Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

One listen through the Wreaths album, and I love it. Nice find. Musically, it is spot on for me, but the vocals, while not a deal-breaker, bring down the songs a bit from what they could be. I recognize that is just a personal preference thing though
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

really diggin' the Hunterchild album, its sexy, dark and those moody arrangements!
    Papi Piratón!

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    One listen through the Wreaths album, and I love it. Nice find. Musically, it is spot on for me, but the vocals, while not a deal-breaker, bring down the songs a bit from what they could be. I recognize that is just a personal preference thing though

Glad you guys really like the Wreaths album. Told some of the guys this past weekend I was doing my part and spreading the word on the Internets. They will be playing this weekend in Asbury Park with Kurt Heasley (Lilys) sitting in for some of the set. Should be good.

Finally got around to DeMarco's Salad Days, overdue I guess? That was a nice surprise for me this week.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i'll also give wreaths the thumbs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    I've listened to Ghost Stories by Coldplay enough times now to share my thoughts. Always in My Head has a very nice sounding guitar riff throughout. It's an ok song but probably their weakest album opener of all time. Magic is the best song on the album. Jonny Buckland might be one of the most underrated guitar players of all time. He's the new Edge basically. Ink attempted to add a lot of spice to it but feels pretty generic and not something I'm interested hearing live. True Love is a pretty good song to be sad to. I really like the lyrics. The last minute is where the song really picks up with emphasis on guitar. Midnight is just very different to me, and I don't if I can ever get into it. A Sky Full of Stars helps make this album more memorable to me. This is the best Aviici affiliated song of his young career. There's a reason this song went number one in 73 different countries or something because it's the best EDM song in the 2010 decade. The lyrics are really catchy. The beat dropping while combining that Coldplay sound on the guitar is awesome. I miss all the rainbows and paint Coldplay had a couple years ago but I'll give this album a low 7. Time for Chris Martin to embrace his divorce
    Ur so cute

I really like when he goes Woah! at 1:47 in Red Eyes.

Bo Ningen's new one is unsurprisingly awesome. Slider is on my shortlist for best songs of this year.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

the new Speak album, Gnarly Davidson Vs The Marlboro Men is really impressive. dude can rap his ass off and is funny as hell. He also knows when to get serious without being overbearing or corny. excellent production and thoughtful songwriting. his best work to date. here's the stream: https://soundcloud.com/user3105090/s...e-marlboro-men

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I liked it on first listen two days ago and now I can't stop listening to this. Absolutely great find. I don't really see the dream pop elements but the post-rockiness and shoegaze reverbs are hitting all the right spots. I can see myself listening to this all summer long.

If you're even a casual fan of The Walkmen, Hamilton Leithauser's solo album will be very enjoyable. It's a better than average solo album - predictably lacking the depth of the full band's output, but with lots of songs that showcase him doing what he does well. The album's closer, The Smallest Splinter, is the highlight of the album and was also the first song I heard from the record, which gave me misleadingly high hopes for it...such a good song. The one before it, Bless Your Heart is also fantastic. Not an album that makes me want to run out and see a live performance, though.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I woke up this morning with a bit of a song running through my head. I could distinctly recall the vocal melody but couldn't remember any lyrics that would help me search the song. After wracking my brain, I realized it was Possessed by Eagulls, so I listened to that one today. What a killer record.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I woke up this morning with a bit of a song running through my head. I could distinctly recall the vocal melody but couldn't remember any lyrics that would help me search the song. After wracking my brain, I realized it was Possessed by Eagulls, so I listened to that one today. What a killer record.
    I like the album quite a lot, but Im not completely won over by it. Not yet anyways. With that being said, "Possessed" is probably one of the best songs of the year so far.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Easily one of my favorite albums of this year. I always seem to get a pissed off cure vibe from it. Also pretty excited for this show then the next day the faint should be a good weekend.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

That Speak song is awesome. LIKE VERSION 2 OF MAJIN BUU. Fuck yes.

