Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I really liked Hercules and Love Affair's new one on my first listen. Thanks for reminding me to return to it.
    It's certainly much better than Blue Songs, but not as good as the s/t; it's pleasant enough as I'm listening, but it's not an album which is compelling me to return to it often.

I'm also not terribly thrilled with the new Fresh & Only's, House of Spirits, as I just find it very uneven. I'm really liking "Bells of Paonia," and "Candy"-->"Madness" which closes out the album are really strong, but the others feel like uninspired versions of songs from their previous albums.
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 06-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.

I have listened to way more music in the firs t6 months of the year this year than I have for years. I attribute this to 1) Spotify and 2) that this is a crazy good year for new releases.

I am loving the Parquet Courts and Plaid CDs.

I had always heard about Andrew jackson Jihad, but never hear their music until this year, and I am fairly hooked. I love me some short poppy songs. Just enough twee-ish, not too Omaha emo.

This Cheatahs album isn't holding up as much as I had hoped it would a few months ago.

Most Messed Up is easily the best Old 97s album sine Too Far To Care. This makes me exceptionally happy. My main problem with all of the albums since TFTC has been the mix and/or mastering of the albums. The first two songs on Messed Up suffer from this problem, too (vox way too up front, an instrument mix that sounds less like a live room than TFTC or WYL). By the third track, the mix feels a little better.

Off! is Off! is Off! which is good(!)
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Bob Mould's new one, Beauty & Rain, is great! I don't have much else to say about it.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Sea Wolf's fourth album, was founded by a kick starter campaign.... it will be available for free via website download, date TBA... Hopefully before August. It's supposed to be more raw and experimental, like their early days.
    I've stumbled upon some random B-side gems, though!

These guys are something else....been on repeat for the past couple weeks

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I just got around listening to this track with Dan the Automator and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Can't wait to hear the full length next month...

https://soundcloud.com/bulk-recordin...ve-44k/s-NXrwx

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Thank goodness, I was getting worried about you
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Bob Mould's new one, Beauty & Rain, is great! I don't have much else to say about it.
    Yeah! One of the year's best it seems, after first listen. Kid with the Crooked Face is so good.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but The Brian Jonestown Massacre's Revelation is absolutely atrocious garbage. "Memorymix" is the only track that I could stand to listen to again, and it's only alright.
    BJM's Revelation is taking what they have done more recently with experimental albums; My Bloody Underground, Who Killed STG. Pepper? and at some points using some of the odd instruments from Aufheben and making it more coherent than these previous albums as maybe using their older material as a guide. My favorite from this album on a first listen is Food for Cloud.It's not a abomination if anything progression for Brian Jonestown Massacres discography.
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Friday And Saturday only
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

If Revelation was released by any new band it would be tossed aside as useless puff that tries too hard to capture some of the more interesting aspects of the 90s psychedelia revival movement. And would have a chuckle at how silly the eastern elements of the album sound, in particular how desperate this inclusion wants to be taken seriously.

Well I guess that's not entirely fair. We are in an era of celebrating absolutely mediocre psychadelic revivalist albums.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-03-2014 at 08:12 PM.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    The new Fucked Up album Glass Boys is a beast. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of David Comes to Life, so my expectations were lowered for this new one, but it surpassed them by lightyears. This album is nearly on par with The Chemistry of Common life, and I'll be damned if "The Art of Patrons" isn't one of the best damn songs of the year.
    Wow, you were not kidding! I loved David Comes To Life, but this new one is absolutely amazing!
    last.fm

Priests are a Washington, DC-based, female-fronted punk band, and their new EP Bodies and Control and Money and Power is a loud, thrashing, and fucking awesome trip to the late 70s/early 80s. It's 7 tracks in 17 minutes and it's quite blistering.

EDIT: Upon further listening, I hear a lot of Sleater-Kinney influence as well.

Also, the new Godflesh EP Decline and Fall does not disappoint at all. It goes back further than where the band ended up just prior to Jesu, and get really heavy and dirty. I regret having not gone to their recent show.

The whole thing can be streamed and purchased directly from the band: http://godflesh1.bandcamp.com/releases
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-06-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    last.fm

I first heard that priests song on All Songs Considered last week, but since I was driving around with sleeping kids, I was listening at apretty low volume and heard it as "You put your penis in other people's mouths all day... go to a doctor!" The lyric "swallow it up!" only supported this mis-hearing of the chorus
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I first heard that priests song on All Songs Considered last week, but since I was driving around with sleeping kids, I was listening at apretty low volume and heard it as "You put your penis in other people's mouths all day... go to a doctor!" The lyric "swallow it up!" only supported this mis-hearing of the chorus
    hahaha that actually isn't that far off, as I listen again. I just randomly downloaded that record from somewhere, but it's really great. Gonna try to see them in the next week or two.

With Want, Wreck and Reference are continuing to make some of the most interesting heavy music currently coming out. They mostly are categorized as drone / doom, but they experiment with sounds and song structure so much that I would have a very hard time placing them into any kind of genre. The music is continually very interesting, and even with so much experimentation, it's still quite listenable.

Pitchfork has it streaming now: http://pitchfork.com/advance/458-want/
    last.fm

New Kasabian album has been on repeat all week. Highly recommend checking it out if that's your thing.

Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Sweet jumping jesus on a pogo stick I like the new Orwells album on my first listen today. The biggest bummer is I'm not their age listening to this album.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival Friday And Saturday only
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

The new Bob Mould album kicks ass. Beauty & Ruin has got all the guitar riffs you could ask for.

The new Kasabian record 48:13 fucking blows my mind. The sounds of Bumblebee are all over the place but that is this songs greatest strength along with it's loud explosiveness. Stevie and Doomsday send you soaring off on a high speed chase. I like the Sergio driven Glass, it's a lot better than most the songs he listens to and way more hypnotic. Eez-eh is an animal of a song, which is followed by Bow which combines the indie rock sound from 20 years ago with the sounds of today. S.P.S reminds me of something Oasis would do. Great album
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

^ Thank you for putting it into words that I couldn't . Just got my tix for The Wiltern.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

The new album from The Roots is pretty bad...especially given how great How I Got Over and even Undun were. But this just feels like a series of intro skits that never goes anywhere. Not good.

Popstrangers, on the other hand, have put out their second really solid album in as many years. I don't like this one quite as much as their debut, but it's still really good.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I blame Jimmy Fallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

So after one listen I am pretty comfortable saying Lazaretto is a definite disappointment. I liked Blunderbuss but felt like it was missing the dirt and grime and the flair Jack White has become known for. I got pretty excited after he released the instrumental track, "High Ball Stepper," as the first preview of the album because it contained what I felt Blunderbuss was missing. Unfortunately, "High Ball Stepper" is the best song on the album. Maybe my opinion will change after a few listens, but White sounds unfocused on Lazaretto. This seems more like a highly-produced demo of where he wants his music to go in the future, as opposed to fully thought out album. Or, maybe my hopes were too high and I need to listen to it a second time with more grounded expectations.

The new First Aid Kit, however, is wonderful. While nothing groundbreaking and certainly not something you haven't heard before, they deliver on exactly what they promise - beautifully crafted folk-pop songs with catchy melodies and gorgeous harmonies. Highly recommended.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I have listened to way more music in the firs t6 months of the year this year than I have for years. I attribute this to 1) Spotify and 2) that this is a crazy good year for new releases.
    I listen to so many more new releases thanks to Spotify. And yeah, this has been a strong year thus far!

I had always heard about Andrew jackson Jihad, but never hear their music until this year, and I am fairly hooked. I love me some short poppy songs. Just enough twee-ish, not too Omaha emo.
    Andrew Jackson Jihad are great! I am glad they are getting exposure outside of Phoenix. They have been playing tiny venues in PHX for ever and have always been fantastic live.

Most Messed Up is easily the best Old 97s album sine Too Far To Care. This makes me exceptionally happy. My main problem with all of the albums since TFTC has been the mix and/or mastering of the albums. The first two songs on Messed Up suffer from this problem, too (vox way too up front, an instrument mix that sounds less like a live room than TFTC or WYL). By the third track, the mix feels a little better.
    I probably should try again. I might skip the first two tracks next time, to see if it comes off any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Really digging the new Death Grips so far. "Black Quarterback" and "Say Hey Kid" are especially killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Really digging the new Death Grips so far. "Black Quarterback" and "Say Hey Kid" are especially killer.
    have a sad cum bb

As crazy and fun as their FYF set was last year, I just can't do Death Grips on albums. It's too much.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Aw I love the new Death Grips. I wasn't that big of a fan of Government Plates, because to me that one seemed like it was pure experimentation, but this one was really fleshed out.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I wasn't that big of a fan of Government Plates, because to me that one seemed like it was pure experimentation, but this one was really fleshed out.
    That's exactly how I feel. It was cool for being a Death Grips album, but I just couldn't get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Sure it's not an album, but the collection of Songs: Ohia 7" released awhile back, Journey On, is beyond killer. By the 3rd single Molina's got his craft finely tuned, but the first two tracks are interesting for how lo-fi and goofy they are. For the most part they're toss-offs, but there are moments where he opens his voice up and lets loose, and those get to a very memorable point. It's fun to listen to him develop so quickly in such a short amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Oh, and I've given it five listens now and I can definitely say that the new Fucked Up is excellent. My first listen, through the stream, was a disappointment almost exclusively because the lack of a strong low-end presence. Thankfully, the album doesn't have any such problem, and the songs thrive on that pounding drum track many times. I like how much more texture Mike's added to these songs, and also how much more concise they are here. It's not a grand step forward like The Chemistry of Common Life, but it is a good band doing what they do very well. It'll be up there in the higher realms of my favorites this year.

That said, I think I'll probably be listening to Ought's debut quite a bit more. These guys just hit so many pleasure points for me. The first track made me think I was listening to Giddy Motors, which got me so excited that I actually listened to Giddy Motors instead. When I rejoined Ought, I heard Television Personalities, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Television, Shellac, Quicksilver Messenger Service and a whole lot of other great guitar bands, but most of all I heard Ought coming through each song, forcing their personality onto these iconic styles. They could easily Art Brut-out and become a watered-down revival act, but these guys show enough talent here to have me intersted.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That said, I think I'll probably be listening to Ought's debut quite a bit more. These guys just hit so many pleasure points for me. The first track made me think I was listening to Giddy Motors, which got me so excited that I actually listened to Giddy Motors instead. When I rejoined Ought, I heard Television Personalities, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Television, Shellac, Quicksilver Messenger Service and a whole lot of other great guitar bands, but most of all I heard Ought coming through each song, forcing their personality onto these iconic styles. They could easily Art Brut-out and become a watered-down revival act, but these guys show enough talent here to have me intersted.
    This is spot on. I almost wrote a similar comment and would have mentioned Talking Heads, Television and the Fall.

Though my real take away is that I should listen to some Giddy Motors and more Television Personalities and Quicksilver Messenger Service.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.