuma discovery. So groovy. I'll do a quick write up later if no one has
    Listening now. Yeah, fuck.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

J. Roddy Walston and The Business : Super small print, small stage, early Sunday, HUGE performance.

With Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, MMJ, and Dr. Dog, influences, J. Roddy Walston and The Business is going to rock your socks off with their massive piano and guitar built old-time rock and roll. The band is known for their energetic live shows and Walston's pounding style of playing the piano full of fleet-fingered piano trills, yowled choruses, soul, sweat, and headbanging bluesy solos. Rushing across stage from mic stand to piano bench to atop the upright, or Walston throwing his shattered piano bench into the crowd (or East River), drop this Baltimore based band in their 12th year into your can-not-miss category.

Their most recent album, Essential Tremors borrows its name from a nervous-system disorder that’s long plagued the band’s frontman. “It’s this condition where my hands shake―sometimes not at all, but sometimes pretty bad,” says singer/pianist/guitarist Walston. “I’ve referenced it throughout all our records in some way, but it made sense to be more open about it on this album, which is partly about owning and embracing your weirdness instead of letting it hold you captive because you don’t even want to talk about it.

Scrappy yet sublime sound that honors both their Southern roots and punk spirit. On Essential Tremors, J. Roddy Walston & The Business builds off that formula with a mix of heavy hooks and elegant melodies revealing their affinity for artists as disparate as Led Zeppelin, pre-disco-era Bee Gees, The Replacements, Randy Newman, and the Southern soul outfits that once populated the Stax Records label.

Learning the gospel piano from his grandmother, he quickly applied it to scrappy southern rock and roll and never looked back.

"I think listeners get an energy from us that they've been missing elsewhere. Our music is like a gospel revival. If you let it, it can take you where you need to go."

Heavy Bells

Don't Break the Needle

Lucille

Marigold

Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 01-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Aloe Blacc

A soul singer song writer, aloe blacc is one of my must sees. He's a lot more then the hook on that awful Avicii song. I can see him being on the main during the mid afternoon friday.

I wanna see more write ups!!!

Surfer Blood

an indie surf rock band that have eluded the Coachella line up for some time but now are finally making it out to the dessert. Regardless of the drama with the lead singer, they are a great band and are good live. Some compare them to the pixies and that could even be said live as the lead singer will saunter slowly around just like Frank Black would.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Surfer Blood

an indie surf rock band that have eluded the Coachella line up for some time but now are finally making it out to the dessert. Regardless of the drama with the lead singer, they are a great band and are good live. Some compare them to the pixies and that could even be said live as the lead singer will saunter slowly around just like Frank Black would.

i really like astro coast and really dislike whatever the follow up was called. too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by Ride a Tire! View Post
    Girl Talk

Girl Talk gets a lot of shit because it's a dude and his laptop "making" music completely out of other songs. That being said, he has a knack for great mash ups, mixing all kinds of music together. His live show is always a fantastic, non-stop dance party. Really, Girl Talk's live show is like being a fat guy and eating Oreos for an hour straight. Friday is going to be conflict hell, so I'm already assuming I'm going to miss him, but if there aren't conflicts... magic will happen.
    Have you seen him live? He is the absolute worst. He and MIA are two of the worst live acts I've seen at coachella.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Do it!

Fishbone

Fishbone is from Los Angeles, and they play ska/punk/funk/reggae/etc/etc/etc/etc/.
    Maybe you know who they are because your friend's third wave ska band in highschool used to cover them at every show.
    Maybe you know who they are because of that reference from Hot Tub Tme Machine. That's okay.

Sometimes they play songs with horns.

Sometimes they sing about social issues and stuff.

Sometimes they cover Sublime. It's alright, just let it happen.

So anyways, go see Fishbone. It'll probably be a fun time.

The Head and the Heart

These guys are a folk-rock band out of the Seattle area. Lots of acoutsic guitar and songs that start mellow and build. The female vocalist can really belt out when she's singing, but she doesn't sing most of their stuff. They've got a nice mellow hippy-ish vibe to their shows. I've seen them live a couple of times, once as the opening band for Iron and Wine at a small club. That was an amazing performance to a group of only about 20 people. Saw them at Coachella a few years ago and they didn't seem to have the same energy as the first show. Anyway, definitely worth checking out if you're into folk-rock/pop.

I want more! the tracker is finally back so I'm looking for things to listen to