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    the new Speak album, Gnarly Davidson Vs The Marlboro Men is really impressive. dude can rap his ass off and is funny as hell. He also knows when to get serious without being overbearing or corny. excellent production and thoughtful songwriting. his best work to date. here's the stream: https://soundcloud.com/user3105090/s...e-marlboro-men

this is fire!

I'm only one listen through but so far Royksopp & Robyn's Do It Again has really lived up to my expectations. For being only 5 tracks there is really a lot to unpack and process with two of the tracks (opener and closing track) stretching to nearly 10 minutes in length, one of them being a fantastic instrumental. I would consider it more of a Royksopp project with Robyn sitting back and letting them carry the lengthier tracks, but she plays a big role on the shorter tracks in the middle.

Here is a link to the stream of the new Parquet Courts album, Sunbathing Animals.

Sunbathing Animals
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

The new Fucked Up album Glass Boys is a beast. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of David Comes to Life, so my expectations were lowered for this new one, but it surpassed them by lightyears. This album is nearly on par with The Chemistry of Common life, and I'll be damned if "The Art of Patrons" isn't one of the best damn songs of the year.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Right Now I'm listening to a s/t by Nun which can be Confused with 1970s the Nuns. Well, Nuns are a syth new wave band from Melbourne and my guess is they are highly influence by Soft Cell.Since they have this dark dance new wave sound / Sex Dwarf sound. Here's their bandcamp page with their debut album.
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

If you like Broadcast, Stereolab, or Melody's echo chamber you should give a listen to the Soundcarriers new album Entropicalia. It aint exactly re-inventing the wheel but it's still really dam good in the scape of 60s/70s lounge music. Its on Julians Houses' label Ghost Box.(Close collaborator with Broadcast) Heres a song from the album.
    Last edited by ambient sounds; 05-30-2014 at 02:29 AM.

The new Orwells record is wonderful. One would think it'd be good enough for them to make a real splash, but I also thought the same thing about that excellent Pangea album from earlier this year that people seem to still be sleeping on.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

God, that new War on Drugs is a killer headphone listen.

Just Saying.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Wasn't really sure where to throw this, but here is the [adult swim] singles schedule for this year -

Adult Swim Singles Schedule
    June 9th - Giorgio Moroder
    June 16th - Machinedrum
    June 23rd - Destruction Unit
    July 4th - Fatima Al-Qadiri
    July 7th - Tim Hecker
    July 14th - Speedy Ortiz
    July 21st - Sleep
    July 28th - Future (w/animated video)
    August 4th - Diarrhea Planet
    August 11th - Oozing Wound
    August 18th - Captain Murphy
    August 25th - Deafheaven
    September 1st - RP Boo
    September 8th - Mastodon Feat. Gibby Haynes
    September 15th - Run The Jewels
    September 22nd - KA

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    God, that new War on Drugs is a killer headphone listen.

Just Saying.
    New Hundred Waters album is a really fun headphone album as well. Looking forward to their tour.

Same with new Kasabian. So many intricacies to enjoy.

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but would recommend St. Paul & the Broken Bones's Half The City to anyone who are fans of Alabama Shakes (produced by Ben Tanner of Alabama Shakes) and Charles Bradley. A 7 piece band and heavy with throwback soul and blues. The album unlikely contains any future classics but is full of southern comfort and is an easy album to listen front to back.

The new Hercules and Love Affair album is some really fun dance-pop

I really liked Hercules and Love Affair's new one on my first listen. Thanks for reminding me to return to it.

And I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but The Brian Jonestown Massacre's Revelation is absolutely atrocious garbage. "Memorymix" is the only track that I could stand to listen to again, and it's only alright.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

You should also note that you don't like BJM as well .
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

That isn't true at all. I'm not incredibly familiar with their catalogue, but enjoyed Take it From the Man! Thank God for Mental Illness and Give It Back! Revelation is bland as fuck and drawls on and on. I'm all for psych-tinged meandering and jams if it's aurally provocative but this does nothing for me.
    Last edited by guedita; 06-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood