Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 5354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2914

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    It seems that way with the big festivals recently. Seems like the smaller niche ones (Pitchfork, Moog, Austin Psych Fest, etc) are the way to go for more interesting lineups for those who've been going to a lot of concerts and festivals.
    Yeah, the big festivals try to have a little bit of something for everybody which turns everything more generic. The smaller festivals that try to cater to a certain crowd are able to focus on certain genres to make those people happy.

That's why headliners are kinda big deal, because otherwise you are better off just seeing the undercard bands when they come to your town and do a proper show. Petty and Kanye are probably $60 tickets each for me to go see them out in Oakland or San Jose which is a pain in the ass, so to be able to see them a half mile from my house is a big selling point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    Okay mindless speculation time. Who do you think will be playing in that "intimate" tent thing opposite the Panhandle? I've never been to a set in there, I think I'll try that this year.
    lol

That's the wine lands tent.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I can see why out of towners are not impressed. It's not a lineup I would travel even an hour away for. But as a local this is entertaining enough.
    As an out of towner I enjoy getting to hang out in San Fran + the festival. I don't just come only for the festival, San Frans fucking awesome.

"San Fran"

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

lol

Quote Originally Posted by mjryan5 View Post
    lol

That's the wine lands tent.
    Nope.
    Outside Lands 12, 13, 14
    Summer Sonic 05, 06, 07

nvm
    Last edited by harryoliver; 04-08-2014 at 10:53 AM.

I'm sure people will say I have bad taste in music, or whatever, but I am excited to see:

The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, DCfC, Ray LaMontagne, Haim, Chromeo, Chvrches, Capital Cities (YES!), Group Love, Jagwar Ma, and I'm sure I'll find some others in there. I just gave a listen to Nocona, they are really good, I'll probably add them to my list.

I do wish Muse was on there, I need to see them again. I hope that Amos Lee, Broken Bells, or Modest Mouse some how get added.

The coolest part of OSL for me is meeting up with friends (one of which comes in from the East Coast) and having a phenomenal weekend while checking out some new music in the awesome city that is San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandonsel View Post
    The coolest part of OSL for me is meeting up with friends (one of which comes in from the East Coast) and having a phenomenal weekend while checking out some new music in the awesome city that is San Francisco.
    Y'mean Frisco?

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Thanks for letting us know how poor your taste in music is and your eagerness to support such shitty music festival lineups.
    I think, some one needs to get up to date with the music on this undercard. There's a lot of gems here. I'd say 2012 and this year's line up are on par with each other. They're just different which is good because I saw 2012's line-up in 2012. Why do I need that again? I dont...

As far as hip-hop at the fest this year, you guys realize that OSL has never had a good hip-hop showing right? Last year they had Jurassic 5. The previous year they had big boi who was only there because he missed his set the year prior. They have macklemore, kanye, and atmosphere, that's already better in comparison.

Another note, as long as there are a good 5 bands a day that I'd like to see, I'm generally happy because that's all you really get to see anyways considering how short the festival is per day. If the whole line-up was stacked top to bottom I think I'd be even more disappointed because of all the great acts I wouldn't get to see.

Also another thing: Big Freedia.

Quote Originally Posted by jhubsy View Post
    Y'mean Frisco?
    Haha, nah, I've been around these parts too long to use that one. I should've actually said The City...

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    It's like no one is even trying anymore. I mean, I thought Sasquatch had a good line-up with Kraftwerk, Royksopp, etc. but we all know what happened there.
    Nobody has to try any more because regardless of lineup, mindless fucktards will gobble up the tickets in the first 5 minutes and OSL (and all other festivals, except Sasquatch who actually tried) will laugh all the way to the bank.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

old school

Quote Originally Posted by kfordham View Post
    I think, some one needs to get up to date with the music on this undercard. There's a lot of gems here. I'd say 2012 and this year's line up are on par with each other. They're just different which is good because I saw 2012's line-up in 2012. Why do I need that again? I dont...

As far as hip-hop at the fest this year, you guys realize that OSL has never had a good hip-hop showing right? Last year they had Jurassic 5. The previous year they had big boi who was only there because he missed his set the year prior. They have macklemore, kanye, and atmosphere, that's already better in comparison.

Another note, as long as there are a good 5 bands a day that I'd like to see, I'm generally happy because that's all you really get to see anyways considering how short the festival is per day. If the whole line-up was stacked top to bottom I think I'd be even more disappointed because of all the great acts I wouldn't get to see.

Also another thing: Big Freedia.
    I think you need to get up to date with what decent music is and what an actual good lineup for a festival is. You wanna pay $275 to see 70 some bands the majority of which are up & coming bands that you can see on any college campus for $10-15 play 40 minute sets. Your rationalization for not having a stacked undercard because of conflicts is comical and lame. Have fun.

Big corporations want to pay these new bands next to nothing have them play for free for exposure or have them pay to play so they can murder young kid's wallets. The wise ones don't pay up for this garbage. I'm not saying it has to be stacked on the undercard like 2012 but this is a rehashed embarrassing lineup for a major U.S. music festival.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

275 for 15 bands with headliners I don't care for , there is no value. This is for locals only.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

old school

Exactly^ I doubt I would drive an hour for this if I had a ticket at half price.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Is it safe to transfer a ticket through ticketmaster? they're going to pay me through paypal and then after I get the payment I will transfer the ticket through ticketmaster's new transfer feature. There's no way they can screw me over right? (like canceling the payment after they have the ticket)

Quote Originally Posted by taylooor View Post
    Is it safe to transfer a ticket through ticketmaster? they're going to pay me through paypal and then after I get the payment I will transfer the ticket through ticketmaster's new transfer feature. There's no way they can screw me over right? (like canceling the payment after they have the ticket)
    Yes. This is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by andymcdandy View Post
    Could not agree more. I loved '12 and '13, but this year is not for me.

Sadly, I'm in complete agreement here. '12 & '13 were fantastic, but this year? I just can't justify the time and cost with this lineup. Time to go scalp some EB tixs...

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by mvandonsel View Post
    I'm sure people will say I have bad taste in music, or whatever, but I am excited to see:

The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, DCfC, Ray LaMontagne, Haim, Chromeo, Chvrches, Capital Cities (YES!), Group Love, Jagwar Ma, and I'm sure I'll find some others in there. I just gave a listen to Nocona, they are really good, I'll probably add them to my list.

I do wish Muse was on there, I need to see them again. I hope that Amos Lee, Broken Bells, or Modest Mouse some how get added.

Amos Lee would be a nice add. Saw him when he was first up Sunday at Lands End back in 2010.

Even still, I think this year's lineup is beyond one or two nice adds.

Holy fuck, Bleachers is awful. I am sorry to say this because I have tried to have an open mind but so far the research I have done on what I am unfamiliar with on the undercard has yielded absolutely nothing. It is absolutely mediocre.

Lurker

Roboto & Shoegazer, you guys should have sex.

Rayland Baxter has opened/is opening for Kasey Musgroves, btw. If you can't stomach her don't even bother researching him.

so i will be traveling from ventura for yet another OSL and i could not be more excited. with such a festival-crazy society now we all have these huge expectations and every single year you let your "perfect lineup" taint the great lineup that is right in front of you. this has been mentioned over and over but the festival atmosphere is about discovering new music, good vibes, and getting drunk with your buddies and that is what i'll be doing again this year

I applaud ranger dave for another great list of musicians and another refreshing and original lineup that OSL is so great at bringing to GGP.

Well, if anyone here purchased an early bird ticket and has had a change of heart, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by That's Sir Honey Badger View Post
    Sadly, I'm in complete agreement here. '12 & '13 were fantastic, but this year? I just can't justify the time and cost with this lineup. Time to go scalp some EB tixs...
    I noticed some Stubhub prices have gone down a little bit (from $358 to now $347)...probably some people of the same opinion.

I'd expect that trend to continue.

This lineup doesn't even justify early bird prices, IMO.

If I wasn't going with someone I'd sell mine now, and maybe try for a one-day ticket when Tom Petty's playing.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post
    so i will be traveling from ventura for yet another OSL and i could not be more excited. with such a festival-crazy society now we all have these huge expectations and every single year you let your "perfect lineup" taint the great lineup that is right in front of you. this has been mentioned over and over but the festival atmosphere is about discovering new music, good vibes, and getting drunk with your buddies and that is what i'll be doing again this year

I applaud ranger dave for another great list of musicians and another refreshing and original lineup that OSL is so great at bringing to GGP.

Im sure some people here will have some thoughts on this comment. As someone though that is going, I love it!

Facebook is blowing up on how they don't want Kanye at OSL just like Roo. I am not going to let one artist that I don't like ruin a great festival. I will skip him. That means I leave early that way I can actually get into a bar after the show but mostly likely catch some subs and undercards I have never heard of...the best way to find new music.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post

Preach.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Holy fuck, Bleachers is awful. I am sorry to say this because I have tried to have an open mind but so far the research I have done on what I am unfamiliar with on the undercard has yielded absolutely nothing. It is absolutely mediocre.
    I thought Bleachers was the worst until I got to Watsky. WTF is going in that trainwreck.