Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primavera 2014

Default Re: Primavera 2014

Everyone swears by the urbany, which is central and has a pool and nice rooftop lounge. I have a private dorm at a less popular but closer Hostal Athenas, which I scored for €190 for 5 nights.

For Porto, I have a room at a 4 star hotel that the festival crew stays at and it is only $72 a night. May have to switch to a hostel to save $$ but I hope not!
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The ins and outs come in really handy as there is a really good tapas bar that not many know about just opposite the venue (but not in the direction the crowds come from).

VIP is worth it if you drink a lot, and is not sold out.

http://www.seetickets.com/event/prim...-forum/716035/
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I thought VIP always sold out within an hour and in July.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

They did some at 150 and they sold out straight away. Now they have more at 250 and you get some other shizzle (welcome pack etc) - plus they have a whole new VIP area to fill.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Never heard 'em. But based on the board members who are really excited about them... pretty sure I don't like em.
    Haha. If you can set aside your prejudice you might actually like them.
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Looking into going as this has been one of the only Euro fests that I am blown away by year after year. From the east coast plane tickets are looking like 1050 at a minimum. Out of curiousity, what are most of you west coasters paying for airfare?

Maybe you could type in sf on a travel site.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

norwegian air is the cheapest airline I've found.

These are the prices I got when checking last week from LAX (I'm considering multiple options, such as Amsterdam or London before Primavera or both Primavera and Optimus):

LAX->AMS 5/21 $368.60
    LAX->BCN 5/27 $434.90
    BCN->LAX 6/2 $529.30
    BCN->LAX 6/4 $482.60
    BCN->LAX 6/9 $577.30
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-29-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kneuller View Post
    Looking into going as this has been one of the only Euro fests that I am blown away by year after year. From the east coast plane tickets are looking like 1050 at a minimum. Out of curiousity, what are most of you west coasters paying for airfare?
    West coast was about that much last year, maybe a bit more. Have you checked multiple airports in your region? There has to be something under $1000.

To channel my inner Bumblebee, here's some official numbers regarding attendance..

2013:
    The Barcelona event once again broke its own record in reaching an attendance of 170,000 counting the four days in the
    Parc del F˛rum and the activities in the framework of Primavera a la Ciutat.
    2011:
    The eleventh edition of Primavera Sound broke a new record and brought together more than 120,000 assistants at the
    Parc del F˛rum. On Thursday 26th of May nearly 39,500 people gathered for the musical event, while on Friday 27th the
    attendance rose up to 43,800. On Saturday 28th of May the festival received over 40.000 spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    Maybe you could type in sf on a travel site.
    Haha I mostly just asked that to see if I would get an actual response or a gtfo lmgtfy response.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Reporters need to stop adding up the number of attendees each day. It's a garbage number that doesn't mean anything anyone wants to know about.

I'm seriously considering going this year. It looks way too incredible to pass up. Also way spendy. Been lusting over the line-up since it came out. I gotta.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Reporters need to stop adding up the number of attendees each day. It's a garbage number that doesn't mean anything anyone wants to know about.
    Yea, and in this case, it's a little confusing/misleading, since it seems like 20K of those were Thursday show attendees. I'm 99% certain attendance was capped at 50K per day last year. That seems a reasonable size to me given the size of Parc del Forum.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Sounds about right to me.

Slowdive and Television put Primavera ahead of Coachella. And did Coachella balk at paying Kendrick Lamar to travel from LA? Plus we've got a bunch of tired old fucks in the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. They've the Sun Ra Arkestra landing on one of their infrequent trips from Saturn. I wept when I saw the Primavera lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by philabuster View Post
    Slowdive and Television put Primavera ahead of Coachella. And did Coachella balk at paying Kendrick Lamar to travel from LA? Plus we've got a bunch of tired old fucks in the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. They've the Sun Ra Arkestra landing on one of their infrequent trips from Saturn. I wept when I saw the Primavera lineup.
    I didn't want to say it, but you did. My sentiments exactly. I may just have to start saving my pennies and look to satisfy my musical cravings for this. I feel like other places are doing it right, for a much more cultural value (which I value) than we do stateside. And oooh, I get really hot and bothered thinking about all those beautiful dark and handsome spanish speaking men.... vs. socal frat kids. smh.

old school

Bought festival passes earlier today.

I'm staying with a friend for an extra week and currently planning all the non-festival days in nearby cities.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 01-30-2014 at 09:45 PM.

I'm currently studying abroad in Morocco so I really want to make the ferry ride over to Primavera!

No one has mentioned one of the biggest gets on this thing, Caetano Veloso. Fucking jealous of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Does anyone know if the pre-festival shows on the 27th/28th etc. are included with a GA pass? Wouldn't hate catching Jamie XX and Friends on the 28th.

Ellsworth: Apparently they are

Anyone have an opinion on spending non-festival time in Porto vs Barcelona? I'm thinking I'll hit up both if Porto's lineup appeals(it's hard to imagine it won't, and as it has been stated it'll be nice to have the fear of crossover alleviated)

I'd say Barcelona if you have never been. Barcelona is a much bigger city then Porto and has a lot more sights, restaurants, and museums which could keep you busy for a week or more easily. Porto is very laidback but has lots of charm. The port wine caves was fun as was getting lost walking around the old town. Found the food to be great as well but a few dedicated days of sightseeing should be sufficient (note: the wine caves and old town are in a different part of the city from the festival which is closer to the beach).

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    Ellsworth: Apparently they are

Anyone have an opinion on spending non-festival time in Porto vs Barcelona? I'm thinking I'll hit up both if Porto's lineup appeals(it's hard to imagine it won't, and as it has been stated it'll be nice to have the fear of crossover alleviated)
    Go to Barcelona, and then spend the extra money that would go to a trip to Porto on seeing a few other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
    Does anyone know if the pre-festival shows on the 27th/28th etc. are included with a GA pass? Wouldn't hate catching Jamie XX and Friends on the 28th.
    They all should be. Check their site, and there probably are specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Go to Barcelona, and then spend the extra money that would go to a trip to Porto on seeing a few other countries.
    The cost of the festival ticket, transportation to Porto from Barcelona (can be less then $100 if you book early on Ryanair), and accommodations won't save you enough to visit multiple countries. Also, Portugal is really cheap once you are there and definitely worth visiting. However I would make an effort to go to Lisbon as well and if you have time, some of the many beaches in between. In my opinion, Portugal as a whole was great rather then the individual cities. One idea would be to skip the Porto Festival and use that time and some of your non-festival time to explore the country.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 02-01-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Book with Tap rather than Ryanair - don't charge extra for luggage, and you end up on a plane full of people in bands playing both fests.

The shows on Wed will be free, but you had to apply for tickets through the portal last year, as the venue capacity is obviously a fraction of the festival capacity. Also, even with a ticket, it is one in one out (as there are more free tickets than capacity). If you really want to see someone, get down early with a ticket. DO NOT MISS PAUS.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    The cost of the festival ticket, transportation to Porto from Barcelona (can be less then $100 if you book early on Ryanair), and accommodations won't save you enough to visit multiple countries. Also, Portugal is really cheap once you are there and definitely worth visiting. However I would make an effort to go to Lisbon as well and if you have time, some of the many beaches in between. In my opinion, Portugal as a whole was great rather then the individual cities. One idea would be to skip the Porto Festival and use that time and some of your non-festival time to explore the country.
    Ive been, to Portugal and Lisbon, yes its cheap. But when you have a city like Paris, London or Rome at your fingertips, you dont knwo when youll ever be back, so might as well take advantage. And sure, if you stayed in the county, Madrid and the rest of spain has a lot to offer.

Paris, London, and Rome are much more accessible and easier to travel to and around when older. Portugal is a little more out of the way and with the hills and transportation, it'd better to see when younger. Just my opinion unless this is a one off trip - I would explore a major city in that case.

This travel talk is making me restless...

I'm just trying to fit the travel in between festivals(as I have a puny amount of PTO relative to the number of fests I'd like to attend), so I don't think I'll be doing much traveling outside of the two cities; I doubt there'd be enough time to do anything significant, and if I opt of out Porto I'll probably use the extra days to attend ATP Iceland in July(Or wherever else one my crop up).

There will be an ATP in London, so there's always that.