Page 11 of 98 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside Lands 2014

Default Re: Outside Lands 2014

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    True. Thankfully, my opinion doesn't include liking Billy Joel.
    And thankfully, there's not many people who care.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    That would be solid. He'd fit in the Fogerty slot.

Still think there's a solid shot at Billy Joel...he's got three Hollywood Bowl dates, nothign in Nor Cal, and a gap in August.
    I like the idea since he has done very few festivals in his career and he's come close retiring a couple times.

What looks like a schedule hole to you are in fact scheduled days off. A show every 5 days is a busy schedule by his standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Hey, look at you, you have an opinion that not everyone shares.
    Billy Joel is beyond the pale shit. It's not a matter of opinion, its about using your fucking ears. The only time I ever find myself using the N word is when I happen to get caught somewhere while his music is playing (usually at either Lowe's or Goodwill). Once I hear him sing one of his stupid embarrassing fucking lyrics from one of his stupid embarrassing fucking songs, I stare into whatever piece of PA equipment its coming from and groan a long and well earned '***** Pleeaaasseee'. I can '***** Please' my way all through Leningrad, that is one of the worst songs of all time. Why this asshole thinks he's some singing history lesson is beyond me. I walked out of my 11th grade social sciences class because the teacher thought it was necessary to play We Didn't Start the Fire and study the lyrics as if we could learn anything from it. I've given Glass Houses a try, it's a shitty unacceptable coke cutting surface of a record. I know what i'm talking about, Fuck Billy Joel. Keep his hokey ass out of San Francisco.
    Last edited by Grandma; 02-25-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Billy Joel is beyond the pale shit. It's not a matter of opinion, its about using your fucking ears. The only time I ever find myself using the N word is when I happen to get caught somewhere while his music is playing (usually at either Lowe's or Goodwill). Once I hear him sing one of his stupid embarrassing fucking lyrics from one of his stupid embarrassing fucking songs, I stare into whatever piece of PA equipment its coming from and groan a long and well earned '***** Pleeaaasseee'. I can '***** Please' my way all through Leningrad, that is one of the worst songs of all time. Why this asshole thinks he's some singing history lesson is beyond me. I walked out of my 11th grade social sciences class because the teacher thought it was necessary to play We Didn't Start the Fire and study the lyrics as if we could learn anything from it. I've given Glass Houses a try, it's a shitty unacceptable coke cutting surface of a record. I know what i'm talking about, Fuck Billy Joel. Keep his hokey ass out of San Francisco.
    Hey bro, tell us how you really feel.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

Grandma slow down before you give yourself a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

type us a rant you're the troll man

type us a rant tonight

well we're all in the mood for some jackassery

and you've got us feeling mad

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Grandma slow down before you give yourself a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack

I am going to derail this mindless bashing of the sweet saint Billy Joel and throw a couple more bands out there.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
    Lake Street Dive

http://www.gracepotter.com/shows/

Still waiting for the FMQB Triple A conference artists to come out. It happens in Boulder the same weekend as OSL and usually has ~5 artists that do both.

Currently Robert Plant is listed as a likely OSL candidate. Given he is playing in the UK on August 9th (the middle day of the fest), I think we can (sadly) assume he won't be playing. http://www.robertplant.com/#road

Santana is also on the first page, but he has show dates on the other side of the country on the 8th and 10th with Rod Stewart. https://tickets.santanafanclub.com/

Maybe there is something I am missing with Broken Bells, but wouldn't the fact that they are playing Squamish (which has the same exact dates as OSL) make them less likely? They also play Oakland in April.

Those dates do eliminate Robert Plant and Santana. The facts you listed about broken Bells make them more likely, not less. It means they are on the west coast during the fest and are playing an APE venue far enough in advance that a return trip 4 months later isn't out of the question. Typically you see quite a few OSL bands play the Fox and Independent in March and April.

old school

Broken Bells are playing Saturday at Squamish Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by wheat View Post
    Currently Robert Plant is listed as a likely OSL candidate. Given he is playing in the UK on August 9th (the middle day of the fest), I think we can (sadly) assume he won't be playing. http://www.robertplant.com/#road

Santana is also on the first page, but he has show dates on the other side of the country on the 8th and 10th with Rod Stewart. https://tickets.santanafanclub.com/
    Good job, wheat. First post updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I walked out of my 11th grade social sciences class because the teacher thought it was necessary to play We Didn't Start the Fire and study the lyrics as if we could learn anything from it. .
    My hero. Candidate for the worst song ever, now that I think of it.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I was saying boourns
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    My hero. Candidate for the worst song ever, now that I think of it.
    That's his "We Built This City."

Think we can officially rule out Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, which is a real shame, as they have two San Francisco dates in July. We can also rule out, on the same basis, probably whichever of Warpaint, Reggie Watts, Mark Lanegan, Nicole Atkins, Kurt Vile and Devendra Banhart is supporting them. Kurt Vile would also be ruled out on the basis he played last year - at his curmudgeonly best too.

Coldplay new album coming out in May possible headliner??

This pretty much nails it. He's one of the worst musicians of my lifetime. "We Didn't Start The Fire" was played over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over when I would go with my parent's to one of their friend's houses when I was younger. His voice sucks and so does his persona. Fuck Billy Joel.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by SavageHenry101 View Post
    Think we can officially rule out Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, which is a real shame, as they have two San Francisco dates in July. We can also rule out, on the same basis, probably whichever of Warpaint, Reggie Watts, Mark Lanegan, Nicole Atkins, Kurt Vile and Devendra Banhart is supporting them. Kurt Vile would also be ruled out on the basis he played last year - at his curmudgeonly best too.
    Mark Lanegan is supporting in SF. He was probably the least likely of the support acts to be booked anyway so it doesn't really take anyone out of play.

Luckily... Warpaint won't be playing the SF show with Nick Cave... so I still hope they'll make it to the festival.

who thinks The Gaslight Anthem or The Killers are a possibility?

I hope neither!

Quote Originally Posted by lanning13 View Post
    who thinks The Gaslight Anthem or The Killers are a possibility?
    Both have festival dates this year with gaps over OSL. The Killers released their "greatest hits" late last year and have never headlined, while Gaslight has a new album out in July.

I'd say that doesn't just make them possible, but it is likely that at least one of them will be on the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by zachsquatch View Post
    Pure speculation...but Steve Winwood is active this summer.

http://www.stevewinwood.com/events
    Winwood's off...just announced a date at The Fox June 26.

I think Outkast is looking more and more likely for Outside Lands.

They don't have anything booked yet for August 8-10.

Here is their up-to-date festival tour schedule:
    Apr 11: Coachella
    Apr 18: Coachella
    Apr 25-27: Counterpoint Festival (Kingston Downs, GA)
    May 2-4: Big Guava Festival (Tampa, FL)
    May 16-18: Hangout Festival (Gulf Shores, AL)
    May 23-25: Sasquatch Festival (George, WA)
    June 6-8: Governors Ball (New York, NY)
    June 15: Warsaw Orange Festival (Poland)
    June 19-22: Firefly Festival (Dover, DE)
    June 29: Summerfest (Milwaukee, WI)
    July 4-6: Wireless Festival (London/Manchester, UK)
    July 13: North Sea Jazz Festival (Netherlands)
    July 18-20: Forecastle Festival (Louisville, KY)
    Aug 3: OVO Festival (Toronto, ON)
    Sept 4-7: Bestival (Isle of Wright, UK)

Here are the other festivals going on at the same time as OSL (I bolded the ones that might be a possibility):

Oya Festival - Norway - lineup already out
    MEO Sudeste - Portugal - some of the lineup already out
    WE Fest - Minnesota - Country music festival
    Cambridge/Wilderness/Boomtown/Bloodstock - UK Festivals - they're already playing in the UK in July & September.
    Way Out West - Sweden - lineup already out
    Edmonton Folk - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - lineup already out
    Shambhala Festival - Nelson, BC (Canada) - lineup out March 15th
    Squamish Festival - Squamish, BC (Canada) - lineup already out
    Taubertal Fest - Germany - I don't know...?
    Regina Folk Fest - Saskatchewan, Canada - no lineup yet but I don't think they fit

I'm not sure how accurate I am on some of these, and I certainly may have left some stuff out, so anybody that knows other things about these festivals please weigh in. Paging Bumblebee...

Nice work, Iced.

I think the question is will Outkast head to Europe (Bestival) directly from the east coast (OVO in Toronto), or will they head west through the US in August (maybe Lolla, maybe other fests) before doubling back to get to Europe. But they are bouncing around to Europe and back in July so they don't have issues with travelling. It also still leaves the possibility of them doing Rock the Bells and not OSL as well.

I really hope they are at OSL, but they might legitimately be playing Chella and a bunch of upstart/smaller fests in the states (not including Summerfest) while skipping Roo, Lolla, and OSL. And that would be a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Nice work, Iced.

I think the question is will Outkast head to Europe (Bestival) directly from the east coast (OVO in Toronto), or will they head west through the US in August (maybe Lolla, maybe other fests) before doubling back to get to Europe. But they are bouncing around to Europe and back in July so they don't have issues with travelling. It also still leaves the possibility of them doing Rock the Bells and not OSL as well.
    They definitely don't have issues with bouncing to Europe and back this summer; New York one weekend, Poland the next, Delaware the weekend after that.

I think the fact that Big Boi has a relationship with OSL is a noteworthy. I also think he was fucking rad on Twin Peaks in 2012, but could it be too soon to bring Ms. Jackson back to GGP?

Rock The Bells SF is in Sept I think. When do we usually get a lineup for that? Probably after the OSL lineup announcement, right?

Lykke Li announced show at ACE LA on 5/19...
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJJShabadooJr View Post
    Lykke Li announced show at ACE LA on 5/19...
    I would die. Also, any chance Tune-Yards could be back after 2011? Been waiting so long to see both of these amazing women.

Tune-Yards Tour Dates:
    May
    5th - Masonic Lodge @ Hollywood Forever, Los Angeles, CA, US [Tickets]
    7th - Rough Trade, Brooklyn, NY, US [Tickets]
    12th - Village Underground, London, UK [Tickets]
    14th - Berghain, Berlin, Germany [Tickets]
    15th - Nochtspeicher, Hamburg, Germany [Tickets]
    16th - Les Nuits-Cirque Royal, Brussels, Belgium [Tickets]
    18th - Bitterzoet, Amsterdam, Holland [Tickets]
    19th - Café de La Danse, Paris, France [Tickets]
    23rd - Les Schwab Ampitheater, Bend, OR, US (w/ The National)
    23rd - 25th - Sasquatch Festival, George, WA, US
    31st - June 1st - Free Press Summerfest, Houston, TX, US

June
    18th - 22nd - NXNE, Massey Hall, Toronto, ON, Canada
    19th - 22nd - Firefly Festival, Dover, DE, US

July
    19th - Pitchfork Festival, Chicago, IL, US

Tune-yards is possibility, i'd say.
    Coachella - 2001, 2002, 2004, 2012, 2013 W1, 2014 W1
    ShowBAMS.com