Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 880

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

  1. #31
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,967

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I'm enjoying the new Mogwai much more than their last two releases. Really loving the fuzz and electronic aspects of the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

  2. #32
    Coachella Junkie Sushov23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,978

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I didn't like it very much, either. Will not be on heavy rotation.
    I loved the first two listens of the record last Friday/Saturday, but in the time since I'm not as enamored with the record. I've listened to it a good ten times, and it's solid but not as great as I initially thought. Maybe I've listened to it too much in a week?

  3. #33
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    20,007

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I'm enjoying the new Mogwai much more than their last two releases. Really loving the fuzz and electronic aspects of the record.
    I don't care much for post-rock that has electronic elements, so this direction was kind of where I've been afraid they'd go.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  4. #34
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I enjoy the second half of the album much more than the first half. Overall, it doesn't do a ton for me. I'm still excited to see them again live, though. And put me in the category of people who don't like Mogwai's use of electronic elements in this album.

  5. #35
    Coachella Junkie Sushov23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,978

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I enjoy the second half of the album much more than the first half. Overall, it doesn't do a ton for me. I'm still excited to see them again live, though. And put me in the category of people who don't like Mogwai's use of electronic elements in this album.
    I liked the use of electronic elements at first, but now it's a distraction for me. I'm still excited to see them when they tour. I've had tickets to see them three different times, and something always came up.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    The new Actress LP is very great. Very mellow, gentle, often staticy, nice to just relax to. Apparently it's a 3 LP but it's just over 75 mins. Goes by nicely.

  7. #37
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,758

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I think Mogwai needed a new direction because their work has gone stale the past few releases. But how has is worked out? Need some more listens.

    New Dum Dum Girls is sadly unremarkable.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

  8. #38
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    19,967

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I think Mogwai needed a new direction because their work has gone stale the past few releases. But how has is worked out? Need some more listens
    This is the most accurate assessment I've heard of the the band in their present state.

    EDIT* I harp on this a lot... but I love it when bands alter their sound for better or for worse.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 12-29-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

  9. #39
    Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    14,831

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I'll echo the stale statement. I've only had a chance to listen to it twice but I have a good impression of rave tapes so far. It's their most adventurous album in a long time.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    The upcoming collab by Sean McCann and Maxwell August Croy (of En) is sounding quite lovely from the tracks released so far.

    http://studentsofdecay.com/post/7165...-sean-mccann-i

  11. #41
    Member dillycup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    yes yes yes

  12. #42
    Member JelloPuddingChat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I'm digging Rave Tapes. There's a well throughout cohesiveness/atmosphere tying the songs together. Deesh into Blues Hour is an awesome back to back. The thundering drums on Deesh, fuck yes. It was a good decision to ease us in with the synths through the first 3 tracks. The directional change during Remurdered did feel a bit overbearing at first but I'm getting used to it. A solid album after 3 spins.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

  13. #43
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Super solid effort by Stephen Malkmus again Why aren’t you listening to this already

    Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks free album stream: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1001922841

    9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

  14. #44
    Member JelloPuddingChat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Gonna get around to that. I wanna hear the new Angel Olsen as well. I really liked her single.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

  15. #45
    old school casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    2,669

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Stephen Malkmus' Wig Out At Jagbags is a solid release, and seems like a continuation of Mirror Traffic in a lot of ways with the short songs (two are even under 2 minutes).

    I do miss jammy Malkmus and wish he would return to Real Emotional Trash style albums, and I do miss hearing Janet Weiss' drumming on record, but this is a decent release to start 2014. Fun & poppy, good guitar work, and even some horns! Typical Malkmus with a few surprises to keep it interesting.

    Independence Street, J Smoov, and Cinnamon & Lesbians are my favorite tracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

  16. #46
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,921

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    The new Actress LP is very great. Very mellow, gentle, often staticy, nice to just relax to. Apparently it's a 3 LP but it's just over 75 mins. Goes by nicely.
    I'm loving it as well; it sort of splits the difference between Splazsh and R.I.P., and tracks like "Image" and "Rap" sound almost like vaporwave tracks. If this really is his last album under the Actress name it's a really strong one to go out on.

