Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAVID BOWIE 2014

Default Re: DAVID BOWIE 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Couple arena shows stretched over a week in LA is actually more "fan friendly" than Coachella. It's also cheaper for those that only have minimal interest in the rest of the Coachella lineup or dealing with Goldenvoice's "travel packages". Camping at the festival is sold out.

Plus there would be a couple thousand people camped out at the front of the stage before Bowie, which has always struck me as counter-intuitive to the spirit of a music festival for both fans and performers.
    I totally agree! Especially about fans crowding the stage...what's the point of paying to see 3 days worth of performances if you're just showing up to see 1 artist. But yes, incredibly more fan friendly for him to play LA venues than a festival. I'm just saying that if he does indeed play in the LA area at that time, there is a chance he would make an appearance. I don't actually know what a David Bowie concert ticket typically runs but I remember that last year the Rolling Stones were hyped about making an appearance and it ended up being just a fluke and that there was no chance of them coming due to costs. Their ticket sales ranged around $300per ticket. $50 less than the entire festival...
    #Bowievers™

BOWEIVE
    #Bowievers™

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    #BowieCoachella2014
    #Bowchella2014

You guys can line up, drop trou, and I'll get on my knees and head-bob like a circus seal and service every one of you if Bowie is on the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You guys can line up, drop trou, and I'll get on my knees and head-bob like a circus seal and service every one of you if Bowie is on the lineup.
    Ima hold you too it! #Bowie2014
    #Bowievers™

Quote Originally Posted by jordandahdoul View Post
    Ima hold you too it! #Bowie2014
    you mean #Blowie2014

Why'd this get put into rumors?!? This should definitely be in Line-up/Artists
    #Bowievers™

you're lucky the moderator didn't just delete the damned thing.

Golden years, gold whop whop whop
    #Bowievers™

Though I strongly believe it's far more likely than not he's doing gigs in 2014, Coachella isn't happening for a couple reasons.

He can make more playing a couple arena shows in LA....
    Correction:
    Bowie cannot make more money playing an arena than playing one of the top festivals in the world.
    Bowie cannot garner more press coverage than headlining Coachella.
    He will receive the world's finest audio/lighting/production at Coachella, not necessarily on a small arena tour.
    And who cares whether the "die hard" Bowie fans want to wait all day to see Bowie; the die-hards enjoyed Roger Waters, Prince, and Paul McCartney... so the older hip crowd will dig it.

If Radiohead and McCartney and Prince received $2M - $3M per show at Coachella (Radiohead $5M for two weekends, reportedly), David Bowie (after a long absence) would certainly command $1.5M per festival appearance, if not more due to the rarity. If Goldenvoice doesn't pay it, Bonnaroo would, or Glastonbury, or many others.

But putting the money aside...
    Bowie has always appreciated the art of music, and Bowie has collaborated with Trent Reznor, Arcade Fire, etc.
    My guess is that if David Bowie takes the stage in 2014 - it will be in Indio.
    you mean #Blowie2014

old school

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShoe View Post
    Correction:
    Bowie cannot make more money playing an arena than playing one of the top festivals in the world.
    Bowie cannot garner more press coverage than headlining Coachella.
    He will receive the world's finest audio/lighting/production at Coachella, not necessarily on a small arena tour.
    And who cares whether the "die hard" Bowie fans want to wait all day to see Bowie; the die-hards enjoyed Roger Waters, Prince, and Paul McCartney... so the older hip crowd will dig it.

If Radiohead and McCartney and Prince received $2M - $3M per show at Coachella (Radiohead $5M for two weekends, reportedly), David Bowie (after a long absence) would certainly command $1.5M per festival appearance, if not more due to the rarity. If Goldenvoice doesn't pay it, Bonnaroo would, or Glastonbury, or many others.
    15,000 in an arena each paying roughly an average of $100 per ticket = $1.5 mill. I saw Bowie in a full arena with 12,000 and half of them paid $90+ face value to be there. That was a decade ago in the middle of a very busy 2004 tour with plenty of neighbouring shows.

If it's a west coast exclusive LA engagement with 2-4 arena shows, Bowie could easily dwarf the $3mil you propose the GV are offerring. Plus far more merch oppurtunities than GV can offer with limited space at the festival - low to mid 6 figures.

Bowie can have all the guests he wants at his arena shows. Also, Bowie WILL NOT appear on anyone else's stage until his opening night. Stop it with the Arcade Fire or NIN. AFAIK, David hasn't been spotted at either band's NYC shows since 2005 or so.

Bowie doesn't need Coachella for press mileage or to look cool to younger generations. Like the Stones tour there will likely be at least 1 "flat" show and it wouldn't be good for Bowie if that happened at a high profile gig. I saw Bowie 4 times in 2004 and 3 of them great, 1 was kinda flat. With a couple nights in the same city fans will see more than one show and it's far easier for everyone to forget an off night. Look at Stone Roses W1 vs. W2 or Radiohead W1 vs. W2.

A headliner at Coachella MIGHT get a mid week soundcheck like McCartney or Dre. With an arena run Bowie can fiddle with stuff for the entire week whenever crowds aren't in the building. I'd also think he wouldn't want any unpredictable weather.

GV no longer offer single day tickets and have taken control of most hotels rooms in the area. The Older demo has less presence after they went 3 day passes and the longer time/money commitment.

Nashville/Bonnaroo won't be a big market for Bowie. Glastonbury are never the major bidders for headliner, they land acts on prestige for their non-profit festival. Bowie had a big falling out with Lollapalooza in the mid 90's, but I'm sure that's all forgotten.

Your past point about Bowie being about art more than commerce works in my favour. At arena shows bowie has more freedom with setlist. At Coachella he's have to do a hits leaning set like he did at Glasto 2000 or Isle of Wight 2004.

The matter of the fact is that we would like to see him return to the stage sometime next year. Whether it be the LA area or Coachella (preferably). Paul McCartney and Dre still did the shows and McCartney most recently at Outsidelands. I don't think sound check is his biggest issue, either is him having to play a great show to avoid media scrutiny (he doesn't give a shit). The only reason he would choose not to play is the commitment of playing 2 straight weekends. That being said, Radiohead made the commitment and played several other shows that month so it's still possible. Goldenvoice has pulled big names in the past and I don't doubt their ability to negotiate a deal with David Bowie. I hope they do reach out to him and make him the Friday Night headliner. He shows up Saturday, most will leave Sunday and everyone is drained out Sunday Night.
    #Bowievers™

Not that I don't want them to pursue booking David Bowie, but them booking Outkast would be just as badass. Billboard Hypebeast lol

Nothing wrong with both of them doe, WOULD BE MIND BLOWING!
    #Bowievers™

15,000 in an arena each paying roughly an average of $100 per ticket = $1.5 mill. [... buzz buzz buzzity buzz ...] Your past point about Bowie being about art more than commerce works in my favour. At arena shows bowie has more freedom with setlist. At Coachella he's have to do a hits leaning set like he did at Glasto 2000 or Isle of Wight 2004.
    this could be your buzziest post to date. congrats.

this could be your buzziest post to date. congrats.
    Bowin up this thread
    #Bowievers™

old school

The only reason he would choose not to play is the commitment of playing 2 straight weekends.
    Why would Bowie consider staying in the SoCal area for 8-9 days a bad thing? Week of arena or double Coachella.

old school

Bowin up this thread
    That's the first time I've ever seen "Bowie" used as a verb.

Last Year during Red Hot Chilli Peppers Weekend 1, they played in the middle of a sandstorm and it was 60 degrees. I left because I'd rather sit in my car than blind myself and freeze my ass off trying to watch them. It's not SoCal as in Orange County and LA County, it's the desert!
    #Bowievers™

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

thank you for leaving. the fields were glorious without you.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    thank you for leaving. the fields were glorious without you.
    The festival ended when I left the fields so I'm sure it was #chillipeppersblowie
    #Bowievers™

If GV knows music they know Bowie talents needs no help from you. Bowie has been fringe music since the 70's. Question is can Bowie survive the desert heat, dust, dry wind.
    Chuck Norris approved this message

#toooldandwashedup
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

After the Stone Roses reformed ... I'll believe anything can happen, without putting any money on it mind you.

It's hogmanay and as drunk as I'll be tonight I'll be massively surprised if DB decides he's healthy enough to gig 10 years after his heart scare.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way