Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Smile Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Hello Everyone,

So 2014 will be my first Coachella experience and I am seriously considering a Safari Tent. Every review I have read says, "If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny." Money is not the issue with me, it is the experience. So here are my pros and cons so far:

Pros:
    1) Since I am traveling from Ohio by plane, I will not have a tent or any of my own camping supplies to bring, so a furnished tent with A/C and single shower access is HUGE for me.
    2) I can reserve a Safari Tent now and be set, no worry about getting tickets/accomodations when they go on sale to the general public in January.
    3) GUEST PASS- from what I hear they are the best, most exclusive passes you can get to Coachella.

Cons:
    1) The cost. $6500 is a lot of money and the cost differencial between the Safari Tents and the rest of the camping options is substantial.
    2) I still am wondering if just renting a 4 person tent at Lake Eldorado and getting 4 VIP passes would be almost as good while saving a couple thousand dollars.

Any input or comments are really appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Safari Tents.. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye2112 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

So 2014 will be my first Coachella experience and I am seriously considering a Safari Tent. Every review I have read says, "If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny." Money is not the issue with me, it is the experience. So here are my pros and cons so far:

Pros:
    1) Since I am traveling from Ohio by plane, I will not have a tent or any of my own camping supplies to bring, so a furnished tent with A/C and single shower access is HUGE for me.
    2) I can reserve a Safari Tent now and be set, no worry about getting tickets/accomodations when they go on sale to the general public in January.
    3) GUEST PASS- from what I hear they are the best, most exclusive passes you can get to Coachella.

Cons:
    1) The cost. $6500 is a lot of money and the cost differencial between the Safari Tents and the rest of the camping options is substantial.
    2) I still am wondering if just renting a 4 person tent at Lake Eldorado and getting 4 VIP passes would be almost as good while saving a couple thousand dollars.

Any input or comments are really appreciated!

Thanks!
    If money is not the issue, then what's your concern?

I've always heard that If you have the money for it, it's worth every penny.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

I've done Safari camping twice. The biggest perks of the Guest pass are: Guest viewing sections at the stages -lots of room, mostly unobstructed view if you show up in decent time for your set. Golf carts taking you back and forth from your tent that you can access behind the stage area- there is a walkway that will take you from Guest viewing to the rear transport area. You can head back to your tent between sets for water, sunscreen, a change of shirt or shoes, or to quickly freshen up. Or let's say, if you need to get from Mainstage to the Gobi quickly, this is a great benefit. Access to the Artists camping area, where you can enjoy free water, sometimes beer/snacks and loungy comfortable atmosphere with nice toilet trailers. Access to all VIP areas. Best features of Safari area are: Shower toilet access in trailers with no waiting. Comfortable lounge tent with AC, breakfast in the morning and snacks late at night. Private bar access (paid). Swimming pool with lounge area. The tents you sleep in are pretty roomy, have AC with comfy beds and linens. A few minor drawbacks - Safari area can be noisy, as I'm sure it is in regular camping. Generators running, people coming and going, and at 4 am they start loading up the food and stuff for breakfast so if you are anywhere near the food tent you'll need earplugs for sure.

The best thing about it is that you can walk out of your tent and be at any stage in approximately 5 minutes. They also have a 24 hour security and concierge if you need sunscreen, bandaids, water, advil, even someone to shop for you if you want booze or food. You can bring in your own drinks and snacks and your car is parked in an adjacent parking area that requires a special parking pass (included) so you can head out to get more supplies if you need.

El Dorado doesn't supply the Guest pass or the golf carting or the free food and water, lounge, pool, private showers/toilets, or A/C. If you have a friend or two to share the cost with I'd say it's worth it for sure. When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

oh if only i had the money...
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Thanks a lot for the response. It was very informative and I am almost positive I'm going to go with a Safari Tent for my first Coachella trip.

You will enjoy it. I would love to do it again in 2014 if the lineup is good and I can come up with the cash.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Fuck Safari. Get a regular ticket and camping and just buy me 700 beers instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Fuck Safari. Get a regular ticket and camping and just buy me 700 beers instead.
    Do you mean me, or would you rather have beers with Buckeye?

I don't believe they have 4 person eldorado tents this year.

Also I would look into the La Quinta hotel and suites for your group of 4. www.Valleymusictravel.com

Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post
    I don't believe they have 4 person eldorado tents this year.

Also I would look into the La Quinta hotel and suites for your group of 4. www.Valleymusictravel.com
    I stayed at my friends La Quinta suite for one night a couple years ago and it was pretty lame. The staff was rude as hell and kept telling us we were't even allowed to be outside after a certain point. Also for the amount my friend payed, the room definitely was not worth it.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

I struggle to think of a bigger festival related waste of money. You could do 5 other festivals with the money you'd save.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I've done Safari camping twice. The biggest perks of the Guest pass are: Guest viewing sections at the stages -lots of room, mostly unobstructed view if you show up in decent time for your set. Golf carts taking you back and forth from your tent that you can access behind the stage area- there is a walkway that will take you from Guest viewing to the rear transport area. You can head back to your tent between sets for water, sunscreen, a change of shirt or shoes, or to quickly freshen up. Or let's say, if you need to get from Mainstage to the Gobi quickly, this is a great benefit. Access to the Artists camping area, where you can enjoy free water, sometimes beer/snacks and loungy comfortable atmosphere with nice toilet trailers. Access to all VIP areas. Best features of Safari area are: Shower toilet access in trailers with no waiting. Comfortable lounge tent with AC, breakfast in the morning and snacks late at night. Private bar access (paid). Swimming pool with lounge area. The tents you sleep in are pretty roomy, have AC with comfy beds and linens. A few minor drawbacks - Safari area can be noisy, as I'm sure it is in regular camping. Generators running, people coming and going, and at 4 am they start loading up the food and stuff for breakfast so if you are anywhere near the food tent you'll need earplugs for sure.

>>Our tent was right next to the food tent and I slept like a baby (a highly-medicated baby, but a baby none the less).

As well, you will love the golf cart access from stage to stage -- you get to experience so many more acts without wasting time crisscrossing the fields.

The best thing about it is that you can walk out of your tent and be at any stage in approximately 5 minutes. They also have a 24 hour security and concierge if you need sunscreen, bandaids, water, advil, even someone to shop for you if you want booze or food. You can bring in your own drinks and snacks and your car is parked in an adjacent parking area that requires a special parking pass (included) so you can head out to get more supplies if you need.

El Dorado doesn't supply the Guest pass or the golf carting or the free food and water, lounge, pool, private showers/toilets, or A/C. If you have a friend or two to share the cost with I'd say it's worth it for sure. When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    That Girl, you did a great job summarizing the Safari Tents. You should work on commission :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I struggle to think of a bigger festival related waste of money. You could do 5 other festivals with the money you'd save.
    Listen to BritChris. Ideally, if there are other festivals you are viewing, then why not just look at regular GA? If camping is not your thing, then get a hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

When you consider what a hotel package costs with VIP there really isn't that big of a difference in the price.
    WTMF?

You can get a hotel package at a four-star resort (with shuttle and VIP wristbands) for two people for less than $3,000. The price of a Safari Tent is $6,500. In what fucked up financial world or economy is $3,500 not 'that big of a difference in price'?
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I think she's thinking in terms of Canadien dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Didn't know that poster was a Canuck. That explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Didn't know that poster was a Canuck. That explains a lot.
    Not everyone can be from Baltimore.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Not everyone can be from Baltimore.
    if only they could, GPS, if only they could ...

WTMF?

You can get a hotel package at a four-star resort (with shuttle and VIP wristbands) for two people for less than $3,000. The price of a Safari Tent is $6,500. In what fucked up financial world or economy is $3,500 not 'that big of a difference in price'?
    If you have 4 in your group, it splits a bit better $9,500/4 = $2,375 each

WTMF?

You split it with people and it lessens the cost obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha99 View Post
    That Girl, you did a great job summarizing the Safari Tents. You should work on commission :-)
    Why didn't we meet last year, tenting so close? We had some nice bulb lights draped on our tent and windmill style flowers in the planters out front. We were right behind the Lounge tent and it was noisy as fuck. I will request a better placement for next time.

Obviously.

Why didn't we meet last year, tenting so close? We had some nice bulb lights draped on our tent and windmill style flowers in the planters out front. We were right behind the Lounge tent and it was noisy as fuck. I will request a better placement for next time.
    I am going to check my pics to see if your tent is in them. Our tent was the first one to the right of the main entrance of the food tent. It was our first year in Safari, so we had no idea we could bring decorations for our tent...

Will you be in a Safari tent this year? If so, we should meet up for pre-show beverages and edibles :-)
    Last edited by Buddha99; 11-18-2013 at 05:23 AM.

The one item you neglected to mention that my group appreciated - scheduled massages!

I am going to check my pics to see if your tent is in them. Our tent was the first one to the right of the main entrance of the food tent. It was our first year in Safari, so we had no idea we could bring decorations for our tent...

Will you be in a Safari tent this year? If so, we should meet up for pre-show beverages and edibles :-)
    Not sure yet but if we go I'll let you know! We were right behind the food tent at the left side.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I struggle to think of a bigger festival related waste of money.
    I could argue that the Safari tent offers more "value" per dollar spent than the $700 VIP Coachella pass with minimal perks you share with 10,000 others.

Not sure yet but if we go I'll let you know! We were right behind the food tent at the left side.
    Please drop me a PM if you decide to go. From reading your posts, you present yourself to be pretty cool...

Please drop me a PM if you decide to go. From reading your posts, you present yourself to be pretty cool...
    For sure I'll let you know! Would be great to meet up!

The one item you neglected to mention that my group appreciated - scheduled massages!
    For $6000 it better include happy endings
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor