Page 16 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Joshkitchen90 View Post
    Coachella should take a hint from that no repeat rule.
    I don't think so, Disclosure is one of the biggest hottest band in the world right now. I was fortunate enough to see them last year at Coachella before they got big. I feel sorry for all the people that will see them this year because it just wont be the same. kind of like when Daft Punk played back in the day. its a good thing I knew about them last year before almost everyone else.

you are soooooo fucking cool man
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Also the coolest time to know about Disclosure was in the Spring of 2011 when they released their first EP. Maybe early March 2012 when xlr8r featured them on the Bubblin' Up series, too. Maybe.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    It was my first time seeing Beck, actually, and I was underwhelmed. It has some moments but a lot of it fell flat. A few of my friends who have seen him many times shared my sentiments about his OSL performance...I'm hoping his Coachella performance is better.
    Agreed, my first time also seeing Beck and that was the most disappointing set for me of that weekend. Others I have spoken to about him who have seen him recently all have said the same thing that it was just flat. I've seen some YouTube videos of him that were great so maybe a new album is going to re-energize him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    Not that this is much but bassnectar can be ruled out due to tour dates
    All I found is that he's gonna be at the Shambhala Fest in Salmo, BC (just north of Washington state) August 8-11. That's only 1000 miles from SF and he hasn't played OSL since 2010. What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Modest Mouse just released some tour dates. No California date scheduled and Playing Osheaga 8/2

http://pitchfork.com/news/54314-mode...-spring-dates/

With Arctic Monkeys going from Osheaga to Summer Sonic on the weekends surrounding OSL I think this makes them a lock.

I was up against the barricade during Beck's set. He noticeably forgot the words to several parts of his most famous songs, and generally seemed not into his set at all. He also repeated many of the same covers and songs he did the last time he was at OSL. After it was over, the applause was very light, and the drummer flipped off the crowd and stormed off the stage.

Thought he was good the first time he was at OSL. He probably was having some kind of physical problems that kept him from performing well, but it was very disappointing.

Also the coolest time to know about Disclosure was in the Spring of 2011 when they released their first EP. Maybe early March 2012 when xlr8r featured them on the Bubblin' Up series, too. Maybe.
    hmmm, no....I'm pretty sure it was last.

I'm banking on Flume being one of the larger EDM acts.
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

I wasn't a fan of Beck's 2012 OSL set. He seemed really out of it. It was pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJJShabadooJr View Post
    I'm banking on Flume being one of the larger EDM acts.
    I'd be pretty happy with seeing Flume at OSL. I've been listening to his stuff a lot recently, finally starting to dig it.
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

i figured without thinking too hard that he would be there all three days. maybe that makes him likely

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Agreed, my first time also seeing Beck and that was the most disappointing set for me of that weekend. Others I have spoken to about him who have seen him recently all have said the same thing that it was just flat. I've seen some YouTube videos of him that were great so maybe a new album is going to re-energize him.
    Where were you? In our section everyone was dancing and singing and loving the show. He wasn't as cuddly as we've seen him in L.A., but it was a great set. I dunno. Maybe I'm high or just enjoyed the food and wine too much. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Where were you? In our section everyone was dancing and singing and loving the show. He wasn't as cuddly as we've seen him in L.A., but it was a great set.
    I must have been in your section

Quote Originally Posted by SidewaysHamburger View Post
    someone like The Avett Brothers there. wouldnt be as much of a clusterfuck as Phoenix and would be a nice opposite for the metal (soundgarden) or rap (kanye, eminem) act they'll have at Lands end
    Soundgarden are rumored to be playing with NIN at Shoreline this summer. I don't see them as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    I must have been in your section
    Have you ever thought a performance was lackluster, OSL or elsewhere?

Have you ever thought a performance was lackluster, OSL or elsewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    FRIDAY
    OUTKAST: Saw them in 2001 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Ludacris was opening for them supporting his first album. I wish I remembered it better but I don't have the best memory for shit that happened 13 years ago. I remember they played "Humble Mumble" which I'm sure they won't do at Coachella. I won't complain if they do. A+

BROKEN BELLS: Fonda in LA in 2010. I was (and still am) a big fan of their first album, and obviously that's what they played. They also covered "Crimson and Clover" and it was fantastic. B+

GIRL TALK: At Outside Lands in 2011 he had some Michael Jackson on his iPod and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. D

CHROMEO: Outside Lands 2010. My girlfriend and her girlfriends were into it and were dancing. Wasn't really my thing at the time and still isn't really either. Was only there for half the set. C

