Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2014 Releases

The new Owen Pallet album is absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, it is his best since his debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I've had a hard time with the last two records from The Horrors, but really enjoyed the hell out of the new one. Not sure what the difference is or why, but I'll take it. Those last few minutes of I See You are some of the best in music I've heard this year so far.
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am surprised you didn't like Skying if you like Luminous, as they pretty similar in sound. But yes, the new one if fucking great.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    The new Owen Pallet album is absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, it is his best since his debut.
    Agreed; the electronic elements are folded quite nicely into his existing sound/approach.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    New Bo Ningen, III, now streaming on the Guardian's website: http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...e-album-stream
    Unsurprisingly, I'm completely enamored with this album as it really is a huge step forward from Line the Wall. Not only are the individual songs a lot more focused and varied stylistically, but (as mentioned in some recent interviews) you can tell the band put a lot of work into the production as there are many little details sprinkled in the mix. Hopefully they come back in the Fall/Winter for a proper headlining tour, as that ~30 minutes at Coachella was not nearly enough.

Unsurprisingly, I'm completely enamored with this album as it really is a huge step forward from Line the Wall. Not only are the individual songs a lot more focused and varied stylistically, but (as mentioned in some recent interviews) you can tell the band put a lot of work into the production as there are many little details sprinkled in the mix. Hopefully they come back in the Fall/Winter for a proper headlining tour, as that ~30 minutes at Coachella was not nearly enough.
    I haven't listened to this album yet, but I am still blown away how great the band sounded at Coachella. Their music was full of ecstatic burst of sound where it seemed like all 4 members were playing something completely different, and while this isn't something new, when some bands do this live, it comes across as white noise. Bo Ningen on the other hand, you could hear the intricacies of each an every instrument, even when the music was at its most chaotic. It was one of the major parts of why I enjoyed their set so much. They are all true masters at crafting the sound of their instrument and I really look forward to how it comes across on this new album, and your mentioning of how great the production is has me even more excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Talked to them after their W2 set. They are coming back starting in October and are hitting the west coast this time.

All of what you describe about the live show - each instrument cutting cleanly through the mix, despite the volume and everyone seemingly doing something different - is captured amazingly well on the album, and that's even just via a shitty web stream! The Guardian stream is done via an embedded SoundCloud link btw, so maybe you can play it on your phone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by stochasticism View Post
    Talked to them after their W2 set. They are coming back starting in October and are hitting the west coast this time.
    Fuck yes - thanks for asking! Rocktober indeed.

I'm listening to Sun Kil Moon's Benji on spotify for the second time. I'm not sure I want to add this to my library or really acknowledge it too much. It is just so heartbreakingly beautiful. Or beautifully heartbreaking. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by zachattacks11 View Post
    Lykke Li's latest album is pretty solid. It's much more gloomy than I expected and not as poppy as her previous two records. Most of the tracks feature softer percussion and a thinner sound which tends to focus more on her vocals. The real appeal here is that it never seems to drag on with a very short length (9 tracks, 30 min range), making replays pretty easy. Overall, it's very different and unexpected but I like what I've heard after 3 or so listens this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "What I'm saying here is the less Lykke Li the better."
    When there isn't any balance and the whole record is bleak, sure. I still enjoyed it, but I would have prefered a few tracks that had some more soul or energy. If she had stretched the album out to 40 or 45 minutes it would have been a rough listen.
    It's her Sea Change record. Just looking at the song titles makes me think someone fucked her over badly. Was a rough first listen as I don't think her voice is strong enough carry such bleak material, but after my 3rd listen I started catching the nuances in the music and I'm really liking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

Headphase recommended Wreaths' self titled in the dynamic thread and it is absolutely killer psych-dream pop. I definitely second his recommendation.

12/16: A Winged Victory for the Sullen @ The Independent
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar
    12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood
    5/2: Sleater Kinney @ The Masonic

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I am surprised you didn't like Skying if you like Luminous
    Yeah, that is kind of surprising. Anyway, I like Luminous but I feel their previous two records are far superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Headphase recommended Wreaths' self titled in the dynamic thread and it is absolutely killer psych-dream pop. I definitely second his recommendation.
    Ooooh.

Glad ya like them. They are really great guys too. Spoke to their singer today and he said they have a split coming out soon and I really hope they break through outside the NJ/NYC circuit.

Yeah, this album is the shit.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Two of the finest original film scores (which also happen to feature in two of the greatest films ever made):
    http://www.superiorviaduct.com/colle...-soundtrack-lp
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Man, that new Swans album. What an absolutely *ugly* record (in the best way possible). I thought The Seer was the band pushing themselves to the limits, and I stand corrected. This one is just completely insane. Gira seemed to have used much closer to a baritone vocal for much of The Seer, and on this one he flat out screams like a madman for much of it, resulting in an even more unsettling listening experience. That 34 minute track is wholly unhinged, and I can't even imagine it being performed in a small space like the Roxy. After one listen (and I'm not sure how often I'll be in the mood for another 2 hour plunge into this album) I do think this isn't quite as good as the last one, but fuck. It's still better than almost everything else.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I listened to it on Thursday and I thought it was really, really great as well.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

This new Swans record. Oh mannnnn.

dude.............

that Little Dragon though.

I will listen to Swans on the way back up from work tonight. But on the drive down this morning.... holy shit. Little Dragon with the album to beat for me right now. What a fucking powerhouse of an album. These guys just keep getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    This new Swans record. Oh mannnnn.
    e3f7810fa9f582f4a2f997dc29de1e054ebe46fdc933257cdd93fe4f118112da.jpg

Still catching up on stuff this year, but I can't get over the new Horrors album. I See You is probably my song of the year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    dude.............

that Little Dragon though.

I will listen to Swans on the way back up from work tonight. But on the drive down this morning.... holy shit. Little Dragon with the album to beat for me right now. What a fucking powerhouse of an album. These guys just keep getting better and better.
    yeah i'm liking this too
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    It's her Sea Change record. Just looking at the song titles makes me think someone fucked her over badly. Was a rough first listen as I don't think her voice is strong enough carry such bleak material, but after my 3rd listen I started catching the nuances in the music and I'm really liking it.
    Good comparison. I agree. Even the bridge section on the title track has those Sea Change vibes with the string section and the acoustic guitar. She probably was screwed up pretty bad by her ex. I watched an interview where she said that she'd rather do any number of things than write a happy song, including bake a pie. It did take 3 or 4 listens to fully enjoy what she was hoping to achieve, but now I actually think it might even be better than Wounded Rhymes.

I think I'm late to the party (as usual) but that Todd Terje album is so much freaking fun. Had it on repeat all weekend.

Good comparison. I agree. Even the bridge section on the title track has those Sea Change vibes with the string section and the acoustic guitar. She probably was screwed up pretty bad by her ex. I watched an interview where she said that she'd rather do any number of things than write a happy song, including bake a pie. It did take 3 or 4 listens to fully enjoy what she was hoping to achieve, but now I actually think it might even be better than Wounded Rhymes.
    I don't need a happy song, but I was hoping for something that moves a bit. Give me a 'Get Some' or two, not happy, but up tempo. Lykke Li has such a unique voice, nine moody ballads seems like a waste. That said, I Never Learn is good, just not what I was hoping for. I particularly liked the last two tracks where there was a bit more going on.

The new Black Keys record isn't bad - it's just, as I think has been mentioned in here already, full of so many mid-tempo tunes that it doesn't play front to back all that well. There are some really good songs on it though, I think the songs from the album would fare best in a shuffled playlist of some kind, where you heard the songs on their own apart from the rest of the album.

Agalloch's new one is a total beast.

If You Knew Her by Zara McFarlane is an absolutely wonderful spare jazzy album. It works best when she's not going for too much, and just letting her voice, the piano, and the bass do the work. Angie La La and Love are completely stunning.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I stumbled across this album called Petite Soeur by Charles-Eric Charrier and I really enjoy it. It's not the kind of music I generally listen to, but for whatever reason this one just really connected with me. I'm not going to attempt to describe it, but nodata has it tagged as Ambient, Experimental, Jazz, Modern Classical, and Post Rock. It's all instrumental and it's the only thing I've been able to listen to in the last few days.

this is the opening track:

Killer Be Killed has members of Mastodon, Sepultura and Dillinger Escape Plan, and each member brings something strong to the table on this one. A good mix of groove-based thrash, hardcore and prog-metal, it's just jam city. A fun, enjoyable and good metal album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I've listened to Ghost Stories by Coldplay enough times now to share my thoughts. Always in My Head has a very nice sounding guitar riff throughout. It's an ok song but probably their weakest album opener of all time. Magic is the best song on the album. Jonny Buckland might be one of the most underrated guitar players of all time. He's the new Edge basically. Ink attempted to add a lot of spice to it but feels pretty generic and not something I'm interested hearing live. True Love is a pretty good song to be sad to. I really like the lyrics. The last minute is where the song really picks up with emphasis on guitar. Midnight is just very different to me, and I don't if I can ever get into it. A Sky Full of Stars helps make this album more memorable to me. This is the best Aviici affiliated song of his young career. There's a reason this song went number one in 73 different countries or something because it's the best EDM song in the 2010 decade. The lyrics are really catchy. The beat dropping while combining that Coldplay sound on the guitar is awesome. I miss all the rainbows and paint Coldplay had a couple years ago but I'll give this album a low 7. Time for Chris Martin to embrace his divorce