8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Good girl! Now go dancing all day/night in the yuma tent Look who's enjoying Laurent's set from last weekend...

You are so fucking weird.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Everyone should check out Holy Ghost! If you haven't already. They put on a really great show show at Treasure Island and I can't wait to see them again. Also really glad to see The Kooks and Christopher Owens on the bill.

old school

rhcp4ever is sitting behind a computer with a vaseline filled sock around his 2" erect penis like his idols defending the good name and integrity of the only fest he has experienced.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

old school

Trucks, Lips, Petty, and a few others are good. Although he is a bit entertaining how many times do we need to see Kanye? There is nothing orignal unique or jaw dropping about a single act on the lineup. End of story.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    rhcp4ever is sitting behind a computer with a vaseline filled sock around his 2" erect penis like his idols defending the good name and integrity of the only fest he has experienced.
    Desk jobs suck, glad I don't have one.

Also, you and I coincidentally joined these forums January 2007 (little activity though on my side), Outside Lands wasn't even around then. And dude, this is a Coachella forum anyways. My first Coachella was 2007 and this year will be my 7th.
    Last edited by rhcp4ever; 04-08-2014 at 02:15 PM.

This lineup is terrible

I was on the fence for my opinion of this year's lineup, but I actually find the undercard really intriguing. My excitement has been sparked again and I'll see you all in August. Thanks for all the speculation and tip-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    275 for 15 bands with headliners I don't care for , there is no value. This is for locals only.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Exactly^ I doubt I would drive an hour for this if I had a ticket at half price.
    Cool story bros. Don't fucking go and GTFO of this thread if you aren't satisfied.

Quick question before you leave, who do you feel should have been there???
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Think they'll give Petty an extended set?

Also, really digging Jonathan Wilson.
    I think he's going to get at least two hours. Not sure if that is considered an extended set or not? Its more than the 1.5+ hour sets of Muse, Arcade Fire, NIN, RHCP, etc but less than Phish or Macca. For people that want a singalong, Petty is going to be your best bet. Really looking forward to his set. Sunday night closing out would be an excellent send off for the fest.

Also, just on a quick check, only four bands on this years lineup have played the fest before - Petty, Chromeo, Atmosphere, and Macklemore. I think the promoters do a good and tough job to bring a unique lineup for the fest every year, but sometimes that is at a detriment if they are not bringing back too many repeat acts. Some other fests bring back multiple bands in back to back years. So at least they are giving us variety.

Lurker

I'm guessing a lot of you haven't seen Cut Copy live, especially some of the haters here. Their new album 'Free Your Mind' live was amazing, and they have a decent amount of older tunes that are straight jams (Time Stands Still in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Mcuqt3EKo)

Others I'm excited about:

Haim

Jagwar Ma

Gardens and Villa

Jonathan Wilson (If you've never heard Desert Raven you don't know what the fuck im talking about) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hYiY1vOOVw

phosphorescent

Chromeo (seen them a bunch but always fun)

Arctic Monkeys (^^^)

Spoon (^^^)

Holy Ghost

Tom Petty (why not)

And now that i've seen the list, I will be diving into some of the others I haven't heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post

Also, just on a quick check, only four bands on this years lineup have played the fest before - Petty, Chromeo, Atmosphere, and Macklemore. I think the promoters do a good and tough job to bring a unique lineup for the fest every year, but sometimes that is at a detriment if they are not bringing back too many repeat acts. Some other fests bring back multiple bands in back to back years. So at least they are giving us variety.
    Truuuuu
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Lurker

One other note, look around at the festivals this year...its not 2007-2012 anymore. IMO somewhat weak festival lineups at a lot of places compared to years past this year. That's probably due to how many festivals there are these days. Plus there is a new wave of acts that are really trying to make their way up, with obviously a lot of the same ones headlining that did years ago. I love music and I love the scene, going to be awesome and can't wait for this and for THIS WEEKEND

I think he's going to get at least two hours. Not sure if that is considered an extended set or not? Its more than the 1.5+ hour sets of Muse, Arcade Fire, NIN, RHCP, etc but less than Phish or Macca. For people that want a singalong, Petty is going to be your best bet. Really looking forward to his set. Sunday night closing out would be an excellent send off for the fest.

Arctic Monkeys played in 2011

http://open.spotify.com/user/1220590...5qY6DeMJjrLaZP

alright heres a spotify playlist i made today. includes 9-12 songs from almost every artist/band and is based off their respective live shows according to setlist.fm. hope you all enjoy it!

i'll be consistently updating the playlist when new albums are released

Good points. Add Arctic Monkeys and Grouplove though. I think that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Just not a strong year for festivals in general...
    I said this when the Coachella line up was first released, the line ups are only as good as who is available and willing. Not one festival line up this year has made my jaw drop. European or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Good call on AM and Grouplove. I figured I was missing a couple. Still only 6 out of 70 bands on the poster have played at the fest before. Thats got to be tough to pull off every year.

Finish Ticket kind of reminds me of Young the Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post

alright heres a spotify playlist i made today. includes 9-12 songs from almost every artist/band and is based off their respective live shows according to setlist.fm. hope you all enjoy it!

This is awesome. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post

Thanks for doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Agreed. Listening to it now, even though I won't be making it to OL this year.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I don't understand the mentality of *complaining* about the lineup. Nobody is making you do something you don't want to do. Maybe you bought a presale ticket with the understanding that you were taking a risk; that's a risk you decided to take, nobody forced your hanbd. Maybe you haven't bought a ticket... guess what, NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO! That's money saved, certainly nothing to complain about.

No, they didn't bill Bruce and the Pixies and Elton John and resurrect Michael Jackson and Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison. They don't have all the top rap artists this year (guess what, not EVERY festival should cater to EVERY genre; I for one would love if OSL ). Some people set their expectations too high, and the only disappointment those folks should take is in themselves for feeling butthurt because some promoters didn't bill everybody under the sun.

I for one love this festival and am happy about the lineup. Golden Gate Park makes a spectacular setting that will never fail. The food, beer, and wine offerings can't be beat (what's that you say, this is "just a music festival"? Then what are those other words doing under the Outside Lands logo?). Maybe you argue that it's a festival aimed at the locals, due to lack of camping, etc; I fully support that. I support a higher ticket cost that aids in cutting the fat of the undesirable crowd.

And that's my 5pm drunken rant.

Coachella forums are double-posting.
    Last edited by knotted_donuts; 04-08-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpboy76 View Post
    Thanks for doing that!
    thank you, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpboy76 View Post
    Thanks for doing that!
    thank you, thank you!

Well said Knotted. I feel the same way.

I was surprised how many people believed me since I wouldn't name my source but I was right about everyone I named, forgot a few of the bigger ones, flaming lips and disclosure stand out to me. Thanks to all those who had faith in me.

Solid rant Donuts.

I think that festivals now have to be local festivals because almost every decent sized city has two or three festivals now compared to how it was 3 or 5 years ago. Look at Atlanta, it used to only have Music Midtown and that went under, but now its got Counterpoint, Music Midtown, Shakey Knees, and Tomorrowworld or whatever that rave fest is called. People don't need to travel long distances anymore for festivals because theres a fest near them now. So if a promoter is smart, they will cater to the local crowds for the majority of their ticket buyers.

I'm not sure that we get a sell out this year. If they have poor ticket sales, hopefully they add a couple more big names and drive more ticket sales, or they try and get bigger headliners next year. Although I think that acts like Macklemore and Tiesto are there to drive sales and eventually its going to sell out.
    Last edited by Vasoline Groove; 04-08-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillzzz View Post
    I was surprised how many people believed me since I wouldn't name my source but I was right about everyone I named, forgot a few of the bigger ones, flaming lips and disclosure stand out to me. Thanks to all those who had faith in me.
    Thanks for sticking your neck out there and getting us some info. Honestly, I think people are a little underwhelmed with the lineup because we knew many of the big names beforehand. But I'm happy you told us what you knew for those of us that risked it for Eager Beaver tickets.