View Poll Results: Which of the following best describes you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am enrolled in my employer's qualifying plan.

25 71.43%
  • I am not enrolled in my employer's qualifying plan.

1 2.86%
  • I have signed up through the exchange.

1 2.86%
  • I have tried and failed to sign up through the exchange.

3 8.57%
  • I will try to sign up once the site is functioning.

4 11.43%
  • I will pay the penalty

4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Health Insurance

Default Re: Health Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The insurance that my employer pays is a middle class "Cadillac Plan." It will be taxed at 40% starting in 2018, to pay for everyone else. What employers are going to do is to lower the quality of the plans, and dramatically increase deductibles and co-pays (my deductible currently is $1200, with $2600 out of pocket each year, if I use within-system doctors), so that they will no longer be Cadillacs. It's going to kill union workers like me. Perhaps quite literally.
    Unless your plan is really, really expensive, they shouldn't have to dramatically cut anything. The 40% excise tax only hits for each dollar over $10,200 for individual coverage and $27,500 for self and spouse or family coverage. And that threshold will be adjusted for inflation. The incentive is to be more efficient on the cost of health plans, and to move employers away from overspending on (for their purposes) tax deductible health insurance plans that distort the overall market.

Hey I'm a government employee, and I get the concern. My employer makes up for my below-market wages with above-market health and retirement benefits. Seven years from now, there could be a real disconnect between the inflation rate built into the law and the actual cost increases in medical care. But we can't pretend that part of the problem with health care isn't expense, and we can't pretend that part of the problem with expense isn't health plans that fail to incentivize anyone -- medical providers, insurers, employers, or employees -- to be concerned about cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

The bottom line is that it's bullet proof and that the increased costs and higher deductibles we're all experiencing is clearly something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I need to correct something I said back there. My current plan actually does not comply with the ACA. I am only allowed to keep it for now due to the Employer mandate extension. My employer will have to offer a more expensive plan or eliminate health insurance from my compensation altogether and pay the penalty.

He currently pays for the entire premium for an individual employee and 1/2 of the premium for that employees family. According to the research we have done so far, it will be cheaper for him to take the tax hit than to continue with the current program. At that point, I would need to go to the exchange where it seems according to my search, I will be looking at over a 200% increase in premiums for less coverage.
    Last edited by Cheddar's Cousin; 11-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    I need to correct something I said back there. My current plan actually does not comply with the ACA. I am only allowed to keep it for now due to the Employer mandate extension. My employer will have to offer a more expensive plan or eliminate health insurance from my compensation altogether and pay the penalty.

He currently pays for the entire premium for an individual employee and 1/2 of the premium for that employees family. According to the research we have done so far, it will be cheaper for him to take the tax hit than to continue with the current program. At that point, I would need to go to the exchange where it seems according to my search, I will be looking at over a 200% increase in premiums for less coverage.
    Could someone who isn't Chedda or Rodj explain to me if this could possibly be true? If his employer's plan is so lousy that it's being eliminated, wouldn't that mean that any plan he finds one the exchange has to provide more coverage?

The only thing better is that there is no cap.

Other than that, the deductible, max out-of-pocket, and copays are all higher.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

F.Y.I.--
    If you like your hospital, you might not be able to keep it.

In the latest surprise to emerge during the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, people seeking insurance on the ObamaCare exchanges are finding the plans limit access to some of the best-ranked hospitals and cancer centers in the country.

The access problem is a byproduct of the effort to drive down costs of subsidized coverage, prompting insurance companies to shy away from more expensive facilities.

That doesn't necessarily mean someone buying insurance through ObamaCare is locked out of those hospitals. In some cases, patients could go "out of network" in order to use the medical center of their choosing -- but would have to pay more in the process.

According to a former top health care adviser for the White House, that's how the program was designed.

Challenged on "Fox News Sunday" over why Americans are losing access to their current doctors and hospitals, ObamaCare architect Ezekiel Emanuel claimed President Obama did not mislead on that point, despite his refrain that if people liked their doctors and policies they could keep them.

"The president never said you were going to have unlimited choice of any doctor in the country you want to go to," Emanuel said. "He didn't say you could have unlimited choice."

In a remark that has since generated considerable controversy, Emanuel added: "If you want to pay more for an insurance company that covers your doctor, you can do that."

Indeed, The Financial Times reported that most plans being sold on the exchanges in New York, Texas and California do not offer access to some of the top medical centers in those states.

New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering, Houston's MD Anderson Cancer Center and Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center are left out of most plans -- meaning those who want to go there would likely have to pay more.

Watchdog.org, in a recent report, found that 11 of the top 18 hospitals (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report) were connected with just one or two insurance carriers on the exchanges. In Ohio, for instance, the Cleveland Clinic was connected with one insurance company.

Asked about the shifting policies under ObamaCare and their impact on choice, a representative with The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center released a statement to FoxNews.com saying, "all patients deserve access to top tier cancer care" -- and that while not everyone needs to come to MD Anderson, "we believe both insurance providers and our health care system must work together to ensure patients have that option so that all of us have the best chance of beating cancer."

Though some complain about these centers' high costs, the statement argued that "our country's leading cancer centers help bring down the cost of care for all patients by conducting research that leads to new and better treatments, better cancer fighting strategies and increased efficiencies that lead to cost savings."

"We're very concerned," Thomas Priselac, president of Cedars-Sinai Health System in California, told The Financial Times. "[Insurers] know patients that are sick come to places like ours. What this is trying to do is redirect those patients elsewhere, but there is a reason why they come here. These patients need what it is that we are capable of providing."

It's not just the insurance companies that are deciding to drop certain hospitals from their plans. In some cases, the hospitals themselves are opting out, unwilling to go along with proposed lower rates.

Robert Zirkelbach, spokesman for America's Health Insurance Plans, defended the insurance industry's move to trim costs where it can -- noting that the law's benefit requirements end up raising costs.

"Establishing high-value provider networks is one way health plans can help make coverage more affordable for consumers, which is particularly important at a time when costs are increasing due to the new health insurance tax and minimum benefit requirements included in the health care reform law," he told FoxNews.com.

Emanuel, though, said "the issue isn't the selective networks."

"People are going to have a choice as to whether they want to pay a certain amount for a selective network or pay more for a broader network," Emanuel said.

Under the law, people who do not have insurance have until the end of March to sign up in order to avoid a penalty. For those wishing to get new coverage by Jan. 1, the deadline to sign up is Dec. 23.

Despite problems with HealthCare.gov and other state-based exchanges, officials say they're improving the websites and making progress in signing more people up as the deadlines near.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Definitely needed to post this in two different threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Definitely needed to post this in two different threads.
    Chill out dude. If he posts that article in three more threads he wins a free round of chemotherapy.