Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

Hybrid View

Default The Decades List Project: The 1960s

A film site that I used to post on had a great feature where members would periodically participate in a discussion and ranking of the best films by decade. The idea is simple and not far off from a lot of the threads that we have here: the forum holds an open thread to discuss the films of the decade for a six month period, people put together a ranking of their favorite 50 films from that decade, and at the end, the results are tabulated into a consensus ranking.

I thought that something similar might be a lot of fun here. First, everyone likes making and arguing about lists. More importantly, there is a lot of wisdom around here, particularly as regards older albums and genres. This thread, for example, is a trove of excellent write-ups by board members. It really is this board at its best. A list project would be a chance to expand or refer back to that work and the stuff in other threads and to hopefully expose each other to "new" old music.

If you are interested in participating, I've come up with some provisional rules below. I am welcome to the idea of amending them as people suggest before this really gets rolling. To start off, it probably makes the most sense to start in the 1960s when the album rock era really took off for the first time. If the project goes on long enough, we can circle back to pre 1960s albums (or even singles) later. If this is a success, we can do the 1970s in the second half of 2014, and so on.

The rules:

BALLOTS ARE DUE BY THE END OF THE DAY JUNE 30, 2014

Please PM me your list of what you believe are the top 50 albums from the 1960s toward the end of the project. You may feel that you could compile a list of 50 favorite albums from this period much earlier than the deadline, but it's still highly recommended that you engage in the discussions here.

THE RULES

1) Each individual list is to comprise no more or less than 50 albums, ranked in your order of preference (with no ties). If you haven't yet heard 50 albums from the decade that you think are genuinely great (or even if you have), please take advantage of the resources in this thread and participate in the ongoing discussions to find albums that you can be proud to put on your list.

2) Any album, EP, or live album commercially released during the 1960s (1960-1969) is eligible. Singles are not eligible.

3) The date given on www.discogs.com is the relevant date for determining an album's year of release, even when it's clearly wrong (or unless a special case is made in the thread). If the album is not on discogs, and you say it was released during the 1960s, I'll take your word for it. For our purposes, if an album was recorded during the 1960s, but was not first released commercially until after the decade had ended, the album does not qualify for the list. (Example: The Basement Tapes is a 1970s release, The Smile Sessions is a 2010s release, etc.)

4) Please avoid listing any unofficial bootlegs.

5) Please avoid listing compilation or greatest hits albums, unless the compilation consists primarily of non-album singles, b-sides, or miscellany.

6) A #1 placement for a album on an individual list gives that album 50 points. A #2 placement gives that album 49 points, etc.

7) Albums receiving a vote from only one individual (aka “orphans”) are discarded.

8) The 100 albums with the most points make the final list. Albums with the same point totals tie. If the 100th highest ranked album is tied with other albums, the final list will include all albums tied with it.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 12-16-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Default Re: The Decades List Project: The 1960s

I definitely like this idea. We had something kind of similar going on for awhile that Patrick started, but I think the board could craft an interesting list and get some good discussion going on.

Like, for example: everyone should go listen to the first Moby Grape album and have your mind blown. It's incredible how many great songwriters they got together, and everything gelled perfectly on that album.

Last edited by bmack86; 12-16-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Great idea Mitch, and totally agreed Bryan. This should be awesome.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm not sure how I feel about rule 7. I guess its possible to convince people that potential orphaned albums are good enough for them to be included, but like, if I thought that Cromagnon - Orgasm was such a successful experiment and many years ahead of its time in producing noise rock and total insanity but nobody else was sold on it, I'd want it to still be considered. It probably won't wind up being an issue as most of these sorts of albums wouldn't wind up at the top of anyone's lists, but if a top 10 album isn't on anyone else's list I feel like it should still be considered. That way something that at least one person finds to be utterly essential wouldn't be discarded because others either dislike it or (more likely with albums receiving only one vote) aren't familiar.

So hey, everyone go listen to Cromagnon. It wouldn't wind up in my top 50, but it's pretty stunning that something so fucked came out in the 60s.
    Last edited by bmack86; 12-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Also, as people are making recommendations, feel free to group stuff that you think people may have a hard time locating on their own.

I think we can revisit 7; if we have enough people participating, the consensus aspect tends to work itself out naturally, anyway.

