Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Default Re: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Let's talk jazz for a minute. I have a cursory knowledge of the major jazz releases of the period, but not a particularly deep background into any specific subgenres or under-the-radar releases. In addition to these albums, what else should I try to listen to:

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, A Love Supreme
    Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady
    Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
    Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
    Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Briefly, here are my issues with selecting jazz releases: 1) I don't have a particularly deep background in jazz, and feel I am only acquainted with the canon, which of course doesn't add much value to the voting; 2) apart from issue 1, I don't feel as if I have enough of a grasp of music theory to distinguish among lesser known or more avant garde releases with any real insight.

Bryan and John, I know you guys mentioned that you had some deeper jazz recs, I'd love to hear those. Also, I'd appreciate any insight as to how to handle more difficult jazz. Is it best to simply jump into deep water and try to figure out how to swim later, or it good idea to work through some more foundational and intermediate stuff first? If foundation is useful, what albums do you go to get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

A few recommendations that I really love:

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

Free Jazz was one of the two huge stylistic developments to come out of the 60s, and in its nascent form the term was applied to a wide array of styles, from Ornette Coleman's twin quartets soloing without charts and fighting rhythms to Cecil Taylor's cluster bomb piano explosions to Albert Ayler's bleating screeches. Ayler is the most "rock" of the early free jazz practitioners, with melodic (if raw) heads capping the furious soloing. Spiritual Unity has two takes of Ayler's signature tune, Ghosts, and the first version is amongst my favorite jazz tunes. It's just so vicious sounding.

Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come

Taylor plays piano like Jackson Pollock painted: violent bursts of piano dancing around and prodding rhythm and melody rather than fitting into them. It can sometimes be difficult listening, but if you give Taylor time his work can bloom into very powerful and intense pieces of work. This one is a good mid-point between the solo piano freakouts and the full band recordings that nod more to Ornette Coleman. Not easy, but good.

I'm a big fan of Coltrane's free-jazz albums, but they're particularly abrasive and harsh for the uninitiated. If you feel like jumping into that field though, check out Ascension, his first real free album. There are moments of more conventional soloing that pop out of the maelstrom, but they get pretty out.

Sun Ra - Atlantis

Sun Ra has a huge discography and covered a wide array of sounds throughout the years. His most influential and widely-heard period really started with this record, which finds Ra using an electric keyboard for a set of short, sparse tracks heavily accenting their congo rhythms. These tracks were influential in the development of hard funk and jazz funk. The second half is a long song featuring the whole Sun Ra Arkestra, his big band. They do their version of free jazz, dubbed space jazz. There's more melody and the rhythms, when there, are insistent. A killer record.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Bryan recommends some amazing albums.

I would lean towards Meditations for late era Coltrane, which is an album of Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders soloing at each other. And I would go for Unit Structures for Taylor but I don't actually know his Nefertiti, though it is already on playlists to listen to. Also Bitches Brew was released in 1970. His best record of the 60s to my ears is Miles Smiles.

As to those ears, mine are largely untrained. I find highly recommended records and listen and see if I like them. Giving them a lot of attention, seeing what the songs/records do for me on an emotional level. There is a lot of technical details and references that are largely lost on me.

I have been working to know more of those references by listening to older jazz (Louis, Dizzy, Bird and Duke). And the GAS that many jazz standards are working from. So, really, my answer is to listen to more jazz.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I haven't listened to that in probably five or six years. Looking forward to playing it now!

Not sure if I've ever actually put it on front to back, but every song I've heard from that has been spectacular.
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Put it on front to back. I'm just coming to the end and it's a great experience that I'd mostly forgotten. Tony Williams, Bobby Hutcherson and Richard Davis are the most insane rhythm section, making complex yet funky grooves that get really out there and weird while still moving.

I've been digging heavily back into Neil Young. As much as I love Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (and it'll probably be in my top 5 for the decade) it's not in my top five for his career, and can we please get to the 70s so I can just obsess about Neil for awhile.

Oh, and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Mingus is potentially the most excellent and fully developed jazz album of the 60s, no matter how great some artists got.* The expansion that happens throughout the album, the tension between melody and experimentation, and the rhythmic vitality of it all makes it a huge classic.

*Miles peaked in the 70s. Coltrane, Rollins and Dolphy have some argument here, as does Ornette, but I think this one has a comfortable seat atop the throne.

It is very possibly my favorite jazz album. I love the orchestral color, I love the result of all that tension between control and wild abandon.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

What does the winner get?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I came here to say that anyone who doesn't know the first album by Moby Grape really needs to rectify that situation. It's not on Spotify, but you can find a bad youtube rip fairly easily I'm sure. I know I've already raved over them in here, but that album is just goddamn perfect.

I'm also willing to admit my mistakes, including the fact that, for over a decade, I've written off Sketches of Spain as boring and underdeveloped. I found it for reasonably cheap on vinyl recently, and dear god that album is so full of great melody, performance and tension. It sounds, at times, like Talk Talk before Talk Talk were even a glimmer of an idea. And that's weird, spacious Talk Talk, not Talk Duran Talk Duran.

My goal, before our reviews for this are due, is to listen critically to each of my 60s records at least once. I know many of them like the back of my hand, but I'm going to go through each one, give it a full spin and then give it a 1-10 ranking to help me build my list. First up: Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    A few recommendations that I really love:

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

Free Jazz was one of the two huge stylistic developments to come out of the 60s, and in its nascent form the term was applied to a wide array of styles, from Ornette Coleman's twin quartets soloing without charts and fighting rhythms to Cecil Taylor's cluster bomb piano explosions to Albert Ayler's bleating screeches. Ayler is the most "rock" of the early free jazz practitioners, with melodic (if raw) heads capping the furious soloing. Spiritual Unity has two takes of Ayler's signature tune, Ghosts, and the first version is amongst my favorite jazz tunes. It's just so vicious sounding.

Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come

Taylor plays piano like Jackson Pollock painted: violent bursts of piano dancing around and prodding rhythm and melody rather than fitting into them. It can sometimes be difficult listening, but if you give Taylor time his work can bloom into very powerful and intense pieces of work. This one is a good mid-point between the solo piano freakouts and the full band recordings that nod more to Ornette Coleman. Not easy, but good.

I'm a big fan of Coltrane's free-jazz albums, but they're particularly abrasive and harsh for the uninitiated. If you feel like jumping into that field though, check out Ascension, his first real free album. There are moments of more conventional soloing that pop out of the maelstrom, but they get pretty out.

Sun Ra - Atlantis

Sun Ra has a huge discography and covered a wide array of sounds throughout the years. His most influential and widely-heard period really started with this record, which finds Ra using an electric keyboard for a set of short, sparse tracks heavily accenting their congo rhythms. These tracks were influential in the development of hard funk and jazz funk. The second half is a long song featuring the whole Sun Ra Arkestra, his big band. They do their version of free jazz, dubbed space jazz. There's more melody and the rhythms, when there, are insistent. A killer record.
    To these records I would also add this post-Coltrane masterpiece from Pharoah Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

And Mitch, have you explored Art Blakey's 60s catalog at all? The man was nothing if not prolific & brilliant in his output. Freedom Rider, Caravan, Ugetsu, Indestructible, and 'S Make It are all deserving of a critical listen, and that's just the cream of his 60s work as a bandleader. There are probably another dozen 3-star records that are certainly worth checking out when the mood hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Are we extending time a little bit, or have people turned in ballots? Is anyone still paying attention to this? I really want to get to the 70s.

I think Mitch should have started with the 70's or 80's to drum up a little more interest.

Let's extend this through the end of July. I've had a crazy two months, myself.

Get those lists in and we can get to the 70s.

I haven't been working on a list and won't be submitting, but I just wanted to give a vote of encouragement to those who are. Definitely people interested who aren't necessarily participating.
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Jesus... I'd love to participate. Gotta get my shit together.

Some 60s jazz:

Hank Mobley - Soul Station (1960)
    Art Blakey - Caravan (1962)
    Bill Evans and Jim Hall - Undercurrent (1962)
    Jackie Mclean - Destination Out! (1963) [honestly Jackie has a ton of great albums in the 60s]
    Horace Silver - Song for My Father (1964)