Page 87 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2914

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

I'm not too happy about having to spend so much time at the Twin Peaks stage this year. It is by far my least favorite stage, but maybe this will be the year it grows on me.

Vasoline Groove, have you seen Tycho's current band perform live? They're are pretty damn good.

I've seen Tycho 9 times since 2007 and have seen every iteration of his live music show, from the initial laptop, keys and guitar incarnation (4x), to Dusty Brown guest performing with him at the Decibel festival, to Tycho's first ever performance with a full live band (it featured a live female vocalist), and finally 3 times with his current set-up. I can say with authority, Tycho’s live music production has only gotten better over time and I am really looking forward to seeing him perform outdoors, which will be a first for me.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Joshkitchen90 View Post
    And looks like TP gets the longest set of the fest
    As it should be.

Any tips for camping at the main stage? I plan to do that Saturday.
    I did it for Paul McCartney last year, wasn't too hard.

We sat towards the sound stage for most of the time (if you get there early enough you can get back rest against the fence), then after Band of Horses we moved up for The National. We ended up being about five rows back from the front fence. I would imagine it's going to be easier for Tom Petty.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    I'm not too happy about having to spend so much time at the Twin Peaks stage this year. It is by far my least favorite stage, but maybe this will be the year it grows on me.

Vasoline Groove, have you seen Tycho's current band perform live? They're are pretty damn good.

I've seen Tycho 9 times since 2007 and have seen every iteration of his live music show, from the initial laptop, keys and guitar incarnation (4x), to Dusty Brown guest performing with him at the Decibel festival, to Tycho's first ever performance with a full live band (it featured a live female vocalist), and finally 3 times with his current set-up. I can say with authority, Tycho’s live music production has only gotten better over time and I am really looking forward to seeing him perform outdoors, which will be a first for me.
    Yeah, I saw him with a three person band at SXSW 2.5 years ago which was decent but like all SXSW sets, very short. Then I saw him open for Hot Chip last year which I think was either two or three people. I liked the more uptempo songs off the beginning of Dive but those were the only songs that really stood out to me. I know he has a new album out so I'll give it a couple more listens and maybe he's developed more as a live act with experience and new material. How's the current set up?

Don't have too many tips for camping because normally I'm running all over the place. But as far as the main stage, I do like the right side (if you are looking at the stage) better than the left side. The bathrooms are easier to get to on the right side and it seems like there is less crowd movement on that side as you are dealing with Sutro stage spillover instead of Twin Peaks spillover.

I'm not able to attend this year so I really didn't all that much research on the line up but they did an excellent job of having the bands I would want to see conflict. Sunday afternoon/night is brutal.

For the people wondering I also don't expect AM to have nearly as much of a crowd as Phoenix did last year. I don't think nearly as many casual fans care about NIN then they do Kanye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Vasoline Groove, I also saw the Converse show at Slim's and what a line-up that was: Social Studies > Blackbird Blackbird > Tycho > Hot Chip.

Anyway, that evening was a three-piece performance by Scott, a live drummer and bassist. Scott has since added a fourth musician on lap-top/keys/guitar. Song wise, their current sets feature mostly newer stuff with a couple blasts from the past. A great example of their current show is their recent SF Boiler Room performance included below:

9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

^I'll have to check that out. Thanks for posting it. I'm pretty sure I will be checking them out again at OSL.

I'll be skipping out on Tycho to see Local Natives (one of my all time favorite bands), luckily I'll be seeing them at FYF... Let me know how they were after the fest!

Tycho was one of my favorite sets at Sasquatch, I was really hoping they would get a night or sunset slot at OSL, but the show will still be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

Quote Originally Posted by idb1204 View Post
    Tycho was one of my favorite sets at Sasquatch, I was really hoping they would get a night or sunset slot at OSL, but the show will still be great.
    There really isn't a sunset slot at Outside Lands. With the noise curfew and Headliners having a full set the start during sunset and by the time the Twin Peaks headliners start it is usually already dark. I guess the Panhandle stage closer would be during sunset into the night time some but Tycho isn't and wouldn't have been on that stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I'm glad the schedule came out already, though does anyone have a printer friendly version that puts each day on a separate page without the text all going haywire? Maybe Consequence of Sound will put the set times up?

