Page 39 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2914

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

I like his music but his performance at Coachella was disappointing. I remember him mailing it in on a few songs not finishing lines of verses. Seemed to rely on the stage production to provide entertainment rather then putting effort working the crowd. Maybe it will be better now...

Nice job on the fake Notto. I bet it's at least 75% accurate. Hopefully there will be a few more added gems that we don't know about and we get a very solid lineup that compares to the past couple years. Because if those are the top three, it would be a step down from the recent headliners.

Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I like his music but his performance at Coachella was disappointing. I remember him mailing it in on a few songs not finishing lines of verses. Seemed to rely on the stage production to provide entertainment rather then putting effort working the crowd. Maybe it will be better now...

???? That show was incredible, some even said best of his career.

Why would ANYONE hate on a Tom Petty, Killers, and Kanye headliner trio?!? I saw someone on here say the killers couldn't headline... Ummmmmm they headlined Coachella like 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Nice job on the fake Notto. I bet it's at least 75% accurate. Hopefully there will be a few more added gems that we don't know about and we get a very solid lineup that compares to the past couple years. Because if those are the top three, it would be a step down from the recent headliners.
    Thanks! One thing I notice about OL every year is that they book some acts that aren't on the festival circuit or they book acts the year before they make their coachella debuts. The undercard was a lot harder to put together because tour dates don't say much for smaller bands, so yeah I'm sure there will be a few pleasant surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by TedsLounge View Post
    Why would ANYONE hate on a Tom Petty, Killers, and Kanye headliner trio?!? I saw someone on here say the killers couldn't headline... Ummmmmm they headlined Coachella like 5 years ago.
    To play Devil's Advocate, 1. a sizeable percentage of the OSL crowd don't listen to hip hop. 2. Tom Petty hasn't been relevant for thirty years and 3. The Killers were popular for about a month about five years ago and aren't very good. Especially that song about Hunter Thompson that nobody understands.

These aren't necessarily my views - I don't really go for the headliners for the most part - but I could quite see why Tom Petty< Neil Young, Kanye < anyone with a guitar and Killers < RHCP for some.

But this isn't the official lineup, so it could be way off the mark and this conversation will be moot.

Quote Originally Posted by nickntto View Post
    Thanks! One thing I notice about OL every year is that they book some acts that aren't on the festival circuit or they book acts the year before they make their coachella debuts. The undercard was a lot harder to put together because tour dates don't say much for smaller bands, so yeah I'm sure there will be a few pleasant surprises.
    If the final line up looks very similar to that, I would definitely reconsider going.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshkitchen90 View Post
    ???? That show was incredible, some even said best of his career.
    Yikes. My memory fails me. He did finish his lines but his flow and singing just didn't sound good to me live after the first 30 min. Also, he did try to work the crowd and was very active on stage. Maybe too hyped because I thought his breath control affected his performance overall. I'll give him credit for not using a hype man.

Didn't hate it but wasn't impressed which could also have been a result of seeing some very good sets that weekend already. There were a good amount of board members who did enjoy Kanye and I'm sure the crowd will be solid for him at OSL but if what I saw was considered one of his best performances, I'll pass. Maybe just not for me.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TedsLounge View Post
    I saw someone on here say the killers couldn't headline... Ummmmmm they headlined Coachella like 5 years ago.
    bands can drop down to from headliner status, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    ???
    Arctic Monkeys
    Staples Center
    August 7th

Wow. Can they really sell out Staples?

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Arctic Monkeys
    Staples Center
    August 7th
    Please let this mean they are playing OSL!
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

It means exactly that.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Yeah, you had an experience that was starkly different from most in the crowd I suspect. It was probably one of my five favorite shows ever, absolutely phenomenal. And there was almost no stage production, aside from the dancers and the opening bit on the crane...you sure you're thinking of Coachella? The fact that he did almost the entire show by himself - no major production or guest stars, aside from Justin Vernon - and carried it was a big part of why it worked so well for me.

Yikes. My memory fails me. He did finish his lines but his flow and singing just didn't sound good to me live after the first 30 min. Also, he did try to work the crowd and was very active on stage. Maybe too hyped because I thought his breath control affected his performance overall. I'll give him credit for not using a hype man.

Didn't hate it but wasn't impressed which could also have been a result of seeing some very good sets that weekend already. There were a good amount of board members who did enjoy Kanye and I'm sure the crowd will be solid for him at OSL but if what I saw was considered one of his best performances, I'll pass. Maybe just not for me.

I'm really glad we can disagree so cordially.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Yeah, you had an experience that was starkly different from most in the crowd I suspect. It was probably one of my five favorite shows ever, absolutely phenomenal. And there was almost no stage production, aside from the dancers and the opening bit on the crane...you sure you're thinking of Coachella? The fact that he did almost the entire show by himself - no major production or guest stars, aside from Justin Vernon - and carried it was a big part of why it worked so well for me.
    And I think the man is a huge ass. I was super high off of Dark Twisted Fantasty, (Still am) so I freaking loved it. The guy is a showman.

So happy the Arctic Monkeys show is Thursday. I can see them, then drive up to San Francisco on Friday morning and see them again. Their set in 2011 was great. The pit was insane and I couldn't breathe but they were amazing.

i think Arctic Monkeys are a lock. theyre playing LA and San Diego shows on the 6 and the 7th

Royksopp & Robyn, Panda Bear and Peaking Lights all out dueto SF shows.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    There were others who also shared the same sentiment but yeah I fall in the camp that thought Jay Z was better the year before. I've seen a lot of hip hop shows that were better. Still think Kanye's material is good just doesn't translate well live from what I saw. That being said, it could be different this time around. Wu Tang sucked when I saw them at Rock the Bells (07?) but was much better this last Coachella. Still will pass though unless there is bigger undercard then what is rumored.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...anye+West+2011
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 03-31-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It means exactly that.
    I can never tell if you're mocking me or not, but I'm going to assume since there isn't any 'dolt' or 'dumbass' in this quote - that you're not mocking me.

I saw Kanye at GovBall last year and wasn't exactly blown away but it was still a special performance. He debuted a lot of Yeezus material (which I love) and now that he has toured it a bit, I have no doubt that the mesh of that album, Graduation, MBDTF, 808s, GOOD Music, etc will make for a memorable set.

Maybe I have a soft spot for the Killers, but no way are they dropping down yet. Though the group has totally lost cred with indie fans, "Shot at the Night" is the featured tune for March Madness, they haven't totally dropped from relevancy.

That being said, I agree that there needs to be a 4th, more exclusive booking that causes a bit of a buzz. Bruce, David Byrne/Talking Heads, Clapton, Prince, would all accomplish this.
    www.yupstermusic.com

8/8-10: Outside Lands
    10/5: War On Drugs - The Fillmore
    10/8: Fink - The Independent

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    To play Devil's Advocate, 1. a sizeable percentage of the OSL crowd don't listen to hip hop.
    That's the thing, people who don't listen to hip hop still listen to Kanye West.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

To play Devil's Advocate, 1. a sizeable percentage of the OSL crowd don't listen to hip hop.
    That's the thing, people who don't listen to hip hop still listen to Kanye West.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    $7 beer will be back, but as $8 beer.

For me The Killers would be a nostalgic pick. Their first two albums came out when I was in HS and I fell in love with their 'desert-anthem' indie-rock sound. I haven't kept up with their most recent work, but I have little to no doubt that they are aware of the presence and appreciation of Hot Fuss and tailor their set-lists accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    I haven't kept up with their most recent work.
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinley View Post
    Yikes!
    Hahaha is it no good?

The crowds for jurassic 5 and big boi would suggest otherwise. OSL could definately use more hiphop. Theres definately a market for it too, Ill use rock the bells as a reference. If they bring in more hip hop, more hip hop fans will likely become a part of the demographic that goes to outsidelands
    Last edited by kfordham; 03-31-2014 at 12:46 PM.

A hip hop festival with dismal ticket sales and multiple city cancellations is an excellent reference.

11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore
    11/21: DJ Harvey @ PW
    11/24: mr. Gnome @ Bottom of the Hill
    11/25: DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist @ Fox Theater Oakland
    11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/4: Avi Buffalo @ Brick and Mortar
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/11: tUnE-yArDs, Cibo Matto @ Fox Theater Oakland
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar