Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 2914

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Warpaint was my highlight yesterday followed by Kanye's "A Friend of Mine" coda to 'Runaway'

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows

Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I think people who unabashedly adore Kanye are going to be impressed by whatever bullshit he does on stage. Xanman's going to say he killed it.
    Are people saying Kanye doesn't have a band backing him in this thread? Mike Dean was on the keys/guitar during the set and Tony Williams backed up the vocals....

Not Kanye's best set but he was in a very fun mood that I enjoyed. "Can we get some bigger circles?" had me cracking up. Classic Ye.

Virgil didn't end up dropping Kanye's new track at the afterparty last night but he played some new Tony Scott. A Trak and Don C (Kanye's manager) were at the afterparty as well and Virgil ended up doing most of his set b2b with Jessie Andrews.

Upcoming shows

Events

Quote Originally Posted by harryoliver View Post
    Honestly what rapper has a band backing him anymore?
    Gringo shit
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Honestly what rapper has a band backing him anymore?
    Kendrick Lamar? Frank Ocean? Pharrell? Kid Cudi? Drake?

Machines that filter the water 7 times and then pour out the water fairly slowly.
    So are they using the worst quality water due to the drought to have this happen? Why dont they hand out life straws at the gate and tell everyone to drink their own piss.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Kendrick Lamar? Frank Ocean? Pharrell? Kid Cudi? Drake?
    Aubrey didn't have a band his last tour.

But the Glow in the Dark tour Kanye put on back in 2008 had a band and it was legendary.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    TRAVI$ SCOTT for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Virgil didn't end up dropping Kanye's new track at the afterparty last night but he played some new Tony Scott. A Trak and Don C (Kanye's manager) were at the afterparty as well and Virgil ended up doing most of his set b2b with Jessie Andrews.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Day 2 thoughts: the 200 souls who caught Christopher Owens' set had one heck of a time. Almost nobody there, but he put on a hell of a show, with backing singers, guests and cowboy hats.

Whoever mentioned the Toyota stage was bang on. I caught Deer Tick in there, as well as The Districts (or Districs as they were billed). You essentially watch three or four songs and then have a beer with your favourite artists. Brilliants stuff. Deer Tick did some Nirvana.

Bit disappointed with the catering. Outside Lambs has been replaced by four guys from TV cooking shows arguing about wine with the Roadie from HAIM. Absolute waste. Your best bang for your buck is the black bean and sweet potato burrito from the main stage. The best quality is the Chicken Curry and Blackcurrant nachos, but they are called something else this year.

Dum Dum Girls lead guitarist is so bad she has to have somebody else play along with her. Nonetheless, that was one sexy set.

The weather on the surface of things was not as nice, but today was classic sunburn without the sun weather.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Anyone catch that A-Trak set in the woods?

This has been like the Bizarro Outside Lands for me - Friday's Kanye set made me wish I had seen Arctic Monkeys instead....tonight, Tom Petty made me wish I had see Mackelmore (I'm a TP fan, have seen him 4-5 times but was pretty bored tonight, despite a fun Grateful Dead cover) The Kooks were fantastic as were Local Natives.

I'll also chime in to say thanks to whoever mentioned the Toyota tent. Was able to see Fences, Vance Joy and Big Freedia super close. Loved it!
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

just ran into Wayne Coyne at a walgreens, said the band just rolled into town and that they are excited for the main stage tomorrow. i know this doesn't contribute much but it was awesome and I can't wait to see them

Loved the overcast day today!!

Trails and Ways (did Oakland proud and were a great way to begin the day. All four bandmembers take lead on vocals for their various songs) > the Kooks (partial potty break and drink set) > Jagwar Ma (They were so into their set and so effing great, so much better than the two times I'd seen them before) > Local Natives (meet and greet partial set) > Tycho (awesomeness and his new summertime visuals are so perfect) > Capital Cities (tight and so much fun!) > Atmosphere (an unanticipated surprise) > Tom Petty (buzzkill, though Free Falling was cool. For someone with such a great current and back catalog, his sets have way too much downtime) > El Radio Fantasique (such an awesome way to end the day, the hills were alive!)
    12/31 NYE w/ Chromeo @ Fort Mason
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    02/13 Breakbot @ The Mezzanine (?)
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

While I highly disagree with whoever said Warpaint aren't very good live, that was probably my least favorite set I've caught from them. They should've been on the Sutro. Friday in general was a downer for me since I woke up to a call that two of my grandparents were in the hospital, so I was admittedly in a bad mood all day. A day I'll probably forget in the long run.

Saturday was completely different. I was surprised how fun The Kooks were (considering I haven't listened to them since their first album) and was glad to write Tom Petty off my bucket list. And people rag on Haim, but that was probably the tightest set I've seen from them.

