Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Default Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Here we go! I haven't listened to John Grant yet...

Rough Trade Shops - Top 101
    1. John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    2. Savages - Silence Yourself
    3. Matthew E White - Big Inner
    4. Dan Avery - Drone Logic
    5. Thee Oh Sees - Floating Coffin
    6. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    7. Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone
    8. Moderat - 2
    9. Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
    10. Jessica Pratt - Jessica Pratt
    11. Jagwar Ma - Howlin
    12. Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In
    13. My Bloody Valentine - MBV
    14. Connan Mockasin - Caramel
    15. Factory Floor - S/T
    16. Charles Bradley - Victim of Love
    17. London Grammar - If You Want
    18. Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork
    19. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
    20. Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day

More here: http://www.roughtrade.com/aoty2013

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: Top albumss of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

That is a mostly shitty list. Disgust!

Default Re: Top albumss of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    That is a mostly shitty list. Disgust!
    No Deafheaven! Wait till Pitchfork posts their list...

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Default Re: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

Was waiting for this thread

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Default Re: Top albums of 2013 (picked by labels, blogs, magazines, artists, and etc) :thu

It has nowhere to go but up from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Big Inner was released in 2012, then released on a bigger label on 2013. I don't think it should qualify as a 2013 release.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Take it up with Rough Trade's FB page, Paul (same is true for that Parquet Courts album too).
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Autre Ne Veut – Anxiety
    CHVRCHES – The Bones of What You Believe
    Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
    Disclosure – Settle
    Justin Timberlake – The 20/20 Experience
    Kanye West – Yeezus
    The National – Trouble Will Find Me
    Savages – Silence Yourself
    Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City
    Volcano Choir – Repave
    11 Oneohtrix Point Never – R Plus Seven
    12 Torres – Torres
    13 Chance the Rapper – Acid Rap
    14 The Knife – Shaking the Habitual
    15 Earl Sweatshirt – Doris
    16 Foxygen – 21st Century Ambassadors
    17 Phosphorescent – Muchacho
    18 Youth Lagoon – Wondrous Bughouse
    19 Kurt Vile – Wakin On A Sunny Daze
    20 Deerhunter – Monomania
    21 Neko Case – The Worse Things Get
    22 Waxahatchee – Cerulean Salt
    23 Arctic Monkeys – AM
    24 HAIM - Days Are Gone
    25 Iceage – You’re Nothing
    26 Laura Marling – I Once Was An Eagle
    27 London Grammar – If You Wait
    28 Rhye – Woman
    29 FKA twigs – EP2
    30 My Bloody Valentine – mbv
    31 Boards of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest
    32 James Blake – Overgrown
    33 Foals – Holy Fire
    34 Jai Paul - demos
    35 The Weeknd – Kiss Land
    36 Fuck Buttons – Soft Focus
    37 Italians Do It Better – After Dark 2
    38 David Bowie – The Next Day
    39 Marnie Stern – The Chronicles of Marnia
    40 Janelle Monae – The Electric Lady

http://prettymuchamazing.com/feature/best-albums-2013

Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    It has nowhere to go but up from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Spoke a bit too soon by friend.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

lol they did the top 10 alphabetically

Upcoming shows
    Events

The murder capital where we murder for capital

and fuck off because that Autre Ne Veut album deserves to be a top 10.

lol they did the top 10 alphabetically
    Yeah, I see that - my comment was more about the predictable/lackluster nature of said list, and I didn't want to quote the whole damn thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    and fuck off because that Autre Ne Veut album deserves to be a top 10.
    There are a handful of albums on that list which I think are Top 40 material, but yeah for the most part see above. Do you really think DP, JT, VW, and Churches really are Top 10 material?

Can we agree as a board at least not to do the user lists until Jan 2014? I hate how all these lists come out in mid-November.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Can we agree as a board at least not to do the user lists until Jan 2014? I hate how all these lists come out in mid-November.
    What albums are you still looking forward to this year?

Upcoming shows
    Events

Dunno, but that's not really relevant, as most of my favorites from this year weren't things I were expecting or looking for anyway.

What albums are you still looking forward to this year?
    I'm excited for new Talib Kweli coming out next month

Due to Popular Demand, We will Have CD and LP Available for pre-order Soon. Check back to http://www.kweliclub.com and http://www.talibkweli.com for updates.

When you pre order my newest project, Gravitas, available Dec 15th, you will be buying it directly from me, no middleman, and I will now have a direct relationship with you. Who needs this industry when we have each other. The technology exists for me to have this relationship with the fans, and vice versa. It is a grand experiment. Lets go for it!
    http://kweliclub.com/products/gravitas-album

7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Spoke a bit too soon by friend.
    I'm with you, totally uninspiring top 10. And yeah, I really dig Autre Ne Veut, but so far, he's only proven to be an artist that can deliver a few captivating songs an album. I prefer his first one quite a bit, although "Counting" may be his hallmark achievement thusfar.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Yeah but nobody gives a shit anymore about 2013 best-of lists once 2013 is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

The murder capital where we murder for capital

There are a handful of albums on that list which I think are Top 40 material, but yeah for the most part see above. Do you really think DP, JT, VW, and Churches really are Top 10 material?
    Nope. I agree with you on that lot. I'm no JT expert but this album is pretty bubble gum boring. DP is a handful of listens at most and done. Haven't listened to Chvrches really. The VW material is actually pretty alright live but I never liked them prior to this latest album.

I think the Autre Ne Veut album is solid start to finish. I listen to it often and never skip a song.

Do you really think DP, JT, VW, and Churches really are Top 10 material?
    Not really but I can understand such a rating, no, FUCK NO, definitely.
    7/27 Babymetal @ Fonda, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ The Ace, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater

WE CAN'T LET THE MINSTREL SHOW WIN

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    Yeah but nobody gives a shit anymore about 2013 best-of lists once 2013 is over.
    Year-end lists are like Christmas music - wait until fucking December for the love of god.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Facebook and messageboards are pretty slow between Thanksgiving and New Year, though.
    7/27 Babymetal @ Fonda, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ The Ace, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater

This will be a year without a consensus top album, and these lists are going to be all over the place. You will either get lists like the one that xanman posted that are a bunch of "tenure" acts and whatever was buzzy, or you will get lists that will be idiosyncratic and weird.

By the end of it, Vampy Weeks will probably be the highest overall rated album, which tells us all we need to know about 2013.

For reference:

2012 Pazz and Jop
    2012 Metacritic List of Lists

2011 Pazz and Jop
    2011 Metacritic List of Lists

2010 Pazz and Jop
    2010 Metacritic List of Lists

I'd be shocked if we saw a 2010 or 2012-style blowout/consensus this year.

I can't really remember anything that was anywhere near consensus since Veckatimest in 2009. And even that had a ton of challengers.

Edit: After thinking about it for one second I'm assuming Kanye and Frank Ocean were the quote-unquote consensus picks?
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Frank Ocean 100%.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

2009 was the year of AnCo. It doesn't feel like it in retrospect because the album came out so early in the year, but it was the runaway victor that year.

Kendrick was pretty revered across the board last year.