  17. #47
    Member CuervoPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,199

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Stephen Malkmus' Wig Out At Jagbags is a solid release, and seems like a continuation of Mirror Traffic in a lot of ways with the short songs (two are even under 2 minutes).

    I do miss jammy Malkmus and wish he would return to Real Emotional Trash style albums, and I do miss hearing Janet Weiss' drumming on record, but this is a decent release to start 2014. Fun & poppy, good guitar work, and even some horns! Typical Malkmus with a few surprises to keep it interesting.

    Independence Street, J Smoov, and Cinnamon & Lesbians are my favorite tracks.
    Really enjoying this one as well, and I'd add Lariat to my favorite tracks for the line about 80's music. This probably comes from being two years younger than Malkmus.

    I'll have to find a good rip of the Actress album. Interested in that one as well.

  18. #48
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    20,007

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    I listened to the Malkmus record today and wasn't too hot on it after a first listen.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  19. #49
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,378

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Is ? ever coming back?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  20. #50
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,239

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    They're under a DDoS attack right now. No telling when they'll be back.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  21. #51
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,758

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    The new cibo matto sounds pretty damn awesome after four listens.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

  22. #52
    Member JelloPuddingChat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    1,300

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    The Malkmus is ok. Some cool guitar lines. Certain melodies grow on you. Overall it doesn't grab my attention much. Lariat and J Smoov are cool.

    I'm digging the Angel Olsen album a lot. Her voice aches sucks me in. She comes across with some genuine heart ache. Nice mix between the folky and rock tracks. Maybe give it some spins before you judge because I can see how it could come across as a run of the mill indie/folk album. I feel she deserves better.

    I only heard Ghettoville once but that shit is dope. Especially the shorter tracks. It's eerie/dark and it warms up and becomes really beautiful at times, like Gaze. I like the variety.

  23. #53
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,286

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Yeah, Ghettoville started out sort of slow for me and then boy, did it pick up. Skyline's the standout track for me.

    I could not get through a full listen of the Painted Palms album -- sounded like an adult contemporary Animal Collective tribute.

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  24. #54
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,286

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Did the new Silver Mt Zion leak yet? I've been not paying much attention to such things for the past few weeks.

    edit: 12 seconds of effort says "no".
    Now it has!

    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  25. #55
    old school Neutral Milk Hotel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,643

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Not super stoked on this Malkmus album. To me it's his first solo album that doesn't deviate from its predecessor in interesting ways. This is safely in the same lane as Mirror Traffic, only a little less memorable. It's goofier than that album, but you knew that from the title.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

    1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall




    www.facebook.com/mlingo

    http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

  26. #56
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Is ? ever coming back?
    sites back up, tracker should be up today hopefully

  27. #57
    old school casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    2,669

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    Not super stoked on this Malkmus album. To me it's his first solo album that doesn't deviate from its predecessor in interesting ways. This is safely in the same lane as Mirror Traffic, only a little less memorable. It's goofier than that album, but you knew that from the title.
    Totally understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't suggest that this should be anyone's first foray into his body of work, it's low on my rank of his albums. There's just something about his guitar though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

  28. #58
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,378

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Just finished Alcest's Shelter. Wow, just incredibly gorgeous stuff, one of the best shoegaze albums I've heard in some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  29. #59

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Is ? ever coming back?
    The longer this goes on and the more times it happens, the more I wonder. DDOS is basically a giant bandwidth hog and it is costing the site a ton of money. If they called it quits I would be sad but wouldn't blame them.

  30. #60
    old school Spooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

    Nice way to start off the year!

    New Liars:

    New Kevin Drew!!!
    https://soundcloud.com/artsandcrafts...drew-good-sex/

    pre-order: http://www.galleryac.com/kevindrew/index2.php

    9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace


    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Similar Threads

  1. Tell Us About 2013 Releases
    By TallGuyCM in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 2107
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM
  2. Boards of Canada 2014, secret Record Store day releases
    By |\| | |/| in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
  3. Tell Us About 2013 Releases
    By Spooks in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 03:56 AM
  4. Nike+ releases
    By bmack86 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
  5. New Album Releases?
    By flickfan82x in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 01:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •