View Poll Results: Which of the following best describes you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am enrolled in my employer's qualifying plan.

25 71.43%
  • I am not enrolled in my employer's qualifying plan.

1 2.86%
  • I have signed up through the exchange.

1 2.86%
  • I have tried and failed to sign up through the exchange.

3 8.57%
  • I will try to sign up once the site is functioning.

4 11.43%
  • I will pay the penalty

4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

Default Health Insurance

How does the A.C.A. effect you?

You may choose as many as apply to you.
    Last edited by Cheddar's Cousin; 11-17-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Default Re: Health Insurance

Yeah, I've been in there. I was looking for some data from actual board members. No one seems to want to answer my question in there.

Do you have any reason to expect the vast majority of people here aren't going to pick option 1? Or the unstated option "I'm still on my parents plan until I turn 26 because I can do that now."

You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

What if I want to export Cheddar's Cousin? What customs paperwork do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by iamthehorn View Post
    Do you have any reason to expect the vast majority of people here aren't going to pick option 1? Or the unstated option "I'm still on my parents plan until I turn 26 because I can do that now."

I didn't think about adding the parents' plan option. I forgot that we aren't all adults here.

As far as your first question, I'm just curious. There are a lot of A.C.A. supporters in here, and I was wondering how we all fit into the system.

I'd expect the population of freelancers in this group would be larger than the general public. I'm gonna guess maybe 80% employer provided, 20% exchange. You also forgot that a lot of people will be signing up on state exchanges (California has it's own) not the federal one.

Any exchange will do.

How about low income people who now qualify for MediCare/State Equivalent? You've left out quite a few options.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Where's the option for "I would have to pay the penalty, but since I didn't overwithold, I won't be getting a tax refund and therefore don't have to pay the penalty"
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    How about low income people who now qualify for MediCare/State Equivalent? You've left out quite a few options.
    Yeah...let's count that as an exchange thing. The point is, who is already covered, who will go the government route, and who will go purposely uncovered.

It is required by law that you report the penalty on your return if you do not have qualifying coverage.

Looks like millions of people won't be covered by your health insurance poll, Cheddar. More broken promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    Yeah...let's count that as an exchange thing. The point is, who is already covered, who will go the government route, and who will go purposely uncovered.
    It's very clearly not though. I can't afford coverage, but my income currently places me well below the penalty route. Instead, government health care has been extended to more people who cannot afford any other option. I think that's a huge step in the right direction, even if it only applies to people with woefully low incomes.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

But what if Obama and waffles and not all of the options are available? Suppose Obama just enacts parts of the law that he likes?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    It's very clearly not though. I can't afford coverage, but my income currently places me well below the penalty route. Instead, government health care has been extended to more people who cannot afford any other option. I think that's a huge step in the right direction, even if it only applies to people with woefully low incomes.

I see what you mean. The exchange was created to subsidize people in your position. You are in the group of people the ACA is intended to help rather than the group of people who will pay for it.

Have you been covered?

You assume your ideology by distinguishing the people the ACA will "help" from the people who "pay" for it.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I will not, for example, receive a premium subsidy or Medicaid coverage, and will continue on with my employer's health plan. But I will also enjoy the benefit of the ACA's cost controls and increased coverage, as well as the very real social benefit of not observing millions of my fellow citizens needlessly suffering without access to routine medical care that either poverty or the pre-ACA insurance system excluded them from.

Wished it was single payer like Canada's or Australia's.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    But what if Obama and waffles and not all of the options are available? Suppose Obama just enacts parts of the law that he likes?
    The funny thing is that Obama is not actually changing the law. So if your health insurance company allows you to stay on your current health insurance plan that does not meet the requirements of Obamacare, it is technically breaking the law.

And if you continue to stay on that current health insurance plan that does not meet the requirements of Obamacare, you are technically breaking the law.

It is just that Obama has promised not to enforce what the law says for one year.

For a president to just blatantly disregard the rule of law is a very dangerous precedent. Do we really want the president to have the power to decide what laws are going to be enforced and what laws are not going to be enforced?

That sounds dangerously close to a dictatorship to me.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

This post is just as "technically" wrong in this thread as it was in the other one. Research administrative law and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    You assume your ideology by distinguishing the people the ACA will "help" from the people who "pay" for it.
    I meant no judgement. I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything.

The plan I have through my employer was already compliant. My premium and coverage will remain the same through 2014. I will be personally affected very little by the ACA until then. If everything works out, and my premium goes down by then, I will be happy. Unless, of course, the cost to my employer is such that my compensation will be reduced on some other level.

You do realize that many healthy people and people with higher incomes will pay higher premiums than they otherwise would have due to the inclusion of less than healthy people and lower income people in the system, right?

That is where the terms "help" and "pay" were used to distinguish the two groups in my mind.

Yes, I am aware that (some) healthier and (some) richer people will pay more in taxes or premiums. Notwithstanding that, they still aren't necessarily "paying" for this, or are made to be losers by it.

In checking with the interwebs, I have found sites on both sides of the issue using the exact terms I have used, but I won't make a big deal about the semantics. The substance is what's important. I can agree to whatever terms you like. That being said, wouldn't you agree that the 4 million people who will not receive any premium payment assistance qualify as "many"? That's the lowest number I could find re: people paying higher premiums.

Add to that the other 5-9 million who will be paying subsidized premiums which may or may not be higher than their current premiums, and I would surely call the 7 million currently uninsured who will receive free coverage the winners.

I can see how one could argue that all three groups are ultimately winners if the result is truly a healthier nation. I can only hope that this will be the end result.

I actually don't think 4 million people out of a country of over 350 million qualifies as "many." Nor is there any clear indication that the financial burden placed on those people is any worse than any tax levied on any American for any reason. Almost by definition anyone who isn't getting a subsidy makes above average income.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Yes, I am aware that (some) healthier and (some) richer people will pay more in taxes or premiums. Notwithstanding that, they still aren't necessarily "paying" for this, or are made to be losers by it.
    The insurance that my employer pays is a middle class "Cadillac Plan." It will be taxed at 40% starting in 2018, to pay for everyone else. What employers are going to do is to lower the quality of the plans, and dramatically increase deductibles and co-pays (my deductible currently is $1200, with $2600 out of pocket each year, if I use within-system doctors), so that they will no longer be Cadillacs. It's going to kill union workers like me. Perhaps quite literally.

The insurance that my employer pays is a middle class "Cadillac Plan." It will be taxed at 40% starting in 2018, to pay for everyone else. What employers are going to do is to lower the quality of the plans, and dramatically increase deductibles and co-pays (my deductible currently is $1200, with $2600 out of pocket each year, if I use within-system doctors), so that they will no longer be Cadillacs. It's going to kill union workers like me. Perhaps quite literally.
    I'm not Union, but this is exactly what is happening with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Lurker

Health Insurance Is an Important aspect of anybody. It's provide lot of benefits, Compensation, Accident Recovery any other more benefits including in the Health Insurance.

What employers are going to do is to lower the quality of the plans, and dramatically increase deductibles and co-pays
    This describes my current experience.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.