Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Default Re: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    1968 Sweetheart of the Rodeo (with Gram Parsons) is the quintessential country-rock album.

Anything that considers itself alt-country these days has roots from this album.

It my favorite Byrds album.

Well, but The International Submarine Band had their album out at least around the same time as Sweetheart, and that's truly the first alt-country record. It's nowhere near as good as Sweetheart of the Rodeo, but hot damn if Gram didn't put one of his most perfect songs on that record. It's one of the few songs that, no matter how many times I hear it, I will never turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That said, as good as Sweetheart of the Rodeo is, The first Flying Burrito Bros. album, Gilded Palace of Sin, is 10X better. If you like country at its best, or rock mixed with country, or, honestly, good music, you should love the album. Released in 1969, it's going to be near the top of my list, as it's absolutely perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    That said, as good as Sweetheart of the Rodeo is, The first Flying Burrito Bros. album, Gilded Palace of Sin, is 10X better. If you like country at its best, or rock mixed with country, or, honestly, good music, you should love the album. Released in 1969, it's going to be near the top of my list, as it's absolutely perfect.
    No argument here.

BTW, most of this LP is on Farther Along, their "Best of" compilation.

I'm listening to The Gilded Palace of Sin and the Byrds never released something as incredible, or as poorly named, as Hot Burrito #1. That song is as spectacular and heartfelt as music gets.

Exactly.

I'm listening to The Gilded Palace of Sin and the Byrds never released something as incredible, or as poorly named, as Hot Burrito #1. That song is as spectacular and heartfelt as music gets.
    And Hot Burrito #2 is such a nice release for me afterwards, I love the vocals. The two songs are essentially a single unit for me, each rarely being played independently.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

I've still never heard of it. If you ever run into an extra copy I'd be more than happy to buy it off you.
    Basically the Jefferson Airplane went into the studio for their second album of 1967 and were given full creative control by their producer. As you may imagine, things got really weird really fast. No obvious hits, long suites of music and extended instrumental experimentations. It's a trippy, hard-rocky mess that's held together by the fact that it's really fucking good in most places. Released by RCA, it's major label record with no regard to popular taste or AM radio. One of the most daring & in-your-face rock records of the psychedelic era, certainly the wildest from a top-40 artist. It seems to me that a lot current psych bands rip this album off. Constantly.
    Last edited by greghead; 12-25-2013 at 01:20 AM.

I'd say so. You really need to check out Notorious Byrds Brothers. My personal favorite is Sweetheart of the Rodeo, but Notorious is so full of great songs, and Sweetheart has that country twang that will put many people off.
    If you've seen Easy Rider, you've heard half of Notorious Byrd Brothers...it's an interesting transitional album...the line-up dropped down from a quartet to just McGuinn and Chris Hillman by the time the recording sessions had ended...it's probably their most experimental and fractured record (despite having more of a song-suite structure), but there's a number of stunning, lesser know tracks.

Sweetheart Of The Rodeo is simply essential listening...you can hear country-rock being born in those vinyl grooves.

Turn, Turn, Turn, the band's quickie Mr. Tambourine Man follow up is imho, the band's weakest 60s effort...near identical in feel to MTM, but there's still some very nice stuff...as someone else posted here...there are few bands from the sixties that had better command of their harmonies.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

I'd agree with your opinion of Turn, Turn, Turn. It's not essential by any means.

Mr. Tambourine Man might be my favorite. Everything about it is pretty spot on. Did the Wrecking Crew play on that? I think so. And I always asterisk Sweetheart of the Rodeo simply because it's such an outlier both in lineup and style. It stands more to me as a proto-Burrito Brothers record. It's one of my favorites ever but I have a hard time reconciling it with the rest of their catalog and barely consider it a "Byrds" record.
    Last edited by greghead; 12-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Agreed with Sweetheart. I think of it as the best Gram Parsons album he didn't sing on.

I believe the Wrecking Crew was on Mr. Tambourine Man, the single, but otherwise the Byrds played on the album. As great as the Wrecking Crew was, The Byrds worked so well because of their weird chemistry. I think I have to throw my hat in the ring for Younger than Yesterday, as great as Mr. Tambourine Man is. The jangle on the first album is perfect, but the wider variety on Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrds Brothers kills me.

Agreed with Sweetheart. I think of it as the best Gram Parsons album he didn't sing on.

I believe the Wrecking Crew was on Mr. Tambourine Man, the single, but otherwise the Byrds played on the album. As great as the Wrecking Crew was, The Byrds worked so well because of their weird chemistry. I think I have to throw my hat in the ring for Younger than Yesterday, as great as Mr. Tambourine Man is. The jangle on the first album is perfect, but the wider variety on Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrds Brothers kills me.
    I thought Parsons at least sang on "You're Still on My Mind" and "Hickory Wind"? Maybe even "Life in Prison"? I celebrate the Byrds entire catalog, I can really get down on most of it. Depending on the day I could put either of those albums as my favorite.

And NOBODY interprets Dylan like McGuinn. He knows it, Dylan knows it. Leon Russell & Joan Baez come in right behind, but Roger McGuinn has Dylan figured out.

Younger Than Yesterday has a good shot at making my list. I don't know how well I know Fifth Dimension or The Notorious Byrd Brothers. I am on board with a part of Sweetheart... but there are several songs I can't stand ("The Christian Life", "I am a Pilgrim".)

This reminds me that Music from Big Pink might could make my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Oh man, I love "I Am a Pilgrim," one of my top five on the record. I agree with you on Christian Life, though.

I may be misremembering! I will plan to give it a once over in the coming months so we'll see how it goes.

Oh and just to be clear the Spotify playlist is a work in progress and is collaborative for a reason. I threw albums on there just to get this going. I plan to throw on plenty more over the coming months and hope other people add more albums, too. I just started a new (private) playlist of several albums from the master list to download to my WiFi only phone for easy listening.