Everybody I saw today was solid.

The Kooks were good. Local Natives was super into it and brought a ton of energy.

Haim is great as always, not sure why you people don't like them.

Death Cab somehow ended up being my favorite of the day. I still know all the lyrics by heart from middle school lol

Tom Petty was a bit boring, but I love his hits so much that I can't complain. His new stuff I hadn't listen to at all so it was hard to get into. Friend of the Devil was a nice tribute to Jerry.

Chicken + waffles were good and the Mendicino Double IPA I had yesterday was tasty.

Good point. Beer. I've been enjoying the Rapscalliion Belgian and the Racer 5 ale, in fairly largely quantities.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Last day y'all, let's do this!!

Trails and ways were a great way to start the day. The Districts were rocking their asses off. Jagwar Ma and Tycho were both pretty good then wandered into the end of the Duck Sauce thing at Gastromagic which was surreal. Haim were a little better than expected but still soft sing too much. The line for Gorgon City was too long to deal with so checked out Duck Sauce who were fun but a little too cheezy at times but people were digging it.

I was surprised how many people were at Tycho. I have a feeling Flume is going to be packed.

I liked Petty's set with some solid long jams and that was the happiest ive seen the crowd all weekend. Makes for a better time when people are really into it.

Got into wine lands yesterday but gonna explore the beer tent more today and hope to get a spot for Lewis Black.

Flume is definitely going to be packed. Especially now that CHVRCHES have cancelled.

Did Tycho have a live band yestedday? Looked like he didn't from pics I've seen.

I was in the front for Warpaint, Local Natives, Flume, and Lykke Li.... and they all killed it. Wonderful Weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Did Tycho have a live band yestedday? Looked like he didn't from pics I've seen.
    Live band minus drummer (which is sad because Tycho's drummer is usually my favorite part).

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    December
    3 - alt-J - Pageant

Lykke Li absolutely killed it. I hoped for the best and she outshone my greatest expectations. By far my absolute favorite set for a long time now. I cannot express how much her set touched and meant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Live band minus drummer (which is sad because Tycho's drummer is usually my favorite part).
    I'm not sure how far away from the stage you were, but Scott's drummer was indeed there and Tycho performed as a four piece (youtube confirmation).

This was my 10th time seeing Tycho since 2007 and I'm pretty sure this was by far the largest crowd he/they have ever performed in front of.

Now that Outside Lands is over, Tom Petty has announced a date at SAP Center 10/5.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Lykke Li absolutely killed it. I hoped for the best and she outshone my greatest expectations. By far my absolute favorite set for a long time now. I cannot express how much her set touched and meant to me.
    I completely agree. I did not realize how amazing it would be until I was there... But god damn that was definitely one of the best sets I've experienced at Outside Lands all together.

How were Spoon and the Flaming Lips?

Upcoming shows

Events

I'm a big Spoon fan and enjoyed their set but feel they are the type of band that isn't going to win over any non-fans through their live show. Flaming Lips was entertaining (and this is from a non-fan!)

Best set of the day for me was Lucius.

Lurker

I didn't get to see Spoon but The Flaming Lips were solid. Put on a really great show with all the bells and whistles. People were very pleased and they played right before The Killers so it worked out.

I was going to see Flume regardless so when I heard Chvches cancelled I booked it over to Twin Peaks with an hour and half to spare. Was up front hanging out then realized things were getting tighter and tighter...got up on the rail up front too look back and saw cats in the fucking trees...The crowd even amazed him. He made the comment "I can't believe there are this many people here....I'm really out!" If anyone has his full set list and mixed songs, I'll love you for life. Shit was one of the best sets of the weekend.

Overall this 3-day weekend for OL was solid.

Haim brought it and put on a great show. Haven't met a single person who didn't like their set yet.

Disclosure almost stole the weekend

Death Cab made people transform into their younger selves and just live the moment

Local Natives came out with a ton of energy and did a great show

I even got to see Patrick Stewart do improve Shakespeare.

Spoon was excellent. Britt was in good spirits and you can tell by his comments that he was really excited to open for the Flaming Lips. The new stuff sounded great.

The Lips absolutely killed it!! Abandoned Hospital Ship, The Golden Path, Vein of Stars, and Lucy in the Sky were fantastic set list choices. Visually it was stunning as well. I live how much effort they put into their presentation.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2), 14 (wk 1 & 2)

More post-OSL shows:

Lykke Li 9/21 The Fox
    Ray Lamontagne 10/14 The Fox
    Imelda May 10/9 Fillmore
    Last edited by Listening; 08-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.