Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Default Re: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

I really love Richard Thompson but I have spent like zero time with any of his Fairport Convention stuff. I need to listen to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    And some people will not have heard Highway 61 Revisited
    This seems so odd to me. It's like saying some children will not have read The Cat in the Hat.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Flying Burrito Brothers didn't do it for me. I had to cut it off at "Dark End of the Street." I'll come back to it, though.

I've now added James Carr's You Got My Mind Messed Up to the playlist. Carr is the original performer of "Dark End of the Street." This album is straightforward soul music; that being said, it's a flawless album and a great representation of the era.

edit: I must also acknowledge the amazing studio band that backs Carr. The horns generally draw the most attention, but after a closer listen, the understated organ on "I'm Going for Myself" and the exceptional guitar work on "She's Better Than You" just blow me away.
    Last edited by zenidogx; 12-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

What happened to your soul? Hey, your ears? The Flying Burrito Bros. first album is so close to perfection, and you didn't get to the song that's kind of blah. You also didn't get to Hot Burrito #1 and #2. Cosmic America indeed.

Tom, the best Richard Thompson album for Fairport is Full House. I prefer Liege and Lief for the whole band, but Thompson shines the brightest on Full House. Probably because Sandy Denny was no longer there, so her voice didn't take over every song.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Flying Burrito Brothers didn't do it for me. I had to cut it off at "Dark End of the Street." I'll come back to it, though.
    I encourage you to do so. Also, you can read this if you're interested: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...=1#post2580108

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What happened to your soul? Hey, your ears? The Flying Burrito Bros. first album is so close to perfection, and you didn't get to the song that's kind of blah. You also didn't get to Hot Burrito #1 and #2. Cosmic America indeed.

Tom, the best Richard Thompson album for Fairport is Full House. I prefer Liege and Lief for the whole band, but Thompson shines the brightest on Full House. Probably because Sandy Denny was no longer there, so her voice didn't take over every song.
    Unhalfbricking is pretty fantastic as well...forget the year of release, probably early 70s...has a wonderful cover of Dylan's Million Dollar Bash and the original version (me thinks) of Who Knows Where The Time Goes, one of my favorite folk ballads of all time.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

wake me when you get to the 80s.

only 60s bands I can stomach are Mamas and the Papas, The Doors, The Beatles and The Velvet Underground (unless The Stooges count).
    Last edited by kvnty; 12-27-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Unhalfbricking is pretty fantastic as well...forget the year of release, probably early 70s...has a wonderful cover of Dylan's Million Dollar Bash and the original version (me thinks) of Who Knows Where The Time Goes, one of my favorite folk ballads of all time.
    Unhalfbricking was in 68 I believe. Sandy Denny was in the band for that one and it's excellent as well.

I'm a few pages behind, but I second the love for Jethro Tull's Stand Up. I saw them in San Diego in '99, mainly familiar with their hits at that point, and was pretty put off because the majority of the show was material from Stand Up and their awful new album at the time J-Tull Dot Com. I did go back and listen to Stand Up quite a bit afterwards and it is a really good record.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    wake me when you get to the 80s.
    nighty night.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I would like to add Booker T & the MGs Green Onions, The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators, MC5 Kick Out the Jams, Dusty Springfield Dusty in Memphis, The Stooges, Miles Davis In a Silent Way, Songs of Leonard Cohen, King Crimson In The Court of the Crimson King, The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, and Johnny Cast At Folsom Prison for consideration, but I don't know how.
    Why stop with Village Green? Face to Face & Something Else should absolutely be on that list if not already. Village Green is good, but I think those two albums in particular show what the Kinks were about thematically & musically.

Yes, well put. The stuff in the middle is just plain mediocre. By any standards.
    I firmly stand by Lovely Rita, but the rest hasn't held up well at all.
    Last edited by greghead; 12-27-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Sorry, I just figured out how to add Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet before I read John's last post on last page.

They're up.
    Last edited by santasutt; 12-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Why stop with Village Green? Face to Face & Something Else should absolutely be on that list if not already. Village Green is good, but I think those two albums in particular show what the Kinks were about thematically & musically.
    All three are fantastic, and agree that this three album run best defines what makes the Kinks the special chroniclers of Working/Middle Class British Life that they were.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

I confess I am not crazy about The Kinks. They have a few songs I like, but I listened to one of their 'hits' albums and did not feel like going further into their catalog.

Same thing with Sweetheart of the Rodeo - nothing on there made me think it was a masterpiece, though I have always had trouble with country rock-type bands (not a big Wilco fan either).

I haven't heard anything by The Flying Burrito Brothers, I'll have to check that out.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    All three are fantastic, and agree that this three album run best defines what makes the Kinks the special chroniclers of Working/Middle Class British Life that they were.
    Their run of great albums didn't stop there though. They put out Arthur, Lola vs. The Powerman and Muswell Hillbillies right afterwards, and all of those are excellent releases as well.

I'll wait for IcedKeg to translate this thread.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Their run of great albums didn't stop there though. They put out Arthur, Lola vs. The Powerman and Muswell Hillbillies right afterwards, and all of those are excellent releases as well.
    Agreed on Arthur but I've never been able to get into Lola vs. Powerman. Compared to the preceding albums it feels like a slog through unremarkable demos everytime I play it.

Arthur is my favorite album by the Kinks.

Also an update on Sweetheart of the Rodeo: my copy of that album on my iPod (which has gotten a lot less use with the take over of Spotify) has eight songs, skipping "I Am a Pilgrim", "The Christian Life" and "Hickory Wind".

I am currently listening to Blonde on Blonde. It has been a while. Oh my the best songs on this album are among my all-time favorites. "Visions of Johanna" followed by "One Of Us Must Know" is just unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later) is such a knockout.

Blonde on Blonde is my favorite Dylan.

I see Birthday Blues by Bert Jansch was added to the playlist. Never heard this before and I am instantly digging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Arthur is my favorite album by the Kinks.

Also an update on Sweetheart of the Rodeo: my copy of that album on my iPod (which has gotten a lot less use with the take over of Spotify) has eight songs, skipping "I Am a Pilgrim", "The Christian Life" and "Hickory Wind".

I am currently listening to Blonde on Blonde. It has been a while. Oh my the best songs on this album are among my all-time favorites. "Visions of Johanna" followed by "One Of Us Must Know" is just unfair.
    Hickory Wind is essential for me.

And Visions of Johanna is my favorite song on that record. That first line might be my favorite Dylan lyric ever.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Blonde on Blonde is my favorite Dylan.

I see Birthday Blues by Bert Jansch was added to the playlist. Never heard this before and I am instantly digging it.
    I love it, too...but have always felt the production on that album is a step down from the brighter, less muddy tones on Back Home and Highway 61...and in the end, Desolation Row for me is just so much >>>>>> than Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands as an extended closer...so Highway 61 has always gotten the nod from me.

But again, both are among the greatest early rock albums ever made.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 12-29-2013 at 02:37 PM.

I put on Blonde on Blonde last night as well. I think I may move it ahead of Highway 61 Revisted on my list, and certainly into my top 5. Just too many good songs, and all capped off by an epic that truly deserves the name.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Also considering The Angry Young Them, but I need a ruling from Mitch: if UK and US-released versions are different, which counts? does it default to the artists' home country verson or can we specify that we're talking about one or the other?
    Let's say date of first release is date where it was first released commercially, whether at home or abroad.

In the event that there are substantial differences between a domestic and foreign release of the same album, and you greatly prefer one to the other, go with the year in which the version you prefer was released.

I'll work on firming up the "rules" more after the first of the year.

Also, we can probably make this due after the 4th of July if that's easier.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Hickory Wind is essential for me.

And Visions of Johanna is my favorite song on that record. That first line might be my favorite Dylan lyric ever.
    Hickory Wind is essential for me as well. I can't imagine why anyone would skip that.

and while "Visions of Johanna" is better poetry, I think "One Of Us Must Know" is better rock n roll. for what that's worth.

Also, Highway 61 is my favorite Dylan album. It's one of those perfect records.

Just catching up here. My list is going to include a bunch of Motown, but as a couple of people mentioned on the first page, it's a little tricky because those artists aren't really associated with their album work the way classic rockers are, and many of the albums are just collections of covers. Anyway, these won't necessarily make my list, but here are a few Motown albums to consider:

Hi... We're The Miracles - The Miracles
    Mostly notable for being the first Motown album and lays the groundwork for later success. "Has Shop Around" and "Money" on it.

Please Mr. Postman - The Marvelettes
    "Please Mr. Postman" (Motown's first #1) and "All the Love I've Got"

The Jazz Soul of Little Stevie - Little Stevie Wonder

That Stubborn Kinda Fellow - Marvin Gaye
    "Stubborn Kind of Fellow," "Hitch Hike," "Get My Hands on Some Lovin"

Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes
    This album is amazing, including a few classic HDH tracks. Singles were: "A Breathtaking Guy" "When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" "Run, Run, Run" "Where Did Our Love Go" "Baby Love" "Come See About Me"

More Hits by The Supremes - The Supremes
    "Stop! In the Name of Love," "Back in My Arms Again", "Nothing but Heartaches".

Dance Party - Martha and the Vandellas
    "Dancing in the Street," "Nowhere to Run," "Motoring"

Going to a Go-Go -Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
    "Ooo Baby Baby", "The Tracks of My Tears", "Going to a Go-Go"

Gettin' Ready - The Temptations
    "Get Ready," "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and the original version of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby"

Moods of Marvin Gaye - Marvin Gaye
    "I'll Be Doggone" and "Ain't That Peculiar"

I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
    Gaye's breakthrough album.

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

and while "Visions of Johanna" is better poetry, I think "One Of Us Must Know" is better rock n roll. for what that's worth.
    Definitely! Which is what makes it such a great 1-2 punch for me. And totally agree about Highway 61 being a flawless album. That there are people out there who have never heard this record truly boggles my mind.

I would be shocked if S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things didn't find its way on my list.

I may have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I just added Balaklava, the second album from Pearls Before Swine, to the collaborative Spotify playlist. It's a truly bizarre, psychedelic and great folk album that has so much going on within it that I could listen to it time after time and find new little nuances. It's odd, sometimes abrasive, full of weird instrumentation and weird songcraft, and yet it works so well as a whole. I think any Neutral Milk Hotel fans would be well-advised to listen to the record. There's also a good and straightforward cover of Suzanne by Leonard Cohen. I found this one back in college and it's never left my iPod/stereo/turntable since. Just a great, bizarre little record.