Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonnaroo 2014

old school

Default Re: Bonnaroo 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    It's his first North American festival ever
    careful with that wording.

"His appearance on the festival’s What Stage will not only be his first Bonnaroo appearance but also his first appearance at any modern United States music festival."
    The promoters seem to be dancing around "first" a bit and Elton did some stuff 3-4 decades ago that might apply, but nothing is clear cut.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...hn-nyc-8-18-76
    He guested, presumably unbilled, at this festival.

Elton guested seperated with the Doobies and The Eagles at San Fran's "Day at the Green" in 1975.

Elton guested with Kiki Dee at the Central Park "Dr. Pepper Music Festival" in August 1977.

5 songs at I Heart Radio several months ago.

He did 45 minutes at Bridge School in 1992 that's on youtube. 2010 as well.

Ignoring those Elton appears to have played in Baltimore at something called "Painter's Mill Music Fair" in 1971.
    "Tree Frog Productions had Elton John open for Leon Russell, Derek and the Dominoes, Cheech and Chong, Emerson Lake and Palmer and many more in '70 and '71.(3) "

http://www.baltimoresummerantiques.c...AN_14_1950.pdf
    Painter's Mill Elton concert poster, though this appears to be just a double bill.

Bonnaroo 2014 > Coachella + Gov Balls 2014

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    NO.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

All subjective, but I love both festivals and think Coachella is better than Bonnaroo this year.

Gov Ball had a pretty great lineup for its size.

I think you guys are fucking high if you think this is a great lineup. Especially with what Bonnaroo has pulled in the past. They have Outkast in their own fucking backyard, reuniting and touring every festival known to mankind (except Primavera, but at least they brought in a proper dance card) and they don't book them to the festival where they would draw possibly their biggest crowd and you book Kanye instead?

Elton alone would get me to go if I lived in the region and while there are several really good bands on that lineup, not a single one of them is an eye-popper at this point.

FWIW, I was super excited to see Elton at Bestival last year and it was a very nice greatest hits singalong set. However, I was pissed that there were no costume changes.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

How?
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Elton is one of the few big artists I'd actually be totally cool with a greatest hits singalong type set. I forgot how much I love his stuff until I listened to his best of for the first time since I was a kid about a month ago.

As for the lineup, there's a bunch of decent bookings, but there's just as much if not more filler. I still wish we could some day get a combination between Coachella and Bonnaroo. Get some of Coachella's rare, unusual and arty bookings and mix them with Bonnaroo's all night policy, comedy, and attention to heavy, folky, and world music acts. And then let Paxahau curate a dance tent.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Phosphorescent, Sarah Jarosz, Valerie June, the Lone Bellow, Those Darlins among others.
    eh, Those Darlins are ok, nothing to get excited about. I don't know the others you list.

Neko Case trumps them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Tom, you should absolutely listen to Phosphorescent. His album last year, Muchacho, is spectacular.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Tom, you should absolutely listen to Phosphorescent. His album last year, Muchacho, is spectacular.
    I told him at least three times to listen to that album last year. Fucker just doesn't care about putting good things in his ears. Goddamned candy raver.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Phosphorescent was one of my favorite albums of last year. The Lone Bellow are ever-so-Mumfordwave, but I like 'em all the same.

Valerie June is an eclectic, and well worth a listen:

Sarah Jarosz has been one of my favorite newer folk acts in some time. She's a helluva good player, too:

Obligatory Dylan cover:

Neko Case trumps them all.
    Yep.

old school

What Guy said about Outkast is spot on. Why they werent on the Roo lineup is perplexing. It seems that both festivals made lazy bookings using primarily acts that are already touring. Not that it matters at all but Elton John is a Vegas act. When you have a residency at Caesar's for years well then you are a Vegas act. The guy has a warehouse there that I've worked at putting away his set after a run. He will likely remain a Vegas staple for the duration of his career.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I think you guys are fucking high if you think this is a great lineup. Especially with what Bonnaroo has pulled in the past. They have Outkast in their own fucking backyard, reuniting and touring every festival known to mankind (except Primavera, but at least they brought in a proper dance card) and they don't book them to the festival where they would draw possibly their biggest crowd and you book Kanye instead?

Elton alone would get me to go if I lived in the region and while there are several really good bands on that lineup, not a single one of them is an eye-popper at this point.
    1) Outkast is headlining Counterpoint Festival in April which takes place near home in Rome, GA. Also Outkast will be in Europe during Bonnaroo anyway...
    2) Kanye? Who cares....other stages will be popping till 6 in the morning @ Bonnaroo if you don't want to see Yeezus.
    3) Wait there was an eye-popper on Coachella poster this year? Please tell us!

9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

It seems to me that the Replacements and the Knife were both on various bucket lists forever, but whatever, they're no Elton John or Jack White or [insert act that has already recently played Coachella here].

Spooks I think that Skrillex show fucked with your mind
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

There is less of a difference between "major" and "mid-major" festivals as there were a few years ago. Exclusive headliners seem like they either don't exist anymore or they get criticized (Elton John, The Stone Roses). Undercard acts just hop from festival to festival while an exclusive booking like The Replacements (Riotfest, I know...) show up as a co-headliner on a mid-major festival (Shaky Knees) a week later. On the other hand, you have festivals like Gov Ball that are growing, can nab the same headliners the other festivals get (arguably they got the most exclusive act in '14 with The Strokes), and fill out the same undercard. I really don't see *that* much of a difference between Bonnaroo or Firefly or Governors Ball. I'm at least thankful Coachella is bringing a lot of interesting acts that I haven't seen on tons of other posters, and I'll keep going until that stops. It seems like the most universally approved lineups are festivals like APF or Moogfest, which obviously aren't going for the audiences Bonnaroo or Firefly are. Anyway, I'll shut up.

It seems to me that the Replacements and the Knife were both on various bucket lists forever, but whatever, they're no Elton John or Jack White or [insert act that has already recently played Coachella here].

Stop making excuses, this is the worst Cochella lineup yet. I guess living in Utah, you would be happy to see the Replacements and the Knife in front of thousands of people but I can see both acts at a proper venue. They get Nas on the 20th anniversary of Illmatic and he's on the third line?! The Yuma tent will be pumping. The rest of the lineup however....when Beady Eye, Lorde, Foster the People, Broken Bells, and etc are towards the top of lineup, you're in trouble

9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten

Now you're just moving the goalposts; you don't get to compare festival to festival and then jump to "but I can see such and such act in a relevant NYC club" which has fuckall nothing to do with the original comparison.

Also, did I miss an announced "proper venue" Replacements show, or are you just privy to super cool inside info? I hope the later, because my esteem for you would grow immensely if you had early information about a show in New York.

UTAH, AMIRITE?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

It's easy to go to relevant shows when you live with your parents.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I essentially live in an Alexander Payne movie; not sure why I haven't just killed myself already.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    It's easy to go to relevant shows when you live with your parents.
    SHOTS FIRED!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Also, did I miss an announced "proper venue" Replacements show, or are you just privy to super cool inside info? I hope the later, because my esteem for you would grow immensely if you had early information about a show in New York.
    Fuck New York. Play a proper venue like The Crescent Ballroom in Phoenix!

1) Outkast is headlining Counterpoint Festival in April which takes place near home in Rome, GA. Also Outkast will be in Europe during Bonnaroo anyway...
    2) Kanye? Who cares....other stages will be popping till 6 in the morning @ Bonnaroo if you don't want to see Yeezus.
    3) Wait there was an eye-popper on Coachella poster this year? Please tell us!

Spooks, you fucking dufus, whether you want to see it this way or not, a lot of people believe getting Outkast's first full, live show together in over a decade is a pretty big get for Coachella. The fact we all knew it was happening months in advance does not matter. Neither does where they play after.

The Knife is a pretty huge booking too. When was the last time they were in the US? Coachella got first dibs on them too. What about The Replacements, Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, Bonobo, The Afghan Whigs or Motörhead? The Pet Shop Boys were a pleasant surprise too.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 02-20-2014 at 12:15 PM.

So since I live in Alaska, by Spooks theory, every festival is pretty goddamn amazing to me I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Spooks, you fucking dufus, whether you want to see it this way or not, a lot of people believe getting Outkast's first full, live show together in over a decade is a pretty big get for Coachella. The fact we all knew it was happening months in advance does not matter. Neither does where they play after.

The Knife is a pretty huge booking too. When was the last time they were in the US? Coachella got first dibs on them too. What about The Replacements, Bryan Ferry, Neko Case, Bonobo, Bryan Ferry, The Afghan Whigs or Motörhead? The Pet Shop Boys were a pleasant surprise too.
    Who cares about that fake band Motorhead?

I live a half hour away from Los Angeles and I for one am absolutely ecstatic about the chance to see The Knife and The Replacements in front of thousands of people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare