Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Default Re: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Also something I hadn't realized: I am not sure what I am going to do about the Beatles. I have been mostly clean for coming up on three and a half years.

I may end up saying that I know the albums well enough to rank them without a reminder. There are only three albums that have any chance of the list anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Not in full...I'm a 60s junkie, but the Dead are straight up the only act from that decade I just can't gel with or own the bulk of their discography...but I'll give it a shot right now.
    A lot of folks associate the Dead's entire catalog with that endless noodling tie-dyed nightmare that became their cultural legacy from the late-70s onward. From 66 - 72 they were an incredibly solid and wildly inventive rock and roll band. Yes, songs on Live/Dead are long as fuck but there's no bombast or self-importance, it's a bunch of mildly talented musicians/friends coalescing into something much greater than the sum of its individual parts. But yeah, after Pig died they lost a lot of the spark that makes their 60s shit so engaging. I'm a huge fucking Deadhead. You put an old tape on a Casio boom box and I'll get down as hard as if I was at the show. Love the fucking Dead but, as Bryan said, their records will be nowhere near my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also something I hadn't realized: I am not sure what I am going to do about the Beatles. I have been mostly clean for coming up on three and a half years.

I may end up saying that I know the albums well enough to rank them without a reminder. There are only three albums that have any chance of the list anyway.
    I feel you, but I have no idea how I could create a 60s list without Rubber Soul on it.

There will definitely be a Grateful Dead album on my 70's list. I'm looking forward to when we do the 70's and later. I'll probably sit out this 60's project, as I haven't listened to enough 60's music to make it worthwhile and I don't know that I want to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    There will definitely be a Grateful Dead album on my 70's list. I'm looking forward to when we do the 70's and later. I'll probably sit out this 60's project, as I haven't listened to enough 60's music to make it worthwhile and I don't know that I want to catch up.
    You should hop on John's Spotify list. There's tons of stuff from the 60s that would blow your mind with how modern it sounds, and you'll have six months of our constant annoying geeking out to push you towards stuff.

Like I said on the last page, that Alexander 'Skip' Spence album, Oar, is basically the first Beck album. You should give it a spin. And the first King Crimson that IllinIQ put on his (her?) list was a huge influence on bands like Tool, Radiohead, Muse and other prog-indebted rock bands with some edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm going to listen to the recommendations on here that sound interesting, but I don't know that I could properly form a top 50 list from the decade. Even given the 6 months. I downloaded The Monks' album because what you said about it sounded interesting, so I'm looking forward to finally listening.

Also, if you're not familiar, Nick Drake had three albums, two from the 60s, and every single release is pure brilliance. Darkish folk with great vocals and really intimate sounds.

I love Nick Drake. Five Leaves Left would have a place on my 60's list. I think everyone should familiarize themselves with that and his two other albums. He has an interesting story, too.
    Last edited by HotHamWater; 12-23-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Oh yeah, my 70s list will definitely have some Dead on it. And Black Monk Time is such a crazy fucking good album. I dig it a lot, I think you may also.

Really? What 70s albums? Or did Workingman's Dead/American Beauty come out in the 70s?

American Beauty came out in 1970. That album is so damn good. I tell anybody who has ever told me they don't like The Grateful Dead to listen to it.

Snap, so did Workingman's Dead. That is my favorite Dead studio record. Dire Wolf is such a great song.

I have a feeling some folks in our general circle automatically dismiss The Grateful Dead because of the Deadhead/hippie/jammy labels, but that's a shame because their late 60's/early 70's output was excellent (as was pointed out earlier).

^Totally. They were a really, really good rock and roll band in that first decade.

John, great playlist...tried to add some stuff but I'm a Spotify luddite, so some other lesser remembered titles I'd consider adding for the youngsters on the board to peruse that I didn't include on my list.

Hollywood Dream - Thunderclap Newman
    Mott The Hoople
    Steppenwolf The Second
    As Safe As Yesterday Is - Humble Pie
    Love
    Da Capo - Love
    Fifth Dimension - The Byrds
    The Who Sell Out
    Spooky Two - Spooky Tooth
    Days Of Future Past - The Moody Blues
    The Circle Game - Tom Rush

It is a shame so many artists from this decade are out of the running given the singles lean of so many niches...basically most of Motown, Stax, Brill, all the '"als, les" singles bands (Animals, Turtles, Rascals, Hollies)...etc, etc.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

The Turtles had one great album, The Turtles Present The Battle of the Bands. Stax acts had a really strong record of album releases, from the first Booker T. and the MGs to the Otis Redding blazers to the first two Sam and Dave albums. King and Queen from Otis and Carla is all solid. Motown didn't really get into the album game until the end of the decade, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The Turtles had one great album, The Turtles Present The Battle of the Bands. Stax acts had a really strong record of album releases, from the first Booker T. and the MGs to the Otis Redding blazers to the first two Sam and Dave albums. King and Queen from Otis and Carla is all solid. Motown didn't really get into the album game until the end of the decade, sure.
    Correct on all points, especially Turtles and Motown.

And yeah, both Workingman's Dead and American Beauty came out in 1970. On the right day Europe 72 might make the cut as well.

I was inspired by this thread to listen to that Turtles album while I wrapped presents this afternoon. You Showed Me is such a cool song. I've heard it on the radio here a few times recently and was wondering who did it. Lo and behold, I have the record sitting in my room.

John, great playlist...tried to add some stuff but I'm a Spotify luddite, so some other lesser remembered titles I'd consider adding for the youngsters on the board to peruse that I didn't include on my list.

Mott The Hoople
    Steppenwolf The Second
    Love
    Da Capo - Love
    The Who Sell Out

It is a shame so many artists from this decade are out of the running given the singles lean of so many niches...basically most of Motown, Stax, Brill, all the '"als, les" singles bands (Animals, Turtles, Rascals, Hollies)...etc, etc.
    This is the stuff that makes me question the more "canon-worthy" list that you made. I definitely understand the impetus behind supporting that stuff, but at the same time, for me at least, those "huge" albums tend to lose some luster from over-exposure as compared to lesser-heard but equally great records. These are almost all interesting, less-known records that (at least the ones I know) are uniformly excellent. I hope six months of constant sixties-nerding out inspires some stuff like this to make it further into your top 50.

Listening to any early Byrds album also casts stark relief on so many of those "psych-harmony" bands like the Turtles, however. They just sounds so much better, more fully formed and impressive. Only the Zombies ever reached the heights of the Byrds in that particular style, and that was well after the Byrds themselves had abandoned the jangle and harmonize sound they popularized.

The Byrds, man. So good. Six different albums that could easily make this list.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

They will easily have one on my list, possibly three. My biggest problem with Turn Turn Turn and Fifth Dimension is that, while great, they have a few songs that shadow over everything else. However, honestly, Eight Miles High looms over much of the 60s. It's an impressively high bar they set.

I've listened to three The Byrds albums in my life. I've always enjoyed them, and I plan on listening to albums of theirs I haven't got to.

Which ones have you heard? The 70s releases are nowhere near as good as their 60s work, but they're still worth checking out if you're a fan. I like Preflyte for the historical placement of the songs.

I don't like to flood a thread, but hot damn this one has inspired me to go back and listen to some of my 60s records I'd ignored for a long time. Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum is so damn heavy and bluesy and gritty. It seems like their version of Summertime Blues is the one that most people know, but the rest of the album is just as crushingly great.

Mott The Hoople
    Steppenwolf The Second
    Love
    Da Capo - Love
    The Who Sell Out

I really enjoy the first couple Animals albums but I know what you mean.

And the lack of love around here for After Bathing at Baxter's is unacceptable. Tell me someone's mentioned it and I've simply missed it.

I've still never heard of it. If you ever run into an extra copy I'd be more than happy to buy it off you.

Which ones have you heard? The 70s releases are nowhere near as good as their 60s work, but they're still worth checking out if you're a fan. I like Preflyte for the historical placement of the songs.
    I've listened to Mr. Tambourine Man, Fifth Dimension, and Younger Than Yesterday. I never really thought to check out their 70's work, honestly, but I'll probably do that at some point.

I don't like to flood a thread, but hot damn this one has inspired me to go back and listen to some of my 60s records I'd ignored for a long time. Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum is so damn heavy and bluesy and gritty. It seems like their version of Summertime Blues is the one that most people know, but the rest of the album is just as crushingly great.
    Yeah, that Blue Cheer album is pretty good. Maybe I'm more qualified to do this than I originally thought?

I'd say so. You really need to check out Notorious Byrds Brothers. My personal favorite is Sweetheart of the Rodeo, but Notorious is so full of great songs, and Sweetheart has that country twang that will put many people off.

I've listened to Mr. Tambourine Man, Fifth Dimension, and Younger Than Yesterday. I never really thought to check out their 70's work, honestly, but I'll probably do that at some point.

1968 Sweetheart of the Rodeo (with Gram Parsons) is the quintessential country-rock album.

Anything that considers itself alt-country these days has roots from this album.

It my favorite Byrds album.