Page 61 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2914

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Between this and Bottle Rock, the Bay Area is getting total shit this year. Tom Petty and Eric Church. Ray Lamontagne and The Fray. The list goes on. Short of being the victim of a violent felony or disabling accident, I can't think of a worse way to spend a day, and I would not consent to the felony or accident.

wow, super lackluster!

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    Between this and Bottle Rock, the Bay Area is getting total shit this year. Tom Petty and Eric Church. Ray Lamontagne and The Fray. The list goes on. Short of being the victim of a violent felony or disabling accident, I can't think of a worse way to spend a day, and I would not consent to the felony or accident.
    If seeing Tom Petty is a crime I want to commit that crime.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I don't understand the mentality of *complaining* about the lineup. Nobody is making you do something you don't want to do. Maybe you bought a presale ticket with the understanding that you were taking a risk; that's a risk you decided to take, nobody forced your hanbd. Maybe you haven't bought a ticket... guess what, NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO! That's money saved, certainly nothing to complain about.

No, they didn't bill Bruce and the Pixies and Elton John and resurrect Michael Jackson and Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison. They don't have all the top rap artists this year (guess what, not EVERY festival should cater to EVERY genre; I for one would love if OSL ). Some people set their expectations too high, and the only disappointment those folks should take is in themselves for feeling butthurt because some promoters didn't bill everybody under the sun.

I for one love this festival and am happy about the lineup. Golden Gate Park makes a spectacular setting that will never fail. The food, beer, and wine offerings can't be beat (what's that you say, this is "just a music festival"? Then what are those other words doing under the Outside Lands logo?). Maybe you argue that it's a festival aimed at the locals, due to lack of camping, etc; I fully support that. I support a higher ticket cost that aids in cutting the fat of the undesirable crowd.

And that's my 5pm drunken rant.
    It's a decent enough lineup, but there's nothing surprising. Nothing you couldn't see 12 month before/after the festival in the Bay area. Nothing that puts this festival alongside ACL/Lolla/Chella/Roo etc....

Compare that to Napa Bottle Rocket who got 2 of 3 headliners that haven't played the bay area in 6-12 years. They could have booked Replacements, Veruca Salt, Giorgio Moroder, Violent Femmes, Aphex Twin, Underworld, Mission of Burma, Damon Albarn, Placebo, Television, Strokes, Julian Casablancas, Densmore/Kreiger or Pete Townshend solo. No "out of the box" thinking from the promoters.

For those saying it will sell out anyways are missing the point. Festival as a trent only lasts a couple years and it's back to hardcore travelling fans in couple years. Some of those hardcore fans may look at this lineup and see 10 acts they want to see and ask themself if it's just easier to see 10 headline shows throught the next year.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I don't understand the mentality of *complaining* about the lineup. Nobody is making you do something you don't want to do. Maybe you bought a presale ticket with the understanding that you were taking a risk; that's a risk you decided to take, nobody forced your hanbd. Maybe you haven't bought a ticket... guess what, NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO! That's money saved, certainly nothing to complain about.

No, they didn't bill Bruce and the Pixies and Elton John and resurrect Michael Jackson and Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison. They don't have all the top rap artists this year (guess what, not EVERY festival should cater to EVERY genre; I for one would love if OSL ). Some people set their expectations too high, and the only disappointment those folks should take is in themselves for feeling butthurt because some promoters didn't bill everybody under the sun.

I for one love this festival and am happy about the lineup. Golden Gate Park makes a spectacular setting that will never fail. The food, beer, and wine offerings can't be beat (what's that you say, this is "just a music festival"? Then what are those other words doing under the Outside Lands logo?). Maybe you argue that it's a festival aimed at the locals, due to lack of camping, etc; I fully support that. I support a higher ticket cost that aids in cutting the fat of the undesirable crowd.

No one is allowed to complain about anything ever.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    Someone wants some attention.
    Last edited by Listening; 04-08-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    No one is allowed to complain about anything ever.
    There is no room for diverse opinions here.

Now be a good Stepford Wife and tell everybody how much you love the lineup.

This morning I was so bummed that the Pixies weren't going to be at a concert I might be going to, only to find out later in the day they will be at a concert I am definitely going to. Flaming Lips will probably get me back to GG fields, but those top few lines aren't really my cup of tea. Good bottom half though, which is always my favorite time there anyway.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

people complain because they have high hopes, and are then let down.

one the one hand you could claim it's your own fault for having high hopes, and some times that is true, but often higher output in the past has led us to expect more.

This is irrelevant to the bands, but who do you guys think will be performing at the Barbary?

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post
    thank you, thank you!
    I appreciate the fact that you start the playlist with the single best thing the Killers have ever done!

Maybe the price hike this year was in expectation that people will be disappointed because the lineup isn't as great as previous years (especially last year). Jack the price just to close the gap and still have a festival. Next year you will see the lineup slightly better than this year but nothing super epic like the past. You can't expect every festival to book an epic lineup every year...next thing you know you will have multiple festivals with the same bands...that's not good for the industry or fans.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

And as far as OSL booking a rap artist, fine I suppose but you could have done better and probably spent less money doing it. BTW, it would be extremely hard for Bottle Rock to top the lineup from last years inaugural festival especially with the promoter change and financial and legal problem they had stemming from last year.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014

Quote Originally Posted by GDSD573 View Post
    Maybe the price hike this year was in expectation that people will be disappointed because the lineup isn't as great as previous years (especially last year). Jack the price just to close the gap and still have a festival. Next year you will see the lineup slightly better than this year but nothing super epic like the past. You can't expect every festival to book an epic lineup every year...next thing you know you will have multiple festivals with the same bands...that's not good for the industry or fans.
    Or, you know, inflation

- five bands a day
    - hiking between stages
    - worst crowd of any fest

. Those are my key points , I hate this fest for those three things . If you don't book legendary headliners like prince / depeche mode / roger waters / Paul McCartney / radiohead , you have no chance of me attending this . It's not a good festival , people have overhyped it and blurred the truth.

It's absolutely an overpriced second rate fest . I have more fun at sacramento launch than at osl , I can see ten good shows with bands like rocket from the crypt and blonde redhead .this fest is overrated trash.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

I just wanted Kendrick

But yes, I agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    - five bands a day
    - hiking between stages

. Those are my key points , I hate this fest for those three things . If you don't book legendary headliners like prince / depeche mode / roger waters / Paul McCartney / radiohead , you have no chance of me attending this . It's not a good festival , people have overhyped it and blurred the truth.

It's absolutely an overpriced second rate fest . I have more fun at sacramento launch than at osl , I can see ten good shows with bands like rocket from the crypt and blonde redhead .this fest is overrated trash.
    So you keep saying. And yet you keep returning to this thread.

Anyway, for those interested in discovering new music rather than living in the past, the Woods record's pretty good. It has a real George Harrison vibe to it.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

I am a long time fan of Woods and I don't really see that comparison, but can tell you that when they play live they do some extended acid psych jams that are incredible.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

This line up is terrible . Everything about it sounds awful starting with the fact Tom Petty is a headliner.I think the first four or five lines are acts I wouldn't want to see.
    Last edited by getbetter; 04-09-2014 at 05:36 AM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Friday And Saturday only
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

And all of you are batshit nuts if you think the price increase is going to weed out the casual chatty crowd. There will be more of that obnoxioua osl goer than ever before.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    And all of you are batshit nuts if you think the price increase is going to weed out the casual chatty crowd. There will be more of that obnoxioua osl goer than ever before.
    Especially since they booked Kanye. Hopefully doesn't turn into a brah fest.
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    Anyway, for those interested in discovering new music rather than living in the past, the Woods record's pretty good. It has a real George Harrison vibe to it.
    Beautiful
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So I know this is a bit off topic but you guys seem pretty good at predicting stuff. Now that we know who is on the roster for Outside lands and Bottlerock who should be expected to pop up for Treasure Island, Bridge School Benefit, and First City Festival?

I can't believe this lineup after the last time I went - 2012. Metallica, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Foos, Beck, Jack White, Sigur Ros, The Kills, Justice, Skrillex, Bloc Party, Fun., I can't even remember what else I watched. Tom Morello? Franz Ferdinand!

That was a freaking amazing festival for me. LOVED it. Not so much this year.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    So you keep saying. And yet you keep returning to this thread.
    It's a simple concept...take your hate somewhere else please.

Reddits subreddit r/OutsideLands (http://www.reddit.com/r/Outsidelands) folks if you want some happy people to chat with that are excited about the festival. This forum was GREAT for leaks on who would play, but since has been a lot of depressing fucks that are trying to bring the vibe down.

- five bands a day
    - hiking between stages

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Beautiful

Touche!

Okay, new music with an old vibe? Is that any better? Not really. You know what I meant!
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    This line up is terrible . Everything about it sounds awful starting with the fact Tom Petty is a headliner.I think the first four or five lines are acts I wouldn't want to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Does this mean everyone's favorite message board couple won't be attending!? I thought this would finally be my chance to meet the illustrious guedita! Guess it's gonna be me and Henry pregaming across the street and then drinking beers at Deer Tick!
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Also there are 20+ bands on that lineup that I want to see, which if I put my 257.00 dollar ticket against 20 bands that nets me about 13 bucks a pop. Even if roboto's constant bitching about having to move his tree trunk legs across the park is accurate and I can only see 15, that puts my ticket at 17.00 a pop. I'd be happy just with that. Throw in even one stand-up comedian for which tickets are always expensive as all hell in Colorado and I'm elated with this purchase. I don't know why people are so sore about it. Me and those chumps on the reddit board are gonna PLUR OUR MOTHA LOVIN FACES OOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFF.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Worse than Coachella and Lolla?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk