Thread: Best airport to fly into

Default Best airport to fly into

I am going to Coachella with my friend who is moving to Colorado before the festival. I'm now in a sticky situation...

My friend is thinking of driving to Coachella from Colorado and meeting me at an airport somewhere.
    I am coming from Wisconsin and not sure where the best airport is to fly into. I want to meet her halfway so we can still take the drive down there together.
    Vail has a small airport, so I don't really want to land there because it is more expensive.
    I was thinking of meeting her in Vegas or Phoenix.
    I would love your help!

Thanks

I'm a Coachella newbie, so please be nice!

Default Re: Best airport to fly into

Palm Springs International Airport (PSP).
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Palm Springs is also an expensive airport, especially on Coachella weekends. I'd say Vegas is your best bet.

In general, Palm Springs--although convenient--is an expensive airport in which to fly. Las Vegas? Nah. Too far away, like 5 hours away. I highly recommend Ontario, CA airport. Your flight might be $30.-$40. more than flying into Los Angeles, but Ontario is MUCH, MUCH easier to navigate. If you had to do it you could rent a car at Ontario Airport and drive to Indio. I do think flying into Palm Springs would be best if money was no object but if you're money-conscience, consider Ontario International, Ontario, CA. It's about a one hour-fifteen minute drive from Ontario to Indio on the I-10 freeway. Direct shot.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    In general, Palm Springs--although convenient--is an expensive airport in which to fly. Las Vegas? Nah. Too far away, like 5 hours away. I highly recommend Ontario, CA airport. Your flight might be $30.-$40. more than flying into Los Angeles, but Ontario is MUCH, MUCH easier to navigate. If you had to do it you could rent a car at Ontario Airport and drive to Indio. I do think flying into Palm Springs would be best if money was no object but if you're money-conscience, consider Ontario International, Ontario, CA. It's about a one hour-fifteen minute drive from Ontario to Indio on the I-10 freeway. Direct shot.
    I just reread your original post. If you are wanting to meet a friend from Colorado, then I guess Las Vegas would make the most sense. It's just so far away from Indio.............
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Vegas fer shure. You can brunch and play slots and win enough to pay for the Coachella weekend for the both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I flew into ONT 2 two years ago. The best? no, but it was nice, not crowded like LAX and at the time it was the cheapest. Look into it. I've dont PSP and was food poisened the only time in my life and I paid 300 extra for a round trp
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

If your friend is coming from Vail, driving through Phoenix would probably add another hour or two onto her trip, so Las Vegas would probably make more sense.

Isn't Denver only 40 minutes away from Vail? Your cheapest, on-route options are Denver, Phoenix and Vegas. Vegas is great because you can rest there afterwards, I do it every year and it's a great place to recover with a good friend!

Your friend is "Thinking" about driving to Coachella - let them confirm they are driving then plan a plane trip around that.

Ontario is a good one as well. Last year I landed in Ontario and posted my self on craigslist/zimride and found a ride in less than 12 hrs, plus Ontario is on the way from LA and the rest of northern California.

Quote Originally Posted by emilydanielle91 View Post
    I am going to Coachella with my friend who is moving to Colorado before the festival. I'm now in a sticky situation...

My friend is thinking of driving to Coachella from Colorado and meeting me at an airport somewhere.
    I am coming from Wisconsin and not sure where the best airport is to fly into. I want to meet her halfway so we can still take the drive down there together.
    Vail has a small airport, so I don't really want to land there because it is more expensive.
    I would love your help!

Thanks

I'm a Coachella newbie, so please be nice!

Pheonix is a good airport to fly into. The drive to Coachella is only about 6 hrs from there. We are flying in from OR to Phx and driving in with our friends from AZ. And you will be driving opposite most of the CA traffic into the festival

Quote Originally Posted by muzikgrl4674 View Post
    Pheonix is a good airport to fly into. The drive to Coachella is only about 6 hrs from there. We are flying in from OR to Phx and driving in with our friends from AZ. And you will be driving opposite most of the CA traffic into the festival
    Way less than 6 hours from Phoenix. If you drove 6 hours west from Phoenix you'd be in the Pacific Ocean.

It's about 3.5 hours from Phoenix to Indio.

I flew into San Diego last year because I was staying with my cousin in Lake Elsinore the night before and with friends in SD after. Not a bad drive and San Diego is more relaxing than Vegas after a weekend of Coachella.

If you're completely mental and have no interest in going to San Diego then I definitely suggest Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldchella View Post
    If you drove 6 hours west from Phoenix you'd be in the Pacific Ocean.
    Hilarious and true.

For the last 3 years I've flown into PSP and picked up a rental there. If you want convenience, it's worth a least $100 more than having to drive from Ontario Airport or LAX. God, I hate driving in California. Worst drivers ever.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by Coldchella View Post
    Way less than 6 hours from Phoenix. If you drove 6 hours west from Phoenix you'd be in the Pacific Ocean.

It's about 3.5 hours from Phoenix to Indio.
    Correct. I live in West Phoenix and can nail the drive in three hours flat. Even with our traditional gas station/dairy queen stop.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

ontario

Quote Originally Posted by emilydanielle91 View Post
    So I just looked up the directions from Vail, Colorado to the Coachella Valley and it seems you have a couple of options. The directions info estimates that it's a 13+ hour drive, so in order to make most of the trip together you would probably like to meet up as close to Vail as possible.

If you were to fly into Denver, and your friend was agreeable to picking you up in Denver, you could make the whole trip together by taking Interstate 25 to start from and head SOUTH into New Mexico, then travel WEST from there. Should your friend decide to take this route, she could also pick you up along the way at the International Airports in Albuquerque or Phoenix.

But if she takes Interstate 70 WEST to Interstate 15 SOUTH, the only International Airport she would be passing by is in Las Vegas. That leaves another 4-5 Hours left on the trip (depending on traffic) to drive together. A lot of airports have cheap flights to/from Las Vegas, so that may be your best bargain on that route.

A third option might be that each of you flies from your respective states to either Las Vegas, LAX, or Ontario International Airport. Then either renting a car or carpooling with others to the festival, if possible, to cut down your travel time.

Good luck and stay safe on your trip.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

I've flown into Palm Spring, Ontario, and Las Vegas for past Coachella's. PSP is the most convenient, but this year i am flying into Vegas, much cheaper to fly to Vegas from the east and drive, It's not a bad drive.

Ontario is my airport of choice each year. I rent a car, throw my shit in the back, stop at the store for supplies and a cooler then its camping time!!