Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

if you're into power pop with a little fuzz to it, check out Tony Molina's 'Dissed and Dismissed'

Petit Cochon by Prostitutes is a really excellent electronic/industrial sort of album...would actually be a much more fitting opening act for Ben Frost than Tim Hecker is (although obviously no one's complaining). The album's not nearly as aggressive as Frost's latest, and not as effective, but is still real good.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I've enjoyed everything I've heard from him, and he tends to open for most of the techno shows that rarely happen in Cleveland. Usually short sets but really enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    MC Taylor is definitely my favorite guy making music right now. I first saw him live at Hopscotch 2 years ago and it was an eye opener. The album is very good, a few of the slower tracks didn't really click for me yet but I'm sure with more listens (and more attention to the lyrics) they will reveal themselves.

Double album from Mono next month You can check out the new song here: https://soundcloud.com/temporary-res...where-we-begin

Pre-order: http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr242

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/26 Joris Voorn @ Output
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp
    11/30 Run the Jewels @ Stage 48

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    The debut self-titled from Royal Blood is a really solid record to enjoy. For it being just 2 guys they do a good job of looping the bass to mimic guitar sounds that generate heavy riffs. Songs like Out of the Black and Figure it Out are very mainstream friendly that mimic Queens of the Stone Age, Local H, and Jack White. I wouldn't call it a mind blowing record but Little Monster is an example of them busting out the loud grooves and making it sound like there's more than 2 people performing.
    This album is solid. It's such a great sound from start to finish. Adding it to my daily listen for a few weeks.
    The Black Keys - November 3 - Oracle Arena
    Nahko and Medicine for the People - December 11 - The Catalyst
    SnowGlobe Music Festival - December 29-31 - South Lake Tahoe
    Coachella - April 17-20 - Polo Fields
    California Roots - May 22-24 - TBD

14' WK2.

I should try to listen to Royal Blood again I take it because I couldn't even finish a song.

I really like the new Death From Above 1979 album with Virgins being my favorite off my first listen. I also listened to half of the new Ryan Adam - s/t which My wrecking ball being the only song that really stood out to me. I'm aout to check out this Afrobeat psych band out called Red Snapper new released called "Hyena".
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Fuck. The Physical World is SO good. I mean... I am a bit biased because of my long love for the band, but part of me was really expecting to be let down by this album, and "Trainwreck 1979" only made the fears worse. But this album is just a seething beast. Off my first listen "Right On, Frankenstein!" is my favourite, but aside from "Trankwreck" and "White is Red," every damn song could be my favourite at this point. And those two songs I mentioned aren't even bad... they just aren't up the par with the rest of the album.

I will be the first to say this isn't as monstrous of an album as You're A Woman... and sure, there is no track as good as "Romantic Rights," but goddammit this album fucking slays.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I keep hearing all these positive reviews about the new Interpol record. After one spin it's surely far more listenable than that awful last record, but seems equally soulless. This is a band that really needs hooks in their songs, and just like the last one they're not there for the most part. Nothing anywhere as substantial as even Pioneer to the Falls or No I in Threesome from their third album.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Man, that Blonde Redhead album is disappointing. It shouldn't really surprise me since I only got into them around 23 and that is still really their only album that I like.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Fuck. The Physical World is SO good. I mean... I am a bit biased because of my long love for the band, but part of me was really expecting to be let down by this album, and "Trainwreck 1979" only made the fears worse. But this album is just a seething beast. Off my first listen "Right On, Frankenstein!" is my favourite, but aside from "Trankwreck" and "White is Red," every damn song could be my favourite at this point. And those two songs I mentioned aren't even bad... they just aren't up the par with the rest of the album.

I will be the first to say this isn't as monstrous of an album as You're A Woman... and sure, there is no track as good as "Romantic Rights," but goddammit this album fucking slays.
    "Nothin Left" and "Gemini" have been the standouts for me through a couple listens. This is much more than I expected. "White is Red" did catch me by surprise the first time and it felt out of place, but I'm glad they decided to expand way outside their comfort zone on that one.
    10/24-10/26 - Life is Beautiful
    11/10 - Death From Above 1979

Only listened to it once so far, but I really dug the new DFA. I was also initially worried after hearing Trainwreck, but I thought that song was fine in the context of the album. Gonna be spinning it a lot.

If you like Tame Impala but wished they were a little more fierce and scuzzy, check out Wand's excellent debut Ganglion Reef. I've come to grips with the fact that blatantly derivative psychedelia is here to stay for now, so if you're onboard with that way of thinking and like the genre in general you'll really enjoy this.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I like Trainwreck quite a bit, but it's also probably my least favorite song on the album. That said, what a bummer for these guys to release a raw, elemental rock record weeks before the new Shellac album drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was almost expecting to be disappointed with the new DFA79 record, since records after reunions are often not very good. But god damn, this thing is really good so far. Not as raw as their first, but these guys still know how to write a killer hook.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    if you're into power pop with a little fuzz to it, check out Tony Molina's 'Dissed and Dismissed'
    Rly rly fun album.
    Also the "World Music" album by Ahnnu that came out a few months ago is prime fair for those who love "The Caretaker" I would imagine.

^ I think that Ahnnu album came out at the tail end of 2013, but I agree that it's a really interesting and engaging listen - I can't believe how much gets packed into such a short space!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Ahh my b. band camp said April but I forget that is usually wrong. But yeah really unique album for sure.

Also I can't really stop spinning that Moodyman record from this year, it's got some corny parts and skip able sections but the grooves are undeniably groovy

And the Kassem Mosse album is particularly mesmerizing. Reminds me a small bit of Aphex Twin at points, and like Daniel Avery at others, really just in its own world.
    Last edited by cansei de ser sexme; 09-04-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Wasn't all that impressed by The Rentals' album. Some good songs, but more meh than good. If we're making totally uncalled for rankings, I'd rank it below The Green Album and even the unfairly maligned Maladroit. It's better than any other post-Sharp Weezer record though.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Now that you mention it, there's been like 3 really good Weezer songs since 2005, 2 ok ones and then the rest being what happened
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

I mean, some of their recent stuff is catchy, thats about it. Theyre like potatoe chips.

never cared for Morrissey much, undoubtedly due to dramatic suffering with the Smiths involving carpooling as a teen, but his latest World Peace is pretty interesting through the first eight tracks. The musicianship with the flamenco guitar, lyrical subject matter, and nice mix of harder hitting rock songs. 'Neal Cassidy Dead/Ginsberg Reaction' is hilarious. Not going to look further into his back catalog, at least I hope I'm not, as it's too extensive and I'm sure very similar to this output anyway but who knows?

Fourthing or Fithing the Ty Segall Manipulator album endorsement. Haven't heard anything as sexy in a while. I know it's kinda retro-y Bowie/Trex/hints of Supergrass, but 'The Singer'. Oh my, how the angels fell down. Beady Eye, that terrible Oasis band offshoot, would kill to be able to write a song like 'The Faker' now.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Death From Above 1979 have proven they can write more than one fucking awesome record. Right On, Frankenstein is one of my favorite tracks, while Cheap Talk opens up this album just as I was hoping. Crystall Ball and Trainwreck 1979 have killer verses as well which helps cement this as an album to truly admire
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Death From Above 1979 have proven they can write more than one fucking awesome record. Right On, Frankenstein is one of my favorite tracks, while Cheap Talk opens up this album just as I was hoping. Crystall Ball and Trainwreck 1979 have killer verses as well which helps cement this as an album to truly admire
    Yeah. Completely taken aback by how absolutely great the new record is. I should have known those smug Canadian fucks would know better than to ease up on the throttle.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm pretty much their biggest fan I know and even I am stunned at how great the new record is. The songs have already begun to lodge themselves in my head. I don't think they will ever be able to top You're A Woman, in my opinion, but I don't think anyone was asking them too. All everyone wanted was a kick ass record and that is exactly what they delivered.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Just pre ordered the DFA album
    It's so good !!!!!

I've been really enjoying Adult Jazz's Gist Is - it's one of the best debut albums I've heard this year (very fully-realized and a sound which is very much their own), and if you're a fan of Dirty Projectors, Wild Beasts, early Grizzly Bear, etc. you'll find a lot to like here.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Just listened to Karen O's solo album, I gotta say it's rather disappointing. I was not expecting it to sound like a YYY's album, because without Nick and Brian how could it? But I was expecting something more than what it is. She's a great vocalist but that's all the album has. Other than her vocals it's acoustic guitar (and not very interesting acoustic guitar) and... nothing else. Add to that that it sounds like it was recorded on a phone and it just left me pretty cold. I think I'll feel pretty comfortable skipping her tour.

The new SBTRKT is pretty forgettable upon first listen minus a track or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?