Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Default Re: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

I'm trying to think back on what my AOTYs were. Pretty sure they were Grizzly Bear, Besnard Lakes, Real Estate, and Swans. The victor for this year will likely be Tim Hecker or Bill Callahan, depending on which record reveals itself more on relistens in the next month and a half.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    By the end of it, Vampy Weeks will probably be the highest overall rated album, which tells us all we need to know about 2013.
    You act like the aggregate opinions of blogs and websites is all that matters when analyzing a whole year. 2013 may have been somewhat slight if you're talking about Pitchfork bands and their albums, but if you dug a little further it's been a fantastic year.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This year has, for me, been better than any since 2009 probably. That I could make my whole list just metal albums and be 1) completely fine with that decision and 2) have about 50 quality releases on there is just great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Last year was much more exciting for me in terms of albums and releases, but this year was much more exciting in terms of live shows (especially local artists).

I wasn't clear in what I meant. There was plenty of great music in 2013, just like there has been every year over the last decade or so as the old ways of the music business have crumbled and the internet has leveled barriers to entry. There's more good music than any of us could possibly consume or catalog. Additionally, we've all moved out of our own little cultural boxes, and stuff like genre and label seem almost quaint. It's an exciting time to be a music fan.

But . . . unlike other recent years past, there haven't been many (any?) albums that have brought the larger critical culture to acknowledge their singular excellence this year. Speaking personally, I can't think of a single album that I would throw out there as an instant classic that defined the year's conversation about music. There were "big" albums by important legacy artists, but it's hard to think of one of them that put itself out as the artist's best or most important work. So when I say there won't be a consensus this year, or that I'm disappointed that Modern Vampires will shake itself out as the overall top-rated album, I simply mean that the year lacked for a signature album.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 11-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

And of course, whether having a "big" cultural moment album matters at all is itself a subjective judgment. For me, this has been the least-satisfying year for new music since 2005 or 2006.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 11-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.

2009 was a loaded year. I bounced around among Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, St. Vincent, and went with Actor in the end. In hindsight, I'd go with Fever Ray as being the best.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

As long as the album that defined 2013 isn't Random Access Memories, I'm good.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    That album defined 1976.

And of course, whether having a "big" cultural moment album matters at all is itself a subjective judgment. For me, this has been the least-satisfying year for new music since 2005 or 2006.
    2006 may be my favorite year for music in recent memory. It bore witness to my favorite album of all time, Ys, had fantastic releases from Sonic Youth, Mastodon, Decemberists, TV on the Radio, Belle and Sebastian, Justin Timberlake, Yo La Tengo, Man Man, The Thermals, Tim Hecker, Ghostface Killah and the Hold Steady as well as breakout albums from The Clipse, Liars, Grizzly Bear, Boris, The Knife, Man Man and T.I. Also, Scott Walker made his opus, AFX (Aphex Twin) made his first album-length release in years, Gnarls Barkley dropped Crazy on the world, Phoenix put out what might be their best album, Celtic Frost went out in grand fashion, J-Dilla's incredible Donuts came out, Ornette Coleman put out his best release in at least 20 years and Junior Boys brought the cool and swagger of a young Justin Timberlake

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I think it did, as far as Mitch was saying in regards to the album that shaped the conversation the most. I don't enjoy it, I don't find it to be an important artistic statement, but it almost acts a litmus test. I think a lot of big trends are in keeping with that album in a way. Over-produced, half heartedly retro, a huge focus on viral marketing, an overstuffed behemoth that has ambitions of narrative that ultimately were trivial, a fascination with "real instruments" to make synthetic music. You can find a lot of this stuff done to varying degrees on albums both mainstream and underground. I think there's a lot of people who consider this the "future of music," a kind of modern throwback to lost ideals or something. Then there's a lot of people that took at face value and just enjoyed it for a run of the mill pop album. And then of course those who dismiss it, ignore it, or act in counterpoint to it. It's kind of the artificial beacon of what 2013 meant for music, and I'm going to have a hard time finding common ground with people who fall into the first of those three categories I just made up. If any of that is coherent or relevant at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Patrick, I posted that with the very real understanding that Random Access Memories could have definitely been that album. I'm obviously in the 3rd category, though I do still understand being the 2nd category.

Samsies dawg.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

It feels like a lifetime ago, but the only albums from that year I still regularly play are Boys and Girls in America, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, The Greatest, and Cease to Begin, all of which are albums that don't particularly "sound" like the mid-00s. I liked the Crane Wife, but it was also where they started getting proggy and I started checking out. Return to Cookie Mountain is my favorite TVOTR.

Again, none of these years were ever "bad," just more or less memorable. There's not as much of that "time and place" factor that brings me back to 2005/06 for whatever reason.

Second category for me, Patrick, though I do admire some of the ideology behind it as well. And I suppose that it's because I'm a second category person, I can't fully embrace the idea of Random Access Memories being a Great Album -- too much of it is stuff that is too long or doesn't work, period. I would easily like it much more than I do if "Beyond" and "Motherboard" had simply been left off.

RAM is going to place in the top 5 of lists everywhere, if only because everyone will remember that it was released, that they made a huge fuss about defending it's glory, and will feel a bit too guilty to acknowledge that they totally stopped listening to it a few months ago.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

You need to listen to more metal. 2013 has absolutely been one of the best years for metal.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Reflektor is an exciting album and I believe it will top most lists.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    You need to listen to more metal. 2013 has absolutely been one of the best years for metal.
    I just didn't want to say it because I start to feel like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I just didn't want to say it because I start to feel like a broken record.
    It's been a spectacular year for noise/experimental stuff, free jazz, the whole reinvigorated "American Primitive" genre that William Tyler led the way with, etc., as well. Pretty much only underwhelming if you choose to look no further than the P4K/Stereogum surface.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Pretty much only underwhelming if you choose to look no further than the P4K/Stereogum surface.
    That's just a way of shooting at a different target (Internet indie rock scribblers and scenesters) when the actual issue is with indie rock.

All credit to the year in free jazz and noise and metal, but I dig indie rock first and foremost.

RAM is going to place in the top 5 of lists everywhere, if only because everyone will remember that it was released, that they made a huge fuss about defending it's glory, and will feel a bit too guilty to acknowledge that they totally stopped listening to it a few months ago.
    Cara = 1 point

Deafheaven beat Miley haha

Amazon's "Best Albums of 2013"
    1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
    2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
    3. Chvrches - Bones of What You Believe
    4. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
    5. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
    6. Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    7. Lorde - Pure Heroine
    8. Bastille - Bad Blood
    9. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
    10. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
    11. Drake - Nothing Was The Same
    12. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
    13. Haim - Days Are Gone
    14. The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars
    15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...
    16. Deafheaven - Sunbather
    17. Foals - Holy Fire
    18. Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
    19. Fitz & The Tantrums - More THan Just A Dream
    20. Icona Pop - This Is... Icona Pop

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

The new Tegan and Sara was terrible. Just saying. I understand they're desire to make a pop record but i feel like in doing that they destroyed everything that made me interested in them in the first place.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Decibel's Top 40 Albums of 2013

1. Carcass - Surgical Steel
    2. In Solitude - Sister
    3. Gorguts - Colored Sands
    4. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
    5. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
    6. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
    7. Melt Banana - Fetch
    8. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
    9. Noisem - Agony Defined
    10. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
    11. Deafheaven - Sunbather
    12. Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    13. Nails - Abandon All Life
    14. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
    15. Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
    16. Secrets of the Sky - To Sail Black Waters
    17. Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
    18. Lycus - Tempest
    19. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    20. The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer
    21. Antigama - Meteor
    22. Kylesa - Ultraviolet
    23. Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
    24. Exhumed - Necrocracy
    25. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
    26. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
    27. Ulcerate - Vermis
    28. Anciients - Heart of Oak
    29. Craven Idol - Towards Eschaton
    30. Iron Reagan - Worse Than Dead
    31. Portal - Vexovoid
    32. Coliseum - Sister Faith
    33. Cathedral - The Last Spire
    34. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
    35. Noctum - Final Sacrifice
    36. AEvangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
    37. Watain - The Wild Hunt
    38. Corrections House - Last City Zero
    39. Dark Tranquility - Construct
    40. Batillus - Concrete Sustain

Now THAT is what I wanted to see. I've only heard 14 of those releases. I've got some listening to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    The new Tegan and Sara was terrible. Just saying.
    It's wasn't as good as the last few records they did, but it was not terrible. I disliked 'Closer' at first, but now I've embraced it as a pop gem.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I liked the new Tegan and Sara quite a bit, but I hand't followed outside of singles in the past.

Now THAT is what I wanted to see. I've only heard 14 of those releases. I've got some listening to do.
    Same here, got 19 records to listen to. Surprised to see the Coliseum record on here but it's a great release so no reason to complain, just a bit outside the sound of most of the other releases.

Norman Records Top 50 Albums of 2013

1. Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs
    2. Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
    3. Holden - The Inheritors
    4. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
    5. These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
    6. Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
    7. The Haxan Cloak - Excavation
    8. Forest Swords - Engravings
    9. Tropic of Cancer - Restless Idylls
    10. Teho Teardo & Blixa Bargeld - Still Smiling
    11. Fuzz - Fuzz
    12. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
    13. Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sister
    14. Fuck Buttons - Slow Focus
    15. Factory Floor - Factory Floor
    16. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
    17. Hacker Farm - UHF
    18. Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain
    19. Grouper - The Man Who Died in His Boat
    20. Nice Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
    21. Kurt Vile - Wakin on a Pretty Daze
    22. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
    23. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
    24. Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio
    25. Anthroprophh - Anthroprophh
    26. Autechre - Exai
    27. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II
    28. Lantern - Rock 'N' Roll Rorschach
    29. Vision Fortune - Mas Fiestas con el Grupo Vision Fortune
    30. Machinedrume - Vapor City
    31. Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day
    32. Zomby - With Love
    33. Colin Stetson - New History of Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light
    34. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe
    35. Plinth - Music for Smalls Lighthouse
    36. Dirty Beaches - Drifters/Love Is the Devil
    37. Sommet - Fugitive
    38. Roly Porter - Life Cycle of a Massive Star
    39. Rashad Becker - Traditional Music of Notional Species Vol. 1
    40. Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth
    41. The Pastels - Slow Summits
    42. Vatican Shadow - Remember Your Black Day
    43. The Oscillation - From Tomorrow
    44. LA Machine - Phases & Repetition
    45. Function - Incubation
    46. M. Geddes Geddes - Collected Works Vol. 1, The Moog Years
    47. Maston - Shadows
    48. Lawrence - Films & Windows
    49. Amor De Dias - The House at Sea
    50. The Prophet Hens - Popular People Do Popular People

Steel for Brains Top 50 Heavy albums (in alphabetic order):

Abyssal - Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius
    Agrimonia - Rites of Separation
    Alraune - Two Track Demo
    Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury
    Anagnorisis - Beyond all Light
    Antediluvian - Λόγος
    Ash Borer - Bloodlands EP
    Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
    Author & Punisher - Women & Children
    Black Boned Angel - The End
    Bone Sickness - Alone in the Grave