http://lineup.sfoutsidelands.com/events/2014/08/08/
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

So glad to see Warpaint on Twin Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by gopher37 View Post
    I'm glad the schedule came out already, though does anyone have a printer friendly version that puts each day on a separate page without the text all going haywire? Maybe Consequence of Sound will put the set times up?

http://lineup.sfoutsidelands.com/events/2014/08/08/
    There's a Print link at the top-right of the schedule on the aforementioned page. It's not that obvious, easily overlooked. You can also download the ical file for your custom schedule to import your artists' set times to your phone/whatever. (NOTE: you can subscribe to the ical link and it'll automatically track your custom schedule in the calendar app of your choice).
    Last edited by knotted_donuts; 07-22-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more accurate ical info

Did it for Macca last year, so here goes.

Bring water, but drink it sparingly so you don't have to use the restroom. Make sure you're wearing comfy shoes (no sandals). I would recommend a hat and sunglasses if it's at all sunny. Bring some power bars, or any other food that doesn't spoil. Bring a little more food than you think you will need; worst case scenario you have it leftover for the next day or you give it away. A little sweater will be your best friend, often gets chilly after sundown.

I recommend putting all of your stuff in one of those drawstring bags as opposed to a backpack to minimize space usage.
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-22-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    There's a Print link at the top-right of the schedule on the aforementioned page. It's not that obvious, easily overlooked. You can also download the ical file for your custom schedule to import your artists' set times to your phone/whatever. (NOTE: you can subscribe to the ical link and it'll automatically track your custom schedule in the calendar app of your choice).
    Appreciate the reply - I don't want to create a custom schedule, I simply want to print out the schedule as is, and for whatever reason the Outside Lands website formatting sucks. Printing it out always seems to work for Coachella. Oh well, I'll just wait and hope Consequence of Sound puts it up sometime in a better format.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Did it for Macca last year, so here goes.

Bring water, but drink it sparingly so you don't have to use the restroom. Make sure you're wearing comfy shoes (no sandals). I would recommend a hat and sunglasses if it's at all sunny. Bring some power bars, or any other food that doesn't spoil. Bring a little more food than you think you will need; worst case scenario you have it leftover for the next day or you give it away. A little sweater will be your best friend, often gets chilly after sundown.

I recommend putting all of your stuff in one of those drawstring bags as opposed to a backpack to minimize space usage.
    Good tips.

Enter the main stage area from the right. The walkway is divided so that the left side has far less space and basically none of the rail directly in front of the artist.

Also, take a blanket or towel. It really helps you stake out a little area which sounds awful but tons of old fogies were doing it right in front of the soundstage last year for Macca so I joined them.

9/25 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 9/27 How to Dress Well, 9/28 The War on Drugs, 10/1 Jenny Lewis, 10/3 & 10/5 ACL W1, 10/10 CHVRCHES, 10/11 Spoon, 10/12 ACL W2, 10/13 Paul McCartney, 10/16 Rodrigo y Gabriela, 10/18 twenty one pilots, 10/19 Erasure, 11/7 Rufus Wainwright, 11/7-11/9 FFF Fest, 11/12 Tedeschi Trucks Band, 11/19 Chrissie Hynde, 11/23 Caribou, 12/14 Fleetwood Mac, 12/19 The Black Keys + St. Vincent

Well that really sucks about Run the Jewels being so early in the day where I couldn't make it without calling off work. If I were to go on day, it would be Sunday because there's a few acts I like.
    Last edited by getbetter; 07-22-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I have a pair of tickets + shuttle passes that I'm trying to let go for face value. PM if interested.

To everyone who has asked about camping at the main stage: Don't be that person or group who has a massive blanket and expects everyone around them to stay off it as the stage gets more and more crowded. I was at the main stage for a good 4 hours before McCartney last year and it was a really fun time talking to everyone around me, except for ONE GROUP. The group next to mine were sitting on a bunch of blankets that could've fit double the amount of people in their group and would yell at every single person who stepped through.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

Quote Originally Posted by idb1204 View Post
    To everyone who has asked about camping at the main stage: Don't be that person or group who has a massive blanket and expects everyone around them to stay off it as the stage gets more and more crowded. I was at the main stage for a good 4 hours before McCartney last year and it was a really fun time talking to everyone around me, except for ONE GROUP. The group next to mine were sitting on a bunch of blankets that could've fit double the amount of people in their group and would yell at every single person who stepped through.
    No mercy on that bullshit.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Also don't be that dick who complains about or doesn't try to enjoy the bands they aren't familiar because they're camping out... Out of anyone at the park I wouldn't expect any board members to be like this, for the most part you all seem courteous when it comes to concerts... don't ruin it for everyone else.

Thanks for all the tips. The drawstring back pack is a great tip. Will do that and bring clif bars and water. Wont bring a blanket.

No camping out for me. And, fortunately, not too many conflicts.

Friday; None.
    Saturday; The Districts vs Valerie June; Jagwar Ma vs Christopher Owens vs Local Natives;
    Sunday;Lykke Li vs Spoon

Other than that, I'm happy and I'll see everyone I wanted to see, plus a bit of experimentation on the tail end of Friday. Anyone know what this Janis Joplin Tribute thing is?
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Okay, hoping to get some insight on this stupid Arctic Monkeys Vs. Kanye choice. Advice is appreciated.

Saw Kanye last December and I loved it.
    I've seen AM 3 times, but never in support of this last album, which I also enjoyed.
    I'm ultimately a much larger Arctic Monkeys fan, and I'd love to get a great spot for them, but Tegan and Sara is very mehh to me, and when you compare that to seeing all of Disclosure--which is great--and getting a great spot for Kanye, I'm absolutely 100% 50-50 torn.

Will Kanye deliver as good as the Yeezus tour, and will Disclosure deliver a good performance like Coachella? Regardless, as a fan of Arctic Monkey's old shit primarily, will I be just as satisfied, if not more, with the Arctic Monkeys set?

Well, the Arctic Monkeys set will be mostly songs from AM. Seriously, they play nearly every song from the album, plus some older stuff. I happen to love the new album, so it's great. But since I'm seeing them in LA I will be at Kanye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope11 View Post
    Okay, hoping to get some insight on this stupid Arctic Monkeys Vs. Kanye choice. Advice is appreciated.

Saw Kanye last December and I loved it.
    I've seen AM 3 times, but never in support of this last album, which I also enjoyed.
    I'm ultimately a much larger Arctic Monkeys fan, and I'd love to get a great spot for them, but Tegan and Sara is very mehh to me, and when you compare that to seeing all of Disclosure--which is great--and getting a great spot for Kanye, I'm absolutely 100% 50-50 torn.

Will Kanye deliver as good as the Yeezus tour, and will Disclosure deliver a good performance like Coachella? Regardless, as a fan of Arctic Monkey's old shit primarily, will I be just as satisfied, if not more, with the Arctic Monkeys set?
    Judging from his current festival run, I wouldn't expect this to be as good as his Yeezus tour. It's a completely different set-up. However, I am, still, holding out hope at the slight chance Jay-Z will show up with Kanye.

As for Disclosure? I doubt it will be as good as Coachella because there won't be any guests.

I'm not a fan of AM, so this is an easy choice for me.

The songs off AM are decent live, but with only 75 minutes, I feel like they'll go light on the older material. Having seen Tegan and Sara a few times, their current tour is their worst, so I'll be at Disclosure while splitting Kanye/AM 50/50. You'll get a good show whatever you decide to do, but it sounds like you're leaning towards Kanye.

Quote Originally Posted by nickntto View Post
    Also don't be that dick who complains about or doesn't try to enjoy the bands they aren't familiar because they're camping out... Out of anyone at the park I wouldn't expect any board members to be like this, for the most part you all seem courteous when it comes to concerts... don't ruin it for everyone else.
    Why do I have a feeling the Killers campers will be these people? I guess that's one upside of missing Spoon.

I think a lot of Flaming Lips fans will be there too

Quote Originally Posted by gopher37 View Post
    Appreciate the reply - I don't want to create a custom schedule, I simply want to print out the schedule as is, and for whatever reason the Outside Lands website formatting sucks. Printing it out always seems to work for Coachella. Oh well, I'll just wait and hope Consequence of Sound puts it up sometime in a better format.
    I'm making a nicer version of the schedule right now. Will have it up soonish.

fyi the schedule they hand out at the festival is pretty useful, I think it's better than the one they give out at Coachella