WAXAHATCHEE: Really early daytime set at FYF last year. I like her on the album but it was pretty snoozy in the moment for me. C-

WYE OAK: Casbah in San Diego 2011. Jenn can wail on the guitar and the dude plays drums and keys at the same time. It's been a while though. B

SATURDAY
    MUSE: Dude can sing and play the guitar. Can't argue with the quality of the show. Not really my thing though. B

MGMT: I was pretty fucked up in 2010 at Coachella and enjoyed "The Youth" and "Electric Feel" quite a bit. They were better at FYF last year. Oracular Spectacular is soo good I wish they were as interesting live. B-

EMPIRE OF THE SUN: Caught the end of them at OSL and fell into a perfect dance party. Tried to recreate it at Coachella the next year and couldn't quite. Still very entertaining, especially visually. "Swordfish Hotkiss Night" was a trip. Not a huge fan of the new album. C+

WASHED OUT: Pretty snoozy in 2011 opening for Cut Copy and much improved last year at FYF. I'm looking forward to hearing some of the Paracosm material again now that I've had much longer to familiarize myself with it. B-

FUTURE ISLANDS: One of my favorites right now. Lead singer is dramatic to say the least. A

DARKSIDE: Saw them a couple of months ago. Really cool how these two guys use their different styles to create some beautiful sounds. Some DARKSIDE Of The Moon vibes in there. Cool visuals. A-

FOXYGEN: These kids are such little punk assholes but I love their music. Dude broke his leg during a show a year ago while jumping off the stage and then they canceled their shows for the next six months. They're a year late to Coachella (IMO) and I haven't seen them in a year. I've heard they're hit-or-miss. When I saw them they were "hit." B+

SUNDAY
    ARCADE FIRE: Live shows don't get much better. Real pros. A+

BECK: I had two very different experiences. One in 1997 and again in 2012. I liked the 2012 show even though it lacked some energy, which everyone complains about. I'm hoping he surprises some of the naysayers this year. B+

CHANCE THE RAPPER: Big fan, but he's better on record. Not the most memorable live show. He just kinda did the songs when I saw him, nothing else. C

TROMBONE SHORTY: Saw him in 2009 and it was a fucking party. Put your dancing shoes on. A

SURFER BLOOD: Have seen them twice. Pretty good but they were upstaged by the other band that played that night both times. C+

POOLSIDE: Missed a good chunk of Kurt Vile to watch Poolside with my GF at FYF. They were smooth and I dug it. B+
    The Keg has.
    Last edited by zachsquatch; 03-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.

HA! That's funny, zachsquatch.

Last year I thought Wild Belle, The Men, The Growlers and Jurassic 5 were just okay or lackluster. of course I'm not as big of a fan of those groups' music as I am of Beck's, so he probably doesn't have to do as much to satisfy me.

I probably tend to post more on here about sets I liked rather than the ones I didn't care for as much, and maybe that's what you see, little blondie.

Bruce Springsteen * Kanye West * The Killers * Lionel Richie * Skrillex
    Avett Brothers * Arctic Monkeys * Kendrick Lamar * Disclosure
    Pixies * Cut Copy * Modest Mouse * Broken Bells * Lorde
    Grace Potter + Nocturnals * J. Cole * Ray Lamontagne * Chromeo
    Kool and the Gang * Iron and Wine * Amos Lee * Ben Howard * RJD2

Naked and Famous * Big Gigantic * Phantogram * Duck Sauce * Third Eye Blind
    Kate Nash * James Blake * The Hold Steady * Ozomatli * Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr * Grouplove
    Against Me! * Chance the Rapper * Band of Skulls * Generationals * Jason Isbell
    SZA * The Knocks * Sleeper Agent * Jhene Aiko * Anders Osbourne * DJ Snake * Glen Hansard
    Soul Rebels * Heartless Bastards * Lucius * Real Estate * Lake Street Dive * The Preatures * Typhoon
    Sol * Vintage Trouble * Diarrhea Planet * RAC * Gardens and Villas * Classixx * Moon Taxi
    Kongos * NO * Asgeir * Tumbleweed Wanderers * Shakey Graves * Bear Mountain
    Laidback Luke * St Paul and the Broken Bones * Waterstrider * Shannon + the Clams

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Here is an updated wishfully-realistic lineup from me. I have done a decent amount of fact checking to make sure there were no direct scheduling conflicts.

The headliners are a mystery to me. Since Bruce+Elton+Kanye+Skrillex seems too pricey, I dropped Elton. Interchangeable between him and Mr West.
    Last edited by zachsquatch; 03-11-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Skrillex was also at OSL in 2012, so I hope he isn't a repeat.

Skrillex was also at OSL in 2012, so I hope he isn't a repeat.
    He is the one exception I made. Trust me, I will stay far away from his set...I should probably trust OSL more than to think they'll book him again, but he was at Roo in 2012 as well and is now back. Seems like the repeat policy is different for EDM artists.

Quote Originally Posted by zachsquatch View Post
    Bruce Springsteen * Kanye West * The Killers * Skrillex * Lionel Richie
    Cut Copy * Modest Mouse * Broken Bells * J. Cole * Lorde
    Grace Potter + Nocturnals * Andrew Bird * Ray Lamontagne * Chromeo

Kate Nash * James Blake * The Hold Steady * Ozomatli * Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr * Grouplove
    City and Colour * Against Me! * Chance the Rapper * Band of Skulls * Generationals * Jason Isbell
    SZA * The Knocks * Sleeper Agent * Jhene Aiko * Anders Osbourne * DJ Snake * Glen Hansard
    Soul Rebels * Heartless Bastards * Lucius * Real Estate * Lake Street Dive * The Preatures * Typhoon
    Sol * Vintage Trouble * Diarrhea Planet * RAC * Gardens and Villas * Classixx * Moon Taxi
    Laidback Luke * St Paul and the Broken Bones * Waterstrider * Shannon + the Clams

Here is an updated wishfully-realistic lineup from me. I have done a decent amount of fact checking to make sure there were no direct scheduling conflicts.

The headliners are a mystery to me. Since Bruce+Elton+Kanye+Skrillex seems too pricey, I dropped Elton. Interchangeable between him and Mr West.
    I think Andrew Bird has played twice now.

It might be time for Amos Lee and the Avett Brothers to be back, but City and Colour was there two years ago.

He is the one exception I made. Trust me, I will stay far away from his set...I should probably trust OSL more than to think they'll book him again, but he was at Roo in 2012 as well and is now back. Seems like the repeat policy is different for EDM artists.
    WTF does Bonnaroo have to do with OSL? I understand that Superfly puts on OSL with APE but it just seems like people are just assuming "if it happens at bonnaroo it will happen at OSL."
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

since outside lands is less EDM oriented, i doubt they would have an EDM artist billed 4th

hoping hoping hoping pixies are billed fourth
    Last edited by acasey0; 03-11-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    WTF does Bonnaroo have to do with OSL? I understand that Superfly puts on OSL with APE but it just seems like people are just assuming "if it happens at bonnaroo it will happen at OSL."
    Because you are such a jerk about it, I won't outwardly admit that you are right.

I find myself likening the two because they appeal to very similar music fans. OSL is more like 'Roo, than either of them are like Lolla, Chella, Govball, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by acasey0 View Post
    since outside lands is less EDM oriented, i doubt they would have an EDM artist billed 4th

hoping hoping hoping pixies are billed fourth
    Not sure how high they'd be billed, but I added them to the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    I think Andrew Bird has played twice now.
    I am keeping him on there since he is playing 'Roo.
    Last edited by zachsquatch; 03-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Bruce Springsteen * Kanye West * The Killers * Lionel Richie * Skrillex
    Pixies * Cut Copy * Modest Mouse * Broken Bells * Lorde
    Grace Potter + Nocturnals * J. Cole * Ray Lamontagne * Chromeo

Against Me! * Chance the Rapper * Band of Skulls * Generationals * Jason Isbell

If these are our expectations for a lineup then I have the feeling we'll be extremely pleased... Not saying that it's bad, but OL will definitely surpass this.
    Also, I live extremely close the Concord Pavillion where Lionel Richie is playing in June... and I go to Outside Lands every year. If I wanted to see Lionel Richie, I could just go across the street. Also people from SF would definitely travel an extra 45 minutes to see him so I don't think he'll be on the lineup.
    Last edited by nickntto; 03-11-2014 at 04:57 PM.

typically outside lands bills the EDM acts they know will satisfy the masses. Deadmau5/Girl Talk Justice/Skrillex Pretty Lights/Kaskade. Skrillex just played and there are pleanty of cheaper options that would do the trick. Bassnectar/Hardwell

I was very happy that I saw the Beck night show at Bimbos, because that blew away his OSL show. actually ended up walking away from it.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

i was pretty close to the front i thought it was fine still left early for die antwoord