It makes me happy to see a Gram Parsons conversation occurring that I did not instigate.

Hey Mitch, I need an extension to July 2, I can't get this done by June 30. Too much going on.

edit: also, if Music from Big Pink doesn't make most people's lists, y'all are idiots.
    Last edited by TomAz; 12-26-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

oh here's a thing: I have to do my homework but I am curious to see if Sgt Peppers makes my list at all. If it does I'm pretty sure it will be in the lower half.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Oh and just to be clear the Spotify playlist is a work in progress and is collaborative for a reason. I threw albums on there just to get this going. I plan to throw on plenty more over the coming months and hope other people add more albums, too. I just started a new (private) playlist of several albums from the master list to download to my WiFi only phone for easy listening.
    I would like to add Booker T & the MGs Green Onions, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, MC5 Kick Out the Jams, Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis, The Stooges, Miles Davis In a Silent Way, Songs of Leonard Cohen, King Crimson In The Court of the Crimson King, The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, and Johnny Cast At Folsom Prison for consideration, but I don't know how.

edit: I now see many of these were mentioned in previous posts. Sorry, I'm playing catchup.
    Last edited by TomAz; 12-26-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Also considering The Angry Young Them, but I need a ruling from Mitch: if UK and US-released versions are different, which counts? does it default to the artists' home country verson or can we specify that we're talking about one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    oh here's a thing: I have to do my homework but I am curious to see if Sgt Peppers makes my list at all. If it does I'm pretty sure it will be in the lower half.
    Sgt. Pepper's... would, at best, be my 4th-highest Beatles album. Maybe even 5th. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not as into it as many other Beatles fans are. Relative to the rest of their catalog, of course.

I would like to add Booker T & the MGs Green Onions, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, MC5 Kick Out the Jams, Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis, The Stooges, Miles Davis In a Silent Way, Songs of Leonard Cohen, King Crimson In The Court of the Crimson King, The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, and Johnny Cast At Folsom Prison for consideration, but I don't know how.
    Yes, these are all fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    I signed up to Spotify just for this.
    I did too, but can't figure out how to add to a collaborative list. Probably because there's no button that I can see that says "Add to playlist" or anything simple.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Sgt. Pepper's... would, at best, be my 4th-highest Beatles album. Maybe even 5th. I like it quite a bit, but I'm not as into it as many other Beatles fans are. Relative to the rest of their catalog, of course.
    It's aged worse than any of the other albums in the bands canonical Big 5 (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road). It's still a historic landmark from a production standpoint...but tune-wise, it's a donut album, opening and closing with fabulous 3 song suites but a big slog through some of their least impressive tunes in the long middle (though least impressive by Beatles standards is still pretty darn awesome).
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    It's aged worse than any of the other albums in the bands canonical Big 5 (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album, Abbey Road). It's still a historic landmark from a production standpoint...but tune-wise, it's a donut album, opening and closing with fabulous 3 song suites but a big slog through some of their least impressive tunes in the long middle (though least impressive by Beatles standards is still pretty darn awesome).
    Yes, well put. The stuff in the middle is just plain mediocre. By any standards.

edit: I now see many of these were mentioned in previous posts. Sorry, I'm playing catchup.
    Also considering The Angry Young Them, but I need a ruling from Mitch: if UK and US-released versions are different, which counts? does it default to the artists' home country verson or can we specify that we're talking about one or the other?

I added all of these that are on Spotify to the playlist. No dice on The Kinks, King Crimson or Them.

I'd say you specify which version you're talking about, but it seems like, in most instances, we'd be going with the home country version if that shows more of the artistic intent. Like, for example, if I felt like Revolver belonged on my list it'd be the UK version because Doctor Robert is an awesome song and it should never have been cut from the US version.

Once you are following a collaborative playlist it should work just like any other playlist. Drag and drop or right click and pick Add to... and then the playlist.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 12-26-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Haha

Yes okay.

I am assuming you don't want 'obvious' existing canon on your playlist? (Like, what would be the point of adding Highway 61 Revisited if everyone knows it already?) Am I assuming wrong?

Loving the Spotify Playlist

Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed should be on there, right?

As should about 5 Dylan albums. Hence my question to John about the intent of the playlist.

I did too, but can't figure out how to add to a collaborative list. Probably because there's no button that I can see that says "Add to playlist" or anything simple.
    Oh, good. So it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Once you are following a collaborative playlist it should work just like any other playlist. Drag and drop or right click and pick Add to... and then the playlist.
    On second thought, I'll listen first and wait to see if the more invested people have missed something. I'm using this project to revisit Velvet Underground, The Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. I haven't tried, but am looking forward to Flying Burrito Brothers and Fairport Convention.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

I think the playlist is useful if it makes it easier for people to listen to the music discussed and recommended in this thread. I selected and reordered the tracks from Françoise Hardy's 1962 debut out of a compilation; now everyone doesn't have to do that on their own. I couldn't find that Cromagnon album so I'm glad Bryan added it.

But I put Giant Steps and A Love Supreme on the playlist; I am in no place to criticize obvious choices. And some people will not have heard Highway 61 Revisited or Let It Bleed and more will want to listen to these albums so there is some value, which must be balanced against making the playlist long and unwieldy. (I like that you can filter/search a playlist on mobile but I don't see that option on the desktop version).

So if we're discussing an album (like Sweetheart on the Rodeo) it makes sense to put it up. But I am not going to/would not recommend putting "obvious" albums up there just to fill space. The playlist is now 35 hours long, with 499 tracks; I think there is enough of a base to get people started. Once we get, say, post-Coachella, though, I think even the obvious classics will be fair game.