Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Kitten's self-titled debut has a lot of gloss to it but I like the mixture of that Prince/Janet Jackson/Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis R&B with the more standard new wave. "Devotion" is my personal favorite, I could play that for days.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    Jenny Lewis' The Voyager has been fantastic two listens through. I've never been a fan of Rilo Kiley and I always thought her previous solo material was decent at best, but this is much more engaging. It's filled with lots of great melodies, a few guitar solos, and quality production on the part of Ryan Adams. I'll definitely be coming back to this one in the coming weeks.
    Yeah it's definitely different from her past solo material, in a good way. I find her first two albums very hit or miss. The high points are really really good but the low points are pretty miserable. This album, while not perfect, is a lot more consistent in terms of quality than the past efforts. Late Bloomer might be my favorite song she's ever done in her solo career.

Ty Segall's Manipulator is a bit of a curve ball in nearly the exact way Drop from Thee Oh Sees was earlier this year - both feel very intentionally subdued and groove-based in comparison to their much rowdier past material. I liked the album, and will surely wear it out for the rest of the summer the way I have all of Ty's albums, but this didn't make nearly as good of a first impression as his past albums have.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Has anyone mentioned the new Iceage single? Holy fuck me I'm loving that song. Some kind of cow punk with Nick Cave swagger in the video. Gonna be special.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the new Iceage single? Holy fuck me I'm loving that song. Some kind of cow punk with Nick Cave swagger in the video. Gonna be special.
    I absolutely love it! Between that and the recent Sinead cover, I feel like they're a band that has so far done no wrong.. Really gonna try to make it to their LA show in November.
    Last edited by FEELS; 07-30-2014 at 10:06 PM.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

"cow punk"

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

"Cowpunk" is very much a thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

it just sounds silly the first time hearing it

I understand why it has this name now

I probably never would have bothered to put it on had Icey not mentioned it, but Tom Petty's new one is the best collection of songs he's put out since Echo way back in '99. His albums between now and then have only gotten a cursory listen, so maybe there was some great stuff there, but a lot of it felt pretty uninspired. And not everything on the new one clicks, but there are some really good songs on it.

Also, Spoon's new one seems really good after one listen. Their albums usually take some time, though. The only song I didn't care much for was "Outlier"..."Rainy Taxi" and "Let Me Be Mine" were the standouts.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Re: Petty I liked "I Should Have Known It" off Mojo. As for the new one, the last track especially stood out to me on the first listen.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

If you like Prins Thomas or space disco in general, you'll probably like his new one. It's light and fluffy, overlong, pretty aimless, and doesn't really break with anything that came before it, but it's perfectly enjoyable all around. It's the kind of thing I'd be glad to have on my mp3 player if I was having a bad trip and wanted something to help me come down a bit. Also, he saves the best stuff for the back half of the album. If you're not really into this kind of stuff, you can skip it.
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 08-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

The new Caribou is good. It is unmistakably him. I don't think it lives up to the ridiculously high standards of Swim, but there's a lot to enjoy. It's a more low key, melancholy album throughout, the dance music influence is even more explicit this time, and there are shades of r&b all over the place (in the case of one song that I'm a little iffy on after one listen, it's just straight up r&b). I feel like he focused more on textures and rhythms than songs this time around. Not that there aren't songs, but nothing as immediately gripping as "Odessa" or "Leave House" or stuff from previous albums like "Melody Day." It seems like the kind of album that's going to very gradually reveal itself, but it's plenty enjoyable on first listen.

I think it's a really ace follow up to Swim and love the fact that its darker overall. "Back Home" is a great example of this moody feeling. Another stand-out track for me is "All I Ever Need"
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    The new Caribou is good. It is unmistakably him. I don't think it lives up to the ridiculously high standards of Swim, but there's a lot to enjoy. It's a more low key, melancholy album throughout, the dance music influence is even more explicit this time, and there are shades of r&b all over the place (in the case of one song that I'm a little iffy on after one listen, it's just straight up r&b). I feel like he focused more on textures and rhythms than songs this time around. Not that there aren't songs, but nothing as immediately gripping as "Odessa" or "Leave House" or stuff from previous albums like "Melody Day." It seems like the kind of album that's going to very gradually reveal itself, but it's plenty enjoyable on first listen.
    I'm glad this album has finally leaked. I received this album mid-June, but wasn't able to share it at the risk of loosing my position at my magazine. Anyways, I think the album is phenomenal and I agree with most of what Patrick said here. It follows in a similar direction as Swim, but I feel the album is a bit more house-oriented. Not a "house" album per se, but it has the feel and the spirit. If that makes any sense. Anyways, the songs don't flow like typical electronic music or verse-chorus-verse song structures either. They go their own way. Each song kind of moves like it is it's own miniature-film. That might sound a bit-hyperbolic, but its the best way I can find the put it. Instead of song-structure, he has chosen to focus on layers and textures and has achieved results that are not only gorgeous and moving, but highly danceable too. The best example of all of this coming together almost perfectly is the last section of the title track "Our Love."

This is definitely an album that rewards repeated listens. Once you give it a chance and open yourself up to it, you will find it reveals something new on each listen. The album is definitely making moves to be one of my favourite albums of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Ty Segall's Manipulator is a bit of a curve ball in nearly the exact way Drop from Thee Oh Sees was earlier this year - both feel very intentionally subdued and groove-based in comparison to their much rowdier past material. I liked the album, and will surely wear it out for the rest of the summer the way I have all of Ty's albums, but this didn't make nearly as good of a first impression as his past albums have.
    Interesting. I had a very different experience. This album grabbed me almost instantly. It feels to me like his most accessible album and the closest work he's done to something that might be heard on the radio -and not in a negative way. I think it works really well. He seems to have taken a little bit from all of his various projects and albums and put them into one really focused record (at almost an hour long it never seems to drag). At the moment, it's my favorite album of 2014 by a fairly wide margin and possibly my favorite Ty Segall work to date.

iLoveMakonnen - 9/27 - Catch One
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Afrika Bambaataa - 10/29 - Low End Theory
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

Happy with the new Caribou as an album but interested how it will translate live. May be a little sleepy but hopefully I'm way off. "Mars" and "Our Love" are the standout tracks so far for me.

I have never previously heard of Lab Partners, and this new album is really a fun listen for me. I can't tell if it reminds me of the early/mid-90s or the early '00s, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Are they any good live? I would love to try and catch them live. It looks like they played St. Louis a couple times in 2010, but they don't really seem to play outside of Ohio much now.

I have listened to the Spoon album once, and I really really liked it. I never really got into Transference, so hopefully this one brings me back on board. I will be seeing them in September, so that will probably solidify these new songs for me.

As I was going back through to think about my favorite albums of the first half of the year, I was sad to realize the new The Men album just hasn't held up the way I wanted it to. I know it's kind of a silly criticism, considering the band and the album in particular, but I wish they had put some tighter performance to record for this one. Several of them really sound like sub-par takes, in retrospect. There are several spots where beats are missed and the tempo lags or speeds ahead (and not in a good way). I kind of feel this way about New Moon, too, and it is making me reconsider my position on this band, which makes me sad, too.

I really like the Fujiya & Miyagi album and I am mad at myself previously ignoring this band. I have always known ABOUT them, but for some reason never found an occasion to actually listen to them.

The Haley Bonar album is a real grower for me. Digging it.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I heard the new Fujiya and Miyagi album, and it's their best one since the first album, by far. They went kind of blah for awhile, but that first record is so much fun.

I don't have the same complaint about the Men record, but I have found that I don't have any particular drive to listen to it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Sleeping on that new Fujiya & Miyagi. I remember hearing a song and thinking it sounded good in the way their first album did, which was super fantastic, so I'll get on that.

Been catching up on listening, including some stuff from the Quietus mid year list. Bong - Stoner Rock is a pretty good drone metal (or even just straight up drone in a lot of places) album, two fairly long tracks. It gets a bit samey, but it's drone, so that happens. Still really enjoyable. John Harle & Marc Almond - The Tyburn Tree (Dark London) is fairly interesting if you can dig a little bit of theatricality, which hey, it's Marc Almond, that should be expected. That dude doesn't quite get the respect he deserves, he's done so much outside of just Soft Cell. The Laibach album sounds dated in many different ways depending on which song you're on. Ab-Soul's album had some good beats and moments, but I don't know, I feel like hip-hop has gone super bro-ed out lately and it rubs me the wrong way. Finally got all the way through Agalloch's The Serpent & The Sphere, and aside from my own personal failing of kind of mentally checking out a bit half way through metal albums, it's really impressive and well done, definitely a highlight of the genre that I've heard this year.

I don't normally have that problem with metal albums, but I have had trouble paying attention all the way through the new Agalloch. I really enjoy the first half.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Been really getting into the new Shabazz Palaces, FKA twigs, and Caribou records.

He's been kind of a prick as of late, but the new Thurston Moore record featuring Debbie Googe and Steve Shelley sounds exciting.

Has anyone listened to the "new" Lewis record Romantic Times? I've haven't found it anywhere, but I've been loving L'Amour.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If you like Prins Thomas or space disco in general, you'll probably like his new one. It's light and fluffy, overlong, pretty aimless, and doesn't really break with anything that came before it, but it's perfectly enjoyable all around. It's the kind of thing I'd be glad to have on my mp3 player if I was having a bad trip and wanted something to help me come down a bit. Also, he saves the best stuff for the back half of the album. If you're not really into this kind of stuff, you can skip it.
    Ha, I forgot about this album, but you summed up my sentiments about it.

I've been really enjoying Strand of Oaks - Heal. 2014 has been a good year for DADROCK.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Ooh yeah, I really like the Strand of Oaks album, too. There are a couple clunkers (like the unlistenable title track), but the good ones really soar. It doesn't help that they lead with the three best songs as pre-release singles (JM, Goshen 97 and Shut In), so expectations were set ridiculously high.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

2 songs in and this new Pallbearer album is absolutely insane. Heavy and sludgy, but the guitar work and the compositions are absolutely gorgeous. I'm getting some serious Black Sabbath vibes as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

^ I love it. One of the best releases this year for me. I also think it's really accessible for the people here that don't normally listen to metal.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I dug whatever song NPR premiered a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I have never previously heard of Lab Partners, and this new album is really a fun listen for me. I can't tell if it reminds me of the early/mid-90s or the early '00s, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Are they any good live? I would love to try and catch them live. It looks like they played St. Louis a couple times in 2010, but they don't really seem to play outside of Ohio much now.

I have listened to the Spoon album once, and I really really liked it. I never really got into Transference, so hopefully this one brings me back on board. I will be seeing them in September, so that will probably solidify these new songs for me.

As I was going back through to think about my favorite albums of the first half of the year, I was sad to realize the new The Men album just hasn't held up the way I wanted it to. I know it's kind of a silly criticism, considering the band and the album in particular, but I wish they had put some tighter performance to record for this one. Several of them really sound like sub-par takes, in retrospect. There are several spots where beats are missed and the tempo lags or speeds ahead (and not in a good way). I kind of feel this way about New Moon, too, and it is making me reconsider my position on this band, which makes me sad, too.

I really like the Fujiya & Miyagi album and I am mad at myself previously ignoring this band. I have always known ABOUT them, but for some reason never found an occasion to actually listen to them.

The Haley Bonar album is a real grower for me. Digging it.
    Re: The Men - I hear ya, but loose/sloppy is kinda their whole aesthetic, and they've got as natural an instinct for making that kind of loose playing work to their advantage as any act I've heard in recent memory.

Tomorrow's Hits isn't as strong as New Moon or Open Your Heart, but I still enjoy it, and still really dig three or four of it's tracks, esp. Another Day, Pearly Gates, and Settle Me Down.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

The new Cymbals Eat Guitars record is the truth.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am really, really loving Imogen Heaps' new album, Sparks. It's lush and layered and just beautiful.

Also, Mark Lanegan's No Bells On Sunday EP is really good. it is mostly minimalist electronic production, which is interesting for Lanegan, though the songwriting itself is pretty standard fare for him, which is good.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Re: The Men - I hear ya, but loose/sloppy is kinda their whole aesthetic, and they've got as natural an instinct for making that kind of loose playing work to their advantage as any act I've heard in recent memory.

Tomorrow's Hits isn't as strong as New Moon or Open Your Heart, but I still enjoy it, and still really dig three or four of it's tracks, esp. Another Day, Pearly Gates, and Settle Me Down.
    I think you meant Another Night.

and that's my favorite song of the year so far. Favorite song released by anybody in 2014. that one.

I seem to be an outlier on my love for this album. Obviously, humanity is doomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.