I'm updating my first two posts with links to the albums on Spotify. Seems like a vast majority of the albums people haven't heard will probably be on there. But apparently they don't have Moby Grape. Lame.

Cool idea Mitch; it reminds me a bit of "The 52 Year Project" What did.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

http://open.spotify.com/album/7K6JtyaSSVr7HidQsCHun0

I hope to learn a bunch from this thread.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

That Zombies album is pure perfection from front to back. One of the best things I own. It belongs in every discerning rock fan's list of best albums from the 60s.

I was inspired by this thread to jump through a few classics that I'd not heard in quite awhile. The Moray Eel Eats the Holy Modal Rounders by Holy Modal Rounders is one of the most bizarre and goofy old-timey-style folk records ever released. It's tempting to call the band jokesters, but they have too serious a grounding in the Greenwich village folk scene to be seen as solely goof-offs. The performances on the album are consistently entertaining, but there's always an aura of weirdness to it.

And one of my favorites is playing right now: Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention. They had previously worked as something of a psychedelic folk outfit from England playing largely in the style of American folk acts. The previous album, Unhalfbricking, saw them finding their own sound, especially with Richard Thompson's incredibly skilled guitar playing and Sandy Denny's powerful voice. On Liege and Lief they came into their own, mixing psych with English folk songs to create a great whole. Listen to Matty Groves and tell me these guys weren't killer. Sandy Denny was also the only guest vocalist to ever perform with Led Zeppellin.
    Last edited by bmack86; 12-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I think one of the most essential albums from the 1960s has to be Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. It was released in 1969 and was his first album with Crazy Horse. Considering how much good music Neil has given us over the years, I still consider this album to be in the Top 3 of his entire catalogue.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

I don't know if I'd agree with you regarding its placement in his catalog, but that speaks largely to the fact that he's got an incredible amount of great music under his belt. It's certainly in the upper tier of his releases at very least. That said, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is a complete and total success. Every song is great, it has a few of his all-time classics, and the playing is just so raw and rough. It doesn't really sound like anything else from that era whatsoever, in such a great way.

Part of my reason for putting it so high was in part because it was the first thing by him I ever heard and it's the album that got me to explore the rest of his catalogue.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Part of my reason for putting it so high was in part because it was the first thing by him I ever heard and it's the album that got me to explore the rest of his catalogue.
    I really love Neil's extended jammy songs, and there weren't too many better songs in that vein he made after Down by the River and especially Cowgirl in the Sand. If I had to do a ranking (and because I don't feel like getting into a long discussion in that other bumped thread) I'd probably put my top Neil as something like this:

1. On the Beach
    2. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    3. Harvest
    4. After the Gold Rush
    5. Tonight's the Night
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'll probably have Everybody Knows This is Nowhere and at least the second Buffalo Springfield album on my list.

I like Buffalo Springfield Again every bit as much as Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. That album is so full of high notes that it pretty neatly overshadows the rest of their very good career. Jam after jam after jam. You know you're in for it when they start the album with Mr. Soul.

When I saw them a few years ago Bluebird was easily the highlight of the set.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Well, except for arguably his best long jam, Cortez the Killer. The Last Dance, Like a Hurricane and Walk Like a Giant are likewise spectacular and at the top of jamtown.

1. Rust Never Sleeps
    2. On the Beach
    3. After the Goldrush
    4. Tonight's the Night
    5. Everybody Knows/Ragged Glory/Time Fades Away

I really hope the Beatles/Stones squad doesn't fuck this up. Both bands put out great releases, but the 60s were so full of fantastic albums that it'd be a shame to see the top ten be Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, Let it Bleed, Abbey Road, (one of the three best Dylan albums), a few others from thos bands.

And prepare y'alls selves. I'm gonna dig through my jazz records and CDs and pull out the stops when I have some time. Some seriously great jazz records came out in the 60s, not just A Love Supreme and Bitches Brew.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I really hope the Beatles/Stones squad doesn't fuck this up. Both bands put out great releases, but the 60s were so full of fantastic albums that it'd be a shame to see the top ten be Sgt. Peppers, Revolver, Let it Bleed, Abbey Road, (one of the three best Dylan albums), a few others from thos bands.

And prepare y'alls selves. I'm gonna dig through my jazz records and CDs and pull out the stops when I have some time. Some seriously great jazz records came out in the 60s, not just A Love Supreme and Bitches Brew.
    It's funny you mention that. I just typed this in and this was the result.

August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    It's funny you mention that. I just typed this in and this was the result.

And isn't that just boring? I mean, I love those albums, every single one, but personally I can think of at least 50 things that are comparably thrilling and that I listen to more from the 60s.

I'm excited to get a chance to tell people why their music opinions and tastes are completely invalid.

I'm sure the first three Velvet Underground records are going to be placed pretty high on this.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

This got me all excited and I want to throw out a ton of recommendations right away, but I feel like I'm gonna overload people with stuff on the first day. More in depth statements reserved for later, but punk fans need to listen to The Monks - Black Monk Time.

I have two big problems when analyzing the '60s. The first is the one Bryan just alluded to -- Pet Sounds, the four great late Beatles albums, and Dylan tower over everything so much that you get into this trap of both over and undervaluing them. Overvaluing them in the sense that they sit as these cultural totems that no one can seriously question, undervaluing them in the sense that you almost forget to listen to them as music and remember why they are so universally loved in the first place. At some point it's hard to tell if these are the greatest because they've always been the greatest and you're conditioned to think that, or if they're the greatest because goddamn they sound incredible. I'm not sure what to do about that problem.

The second problem is that so much of the best music from the decade does not lend itself to the Great Album mythology of rock criticism, and by extension this project. So much of what I love about the decade -- Spector, Motown, early British Invasion, Nuggets-style garage rock, etc., etc. -- doesn't present itself best in the album format.

See, my thing with your first problem is that yes, those albums are undeniably great, but they were also undeniably popular and influential, so they've been consistently talked about for decades while equally great records that should be seen in the same exact light have been comparatively overlooked. The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle, for example. The Beatles never did something as pastorally pure and as purely gorgeous as that record. It stands alongside Pet Sounds as the epitome of Music Hall psychedelia but is nowhere near as universally acknowledged as such. And Dylan put out great albums, but there were others working in similar styles with incredible albums (The Band - Music From the Big Pink, Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava, the aforementioned Fairport Convention, to name a few) that didn't get the same talk, even though they were of comparable quality. I do think conditioning is part of it, because even people who aren't "music fans" will still hear those Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan albums because just about everyone hears them, but that doesn't mean that their objective quality is higher than these other records. Now, don't get me wrong, Dylan had at least five killer records in the 60s, the Beatles had some incredible releases and Pet Sounds is gold, but I can think of things that, at least personally, resonate more because they were more personal, show more in their flaws and have more risk-taking forward-thinking performances.

As far as the second problem, yup. The first three years of the 60s will be almost completely ignored because of this, even though Spector, Motown and early British groups were killing it at the time. That said, there are tons of incredible garage rock records from the 60s: the first Sonics record, that Monks one I just referred to, the second record by The Electric Prunes (really the first David Axelrod record, so stay tuned for my rant on that one) and the first two Amboy Dukes records are all great garage rock nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    That said, there are tons of incredible garage rock records from the 60s: the first Sonics record, that Monks one I just referred to, the second record by The Electric Prunes (really the first David Axelrod record, so stay tuned for my rant on that one) and the first two Amboy Dukes records are all great garage rock nuggets.
    The first Seeds album. So good.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Looking forward to theklein25's list.

Also, I ended up downloading and making a playlist of most of that Spin list of 100 alternative 60s albums. A ton of great stuff and a whole bunch I haven't heard too. Y'all should look through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Also, question:

Some of my favorite releases I own from the 60s are compilations from artists who recorded much earlier but who were rediscovered in that era. Some examples:
    Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues
    Leadbelly - The Last Sessions
    Louis Armstrong - The Hot Fives and Sevens sessions
    Son House - Father of the Delta Blues

Now, these were almost all recorded in the 20s-30s but not widely released until the 60s. I wouldn't consider them 60s records, but at the same time that argument could be made. So, should Robert Johnson or Louis Armstrong battle for my #1 spot because of release date?

I think the cleanest method is to stick by release date, and to let people decide if their concept of the best music of the particular decade in question includes archival releases that were unearthed in that decade. I could definitely see myself voting for the original Nuggets in the 70s list.

As to your specific examples, I don't think it would be all that crazy to include them if you felt strongly; the rediscovery of that music was certainly relevant to many of the artists of the 1960s.